• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Space Harrier coming to 3DS

@MUWANdo

Banned
And my 3DS is coming in the mail any day now. Superior timing!

Yeah, now you can have fun waiting years for this to leave Japan with the rest of us!

Seriously, they have a ton more Game Gear VC games than we do.. the international releases just stopped all of a sudden. It's extra irritating because they won't ever release any of the good stuff until they've released all the crap (ie Sonic).

jgkspsx

That's what we're getting though, the arcade game remade into widescreen with 3D. NOT the SMS 3D version of the game.

OK, the OP didn't say that. Did the source link in Japanese say that?

I couldn't recall well enough what the two versions looked like to tell from the screenshots. If true, excellent.

EDIT: Orrrrrr maybe I just missed the second word of the OP. And the screenshots look too high res to be SMS. Woo!

Jazzem

It blows my mind to think this game came out in 1985 originally. What it must have been like to see it at the time...I still think the game looks and plays amazing even now!

It blows my mind to think this game came out in 1985 originally. What it must have been like to see it at the time...I still think the game looks and plays amazing even now!

When I was a kid and saw this the first time in the arcade, my jaw dropped. Like many of the old Sega games, they were just all technically jaw breaking awesome. Very few games do that now - in fact, no games. Those were amazing times.

Dicer

Banned
OMG.....YES

One of my best acid trips was a night spent playing this game, like 8 hours straight.

Welcome to the fantasy zone indeed...I'm ready

I remember seeing it new in an arcade, it really was mind blowing. SEGA fucking ruled.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Yep, no brainer. They don't have to completely redo them like the Arika ports...just offer VC-like ports with option for 3D.

Yes they do. I swear to you it's not as easy as you think. They have to comply with the function of the depth slider, for one thing.

They've been killing it on the digital front lately.

Yeah, no kidding. In the past year alone, they've re-released Daytona USA, NiGHTS, a competent HD version of Sonic Adventure 2, the definitive version of Sonic CD, a fully english translated version of Monster World IV on all of the three digital console marketplaces, Jet Set Radio, and now this, complete with Sonic the Fighters' previously incomplete content being fixed up.

Hard to believe they kicked this gen off with terrible Backbone developed ports.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Used to love this game on my Atari even if it was a crappy port. I was a kid so I was oblivious to such things.

Stylus controls should work well with this game and having the action of a different screen shouldn't hinder the experience at all since that's how it's normally played.

The main theme is one of my favourite videogame tracks of all time.

Well it sounds like it was a good idea to wait on the Wii Virtual Arcade version. Never did find out if it supported pointer controls...

wondermega

Yes they do. I swear to you it's not as easy as you think. They have to comply with the function of the depth slider, for one thing.

whoa, yeah I never even thought of that. That's a pretty big roadblock - compounded with the fact that for a lot of these older games, I am sure there's a far amount of "the old code/assets are no longer available" plus "who wants to really bother untangling and testing all that code anyway?" Taking an existing rom and firing it through a 15-yr-old emulator is one thing, cost-effectiveness-wise... breaking into the code and futzing with it (especially for more advanced/"deeper into a system's lifespan" games where all sorts of technical wizardry/custom methodologies of the day were put into play) is likely a whole other issue entirely. Makes one realize why Nintendo was a lot keener to throw games like Urban Champion and Excitebike up there than something like, say StarTropics. If people were willing to pay top-dollar for these reissues (like $30-$40) in enough quantities then that would be more feasible, but we all know that just can't fly now.

That all being said, I don't see anyone doing much else with 3D re-releases beyond what we've seen, "but maybe Sega is just crazy enough to.."

Stylus controls should work well with this game and having the action of a different screen shouldn't hinder the experience at all since that's how it's normally played.

Would also be interesting to see how gyro controls would play on this one. Too bad it kills the 3D effect on the non-XL version, I've not seen the bigger device yet so I can't wonder too much if it's something they'll try or not (it's optional in StarFox)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, no kidding. In the past year alone, they've re-released Daytona USA, NiGHTS, a competent HD version of Sonic Adventure 2, the definitive version of Sonic CD, a fully english translated version of Monster World IV on all of the three digital console marketplaces, Jet Set Radio, and now this, complete with Sonic the Fighters' previously incomplete content being fixed up.

Hard to believe they kicked this gen off with terrible Backbone developed ports.

Don't forget Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown! PC versions of Sonic Generations and Binary Domain were nice, too.

EDIT: they're also responsible for tat one SF2 VC release with online multiplayer, IIRC.

Well it sounds like it was a good idea to wait on the Wii Virtual Arcade version. Never did find out if it supported pointer controls...

It doesn't, but there's a mode that uses the tilt sensor in the Nunchuk to move.

WhyMe6

Sprite Outrun would be nice and all, but I'd kill for a copy of Outrun reboot (like Online Arcade) on my 3DS <3

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
See? Digital-focused SEGA is the best SEGA. They went from crap level to being one of my favorite publishers in the last year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sega doing something right? Fucking world must be ending.

They've been killing it on the digital front lately.

I'm still waiting for people to catch on that SEGA has been doing a lot of good lately. Too many still think of them back in the mid-2000s, which was an extreme lowpoint for them. However, they've had a pretty good stride going on ever since 2008 and been getting progressively better, taking a lot of risks before their budget got into trouble (including publishing the Platinum games or Hyperdimension Neptunia, things like Valkyria Chronicles and Binary Domain, and the like), been doing fantastically on the digital front, and the core series of theirs have had a raise in quality recently (yes, even Sonic). They also have been using an excellent pricing strategy, with games like Sonic Generations, All-Stars Racing Transformed, Tekken, etc., all priced excellently and lower than the norm despite all being quality titles.

I'm really hoping the 'SEGA is a terrible company' stigma wears off soon.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well they still are kinda terrible in that they repeatedly and consistently sent games out to die by releasing them on the same day as other huge titles by competing publishers, without any real advertising or promotion. It's hard to feel too sorry for them when they kept cutting their own throat like that.

Top Bottom