• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A piece of my tooth just fell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon

I'm sitting here, reading up on E3 shit at 2:30am, chewing gum, and after around 30 minutes of chewing, the gum gently took a piece of my back tooth with it. It just fell out. It doesn't hurt, everything happened so calmly and smoothly, and i'm still in quiet disbelief. But i've got this huge gap in one of my teeth now with the remaining piece sitting on my desk, and it feels f'in weird.

I would contact someone else, but it's 2:30 in the morning. wtf

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Drink a glass of ice cold water to check if the nerves in your tooth are still alive. Then stuff the cavity with aluminum foil.
seriously, what did you expect? go see a dentist first thing in the morning.

Leon

I don't floss, but I brush. Had issues with teeth before, but nothing at all out of the ordinary, and certainly nothing like that...wtf

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That 5 gum will get you jacked up.

Ceekus

Sounds like one of those bad dreams where your teeth fall out. Don't worry, they're not real. I had one just like this, actually. It's late, so you probably fell asleep at the computer and this, too, is a dream. Punch yourself in the teeth and see if that wakes you up.

This happened to me once, the corner of a tooth at the back cracked off so i went to the dentist immediatley and needed a pretty big filling. The whole thing freaked me out and since then ive been brushing my teeth obsessively.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
It might be a sign that you are grinding your teeth at night. Your other teeth might have fractures in them. Best to go see a dentist and wear a night guard when you sleep.

I wonder why people have dreams about their teeth. I loathe them and makes me shiver thinking about it.

tokkun

My roommate was in Japan and he chipped a chunk of one of his front teeth out. He stuck it back on himself using superglue.

True story.

Desperado

Ceekus said:
Sounds like one of those bad dreams where your teeth fall out. Don't worry, they're not real. I had one just like this, actually. It's late, so you probably fell asleep at the computer and this, too, is a dream. Punch yourself in the teeth and see if that wakes you up.

God, I hate teeth dreams.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Fix The Scientist said:
This happened to me once, the corner of a tooth at the back cracked off so i went to the dentist immediatley and needed a pretty big filling. The whole thing freaked me out and since then ive been brushing my teeth obsessively.
You will be doing more damage to your teeth if you brush excessively b/c it strips your enamel.

Joe

crack_pipe.jpg

Thoren

Banned
part of one of my fang teeth are missing. it got chipped off somehow. Its not even cool like in anime either because I cant smile and have one tooth sticking out! god my life sucks!

also my front 2 teeth are partly-fake because I thought I could stand on my bike with no hands when I was younger and flew off the bike and landed on my face. then my mom let the tooth go down the drain on accident while she was cleaning up the blood

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I had a chip come off the side of my tooth last year, it's not a problem. I went to the dentist and my teeth were perfectly fine after an xray, they just patch it up and it feels like new again. Could be caused from making contact with a fork or something solid.

gblues

Banned
Poody said:
I wonder why people have dreams about their teeth. I loathe them and makes me shiver thinking about it.

Usually an anxiety dream--pretty common if you're stressed out about something or feel like you're losing control. Its close cousins are the falling dream and the naked-in-public dream.

Armitage

gblues said:
Usually an anxiety dream--pretty common if you're stressed out about something or feel like you're losing control. Its close cousins are the falling dream and the naked-in-public dream.

I've heard losing a tooth represents fear of object loss. Deep.

Omie

You should put the part of the tooth you chipped in milk, I remember hearing that somewhere, maybe the calcium helps perserve it?

Joates

Banned
Omie said:
You should put the part of the tooth you chipped in milk, I remember hearing that somewhere, maybe the calcium helps perserve it?

Yeah Ive heard that too, but step two in that process would be go to the dentist like now.

Eric P

Joe said:
/crack_pipe.jpg

crack rots teeth from the bottom of the tooth up to the gums

meth, no matter how you use it (smoke, snort, shoot), rots your teeth from the gums down.

the things you learn from friends who are social workers...

I'm sorry to say this, but you probably have Scurvy and you will die of a Heart failure.

BUT you can be safed by eating an apple or drinking juice with lots of vitamin C.

No seriously, go to a dentist.

Had this two weeks ago, it was already filled from a hole last year but now it just broke in half. They have to get the remaining piece out of there and I will have a hole between me teeth all my life now. Sucks, but thats life.

Do your drink a lot of Red Bull? I drank 4 cans a day for five years, thats why I was ****ed.

Goldrusher

You probably bit on something hard and cracked a while ago...now the gum (sticky) managed to loosen the broken piece.

Go to a dentist asap.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Had the same thing happen to me before twice. I ended up having to get a crown both times. Since I have quit chewing gum.

