• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Cortana hasn't gotten any better in the new build. I might not have had the infinite cortana noise bug today but the voice recognition was probably even worse, and no new commands? No improved TV channel recognition yet?

Azzawon

Anyone else having problems with a very slow download speed on this update? My connection speed is normal but this update is taking a very long time.

Shylock

Does anyone know if the issue with large party sizes (> 10) is fixed in the latest build? On the support forums, someone mentioned doing a factory reset corrected the issue, but I really would rather avoid it -- unless it is working fine for other folks and there's really just some incorrect bit on my xbox.

• Game Pre-orders
When purchasing a game pre-order, funds may no longer be deducted from your account immediately (depending on when the game pre-order is purchased). Pre-order funds will now be deducted from your account 10 days or less prior to the game’s release date.

Maybe I missed something but this seems like a big deal.

Lima

I had this with DOOM, I put it in and told me I needed a patch, then proceeded to download the entire game

It has always been like this on Xbox One.

I verified this a couple years ago with the only two games I ever owned on disc for this system. Forza 5 and DR3. If you are online the entire game will be downloaded from Xbox Live. You can 1.) hear almost no drive noise as it is not accessing the disc and 2.) also were able to confirm this by checking the bandwidth usage tab in the network settings.

This is also why installing offline is so much faster cause it is actually instilling from disc and not downloading the entire game.

Ason

It has always been like this on Xbox One.

I verified this a couple years ago with the only two games I ever owned on disc for this system. Forza 5 and DR3. If you are online the entire game will be downloaded from Xbox Live. You can 1.) hear almost no drive noise as it is not accessing the disc and 2.) also were able to confirm this by checking the bandwidth usage tab in the network settings.

This is also why installing offline is so much faster cause it is actually instilling from disc and not downloading the entire game.

Don't go around and say this like it is fact and something that allways occurs. I remember there was a bug causing this to happen down the road, but it got fixed long time ago, maybe you conducted your test during that period?

I just verified that it works like it should installing Forza 5 from disc, while being online and downloading the update at the same time.

I got promted with an update around 14GB, even if the new download indicator was showing my download speed through the whole installation, my total bandwith usage went up with roughly 15GB during the installation, just as expected.

That being said, it is possible new Anniversary Update had problem with the download-bug again, or perhaps people just got confused with the new 'download speed indicator', but it is definatly nothing "that always been like this on Xbox One" like you claim.

Bsigg12

It'll be nice when the Store is finished. Being able to search game by publisher will be nice. I would love to see a sales section as well as maybe a tie in to the Gold stuff from the home page.

RawNuts

Maybe I missed something but this seems like a big deal.
Yeah, this does strike me as a big thing as well. Does this mean I could suffer some kind of overdraft penalty with the funds in my MS wallet if I don't keep tabs on what I've pre-ordered to know how much money I really have available?
It seems like I could pre-order something, then maybe buy a cheaper title later on and accidentally fuck myself out of that pre-order because I forgot about keeping enough funds for it.

I don't know what was wrong with the current system that made them decide it needed to change.

Okay this preview build is so fucking strange, first I tried the new quest to install the new films and TV app which then proceeded to download a German version which proclaims to no longer work and trying to redownload it is a shit show.

Hard reset did nothing not to mention the YouTube app doesn't want to work or acknowledge it being installed and now I own every EA sports game from the last 3 years in my ready to install list...

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS UPDATE?

Lima

Yeah, this does strike me as a big thing as well. Does this mean I could suffer some kind of overdraft penalty with the funds in my MS wallet if I don't keep tabs on what I've pre-ordered to know how much money I really have available?
It seems like I could pre-order something, then maybe buy a cheaper title later on and accidentally fuck myself out of that pre-order because I forgot about keeping enough funds for it.

I don't know what was wrong with the current system that made them decide it needed to change.

It will just cancel the pre-order in that case. That's what Sony does. They will cancel it and send you an email that the your account doesn't have the necessary funds.

Ason

New update is out, 400 MB. They've added more detail to the store page of items.

Downloading right now.

Just so people don't get confused with the June 20 update released yesterday, this is a new update.

June 21: New update available for Preview (rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160617-1700)

HOW TO GET IT

• If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.

• NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.

• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 6/23/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1606.160617-1700
Available: 6:00PM PDT 6/21 (1:00AM GMT 22/6)

Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things be aware of before you jump in.

• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Preview update. This means…
• Games purchased on a console running the latest Preview update can only be played on that console or other consoles running the latest Preview update.
• Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console.
• Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.

• Certain parental control features aren’t functioning appropriately in the current build. As a result, we encourage users to exercise caution when letting children access a console that is using the latest Xbox One update until these issues are resolved.

• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.

NEW FEATURES

XBOX UNIVERSAL STORE
• Product Details Page
We have dramatically improved the product details page of items available in the Xbox Store. Pages have a better layout of information and are more social.

