• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

qSCbdAv.gif

Helpful guides/links!

for the last few months, a group of us have been putting together threads for retro systems - highlighting hidden games, showing off collections & general love for some classics. I wanted to make the rest of GAF aware of this (if ya'll weren't) and see if anyone wants to help out with the systems we currently don't have threads for - pretty much down to Amiga, Collecovision, Japanese PC's, CD-i & such at the moment!

anyway, whether you wanna do a tribute thread or just discuss the classics, come on down!

Ok so here is the RetroGAF media list (basically GAF that upload things / have a website / podcast / etc.

Youtube:
Gunstarheroes
CJ Iwakura
Dusk Golem
Teknoman
Stewy
Huggers
Discoalucard
CoachKevin
Timu

Podcasts:

Mzo's Wonderdudes in Gamesoft World
CoachKevin's Back in my Play

Websites:

D.Lo's Nintendosegajapan

ivxnAvC.png

IrishNinja

crap, don't know how i missed that one...adding to the list! yeah we should have a mod hit it up though.

also i was thinking there's gonna have to be some kinda testing extravaganza when the Retron 5 drops, to see how it compares to OG hardware...it'd be cool if they somehow got the Genesis' sound right

Tain

These system-specific threads are good. Just the right scope for what they are and the audience present here, I figure. I'm glad they are around.

I really can't stand the use of the word "retro" to refer to old/classic games, but the internet's momentum is clearly against me on that one. :[

Volotaire

I have to give this game some love. The AMIGA version. Not the ports. It's Zool.

250px-Zool_cover.jpg

An amiga thread would be great.

andymcc

Banned
These system-specific threads are good. Just the right scope for what they are and the audience present here, I figure. I'm glad they are around.

I really can't stand the use of the word "retro" to refer to old/classic games, but the internet's momentum is clearly against me on that one. :[

can we just use the phrase "objectively better games" instead

Yes Boss!

can we just use the phrase "objectively better games" instead

I dunno, there are so many amazing games that come out now. That is like saying "They don't make any good movies anymore, I'm sticking with the classics." But there are great movies (and games) that come out each and every year.

Tadale

Poor current gen releases has really got me back into my retro collection, emulation over the last couple of months.

I finished Super Mario 64 with 120 stars last week, and I'm currently working my way through Super Mario RPG again, both thanks to Club Nintendo coins.

I'm also playing through Dragon Quest V for the first time, and I've been messing around with The Wily Wars, which never having access to the Sega Channel, I've never played before. On NES, I've been messing around with a few games, like Rygar and Clash at Demonhead.

I've really enjoyed the collecting threads in recent months.

We need more love for the MSX on here. I found a topic about it that only had like six replies. I recently completed War of the Dead Part 2 on it and it's one of the best survival horror games I've ever played.

I also really want to get into some PC Engine classics.

andymcc

Banned
I dunno, there are so many amazing games that come out now. That is like saying "They don't make any good movies anymore, I'm sticking with the classics." But there are great movies (and games) that come out each and every year.

I'd also contest that pre-blockbuster film making is objectively better than current film, even if i love a lot of current films. can't say the same for games though.

andymcc

Banned
I'd like to agree with you, but I remember fishing through aisles of garbage at the Children's Palace or Babbages looking for the good stuff back in the day too.

me too. i was being a little facetious tbh. the highs of old games still are preferable to stuff nowadays though. i really chalk this up to a decline of output on home consoles for Japanese developers.

fuck you for mentioning children's palace though. such fond memories and now i'm on a nostalgia trip. my dad bought our TG-16 there when the one in my hometown went out of business.

We need more love for the MSX on here. I found a topic about it that only had like six replies. I recently completed War of the Dead Part 2 on it and it's one of the best survival horror games I've ever played.

I've always wanted to try this game. is it cart or disk? (my MSX2 doesn't have the disk drive built into it unfortunately).

andymcc

Banned
I call these threads wallet killers lol.

yep. i used to be HUGE into retro game collecting. i was thinking about rebuilding my Famicom and PC-E collection and good god the prices have skyrocketed from when i got the majority of my collection.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome thread Irish, and I LOVE the picture from DKC. So much wisdom was said by Cranky in that game :)

I would love to get more info on upscalers and mods as well, have a Toploader that I want to mod, but have no idea what kind of combination of mod and upscaler that would give me the best picture.

Great thread! An upscaler/how to make your old games look awesome thread would be much appreciated. I've actually been doing a bunch of reading on the topic but I don't own an upscaler myself, so I'm probably not the most qualified to make a thread about it.

andymcc

Banned
Great thread! An upscaler/how to make your old games look awesome thread would be much appreciated. I've actually been doing a bunch of reading on the topic but I don't own an upscaler myself, so I'm probably not the most qualified to make a thread about it.

some of those Japanese XRGB scalers are expensive, but apparently worth it. I really want one. :(

Yes Boss!

