• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Seven PC teaser trailer (XSEED, Summer 2017, HD 60FPS)

sn00zer

Literally just finished...well got to the final boss anyway a few months ago....the hi res does not do this game any favors.....kinda like a lot of sub HD games I prefer the pixelated low res, gives it a bit of a 16bit vibe

No reason why you couldn't just select 640x480 and play it in full screen, then. Or slap a Reshade filter over it.

Wonder if we can mod this...you never know when someone could get the models prettied up somehow :p
I'll have to ask someone from XSEED more about this soon. Assuming the engine runs natively on Windows, then it shouldn't be hard for someone to hack it the hard way (via hex), but maybe this port team's made it easier for guys like JoseJL and Sewer56 to make some mods.

Literally just finished...well got to the final boss anyway a few months ago....the hi res does not do this game any favors.....kinda like a lot of sub HD games I prefer the pixelated low res, gives it a bit of a 16bit vibe

Yeah I can kinda see that. Especially in regards to some of the background assets which have absolutely no detail because they were never intended to be seen with any. Like a lot of the words on monuments and the statue in the background of the opening.

That said I think the characters look really good as do most of the dungeons and fields in the foreground. and the 60 FPS helps the game feel a lot more smooth.

So yeah I agree with you on some level. The aesthetic on the PSP is actually a huge part of what I like about it. But I think the 60 FPS will end up making this the version to play going forward regardless

Tom @ XSEED recently looked at the music folders for both Ys Seven PC and Trails of Cold Steel PC:

http://www.xseedgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/ys-vii-pc-port-announced-for-summer-release.29301/page-3#post-951469 said:
Both games have a "bgm" folder; in Ys Seven's case, it contains all OGG files, and in Cold Steel's case, it contains all WAV files.

I'm not seeing metadata for looping anywhere like in Falcom's native PC titles, however, so I'm guessing that's located in some other data folder, separate from the actual music tracks.

...And if it helps answer your questions, the OGG files for Ys Seven are all VBR with an average bitrate that seems to hover around 160-170 (according to WinAmp, though I'm getting 190+ pretty often from a quick sampling), and a 44 kHz sampling rate. This appears to be consistent with the OGG files present in native Falcom PC titles (Zwei II's music, for instance, all has roughly the same stats).

-Tom
tl;dr You get these games' soundtracks free from the get-go, and I suspect we can replace tracks so long as they match the BGM table and loop metadata (or however the ports/engines call and stream music audio).

Blue-kun

Tom @ XSEED recently looked at the music folders for both Ys Seven PC and Trails of Cold Steel PC:

tl;dr You get these games' soundtracks free from the get-go, and I suspect we can replace tracks so long as they match the BGM table and loop metadata (or however the ports/engines call and stream music audio).

Here's hoping people can find how to create loop points, seeing as it was really easy to do in both Felghana and Origin. Although for Seven there just aren't enough arranges to make this a really worthwhile endeavor, especially as most people don't seem to be too big on the Summer 2010 jdk album versions of Five Dragons and Crossing Rage.

But hey, Mother Earth Altago and Great Tree are awesome in that, so I might have to mess around with it! Especially Great Tree. It's such an improvement over the original...

Linky links for comparisons. OG vs Summer 2010.

Yessss! Ive been waiting for this for years.

One down now c'mon Celceta!
Your avatar reminds me, we still haven't gotten any recent Falcom-related artwork from Minako Iwasaki. I hope she can find more work from game developers soon...like maybe a promo piece or two for the Ys V remake, since she was the lead artist on that game.

pCeSlAyEr

Your avatar reminds me, we still haven't gotten any recent Falcom-related artwork from Minako Iwasaki. I hope she can find more work from game developers soon...like maybe a promo piece or two for the Ys V remake, since she was the lead artist on that game.

Ys V remake? Who, What, When?

Shifty1897

I always thought Ys Seven was regarded to be the best one. It was definitely my favorite. I don't know if I'm going to double dip but I'm thinking about it. Do we know if this is 14.99 or 19.99?

15 bucks seems to be the magic number for me.

I always thought Ys Seven was regarded to be the best one. It was definitely my favorite. I don't know if I'm going to double dip but I'm thinking about it. Do we know if this is 14.99 or 19.99?