• Text-based Reviews
We’ve improved the ratings and reviews section, so in addition to “star-ratings” for a particular title, users now see text-based reviews on the product details page. Furthermore, those reviews that are voted by the Xbox Live community to be the “most helpful” will be displayed at the top of the list of reviews.

• New "Additional information" Section
The product details page has a better organized "additional information" section, so users can quickly see if a game supports co-op or multiplayer play, the file size of the game, etc..

• Browse and Search Results
The Store also contains features the streamline the shopping experience and help users find the games they love faster, and at the best price.

• Improved Filtering Capabilities
Users will be able to find content faster with improved filtering capabilities, such as the ability to filter search and browse results by game genre.

• Visible Pricing and Ownership State in Lists
When browsing a list of games, users will now be able to see pricing information (and ownership state) for a particular game title without having to open the specific details page for that product.

• Strikethrough Pricing
“Strikethrough pricing” is now displayed in the list view in the Store’s browse and search results, helping users quickly identify which items are on sale.

• "Xbox Play Anywhere" Titles Support
The Xbox Store now offers users “Xbox Play Anywhere” titles. Buy an Xbox Play Anywhere game once, and play it on both your Xbox One and your Windows 10 PC.

FIXES

• Xbox Universal Store
When purchasing content from the Store, the Store interface will no longer appear zoomed in when confirming payment information.

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES

TOP ISSUES

• Game and App Saved Data
When launching games and apps, you may encounter a "We can't save more data for this game or app" error, which sometimes causes the game or app to fail to launch.
Workaround: Hard reset the console.

GENERAL ISSUES

• Xbox Universal Store
• At this time it's not possible to redeem a 5x5 code for Xbox Live Gold on the console. Please use Xbox.com or another console not enrolled in the latest Xbox One update to redeem a 5x5 code for Xbox Live Gold.
• You may be unable to buy, rent, or play certain movies or TV shows from the Store (the purchase button may not appear on the Store page). Please buy or rent from the Windows Store on a Windows 10 device or from the online Microsoft Store (http://www.microsoft.com/store/movies-and-tv) and the content will appear in the collection of your Xbox One’s Movies & TV app. The Xbox Video app can be used to purchase content on Windows 8.X/RT PCs and tablets and on Windows Phone 8.X devices. Windows XP, Vista, and 7.X users will need to purchase content from the online Microsoft Store.
• When purchasing in-game currencies, the currencies sometimes fails to appear in-game. Games impacted include World of Tanks, Overwatch, and Call of Duty: Black Ops III.
• Store pages for purchased games and apps sometimes still show a “Buy” button rather than an “Install” button. If you encounter this issue, please submit feedback via Report a problem.
• The Coming Soon section is not currently available in the Store, and will be enabled in a future update.

• Movies & TV
When launching Movies & TV and attempting to play a video, the menu may obstruct part of the screen.

• Instant-On Mode
In Instant-On mode, when the console enters connected standby, game and app installations in progress may fail to continue installing.

• Payments and Billing
At this time it's not possible to add, edit, or remove payment options on the console. Please use Xbox.com or another console not enrolled in Redstone to manage payment options.

At this time it's not possible to purchase a Gamertag change on the console. Please use Xbox.com or another console not enrolled in the latest Xbox One update to change your Gamertag.

• Cortana
• Cortana may take a longer than expected amount of time to use commands like slow, pause, play, mute, and take screenshot.
• Cortana may occasionally fail to recognize a command and direct you instead to a web search.
• Sometimes Cortana reports a poor network connection, when the network connection is fine.
• When Cortana is “Thinking…” sometimes the sound effect continues to loop.
• When using “Hey Cortana Turn Off”, sometimes she fails to recognize “Yes” or “No” to turn off the console.
• Searching the OneStore via Cortana sometimes causes her to search the same keyword multiple times.
• See-It-Say-It sometimes fails to turn on when first launching an app, but will turn on after using a voice command from within the app.
• Cortini sign-in prompts may incorrectly occur when trying to launch an app while not signed in.
• Cortana may fail to launch Skype, Groove, and the Movies & TV app.

• Pins
• After downloading an app update, the app and all associated content pins will become unpinned from the dashboard. This only occurs once for each app after downloading the latest Xbox One update.
• Pinning content from within apps (TV shows, etc.) is no longer supported.

• My Games & Apps
You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.

• Microsoft Edge
While playing a video, pressing the left thumbstick to enter full screen mode causes Microsoft Edge to crash.
Workaround: Use the on-screen full screen button to enter full screen mode.

Definitely with Anniversary Update this July. Probably soon for preview members.
We sure about that? The initial rollout of this preview mentioned this is one of two updates for the summer, with no direct mention of background music being in this first one. I'm kind of assuming it's a second summer update after the Anniversary Update.
Clubs and Arena as well?
I believe Ybarra has said Clubs, Arena, and LFG are "fall" updates.

etta

my hard graphic balls
We sure about that? The initial rollout of this preview mentioned this is one of two updates for the summer, with no direct mention of background music being in this first one. I'm kind of assuming it's a second summer update after the Anniversary Update.