2DMention

Banned
Bump for my tooth drama.

Ok, so 2 months ago, I had some cavities and found out I needed some fillings. Got fillings. a week later, I had pain one of my teeth. The pain persisted for 2 months. Lived on aspirin for 2 weeks. On thursday, I went to the dentist and he said he could re-fill it or I could get a root canal. The re-filling sounded risky, so I decided to get a root canal. They put a temp crown on the tooth on fri. and when I was eating chinese food on fri. night, I heard a loud POP! sound and the tooth fell off. I don't feel any pain, thank God. Why does this shit always have to happen right at the beginning of the weekend? I'm already $2G on this, and if they have to put in a bridge or something, it will be expensive as fuck. I hope all they'll be able to put the crown in that's being made right now. Maybe it's good I found out about this cracked tooth now, because I wouldn't want it to happen when the permenent one is put in.

Thank God I've saved up money the past year and live with my parents, or I'd be murderkilled by these dentist bills.

2DMention

Banned
Another bump.

I was eating mac & cheese & Onion rings for lunch and my crown fell out. I think the cement just lost its hold. Hopefully they just have to put some more in. Thank god it didn't crack - that would be expensive as shit.

At least it didn't happen yesterday.

2DMention

Banned
Bump. It fell out AGAIN while I was eating tacos! I thought these dentists knew what they were doing! Now I have to go in yet again! I hope I don't have to get another crown fitted...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This exact same thing happened to me years ago. Was eating cereal, IIRC, and a third of one of my back tooths, the back of it, just cracked off. Same as you, there was zero pain etc. and I was bewildered by it. I was desperately worried, but in the end, all that was required was a (rather large) filling. No root canal. Years later and it's still fine.

Get yourself to a dentist though, get an emergency appointment if your dentist has a long wait time.

that happened to me when I bit down on some candy once. Chipped my molar. Went to the dentist, filled it. No problems. Should be easy. Unless you live in Britain.

Giard

2DMention said:
Bump. It fell out AGAIN while I was eating tacos! I thought these dentists knew what they were doing! Now I have to go in yet again! I hope I don't have to get another crown fitted...

Maybe you should change dentists. You know...just a suggestion.

YYZ

When I still had my baby teeth, I was chewing mad amounts of Hubba Bubba to read the comics and one of my teeth chipped, I thought one of the pieces of gum had a rock in it, but it was my fucking tooth!

Thankfully, I haven't had any problems with my adult teeth.

Dazzla

Half of one of my rear molars broke off just before Xmas. I was eating a toffee (mmm, brazilian darkness) and it just came off.

It was a tooth that has a root filling so the actual metal filling was in place like a centre pole and completely exposed with half of the tooth in my hand.

Had it temporarily filled in an emergency and now I've gotta get a crown. Quick £700...

Kyoufu

I have a confession to make.

I haven't been to the dentist since I was 9.
I'm 23

So I guess you know what my new year's resolution will be.

Chittagong

Gold Member
2DMention said:

That's exactly what you need. I have a fantastic dentist in London, and a similar problem as you did. He told me flat out that a filling isn't going to stay in the place where it was as so much of chewing concentrated there. He said he could do one, but that he would recommend a porcelain crown which is pretty much for life.

Only thing is that you'll need to pick the colour with care, because it can't be changed. So if you are ever to whiten your teeth, factor it in.

£680.

Half of one of my upper molars cracked and broke off a few months ago. I ignored it and other than the giant hole in my mouth I'm fine. It hurts for a few days and then it's fine. Get that shit fixed though, I work as a nurse on a Neuro unit and I've seen people die from tooth abscesses.

2DMention

Banned
Chittagong said:
That's exactly what you need. I have a fantastic dentist in London, and a similar problem as you did. He told me flat out that a filling isn't going to stay in the place where it was as so much of chewing concentrated there. He said he could do one, but that he would recommend a porcelain crown which is pretty much for life.

Only thing is that you'll need to pick the colour with care, because it can't be changed. So if you are ever to whiten your teeth, factor it in.

£680.

Thanks. That sounds about right. Good thing my dental insurance resets in like 3 days.

Moz La Punk said:
Had this two weeks ago, it was already filled from a hole last year but now it just broke in half. They have to get the remaining piece out of there and I will have a hole between me teeth all my life now. Sucks, but thats life.

Do your drink a lot of Red Bull? I drank 4 cans a day for five years, thats why I was ****ed.

Funny, I wrote this more than a year ago and I still drink red bull. not 4 a day anymore though. but my teeth are royal fucked. you cant see it (because its in the back of my mouth), but yeah, Im fucked. oh well. I can eat meat and lays crisps without chewing so Ill be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom