• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

So the PS4 is going to be better than the Xbox720 in every spec now? Equal RAM and CPU cores, but better RAM and faster CPU cores.

It doesn't sound like you read the article... It clearly states those are the specs for the current developer kits, not the retail kits.

What the hell happened to Nvidia? They piss everyone off?

jRtdUoc.gif

B.O.O.M

Wow, that stuff about the controller being associated with an account is kind of awesome...

Thank u! I was starting to think people didn't even notice this bit. Sounds very cool imho

as for the controller I think it sounds nice too. Don't get the hate really. If it actually turns out to be true I would be interested in trying it out for sure

GavinGT

Banned
Rounding up from,2,147,483,648 probably, lol

I still don't get why people care what's in the devkit when we've heard seemingly reliable info on what will be in the console.

You can search for "2.2 GB VRAM" and basically every result is people wondering why systemrequirementslab.com (aka, "Can You RUN It") is reporting that they have 2.2 GB of VRAM. This sounds like some kid (or the reporter himself) fabricated this shit, and he chose 2.2 GB as a plausible amount of VRAM because of what that site told him.

EDIT: DXDiag also reports 2.2 GB VRAM for some people.

sangreal

Wow, that stuff about the controller being associated with an account is kind of awesome...

Thank u! I was starting to think people didn't even notice this bit. Sounds very cool imho

360 already lets each controller sign into a different account (and it works exactly the way it is described for Orbis in this article). Kotaku should be embarassed for not knowing this (but they won't be)

What? The CPU is also by AMD? That's...really interesting.

This marks the first generation where all 3 of the major console manufacturers all use GPUs from the same company, right?

What the hell happened to Nvidia? They piss everyone off?

quite frankly, yes.. yes they did. google original xbox nvidia issue and you'll find out more. nvidia just charges too much for their shit to be in consoles and the only reason it was in the ps3 was because it was a last second decision. amd is simply cost effective and gives just as good performance as nvidia does... plus they make cpus that they can combine together on a single chip now!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
yeah. one day it's jaguar + 4gb gddr5 then the next day it's bulldozer + split memory.

The two rumours are not incompatible.

One refers to target spec, one to kits at a certain point.

As already mentioned, if you're targeting 8 jaguar cores, 8 bulldozers would be a reasonably easy surrogate today.

Meanwhile a card that would approximate the target spec probably wouldn't come in a 4GB variety today...and in a PC type environment you'll need system memory, hence the 8GB of DDR3. GDDR5 that can be treated like system memory by the CPU will have to wait for a kit that is much closer to integrated final hardware.

so is that 8gb of that very fast gddr5 ram or is it similar to the ram microsoft is using?

it doesn't say, but if you have split system ram and vram... you can rest assured that it's not 8gb of fast gddr5 at all, but simple ddr3 ram in a dev kit. i bet the vram is gddr5 though

jaosobno

(V)RAM is a bit on the bizzare side, but everything else sounds normal for a devkit.

And I'm absolutely loving those features (multiple trophies, display/accounts on controller, share button,...) hope they are true.

as for the controller I think it sounds nice too. Don't get the hate really. If it actually turns out to be true I would be interested in trying it out for sure

Yeah, one thing that made me happy was that it isn't gonna be a friggin boomerang controller, just a slightly improved dualshock. That is my ideal

The controller sounds good. Nothing outrageous, just taking something functionally sound from the Vita and applying it to the DS3. That's the kind of restraint I want to see.

it doesn't say, but if you have split system ram and vram... you can rest assured that it's not 8gb of fast gddr5 at all, but simple ddr3 ram in a dev kit. i bet the vram is gddr5 though

We don't know, but this is a devkit. It could be 8GB of DDR3 + 2 GB of GDDR5, for the roumored 4GB of GDDR5 in the retail version

thank you both. most of this goes over my head, I'm barely just keeping with the different types of ram.

I've said it before, but I really do miss the olden days when you could just argue bits. oh where for art thou, bits? :(

GavinGT

Banned
The controller sounds good. Nothing outrageous, just taking something functionally sound from the Vita and applying it to the DS3. That's the kind of restraint I want to see.

Except it's the most hated piece of Vita functionality, and this rumor claims they want to put it on every single PS4 controller.

I guess that does sound like something Sony would do.

