• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

zoukka

It's another Yoshi side scrolling platformer. I've played enough of those and it won't (can't) be that different. Smash is only 3 titles but it's the same thing every time as it pretty much has to be given what it is. They're always doing something new with Zelda and it always ends up mostly the same stuff each time.

They are still one of the more varied IP's around.

Raist

Banned
Well it seems so, but at the same time the reactions on average seem rather disproportionate considering what was announced. But maybe it fell so low that anything decent is received as a mother of megaton type of improvement.

Re: New IPs. Personally -- and this is a break from what can often come across as cynicism I've expressed in regards to Nintendo as of late -- I think the demand for new IPs comes across to me as one of the lazier and more pointless complaints that can be levied at the company. They've got a pretty diverse catalog to draw from, and in the age where big risks often don't pay dividends, I don't necessarily know if I understand to begin with why new characters in a new setting are important. Further, if what they currently have to offer doesn't excite you, chances are whatever new IP they cook up probably isn't going to be the difference maker.

And this is particularly true if the complaint about lack of new IPs extends to Monolith making Xenoblade 2 instead of a new IP. This is bordering too closely on complaining just for the sake of it.

Because it's almost like they granted every wish GAF had and spoke to gamers quite honestly.

Also megatons in the form of SMT x Fire Emblem, HD Wind Waker and "Xenoblade HD".

They announced a bunch of stuff everyone knew was coming. Essentially it's their knee-jerk reaction to the poor reception they've received so far. Damage control. Did it address all the complaints? Hell no. Where's the real account system? Fix the bloody OS. TVii isn't the game-changer they proclaimed it to be, so what's their plan to salvage that? Give us some hope that the third party situation isn't as dire as it appears to be. The reason I bought my Wii U is because I knew it would be getting games like they announced today. I also had the (false so far) hope that they'd step their game up more than they have.

Jeff-DSA

Nintendo's delivering, but I need more third parties to deliver or I can't commit to the Wii-U.

3rd parties rarely do exclusives anymore. And if you care about 3rd party games, won't you just have the next Xbox or PlayStation anyway? You don't buy a Nintendo console for 3rd party games unless you're blind to how the industry works.

Jeff-DSA

I'm so confused. If you're not a Nintendo fan, what do you have to complain about? You'd never own one anyway. If you are a Nintendo fan, you have LESS reason to complain. All the stuff you like is coming, and there were even a couple of surprises.

Freakin' cynics killing the joy.

If you are not a fan of Nintendo games, owning a Nintendo platform may not be for you. Shocking revelation.

I understand the point. Personally, I think the Direct was much needed and does some good, but the "megatons" -- if you'll permit the hyperbole for a moment -- seem to be Monolith's game and Shin Megami X Fire Emblem. As for as other stuff for the non-JRPG loving Nintendo fan (i.e. me), we got Yoshi and "the stuff you want will be at E3."

Although, my interest is now piqued in going back and giving Xenoblade a go. Too bad it's apparently hard to find and I'm lacking in that kind of free time right now to begin with.

serplux

I understand the point. Personally, I think the Direct was much needed and does some good, but the "megatons" -- if you'll permit the hyperbole for a moment -- seem to be Monolith's game and Shin Megami X Fire Emblem. As for as other stuff for the non-JRPG loving Nintendo fan (i.e. me), we got Yoshi and "the stuff you want will be at E3."

Although, my interest is now piqued in going back and giving Xenoblade a go. Too bad it's apparently hard to find and I'm lacking in that kind of free time right now to begin with.

Honestly, there's a lot of stuff they still haven't announced yet. There's bound to be a new Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby, along with a possible new IP, new eShop titles, and whatever Retro's doing. I'm betting that they've outsourced Metroid to one of those partnerships they've been teasing. I'm still looking forward to my 3DS more, but they've done a good job at getting my interest away from it.

Rocky

Banned
I didn't think the direct was all that exciting and they really didn't address complaints like the account system.

IMO, they only did the same thing they did for the 3DS when it wasn't doing so well. Announce a Zelda remake, the a 3D Mario and Mario Kart.

I guess when the next fiscal year starts for them in April, they will announce a massive price drop and then another ambassador program soon after.

I'm floored that they announced 5 new games! :D

Wii Party U
Yoshi Wii U
Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei
Wind Waker HD
X

AND confirmed Smash (in screen form), 3D Mario by EAD Tokyo and Mario Kart U (both PLAYABLE) all for E3.

MASSIVE delivery! :D

No. It was pretty good, but they certainly didn't address everything. My #1 anticipated project is whatever Retro is working on. No show so far. And, of course, they didn't address their awful "account" system.

yes and no.

yes - they finally showed some upcoming games. even if they aren't out this year, it lets consumers know that some awesome stuff is coming their way. some third party announcements would have been nice, like gta5 coming to u or bioshock infinite or revengeance.

yes - wind waker hd. as someone who loved it, this is a dream come true for me. although I hope they fix the sailing and fetch quest nonsense, that really dragged down an otherwise great experience.

no - still no mention of when we can expect gamecube games on vc. I want them now dammit, what the hell is the hold up? :/

no - two os updates? the fuck. this is just ridiculous. why is it going to take them two damn updates / 6 damn months to fix the os? :/

so it's pretty even.

udivision

Wii Party U
Yoshi Wii U
Wind Waker HD
X

AND confirmed Smash (in screen form), 3D Mario by EAD Tokyo and Mario Kart U (both PLAYABLE) all for E3.

The hype train didn't crash, it's just changing tracks for e3...

QaaQer

No surprises. No dates. No reason to change my plan on buying a wii u 3-4 years into system's life used for $100 + $100 for the five good games worth playing.

Jeff-DSA

Wii Party U
Yoshi Wii U
Wind Waker HD
X

B-b-b-b-but they didn't address accounts!

Guys, account problems are something that affects like 1% of people. Lack of games affects everybody. And just because they didn't talk about it here, it doesn't mean that they aren't doing something about it. Shut up and be happy that we got the most important thing possible: GAMES.

The games were good, but nothing has changed my opinion that as a hardware/software and services company, Nintendo is a clusterfuck of failure and that's what is really preventing me from buying a Wii U. Wish they would outsource a lot of that stuff and get more input from euro/Na influences on things like the VC store and OS.

iammeiam

They did about as we'll as they could have; the only thing within their power that they didn't address was the account system. I'm most interested in Megaten x Fire Emblem, because Nintendo-mad crossovers are an interesting approach to getting third parties on your platform. Vague projected release dates would have been nice, but I can see not wanting to promise what they can't deliver. Saddened by the lack of Earthbound VC in NA.

Mileena

Banned

Guys, account problems are something that affects like 1% of people. Lack of games affects everybody. And just because they didn't talk about it here, it doesn't mean that they aren't doing something about it. Shut up and be happy that we got the most important thing possible: GAMES.
Account problems are something that affects anyone who buys digitally on backwards ass Nintendo Network. Are you implying that only 1% buy digital content?

Pikma

Banned
The games were good, but nothing has changed my opinion that as a hardware/software and services company, Nintendo is a clusterfuck of failure and that's what is really preventing me from buying a Wii U. Wish they would outsource a lot of that stuff and get more input from euro/Na influences on things like the VC store and OS.

Hyperbole whaaaaat?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really like the ability to transfer my wii VC library. There is a small price, but the games at least have enhancements, so that is great. Gamepad play and Miiverse are great features.

Issues that still remain (and are keeping me from buying a Wii U instantly)

-Not yet clear that this is a proper account system (seamless transfer to a new Wii U, not tied to console, PC access, etc.)
-I want a unified, cross platform eShop (cross play for compatible titles)

Do this Nintendo, and both Wii U and 3DS will be mine.

Edit: third party support is hopeless, so it is all about the exclusives.

I find it interesting that Nintendo are now aping ms/sony with announcing announcements as well as games that are a million years away from being released. It used to be that they would announce a game and three months later it would come out, now we are looking at at least two years for Zelda Wii u and God knows how long for the megaten xover. I'm glad they are supplying hype, but it doesn't fix the fact that currently the Wii u has no games.

Metroxed

No.

I'm tired of waiting for a new F-Zero and Metroid. Even though I absolutely love Mario and Zelda and Pokémon, they're giving too much atention to them and none to other series. Yeah, the Yoshi game is a new and kinda unexpected thing, but it's part of the "mario universe", does not really count.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I always expected to get one eventually. I just want a price drop.

However, they still have weak 3rd party support.

Pikma

Banned
Let's put it clear, this ND was incredibly awesome for most people who already own the system or were planning to get it in the future, and it went unnoticed (or "expected" even though I'm not sure how you guys could expect a SMT X FE game) for those who aren't interested or have already made their mind, yup, same old Nintendo-related thread.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lots of people say they want a Wii U now, so I guess Nintendo did a good job. What they need is a Mario Kart this fall along with Zelda. I assume it's their highest priority right now and if it's playable at E3, it should be a Q4 title.