15 USD would be great, especially for European buyers. But I'm expecting 20 USD with a launch discount since there's new port work. XSEED should price this lower to get more competitive and build better launch momentum, especially since it's an older game which isn't as pretty as Zwei II releasing around the same time.

Ascheroth

Probably not below 20$/€ with a -10% launch discount.

Eila

Oh yeah I just realized since this is a new port it doesn't seem XSEED is using the HD textures from the chinese PC port :(
Can't really find much gameplay of the old PC port to make more comparsions. I have no idea just how much they remade with the port, but as far as I know it was pretty barebones and 30 fps.
twsEj49.jpg

r2DjQmt.jpg

sorathecrow

Neo Member
Oh yeah I just realized since this is a new port it doesn't seem XSEED is using the HD textures from the chinese PC port :(
Can't really find much gameplay of the old PC port to make more comparsions. I have no idea just how much they remade with the port, but as far as I know it was pretty barebones and 30 fps.

I wonder if it would be possible to just drag and drop the Chinese textures into this version of the game? Either way, if I have to choose, I'll take 60 fps over textures.

Blue-kun

I'm so ready. Now if only Durante would show up and say "surprise, I worked on this port as well!".

One can dream.... Seriously though, wish they'd tell us the price too, so I can get ir preordered or something.

EDIT: Yo, what's up with those recommended settings? Min you need an i5, and then for recommended it's asking for a relatively new i5 CPU, quad-core and all. This... is still a PSP game from what it looks like, so how come? Did they only have these PCs to test it on?

MrT-Tar

Despite being a huge JRPG fan, I've honestly never played a Ys game before. I even own some of the games on GOG (Origin, I & II Chronices +, III remake, VI).

Am I correct in thinking that by the end of this year, only V won't have an official English translation? IIRC IV has a Vita remake (but will probably sometime get ported to Steam/GOG) and V has a PS2 remake that was never localised but may be in the near future.

Blue-kun

Despite being a huge JRPG fan, I've honestly never played a Ys game before. I even own some of the games on GOG (Origin, I & II Chronices +, III remake, VI).

Am I correct in thinking that by the end of this year, only V won't have an official English translation? IIRC IV has a Vita remake (but will probably sometime get ported to Steam/GOG) and V has a PS2 remake that was never localised but may be in the near future.

If you want to go by 'numbers', then, yeah, by the end of the year only V won't have any versions avaible officially in english. That said, V isn't really a good game and is considered by many the black sheep of the series, so Falcom are bound to remake it sooner or later, and chances are we're getting it in english then.

IV was remade by Falcom as Memories of Celceta, and right now is a Vita exclusive, but if Seven PC does well then I imagine there's no reason it won't see a release on Steam as well, as you said. It's curious because the IV remake is the first time Falcom themselves worked on that story, since the two existing versions of it, Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys, had been developed by other companies who licensed it from them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, holy shit -- Cold Steel AND Ys Seven in August. That's awesome. I just started a new playthrough of SC that I actually intend to finish this time, because I've realized what a Falcom backlog I've got piling up here. It's a good problem to have.

Needless to say, I'll buy Ys Seven as soon as it's up on GOG. And I can't wait for the inevitable (I assume?) Celceta port whenever that happens. Both that and Seven deserve to be freed from shitty hardware.

Tohsaka

I guess they're trying to get this out before Ys 8 releases, was hoping we'd get Zwei!! 2 first since it was announced first and I haven't played that yet.

preta

Lol, holy shit -- Cold Steel AND Ys Seven in August. That's awesome. I just started a new playthrough of SC that I actually intend to finish this time, because I've realized what a Falcom backlog I've got piling up here. It's a good problem to have.

Needless to say, I'll buy Ys Seven as soon as it's up on GOG. And I can't wait for the inevitable (I assume?) Celceta port whenever that happens. Both that and Seven deserve to be freed from shitty hardware.

Well, technically, there's the Joyoland PC port of Celceta already, which can be patched with the full Vita localization as well as 60 fps, so it's already freed from the Vita. It'd still be much better to have an official localized PC release too of course.

I imagine it won't be for a while that we get an official release, though, since selling it shortly after Ys VIII would just serve to make it look worse in comparison.

I imagine it won't be for a while that we get an official release, though, since selling it shortly after Ys VIII would just serve to make it look worse in comparison.

