• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

DaBoss

I think the first party software lineup is strong and fairly well focused to recapture or build a strong audience.

But I don't think the first party software lineup was ever a serious worry with Wii U to begin with.

You would be surprised what some others have posted.

Tiktaalik

- No Earthbound on the VC even though Mother 2 coming to Japan.

- VC still terrible in general as the system is not tied to a universal Nintendo account.

They did, son. They did.
This is one of the days where I'm proud to be a Nintendo fanboy at heart.

- No Earthbound on the VC even though Mother 2 coming to Japan.

- VC still terrible in general as the system is not tied to a universal Nintendo account.

You don't know either of that.
Earthbound COULD come to the west. But as Tomato from Earthbound Central pointed out, it's gonna be hard because of copyright issues.

They finally gave me reasons( freaking huge reasons ) to buy one this christmas.

Christmas is pretty fucking far away. The year just began, you know.

hongcha

Still no account system or could that come in the Summer update? I have a feeling they're never going to go down that road.

Also, GBA games for sale on Wii U but not 3DS is ridiculous.

Those are the only two complaints I have, otherwise it was a nice presentation. Seems like all the interesting new games they mentioned are at least a year away from release, though.

It was a good showing of at least SOME future. But given how far out most these seem it still highlights how not ready NIntendo was launching when they did.

This seems like things you announce and show last year before to highlight what is to come.

GRW810

Went in expecting Gamecube VC, came away so impressed I forgot all about Gamecube.

But I still want Gamecube on Wii U.

Definitely not. A step in the right direction? Absolutely. But everything is still too far away. They’re also still screwed when it comes to third party support.

Derrick01

Banned
Nope. Where are the new IPs? All I saw was monolith's game and that's assuming they don't call it Xenoblade 2.

More Yoshi
More Mario (Kart)
More Smash Bros
More Zelda rehashes

Enoooooooough already.

javac

Nope.

- Still no eShop on the Web which they announced in October 2011.
- Miiverse access on smartphones but no sign on 3DS.

Plus it is becoming increasingly obvious that Nintendo are struggling with HD development. Especially when it comes to juggling Wii U with support for the 3DS.

Also: Everything is still so far away. Two system updates to fix the slow OS over the course of SIX MONTHS?! Get outta here.

So Negative man :( So much awesome stuff is coming. In due time my friend, in due time T_T

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I doubt it answered everything, but Yoshi's Land and Xenoblade spiritual successor was enough to have me pumped. Absolutely pumped!

Of course, we didn't get a lot of dates... and a lot of "please wait a little longer" on stuff we knew was in development. Very annoyed that we still can't see anything Smash Bros. related, and even E3 will only show screens (at least that's what I remember Iwata saying).

This is such an amazing line up. The Wonderful 101. Bayonetta 2. new Wind Waker. Legend of Zelda with co-op. Mainline Super Mario title. Mario Kart. Wii U Party game(yeah it looks awesome silly fun!) Monolith Software game. Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Super Smash Bros 4 with interaction with 3DS version. New Yoshi game in the Yoshi's Island/Yoshi Story series. Pikmin 3 with cool new photo taking feature that will be great fun on Miiverse.

This is amazing and anyone who says Wii U shouldn't exist after this is just wrong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
At the end of the broadcast, Iwata more or less confirmed 3DS and Wii U third-party support as topics for future Nintendo Directs.

But regarding the latter, it's hard to be anything but pessimistic at this point. We'll see, I suppose.

Yeah, and I know this broadcast wasn't meant to address third party stuff at all. But, wrt the OP's question, that's still their biggest question mark area. We know/knew Nintendo would have some great stuff, and the confirmation is appreciated.

kitsuneyo

Everyone halfway through the stream: Meh, bring on the games, Iwata.

Iwata: Let's talk about games, but before that...

Everyone: Ugh D:

Iwata: 2 more games

Everyone: Hoooly shit!

Iwata: Here's another one

Everyone: FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Haha yup.

megalowho

The lineup they went through at the end sounds promising, some genuine surprises in there. They haven't nailed something like that in a while.

Not so happy about their VC plans though, and the first half of 2013 is still going to be pretty slow. Won't run out and but a Wii U after watching, but certainly more interested in one than I was before.

JDSN

Banned
Yeah at least mines, aside from Retro a lot of cards were revealed and Iwata apologized for the ones they couldnt. Also KAMIYA ASKS!

Zia

No, the Virtual Console situation is shameful and they've pretty much confirmed Mother is dead in the West.

And then they announce Wind Waker HD. It's like having an abusive, charismatic husband.