Except it's the most hated piece of Vita functionality, and this rumor claims they want to put it on every single PS4 controller.
I think it's functionally a good idea if implemented correctly. As long as it's not the whole back of the controller like it is mostly on the Vita, it's a fine idea. Would be great for scrolling and tapping and zooming while using the browser and other things on the OS. As long as there is sufficient space for our hands on the controller without touching the touch pad, it's all good.

tzare

I think it's functionally a good idea if implemented correctly. As long as it's not the whole back of the controller like it is mostly on the Vita, it's a fine idea. Would be great for scrolling and tapping and zooming while using the browser and other things on the OS. As long as there is sufficient space for our hands on the controller without touching the touch pad, it's all good.

this. Plus it could be used for faster access to in-game menus or even strategy games. Just like a laptop touchpad

8GB memory probably DDR3 for the devkit - testing + debugging
2GB memory probably GDDR5 from the retail Southern Island GPU

256MB memory probably GDDR3 a relict from the PS3 and emulation purpose to ensure BC
Secret compute units are a mixture of Cell and/or RSX

Final design will be 4GB GDDR5 or DDR4 stacked at 192GB/s and a seperate 256MB onchip memory to have proper BC.

or Kotaku BS

neptunes

I predicted Sony would implement touchpad functionality into their next console/controller, Kind of hoped they'd include it in the front, just like the OUYA controller. Maybe the still can, and have a combination of front and rear pads.

Yep, and it being clickable physical button too should make a huge difference.

Left click and.drag down to cycle through your items, right click and drag to cycle your weapons etc, keep your thumbs where they are. Edit: I mean on the back, you're talking about the front, never mind.

DieH@rd

Banned

256MB memory probably GDDR3 a relict from the PS3 and emulation purpose to ensure BC

Final design will be 4GB GDDR5 or DDR4 stacked at 192GB/s and a seperate 256MB onchip memory to have proper BC.

or Kotaku BS

Or probably few stacks of WideIO ram [with 192GB/s] on a interposer.

or Kotaku BS

special compute thingy will be the cell, gotta make that investment count.

Syriel

Xbox 360 says HI!

That is probably the most amusing thing about this article.

Not only was there no new information revealed, but Kotaku editors apparently don't even know enough about current generation systems to know that the 360 has supported multi-user login since day one.

Half the story was talking about an "exciting new feature" that isn't really all that new at all.

jett

D-Member
At this rate, with all the conflicting reports, it'd be better to ignore all of these leaks and wait until the console is officially announced. Personally, I don't see Sony going with split ram pools again.

Reading, how does it work.

Xbox 360 says HI!

Not only was there no new information revealed, but Kotaku editors apparently don't even know enough about current generation systems to know that the 360 has supported multi-user login since day one.

Half the story was talking about an "exciting new feature" that isn't really all that new at all.

yeah, i'm sure people don't know that the 360 does that. it's an "exciting new feature" on ps hardware.

GavinGT

Banned

I just don't see a compelling use case for it in-game. You'd have to take your thumb off one of the joysticks to use the touchpad, so at that point you might as well just map that action to the joystick.

Multi-touch in-game would be awkward, as you'd have to entirely lift one hand off the controller.

Using it to control a cursor sounds great, but then there's the problem of needing to constantly re-center your finger on what would inevitably be a pretty small touchpad. Again, I think I'd rather just use the joystick.

Using it for web browsing sounds legitimately useful. But is that really something that needs to be built into every single controller? Do we really want to put up with more expensive controllers just for the privilege of a more accessible web browser?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If the controller has a touchpad (not an LCD), I'd expect it in the front. They could use it like a laptop trackpad, but maybe they could show a cursor before your finger touches the pad. You could play tablet type games and have a better interface with a virtual keyboard, web browser (pinch and zoom), etc.

Since the other rumour said the controller was changing almost every month I hope rear touch is just a phase. Its the worst thing about the vita.

B.O.O.M

360 already lets each controller sign into a different account (and it works exactly the way it is described for Orbis in this article). Kotaku should be embarassed for not knowing this (but they won't be)

Maybe I read this wrong but I got the feeling the controllers themselves could be set to memorize individual user IDs. So you just turn it on and you are good to go

Xbox 360 says HI!

Yeah, this is what really amazed me.

As a 360 owner I had to re-read that section since I wasn't sure what was so amazing about this... The 360 has had this since 2005! I'm amazed that people weren't complaining about this more vocally. I'm glad Sony is finally getting around to it, but holy fuck they have taken their sweet ass time.

Maybe I read this wrong but I got the feeling the controllers themselves could be set to memorize individual user IDs. So you just turn it on and you are good to go

It doesn't sound like it. It says that when you turn on a controller it will ask you to sign in to an account. It doesn't say anything about the controller remembering who the last user was (not to mention that would get really annoying remember which identical looking controller was "yours", or having to always sign-out/sign-in to get to the right profile).

Maybe that ".2" is 256mb (which i guess would be .25) stacked on top of a spurs engine (the compute module) to not only be used with visual rendering, but can be used for BC. They won't need XDR ram if the latency and bw is capable enough due to stacking.

/crazy speculation

I don't believe this anyway.

Agreed. Plus, if that touchpad is clickable, then it could be used as an additional way to control the OS, which would be smart as a 'living room play' or whatever (i.e. a PS remote could also have a touchpad like Sony's Google TV)

Top Bottom