True, but I imagine Xseed will release Velveeta on PC eventually.

After all, Ys VI hit Steam after its sequels, even though it's easily the worst of that "trilogy" (Ark/Oath/Origins).

Negator

Im glad this is getting a PC release. I didnt want to have to buy a Vita TV to play this with a regular controller. The game was fun but constantly charging the attack on the vita dpad was murder on my right hand.

I don't like the horribly filtered UI (I wish it was optional), but I'm definitely getting the game on release. Can't wait to play Ys Seven for the first time.

I'm up to work on the OT, but more as a collaborator. Most of my focus's reserved for the Zwei: Ilvard Insurrection OT.

I guess they're trying to get this out before Ys 8 releases, was hoping we'd get Zwei!! 2 first since it was announced first and I haven't played that yet.
Zwei II has the luxury of less genre and series competition, even in early-to-mid September, while Seven's gonna look ancient next to VIII once that launches. So XSEED's prioritizing releases as much as they should in such a tight calendar.

After all, Ys VI hit Steam after its sequels, even though it's easily the worst of that "trilogy" (Ark/Oath/Origins).
The Ys VI release has one cool advantage: a digital copy of the game's OOP artbook, one of Falcom's best. For $20, it's better value than you'd expect, and the other changes made to Ark itself help make it more attractive even to anyone who knows or expects it to play worse than Oath/Origin.

The Ys VI release has one cool advantage: a digital copy of the game's OOP artbook, one of Falcom's best. For $20, it's better value than you'd expect, and the other changes made to Ark itself help make it more attractive even to anyone who knows or expects it to play worse than Oath/Origin.

True true.
Though to be honest, none of the added features in the Steam release rectified the worst aspects of Ys VI, such as many of the bosses having godawful hit-boxes.

For sure, and that's why I get a little puzzled when people say Ark's a better game than Seven (though I totally get Ark being more of a favorite since its advantages over Seven are notable). Seven's boss selection ranges from solid to great, and hitboxes rarely become an issue.

Aeana

For sure, and that's why I get a little puzzled when people say Ark's a better game than Seven (though I totally get Ark being more of a favorite since its advantages over Seven are notable). Seven's boss selection ranges from solid to great, and hitboxes rarely become an issue.

7's boss selection ranges from "flash guard" all the way to "flash guard"

The timing on flash guards was ridiculously easy.

Granted, Falcom had to account for the low frame-rate, but I think they went a little too far and trivialized boss battles.

MrT-Tar

If you want to go by 'numbers', then, yeah, by the end of the year only V won't have any versions avaible officially in english. That said, V isn't really a good game and is considered by many the black sheep of the series, so Falcom are bound to remake it sooner or later, and chances are we're getting it in english then.

IV was remade by Falcom as Memories of Celceta, and right now is a Vita exclusive, but if Seven PC does well then I imagine there's no reason it won't see a release on Steam as well, as you said. It's curious because the IV remake is the first time Falcom themselves worked on that story, since the two existing versions of it, Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys, had been developed by other companies who licensed it from them.

Thanks for the info. I really need to get started with the series sometime soon. Is there a general consensus regarding the best game in the series to get started on?

Thanks for the info. I really need to get started with the series sometime soon. Is there a general consensus regarding the best game in the series to get started on?

I recommend The Oath in Felghana and Ys: Origin. You really can't go wrong with those two.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

At least you get 2 or 3 shot if you mess up though so while the fights are a bit simpler they are still hyper punishing and are still about learning the patterns and timings. If you played normal only and mashed your way through it then *shrug*

We'll see how flash guard timing works at 60 FPS, depending on how the port team handled that. The English fan patch for Celceta fixes Flash move timing back to how it's supposed to work on Vita, but it didn't do that at first because of how animations work.

As for the hot take, I don't agree that bosses are trivial in Seven. It's easy to say I could or can one-shot these fights, but a few (like Kava Kelos and some of the Dragons) give a lot of resistance and surprises when you're first learning them. Celceta's much worse with boss design since, with or without mastery of Flash moves, their attack patterns, hitboxes, and longer duration overall just sucks. Only a few of the bosses are good or even approaching great (Elvaron, Krell (both phases), maybe
Gadis
, and
Eldeel
). Some bosses in Seven have more patterns/phases than some Oath/Origin fights, too, even if they're easier.