If I had a Wii U then I'm sure this Direct would have put my mind at rest. But as someone who doesn't own a Wii U, now I know to wait until at least Christmas to try and get a cheap console.

Also slightly disappointed that apart from some mini game crap in Wii Play U, and I guess taking photos in Pikmin 3, we still have no indication that the Gamepad is bringing us exciting new ways to play games (other than when sat on the toilet, if you toilet is next to your tv at least). I would have thought that amongst all the announcements and updates, Nintendo would have something to show that actually justifies their decision to introduce the tablet screen rather than make a half-way powerful machine. Hopeful there are some inventful and non risk averse 3rd parties out there.

It just seems like Wii HD. Same stuff, different console, one number higher after the game title. Nothing to recapture my interest in Nintendo as a first party developer or hardware manufacturer. The luster of their key franchises wore off in the GC era. HD Windwaker would be nice to play, but I can't justify buying a console just for that.

It seems a lot of people are happy, so they are doing something right, but I just don't get excited for many Japanese games theses days, especially onese that are reaching double digit iterations. Mechs, anime aesthetic, Japanese fantasy, games targeted to children, I just don't enjoy them anymore. I guess I shouldn't be surprised nothing wowed me when I am clearly not the target demographic. A shame the gamepad isn't HD res. Would have been great playing Winwaker HD on that.

Bgamer90

Banned
I honestly don't get the overwhelmingly good response.

If Mario Kart and 3D Mario aren't ready in time, then the only major game the Wii U will have is Zelda Wind Waker HD. It's funny seeing so many get so excited for it when I remember all of the hate the original game got 10 years ago due to its art style.

So I guess people are just excited due to the announcements of the games discussed since it seems like the Wii U won't get the ball rolling until 2014.

I think it's a step in the right direction, but everything is very Japan-centric. There's nothing there that really widens the appeal outside of casuals, Nintendo superfans and otaku.

I expect that Retro's title (and who knows, maybe one or two other collaboration titles to be announced in the future) will mark an attempt to appeal to the Western HD core/adult/dudebro/whatever you want to call it market.

The trouble is, assuming Nintendo actually has any interest in that market, they needed to make a play for it from day one, not at a point when at least one other next-gen console will be competing on store shelves.

FGMPR

Banned
No. What was shown looks awesome, but its still a handful of games tied to a system with shitty 3rd party support and a backwards, anti-consumer account system that pretty much disqualifies me from spending money on the e-shop.

Into

I do not think many people were wondering whether Nintendo would make a Mario Kart, Super Smash or a Mario Kart game for the Wii U. They will deliver 1st party titles, you can count on that.

The biggest question was and still is what kind of 3rd party support the system will get. And this question is difficult to answer and its something that will take time to really find out

Glass Joe

A whole lotta "wait until Spring" but at least they addressed some concerns. Their virtual console solution is acceptable. Not perfect but in line with one of the theories I proposed on the board. Basically upgrade your NES titles for $1.00 or SNES for $1.50. And probably slowly dripped out to us... And I imagine they'll talk Genesis etc once they get a game plan for that.

Why the heck would GBA be added to Wii U VC? Unless they plan on intersecting the shops with 3DS? Or can the 3DS really not emulate well enough? But there's ambassador stuff.... Some questions still on that one haha.

Mario007

This felts pretty much as if MS at E3 announced said:

"Hey guys, new Xbox is awesome. And what's more we're going to release a new Halo, Forza and Gears on it. We're still developing them but they'll be there some time in the future. Meanwhile he's a Halo 2 remake and Devils Souls for the new Xbox".

By which I mean it's solid, but this won't help the Wii U much right now at all. It all seemed like they were desperate to show something, anything at all.

hongcha

This is such an amazing line up. The Wonderful 101. Bayonetta 2. new Wind Waker. Legend of Zelda with co-op. Mainline Super Mario title. Mario Kart. Wii U Party game(yeah it looks awesome silly fun!) Monolith Software game. Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Super Smash Bros 4 with interaction with 3DS version. New Yoshi game in the Yoshi's Island/Yoshi Story series. Pikmin 3 with cool new photo taking feature that will be great fun on Miiverse.

This is amazing and anyone who says Wii U shouldn't exist after this is just wrong.

Yes, a great line up for 2014. Seems like that's when many of those games will be released.

Brickhunt

They did good, More than I was expecting and got me more hyped for the console. Although they didn't have anything to show of the new Zelda, it was surprised how they were open about the direction they want it to take. And Wind Waker HD has got me, very, VERY, hyped.

If anything, my only disappointment is lack Retro or Metroid. He could at least say that Retro's title should appear in E3. but that's nitpick, Nintendo is the right step to put Wii U back on rails for me.

Top Bottom