• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 Supports OCULUS RIFT

Ahasverus

Color me surprised. So Dave Cox, the producer tweeted this image:

787340329.jpg

@CastlevaniaLOS
Walking around Dracula's throne room! Amazeballs #oculusrift

The first game is famous for its vistas just imagine what could be done with PC hardware and a new engine. Excited!

CastlevaniaLOS 4 jul

Watching Carmilla walking towards me.... Holy crap! Are they real ??!

787343123.jpg

He's talking about boobs, probably

Ionic

It would be amazing seeing this and the first one get Rift support. The Rift needs all the software support it can get leading up to its consumer release.

Grief.exe

I don't see how a 3rd person game will work with the Rift. I'm glad Konami is jumping all in with PC gaming though.

This won't work well at all. I can see implementations like this being what kills Oculus rift, just as half assed post production 3D is wearing out consumer interest in 3D films.

orioto

Good Art™
I don't see how a 3rd person game will work with the Rift. I'm glad Konami is jumping all in with PC gaming though.

Well you're behind the guy and you look where you want. But most of the time you look in front of you cause well, you're focusing on what the guy does. I don't see a problem actually. It's like having a cam behind the character that you can use to look around when you want, but obviously you won't be doing it when you need to focus on the front.

syko de4d

you could easily turn the camera to left and right without using the second stick, still have full control over the buttons. I dont see why 3rd person shouldn´t work with Oculus Rift.

Imagine you are Navi from Zelda, screaming "Listen" and "Hey" all the time :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For some reason I feel like using something like the rift with a game that isn't first person would give me motion sickness.

why should they take OR support out after they implemented it? Doesn´t hurt anyone.

Just because a new feature was implemented doesn't mean that it can be advertised as official support. There's an entire pipeline of things that need to be done in order to make it production-ready, and since OR support was never mentioned in the list of features it would take lower priority compared to things that actually were.

Uhyve

For some reason I feel like using something like the rift with a game that isn't first person would give me motion sickness.
Usually I don't get motion sickness but this might be alittle weird with the camera looking down at the player from a slightly elevated position by default. Could screw with your sense of 'up' pretty badly.

I'm sure it'll look great though, I've not got a Rift yet but 3rd person games are lovely on 3D monitors, better than 1st person games in fact (though that's usually just because in FPSs, your gun is always unfeasibly close to your face, which I assume works better with the Rift).

Momentary

Banned
I was really hoping character action games would have OR support implemented, but I didn't think that it would be so soooon!!!!

YuShtink

This won't work well at all. I can see implementations like this being what kills Oculus rift, just as half assed post production 3D is wearing out consumer interest in 3D films.

Oculus Rift 3D is lightyears beyond post production 3D with plastic polarized glasses. Plus, it could alleviate a lot of camera control issues being able to use your head to change the focus of the camera.

Even "stationary" 3rd person cameras could swivel with the turn of your head, allowing you to see more or something that might have been cut off from a completely stationary camera.

Oculus Rift 3D is lightyears beyond post production 3D with plastic polarized glasses. Plus, it could alleviate a lot of camera control issues being able to use your head to change the focus of the camera.

Even "stationary" 3rd person cameras could swivel with the turn of your head, allowing you to see more or something that might have been cut off from a completely stationary camera.

I meant in terms of being promoted for games that weren't developed for it in mind. I can't imagine wanting to play a third person action game like LOS2 with the OR at all. it would just be bizarre.

FPS is probably fine, as those things are designed to be immersive first person experiences anyway, but the OR really needs games tailored to it.

I meant in terms of being promoted for games that weren't developed for it in mind. I can't imagine wanting to play a third person action game like LOS2 with the OR at all. it would just be bizarre.

FPS is probably fine, as those things are designed to be immersive first person experiences anyway, but the OR really needs games tailored to it.

I bet Metroid Prime would be awesome since you looks through a visor the whole time. The steam and water trickling off off it, scanning, log book, etc would all look nice and make sense for the product. I agree with you though. I'd rather have a game that was more suited or crafted toward 3D than something like LoS

Card Boy

Banned
Wake me up in 10 years when Oculus Rift is as small as a pair of sunglasses and not something Cyclopes Mark 1 would wear.

YuShtink

Yea I'm not promoting just slapping Rift support on every game just so it will look cool in 3D. But it's good to see developers of all genres at least experimenting with it. And if they find some way that it can legitimately benefit the game, then why not?

YuShtink

Wake me up in 10 years when Oculus Rift is as small as a pair of sunglasses and not something Cyclopes Mark 1 would wear.

It will never be a pair of sunglasses because it needs to completely block out sight of the world around you to have a full effect. Maybe those little swimmer goggles some day, slim visor or something. But it has to completely cover your eye sockets.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
If they've got Rift support in at launch, I'll buy it then instead of waiting for the inevitable sales. I haven't used mine in a few days because there are so few games that work well enough to be worth playing.

God of War III's
ending
sequence really made me wish there was an action game done in the first person. Could be super neat.

The problem with that is your FOV is extremely narrow. In GOW for example, not seeing what/who's behind and beside you wouldn't make for a very good game.

Cynar

This would most likely make me sick like those vr headsets did in the 90's. Please be a fad, please please. :p

Top Bottom