In all fairness, I completed Celceta and I don't remember ANY of the bosses.

I know I should have played on the harder difficulties, but normal in the earlier Ys games was still a pretty stiff challenge. I (incorrectly) assumed that would carry over to Seven/Celceta.

Blue-kun

All up in the air, really. The Ys series has changed a lot over the years and has seen a bunch of different gameplay styles so far. Ys I and II Chronicles, which you can get on Steam and PSP, are remakes of the original games that keep it very retro. Lush 2D graphics, 'bump' system combat, where there's no action button (well, Ys2 has magic, but you don't swing a sword) and you run into enemies to damage them and so on, so forth. It's pretty functional, but personally speaking I don't find them among the best the series.

Then the version of Ys3 you'll play is the remake, Ys: The Oath in Felghana. This is basically a 3D action platformer that is considered by most of the english-speaking Ys fanbase to be the 'best Ys' (alongside Origin). You control Adol and basically have access to a jump, an attack button that can do up to 6-hit combos and another button used for different kinds of magics, each with their own properties. Wind will let you fly over platforms and hit enemies while Adol turns into a whirlwind, Fire will shoot fire balls, Earth is a dash that gives you invincibility frames/guard and so on, so forth. The games feature exploration akin to a very, very lite Metroidvania-style game, where new magics allow you to reach new places and the combat is really fast paced, arcade-y.

If you're looking for what's most likely to be called a fan-favourite, at least here on GAF, Felghana is probably a safe bet. All of the above can also be said for Origin, but this one does not have Adol, the usual hero of the Ys series, instead focusing on three different characters, Yunica, Hugo and <redacted>.

Memories of Celceta, the remake of Ys4, runs on the 'party system' engine, so to speak. It's the engine that debuted with Ys Seven and has now been used for Ys VIII, as well. You control a character while having two AI companions and can switch between them on the fly by pressing a button. The games have a bigger emphasis on story and dialogue, with Seven and Celceta being a 20+ hours romp, whereas VIII can reach easily up to 40+ hours.

The first two games with this engine (Seven and Celceta) lacked a jump button, which VIII has introduced again, but even then most of the exploration is focused on filling a map and basically going around the world. There's no 'platforming' anymore, and the magic system is non-existent. It was replaced by an actual skill system, with each character having different skills (think like skills in regular JRPGs) that can be learned through different methods, be it automatically or by repeatedely using a certain weapon, and you can assign them to a face button. By pressing R1+X, for instance, you'll use skill a, R1+O will be skill b and so on, so forth.

The party system games also feature a system called 'Flash Guard', which if you guard on the right moment, will make you invunerable to damage from enemies. A successful Flash Guard also makes you dish out extra damage for a short while, so the game encourages you to master the technique in order to destroy bosses faster. Celceta and VIII also have 'Flash Move', which works the same way, but instead of guarding, you press a button for the dodge roll. Timed correctly, it slows down everything around you, allowing the player to basically walk around invincible for a couple seconds and dealing a lot of damage in a short period of time where the enemies can't keep up.

As you can imagine (hi, that avatar), I'm pretty big on pretty much every Ys game ever released (except VI, bleh), but right now my favourite is Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. I enjoy the gameplay in the party titles the most and am a huge fan of Flash Guard/Flash Move system. The bigger focus on actual JRPG systems like the skill system also pleases me, and I'm not really averse to Ys' storytelling, either. That said, I wrote this huge tl;dr mainly to give you an idea of the three 'main types' of Ys games that are out there, and from here on you could just try them and see which one works best for you. For retro, Ys I & II Chronicles, for 'Action Platformer', either Felghana or Origin, and for a starting point of the party system games, I'd say Seven is probably the best.

In the end though, you can't go wrong with any of them (aside from VI, which I find subpar, to say the least).

In all fairness, I completed Celceta and I don't remember ANY of the bosses.

I know I should have played on the harder difficulties, but normal in the earlier Ys games was still a pretty stiff challenge. I (incorrectly) assumed that would carry over to Seven/Celceta.

Yeah, the only way to play 'party system games' if you want a challenge is Nightmare, with no healing items used. It makes them a lot better :)

Hopefully someone makes a mod to have the charge button held down at all times like what was added for Celceta. Playing this game hurt my hands due to the necessity to have that button held down at all times to refill SP.