I'd also contest that pre-blockbuster film making is objectively better than current film, even if i love a lot of current films. can't say the same for games though.

Ah, I see the movie blockbuster era as the time period from the twenties to the late fifties (and a short upswing in the seventies). But I know what you mean about the big brassy global productions that started with Jurassic Park kinda being like what gaming of today has become. The difference being that movie admissions at present are still way below the heyday whereas the gaming audience has always increased.

That said, year in and year out there are a dozen to two dozen exceptional games that stand right along with the games from prior generations.

That is why I agree with Tain, and tend not to use the Retro naming convention.

some of those Japanese XRGB scalers are expensive, but apparently worth it. I really want one. :(

They are getting back to normal with the exchange. About $300 now!

andymcc

Banned
That said, year in and year out there are a dozen to two dozen exceptional games that stand right along with the games from prior generations.

there's a few each year, i agree, but the highly-touted titles never seem to strike me in the same way as other players. for the record, I have probably put more time into MH3U this year than any game in the past four or five years.

That is why I agree with Tain, and tend not to use the Retro naming convention.

i think it's a sorta arbitrary designation too. "classic" or the even more dreaded "old-school" aren't exactly fitting either.

Yes Boss!

there's a few each year, i agree, but the highly-touted titles never seem to strike me in the same way as other players. for the record, I have probably put more time into MH3U this year than any game in the past four or five years.

That is the rub. We don't necessarily know quite yet what those game are. Maybe in ten, or twenty years we will have a better idea. Yeah, most won't be the titles everybody is talking about right now.

andymcc

Banned
That is the rub. We don't necessarily know quite yet what those game are. Maybe in ten, or twenty years we will have a better idea.

I see where you're coming from here. But, for the record, there are certain genres that have dominant popularity that I have absolutely no interest in. I guess older games match my sensibilities better because I have sorta narrow tastes in gaming.

khaaan

Aww yeah.

A lot of those appreciation threads actually made me go back and pick up some games. A lot of them ended up being games I would always see on store shelves but never bought, or games I rented and had fun with but was never inclined to buy. I'm sure everyone is already aware of the site but http://www.racketboy.com/ deserves a spot in the OP. Anyone play Robotech Battlecry? I remember I only had a Gamecube and really wanted to play Zone of the Enders...based off of Boxart I picked it up. It definitely wasn't Zone of the Enders.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyway, depending on my alcohol intake, I might start a Neo Geo thread in the near future. I'd like to do the inevitable PS2 one as well, but that's barely old-school enough to care about right now, so whatever.

But yeah, these threads have made me drop way more cash than is reasonable. And that's a good thing.

Torgo

Just an FYI, I'm going to be starting a streaming series after E3 that we're dubbing "Game School" on our Twitch page. Each stream will highlight a different retro system, and we'll talk about the systems history and show some actual gameplay.

I'm working with Elgato to work a kink out in their software as it works with X-Split, but even now it's working great (Elgato supplied us with a Game Capture HD with an S-Video dongle for this series.)

My Duo's audio just took a crap, so I'll probably start with the SNES or Saturn, and work my way through what I have until I get the Duo fixed/modded. I can still do PCE cards in the Supergrafx though.

Systems that will be included:
Turboduo/Supergrafx
SNES
N64
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Genesis/Sega CD/32X
Sega Master System (I need more games first, but it's a Japanese unit for the better music)
Neo Geo (mine is modded with component out and UNIBios)
Atari Jaguar
PS1/PS2

Depending on how things go, I may even add older systems like NES, Atari 2600/5200, Intellivision, Colecovision etc, but I have to work on getting them connected to the streaming rig :)

Linkhero1

I've always wanted a TurboGrafx-16. I think it might be the next thing I gun for. It's a bit on the pricey side though.

RM8

BTW since it's mentioned in the OP - Is there any painless way to get into Amiga gaming? It's always been somewhat intriguing to me, but Amiga games haven't really exploded in modern digital stores. It seems like you need to own the real thing in order to experience it, that's kind of not an option for me :/

Munin

BTW since it's mentioned in the OP - Is there any painless way to get into Amiga gaming? It's always been somewhat intriguing to me, but Amiga games haven't really exploded in modern digital stores. It seems like you need to own the real thing in order to experience it, that's kind of not an option for me :/

You can buy this: Amiga Forever

It's a legal emulator bundle that's been around a long time.

Well, the reason the retro threads are always calm and composed is because it's a niche topic full of nostalgia, it's based on products mostly only collectors are interested in, 99% of the games anyone will discuss in here are the only ones good enough that most of us old farts can even remember them, and since everything is vintage, any social commentary, trends, or agendas associated with them are just as vintage, and possibly even no longer relevant.

You can buy this: Amiga Forever

It's a legal emulator bundle that's been around a long time.

Ooh. Similar fascination here, everything Amiga is uncharted territory for me.

Top Bottom