I believe Ybarra has said Clubs, Arena, and LFG are "fall" updates.

I would assume the second part is still for the Anniversary Update. I believe they only broke them down into two parts because they had features they hadn't announced yet and wanted to reveal them at E3. Unless I missed something and they said part two is later this year?

Lima

Is there any advantage to handling it this way?

I can understand it for credit cards. You were essentially giving them interest free money and that was before what we have now where you can pre-order games that are 9 months away from release.

It doesn't make sense for gift card balance though. Money is already parked on your account in that case.

josh924

Banned
How does Facebook friend finder work? Would your friends also have to enter their FB info on their consoles and/or Xbox app before they show up on the friend finder? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to work at the moment, or at least I don't see any friends when I go Suggestions>Facebook friends.

Dabanton

How does Facebook friend finder work? Would your friends also have to enter their FB info on their consoles and/or Xbox app before they show up on the friend finder? I'm asking because it doesn't seem to work at the moment, or at least I don't see any friends when I go Suggestions>Facebook friends.

Yeah it doesn't work atm.

Alx

Cortana felt more responsive this morning. Maybe it's the update, or low traffic on the servers. :)
I think "start my Xbox" works better than "start my console" too. I guess that will be my go-to command, even if I dislike using brand names in common language.

*edit - Cortana is definitely more responsive. It still takes too long for a specific command like "pause", but at least it doesn't take 5 seconds thinking about it first. Also it could start Plex from the first try, maybe it was lucky but it's already an improvement.
I like the new store features, with rating distribution and user comments (the mean score doesn't mean much if you don't know if some people hated/loved it or if it's just average... also now you can know why).

*edit2 - and finally the shutdown command recognizes "yes", no more pushing the button, back to the 21st century ! ^^

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I just got the update yesterday. Magically my Kinect is working again. Previously the Kinect would come on, then turn itself off after about an hour. It was on all night last night. Not sure what they did there.

Bessy67

Anyone else suddenly have a bunch of games they don't own showing up in the ready to install section? I went from 103 to 120 since the update. Seems to be a lot of the EA Access games, but I don't have EA Access...

Lima

Anyone else suddenly have a bunch of games they don't own showing up in the ready to install section? I went from 103 to 120 since the update. Seems to be a lot of the EA Access games, but I don't have EA Access...

You do. The free EA Access trial ends Friday.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Yes, that's happening to me as well! I was thinking about installing DA:I and see what happens but I'm wary at somehow automatically get subbed to EA Access.

Edit:

You do. The free EA Access trial ends Friday.
Ah. That's what it is. I forgot they were doing that!

This preview round has been a little rough. Not installing stuff on standby mode is a huge pain, and I can never seem to click on the "My games and apps" button on the home screen on my first try.

I push right on my controller and nothing happens, push right again and I advance two screens. It sometime seems like the homescreen and store doesn't recognize inputs, but when you do it again, it catches up.

Kadin

So I've been in Preview for a long time now and just got a message saying to register for the latest Preview. What's up with this process, shouldn't the latest Preview just be installed or did this change for some reason? It just shows 'Pending' now...

Holy ducking shit. I plugged a new drive to my xbone (not sure if related), but every single game I'm trying has lost my save.

I hope this is a nasty bug with this build, because even deleting the local save gives me a blank file after syncing.

Any one with similar issues?

Edit: Phew, guess it was a bug. Hard reseting the console did the trick.

Yoday

I don't like Cortana. The Xbox function was better for most things.
It's early days for Cortana on Xbox. It's super buggy and a pain in the ass to use right now, but it has the potential to be far more usable than the old system. If they can constantly update Cortana with user data then it could be really impressive after some decent public use. I'm trying to remain optimistic with Cortana.

Anybody else having issues launching digital backwards compatible games? I just noticed when trying to launch ssx that it prompts me to put the disc in or buy it and i got worried for a second but then tried xcom a game ive been playin all week and that is still currently gwg and have the same issue.i tried a hard reset with no luck.

It's early days for Cortana on Xbox. It's super buggy and a pain in the ass to use right now, but it has the potential to be far more usable than the old system. If they can constantly update Cortana with user data then it could be really impressive after some decent public use. I'm trying to remain optimistic with Cortana.

It's definitely the right call long-term, but the user experience right now is pretty bad. Hopefully they can get the existing commands up to the snuff before public release...I'm not very enthusiastic about that happening though.

------------

On the bright side, the Store has made massive improvements over the last few builds. The UX for Xbox simply wasn't implemented when they first launched, it's much better now (still some work to do). The smaller icons for everything looks so much better.

Lol this is the last time going into betas for this. This one has been very bad for me on lot of things. Unable to sign in, games wont load, cant go to the home screen while playing the game, and game store being a mess. I did all my feedback on these issues so doing my job but no more after its done lol. Last year preview i had little to no issue.

Top Bottom