Moonlight

Banned
All of my concerns and more. There's one good reason I buy Nintendo consoles (or any console, really), because of the exclusives. Any third party game I might want I can get on the PC. And as far as exclusives go, they delivered big time. Wind Waker HD has been a literal fantasy of mine for years. That and the new Monolithsoft project and Fire Emblem and SMT (my two favourite JRPG franchises) crossing the streams is just hype overload.

Jeff-DSA

Account problems are something that affects anyone who buys digitally on backwards ass Nintendo Network. Are you implying that only 1% buy digital content?

Are you really moving them between Wii U consoles? In what scenario is buying them and then using them difficult? And yes, I have had a Wii, DS, and 3DS where I've purchased lots of eShop and VC content. I still don't see where there are huge issues aside from odd scenarios that don't come up often.

Huff

Banned

yeah who buys shit digitally nowadays anyway

Jeff-DSA

I find it interesting that Nintendo are now aping ms/sony with announcing announcements as well as games that are a million years away from being released. It used to be that they would announce a game and three months later it would come out, now we are looking at at least two years for Zelda Wii u and God knows how long for the megaten xover. I'm glad they are supplying hype, but it doesn't fix the fact that currently the Wii u has no games.

Holy revisionist history, Batman. Nintendo titles have always been shown WAY before they came out. Rarely did you get an announcement of games so close to launch. It has happened, but the norm for Nintendo is to announce something and then work on it forever.

Sheesh, I'm done with this thread. I know Nintendo has lots of improving to do on the Wii U and 3DS, but let's not just make stuff up now to fabricate criticisms.

Are you really moving them between Wii U consoles? In what scenario is buying them and then using them difficult? And yes, I have had a Wii, DS, and 3DS where I've purchased lots of eShop and VC content. I still don't see where there are huge issues aside from odd scenarios that don't come up often.

Well, for starters, if you needed to replace your console -- and recent history surrounding console hardware hardly suggests that this is some sort of ultra rare occurrence -- it is an unnecessary nuisance that only exists because their infrastructure hasn't adapted to current standards. Also of note is just that people -- reasonably in my opinion -- expect that when they buy something on Nintendo's digital platform, they'll be able to play it on their connected Nintendo devices. The fact that even at a discount I'd have to buy Punch-Out!! (for example) three separate times to play it on my Wii, Wii U, and 3DS is certainly worthy of criticism.

boiled goose

good with gravy

unified account system is an issue. I want it. I need it.

I want an eternal, evergrowing library of nintendo classics.

Alchemy

Not at all. My Wii U is still going to be covered in dust for a majority of the year. Wind Waker HD is the only game announcement from left field, and we didn't even get anything close to a release date for it. So... I'm still waiting for Pikmin 3.

NO proper account system
Content still tied to the hardware.
Having to rebuy VC titles
Lack of release dates
No footage shown
Personally I still feel like the Wii U is still expensive

So they havent for me.

beast786

Dont the publishers usually take a chance at new IP's in the start of the console gen? For me this was the opportunity for nintendo to bring new IP's into there portfolio.

Skilletor

I wasn't worried about it, because I bought the system for Nintendo games.

If I was looking forward to 3rd party games, I don't see how this Nintendo Direct would allay any fears.

Dantis

NO proper account system
Lack of release dates
No footage shown

So they havent for me.

I think your middle points are because Nintendo went into panic mode and hit us with everything they have. What they announced today is probably a long way off.

I wasn't worried about it, because I bought the system for Nintendo games.

If I was looking forward to 3rd party games, I don't see how this Nintendo Direct would allay any fears.

NEW MEGATEN OH BOY!

Oppo

NO proper account system
Having to rebuy VC titles
Lack of release dates
No footage shown

So they havent for me.

Mirrors my thoughts. Except I'd maybe swap OS updates for the VC titles.

The account system in particular is a total deal breaker.

They convinced me that the Wii U is not definitely a smoking crater, but just the same I'd rather wait until these games are actually out and reviewed before I'd consider it. I've no desire to fiddle with a slow OS until then with barely anything to play.

Kimawolf

Well the X trailer absolutely gives me confidence that Retro will deliver something jaw dropping. So my concerns about the systems power are addressed most definitely! And it shows they actually HAVE some great looking Next Gen games and there studios will deliver rather 3rd parties do or not.

FourMyle

I doubt any of those games are going to be out before late 2014/2015+. So, have fun waiting I guess? It doesn't really address the immediate concern of game drought that's going on right now and in the near future.

Top Bottom