Blue-kun

Hopefully someone makes a mod to have the charge button held down at all times like what was added for Celceta. Playing this game hurt my hands due to the necessity to have that button held down at all times to refill SP.

I didn't know I needed this but now I need it. While we're at it, it'd be nice to get a mod to change how you activate your EX skill too, to work like it does in Celceta and VIII. It was so easy to fire it off accidentally in Seven. Or, worse, having to pause the game to hold back L without firing it off whenever I got tense and let my finger off the shoulder button, lol.

I wish they had redone textures or something. I'm not trying to shit on them here for bringing this to the PC, but it looks like the PSP game running in PPSSPP, with some higher res 2D elements like the character profile pictures and such. I just wish it had a little bit more improvement. It's a great game though and people should play it.

That said, V isn't really a good game and is considered by many the black sheep of the series, so Falcom are bound to remake it sooner or later, and chances are we're getting it in english then.

I'm going to disagree with this hardcore. I feel like 75% of the people who say this, have never played Ys V (not saying you, just over the internet in general). Personally I had a really fun time with V, and it shits all over the shit stain train wreck that is VI. Seriously Ark is the absolute worst in the series, by a long country mile. V is different for sure, but it begins to introduce things that become more common in the modern Ys games, and while it's short, it's probably twice the length of Ys III.

Personally I feel people should stop being told not to play Ys V and allowed to try it for themselves. I'd play through Ys V about 10 more times before ever picking up Ark again.

*edit*
I had no idea so many people thought Origins was the best Ys game. I do not share my Ys taste with the rest of GAF if that's the case at all.

Blue-kun

I wish they had redone textures or something. I'm not trying to shit on them here for bringing this to the PC, but it looks like the PSP game running in PPSSPP, with some higher res 2D elements like the character profile pictures and such. I just wish it had a little bit more improvement. It's a great game though and people should play it.

I'm going to disagree with this hardcore. I feel like 75% of the people who say this, have never played Ys V (not saying you, just over the internet in general). Personally I had a really fun time with V, and it shits all over the shit stain train wreck that is VI. Seriously Ark is the absolute worst in the series, by a long country mile. V is different for sure, but it begins to introduce things that become more common in the modern Ys games, and while it's short, it's probably twice the length of Ys III.

Personally I feel people should stop being told not to play Ys V and allowed to try it for themselves. I'd play through Ys V about 10 more times before ever picking up Ark again.

*edit*
I had no idea so many people thought Origins was the best Ys game. I do not share my Ys taste with the rest of GAF if that's the case at all.

Mind you, I'm not telling people not to play V, I just don't think it's a very good game. Rather, I guess it'd be better to say I don't think it's a good Ys game. Everything about it screams 'random 90s JRPG', and it seemed like Falcom was aiming for a game that removed everything that made Ys... well, Ys. The action isn't fast-paced, graphics also missing that more colorful palette used in previous games giving way into a more 'realistic' approach, and even the music seemed to go for something waaaaay too serious and 'trying to be orchestra' as opposed to the usual prog/VGM stuff you'd usually find in Ys games.

I don't really like VI all that much either, but while I think it's flawed, it did lay the foundations of what would later become Felghana, which I find an absolutely amazing game. The music in VI was also pretty decent (even if the arrangements weren't that hot), and the story, for a while, was probably one of the most relevant ones for the overall Ys lore. So the game definitely did have some stuff going for it. So I guess that, if I had to pick one of them, it'd be VI, but ideally I just wouldn't play either of them again lol.

That said, different strokes for everyone and what not. And yeah, a lot of GAF has a sof spot for Origin. I'm with you there, as I think Origin is a few notches below Felghana, myself. The 'three characters' thing was a good idea on paper, but there just wasn't enough variety to justify replaying the same areas thrice, I think. On the other hand, I do find the bosses in Origin overall better than Felghana's, but then the latter's last boss is one of my favourite fights in gaming history because THE STRONGEST FOEEEE, haha.

But then Seven happened and that became my favourite, and now it's VIII because I was completely taken by the exploration and some of the stuff they did with that game near the end. Plus, party system combat's never been this good and the soundtrack is AMAZING. Sunshine Coastline everyday!

kubricks

I hope they change the charge mechanic to the one like YsVIII, I hate holding the attack button all the time. ;(

Top Bottom