• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 (Switch cartridge) requires 16GB download for all features

ggx2ac

Update: NBA 2K18 is using an 8GB game card confirmed.

Credit to Shiggy:

81uskzzoyfl._sl1500_8lsxi.jpg

NoE seems to have stricter guidelines. Boxart has a big "microSD card required" notice, plus the box also mentions the download size in the note on top.

Credit to Pokemaniac for finding the following from NoA's support site:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27434

A microSD card (sold separately) is required to download NBA 2K18 for Nintendo Switch, in addition to 5GB per save file on the system memory. Please have the microSD card inserted before beginning the game download and ensure that you have a least 5GB of system memory (not on a microSD card) available.

Below are the storage space requirements:

Initial software download after purchase – 6.8 GB
Additional software update – 16.1 GB
Save file – 5 GB system memory per save file

Please note that a microSD card is required for both the digital and physical versions of the game. Additional information about this requirement is located on the game packaging and in the Nintendo eShop / Game Store.

On the eShop, the page for NBA 2K18 lists 22.9GB required space. Here, the initial software download hints at how big the physical game will be, 6.8GB. How is that the case? There would be no need for segmented download files unless 2K decided they weren't going to fit 22.9GB onto a 32GB game card due to costs currently.

Also, don't forget that you'll need 5GB of space for save data in the internal storage.

Switch owners want third party, AAA titles, but then are miffed by the fact that they require extra storage?

The game cart decision is on Nintendo, as is the internal storage. I have a Switch, but will be doing my multiplatform gaming on the PS4. If that's not an option, maybe just be thankful that the hardware is getting such great support at this time...?

Man, and I thought 128gb card was going to last for a while. I may need to look into a 200gb plus card soon and retire my 128 to my Note 4, sheesh.

Devs really aren't even going with the 16GB card?

This is the stuff I was talking about before Switch came out, but nobody wanted to believe it. This sort of thing will continue, more so if Switch starts getting big ports (bet DOOM is similar).

16gb cards are very expensive, adding greatly to manufacturing costs.

This is the stuff I was talking about before Switch came out, but nobody wanted to believe it. This sort of thing will continue, more so if Switch starts getting big ports (bet DOOM is similar).

Show me some receipts. How much more is it than 8GB?

Switch owners want third party, AAA titles, but then are miffed by the fact that they require extra storage?

The game cart decision is on Nintendo, as is the internal storage. I have a Switch, but will be doing my multiplatform gaming on the PS4. If that's not an option, maybe just be thankful that the hardware is getting such great support at this time...?

Yes, because ONLY Switch owners complain about exhorbitant space requirements for games. No other console owner does. Yup. And 5GB per save is ridiculous, objectively

prag16

Banned

Who are you responding to? Nobody here is saying that. So far people are mainly just complaining about a 5GB save file. Which seems like a legitimate complaint, especially if that save file MUST reside on the built-in storage.

I'm not liking this if this becomes a trend. You're asking people to pay full price up-front for an incomplete cart and then requiring an internet connection to get the rest. I get that in this day and age of patches and incomplete games an internet connection pretty much is a defacto requirement, but it rubs me the wrong way if you can't even get the base game without it.

I'm not sure what Nintendo can do but these cart costs are becoming a real problem and the system's only six months old.

Switch GameCards are expensive. Wondering if Bethesda will shell out extra cash for the 32GB flavors or not.

Probably not if 2K Games won't do it for literally their most lucrative sports franchise.

18-Volt

Thank god I've ordered that 400 gb Sandisk card.

Here's an idea for future Switch iterations: Two Micro SD slots. Or maybe three?

_Ryo_

To quote myself from the other thread.

Not that I can afford a Switch right now, and even though theres a lot of games I want to play on the system I would rather wait until all the kinks are worked out before owning one anyway. It is 100% unacceptable to me to have to be forced to download a game when you have a physical copy of it.

Why even sell a cart at that point?

Make it digital only and lower the price, since it basically already is a digital only title with only a demo on the cart.

Also 3-5GB per save on a hybrid? Are you fucking kiding me, 2K?

Corrected the dev/publisher.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing is for sure. Nintendo needs to address the save files issue and fast. Encrypted USB drives back-up system would be the fastest solution. Not the most elegant, but a solution nevertheless.

rudger

They said the cart would be playable without downloading anything, but I've yet to hear what modes are included in just the cart. Does anybody know?

Also, what the fuck at that save file?!

HotHamBoy

To quote myself from the other thread.

The Doom patch for a fresh install on PS4 is over 20 GB.

This is why so many of us were shitty about the 32gb Switch system memory. Even a 256gb (expensive!!) MicroSD card isn't going to cut it in the long run.

Shit, my 2 TB PS4 HDD is nearly full.

They said the cart would be playable without downloading anything, but I've yet to hear what modes are included in just the cart. Does anybody know?

Bet the save file is a way of them getting around an even larger 'base' file size, and it's used for caching etc (ie they cheat and put additional data in the save file that isn't just for saving).

TheMoon

It's already announced. DOOM is singleplayer only on the card, multiplayer is only available by downloading extra data (optional).

OmegaFax

I don't understand the save file either. I'm going to assume that it's 5gb per user, too, which is an insane amount if you share a system with someone else. Minecraft allocates 2gb per user and I thought that was understandable but 5gb is extreme.

ggx2ac

If you mean from the other Nintendo thread where the concerns arose. It was that you'd have access to some features of a game but not all of them unless you download the rest.

I don't know what comes with the physical version of NBA 2K18 yet.

Not interested in switch 3rd parties but I'm curious to hear about your download speeds.
I get about 7 GB/hour on switch wired compared to 21 on PS4 and that's still slow for my connection.

Ridley327

It's fine for consoles that come at a minimum of 500gb by default, for something like this it's is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem that players will be facing. Just to have a save file for the game, you need to give up nearly a quarter of your system's internal memory.

ggx2ac

Deeke[VRZ];249028154 said:
I was told by a PR rep that NBA 2K18 will be 25GB on Switch, not 22.9GB. Worth noting maybe.

When did you hear that?

Technically, we heard 25GB when Game Informer interviewed the devs weeks ago that they said they were targeting 25GB.

But now the game released, they managed to get it down to 22.9GB.

Top Bottom