• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

hampig

Hope the translation is decent. I'm not really expecting 8-4 quality or anything, but I hope they make sense at least compared to Moon Dwellers where everyone sounded like they were having a mild stroke every time they spoke

This is what I'm thinking. I skipped MD because of what I heard about the translation. Will be watching this thread to see how this one is.

Shouta

This is what I'm thinking. I skipped MD because of what I heard about the translation. Will be watching this thread to see how this one is.

Check out the first stage I linked to in the media section. That should give you an idea of how it is. I suspect where it gets bad is when the JP script starts tossing out tons of kanji and the translators don't know how to translate it, lol

So depending on who you pick for the MC, the dialogue in the first stage changes a little and the title of the stage changes too. So it's not just a character swap. Character themes are different too. Souji's is better on first impression

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone ordering from amazon get their shipment delayed? Preordered the premium song edition and it looks like it's not going to ship until the 27th, which also delays the copy of nier automata I had in the order.

Hope the translation is decent. I'm not really expecting 8-4 quality or anything, but I hope they make sense at least compared to Moon Dwellers where everyone sounded like they were having a mild stroke every time they spoke

Pretty much this. Gundam Breaker 3 actually had a pretty solid English translation, it was very basic but clean and mostly free of major typos or grammatical errors.

Then Moon Dwellers came along and was a mess so hot I didn't bother picking it up.

I really want to pick up V and send a message that decent English versions can be worth the expense, but it's going to be a difficult trigger to pull if it's an unreadable mess. I know the story isn't exactly great in any SRW games, but I'd prefer it not actively try to confuse me.

Quick impressions of the SEA version after 30 minutes:
- Hooray for remote play. That was a downer in GGen Genesis. Still no video recording though.
- Either that track list somehow expands but it appears every BGM is unlocked from the start, and that list isn't very long. Not having the main Yamato theme in there seems like a huge oversight.
- speaking of BGM, I haven't tried it yet, but that custom soundtrack system seems a bit wonky compared to Z3's: it appears you don't get to add custom tracks, you can only replace tracks from the preset list with your custom tracks. This might be me misunderstanding that system screen though.
- the translation is still a bit stiff but seems noticeably better than what they did with MD. I haven't checked the encyclopedia though, which was really the worst part in MD (I assume they machine translated it at the ass end of the translation project). It's more on par with G Gen. There's still the odd Japanese term every now and then.
- It still blows my mind to see Yamato in SRW. Dropping Axis on Earth? The joke's on you, Char, the Gamillas already got there lol. (Not a spoiler, I have no idea how the Yamato backdrop will interact with that UC stuff)

Forgot that I preordered this and got hype when my copy shipped this morning from Play-Asia. If this translation is actually decent, that's just a nice bonus.

Was MD's really that horrid aside from the encyclopedia? I was going to pick it up, but didn't have the cash at the time and never got around to it after the fact.

Beckx

Yamato theme isn't in? What were they thinking???

Re custom BGM, sounds like the same system from EXVS, replace existing tracks.

PSqueak

Banned
Play-Asia would probably be the best bet unless you go for a digital download then going on the Singapore PSN to get it after you make an account and get a Singapore PSN card.

Holy shit, checking play-asia, it's even cheaper than buying a regular new release!!

I just have zero experience with online orders, but they're a big name on imports, no? they're reliable right?

Saphirax

Holy shit, checking play-asia, it's even cheaper than buying a regular new release!!

I just have zero experience with online orders, but they're a big name on imports, no? they're reliable right?

They are. They currently offer free shipping and you can also get a $3 discount by using 'BLUECODE' during checkout.

Keylow415

Playaisa is reliable I've been using them for years

Jashobeam

play-asia just shipped mine, can't wait to play my first SRW game. I've only played PxZ but I heard it plays sort of like an SRW game. btw you can buy the english version digitally on the Singapore playstation store, I would have done that but the exchange rate in Canada would have made it too expensive to buy the SG psn cards, was cheaper to get physical. I made a SG PSN account anyways tho so I can get the DLC

Shouta

Is the music edit thing on PS4?

Yes, it is.

Wow, they changed the animations for the Huckebein and Grungust quite a bit. Overall, it fits the style of the more recent licensed ones with less frames but more colors and style on the effects. I laughed a bit when I used the micro missiles on the Huckbein because it has a bit of a Itano Circus effect on it, lol It basically looks like the missiles from the recent Macross units, lol

Play-asia just sent my copy in economy! Will probably get in one or two weeks! Can't wait! OG moon dwellers was my first SRW (even tough i already knew it thanks ot the awesome animation and music) and i'm sure i'll love this one too!

Shouta

Oh, I can order this from amazon?

Unfortunately, no. The English version is the Asian version so you'd need to get it from an importer.

You might find it on Amazon but it'll be from a reseller. If you order from amazon JP, it'll be the Japanese version and only have JP text.

Unfortunately, no. The English version is the Asian version so you'd need to get it from an importer.

You might find it on Amazon but it'll be from a reseller. If you order from amazon JP, it'll be the Japanese version and only have JP text.

It will show up on Amazon via a third party but it will also be $30-$40 more than what PlayAsia is charging.

Isn't the lineup kinda light for a SRW?

Not really.

The past couple mainline SRWs have been squad based, where you deploy dozens of units at once. This game doesn't have a squad system, so it uses a smaller cast.

Also it's a standalone game instead of part of a sub series.

Shouta

Isn't the lineup kinda light for a SRW?

There's a lot of sub-series that show up in this that I didn't list.

FMP - FMP, 2nd Raid, Fumoffu, novels
Crossbone - Skull Heart & Gotetsu 7-nin
Eva - Movies 1-3

The new Mazinger units and the Grungust/Huckebein are also in the game.

Whoa, there's a shitload of DLC stages. I assume these are just excuses to give you money/items, as usual.

Edit: to be fair, I'm counting and both of the Z3 games already had 20-30 DLC scenarios each.

Shouta

Man, this cut-in is nice. It's the dynamic kill of the 3rd attack on the Vangrey

aceh7x6.jpg

Shouta

Same.

Edit: It's kinda neat how *EARLY STORY SPOILERS*
the game's story uses Yamato 2199's base story as the overall driving plot.

Yeah, I actually really like this so far. It gives this SRW a bit of a unique feel to it as a result.

Seeing that Char's Counterattack and the UC is 100 years in the past is fairly unique as far as SRW settings go. In addition, the entire earth is a giant mess because of the Yamato 2199 plot. It very much reminds me of SRW Alpha Gaiden in that respect.

So what are the "anime introductions"? Just text summaries or something more?

I haven't run into anything like this yet, maybe they're text summaries?

Nudull

Banned
I'm new to SRW, and I'm tempted to import this. If I generally enjoy strategy RPGs, then this should be right up my alley?

PSqueak

Banned
I'm new to SRW, and I'm tempted to import this. If I generally enjoy strategy RPGs, then this should be right up my alley?

Most likely!

But SRW is enjoyed the most if you're a fan of at least a few of the series in the games.
Also it's a really good way to get into new mecha anime.

Top Bottom