• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick MMO in development?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Little interview with Vin Diesel at Comic con where he talks about the riddick games.

Basically he says they are pulling the Butcher Bay team back together to make some kind of MMO style game where you play as mercs.

With the Butcher Bay team spread to the winds I dunno who exactly it is he's pulling in.

Wut.

Aren't half of those guys working on Wolfenstein now? And the other half doing whatever neoStarbreeze is doing after Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? How would this even work? Don't play with my heart Vin Diesel.

But MMO? eww. Just make another singleplayer game. It's cheaper and 95% less bomba potential.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Well that's a riddickulous idea.

AE4BE97D-6EC7-47EA-B28B-D100978A4B4C-259-000000870AC2399C_zps666e5b05.jpg

Yeah wasn't Butcher Bay actually really good? Chronicles of Riddick is an awesome scifi movie as well if you didn't know, looking forward to the new one /ot

Zalifer

Neo Member
The riddick games were great. Cannot imagine how they will work in an MMO setting though.

We need a regulatory body to disprove of MMO's that are a bad idea.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If it would be made I'm guessing it'd be with the HeroEngine and that it would look just like any other game completly devoid of any sense of originality.

Scrabble

Escape from Butcher Bay is easily one of the greatest games ever made. It was probably about as perfect as a game of that scope could possibly be. I don't want an mmo.

fallagin

So.. Defiance 2.0? That didn't turn out so well.

The only mmoish type shooter game that will likely do well soon is destiny.

Edit: Though that was a 3rd person shooter, still though..

zugzug

hi guise I'm a young 12yo it was me that PM'ed Vin Diesel thru private message and specifically asked him to create this MMO I told him how I was a fan of his since I was young and told him how cool it would be if I could get the eye surgery that he had and could roam around Sci-fi worlds with two curved knives and pretend I was just like him. He told me he would create this MMO just for me. So you all can thank me for this glorious goodness that's coming in 2017.

Cheers mates!

i-Lo

Well looking at the current trend (Division, Titanfall, Destiny) it's not really surprising. I just hope it comes to mainstream platforms that connect to tele and monitors.

More: http://screencrush.com/vin-diesel-interview/

Excuse any transcribing mistakes I made.

- Do you have future plans for Riddick? I mean are you gonna branch off his mythology a little bit more? Whatever happened with the game studio? I mean were there ever any plans to..

- (*Diesel goes on to talk about a Riddick iPad app and then:*) But my diehard gamers want Tigon to deliver the third chapter in the Riddick game.

- Yeah.

- And we just over the past couple of months, just this year, reassembled that team from Starbreeze that brought Escape from Butcher Bay to create the third game.

Good on them, although I've no interest really if they're thinking of making an MMO. Would gladly take a new Riddick SP game, even though I found Dark Athena much weaker than Butcher Bay.

Wut.

Aren't half of those guys working on Wolfenstein now? And the other half doing whatever neoStarbreeze is doing after Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons? How would this even work? Don't play with my heart Vin Diesel.

But MMO? eww. Just make another singleplayer game. It's cheaper and 95% less bomba potential.

Sounds like they have recruited any ex-Starbreeze guys they could. http://pxlbyte.com/news/new/

For all the game lovers out there, we’re reassembling the team that made Escape From Butcher Bay. So we got our guys in Sweden that were part of Starbreeze and we’re pulling them back together to make the next Riddick game that we’re really excited about. [...] There’s this huge concept which is more of a MMO game that would be centered around people being able to play mercs and it’s basically the merc trade. There’s a very cool game concept behind that.

O
M
G

EDIT: You should probably make a new thread about these news. Since people seem to not read the bumps. They all go to the OP.

Yeah, I thought about it. But the new news aren't that different from the old ones to be honest. I mean the only difference is that he didn't mention it is an MMO concept this time (which doesn't mean that this isn't still the plan). And maybe that he calls it chapter 3.

The cool thing is that 2 months after he first talked about it, it is still a thing that is happening.. Here's hoping it gets made.. as a SP game..

they should just go the Jurassic Park Sega Genesis route and make an adventure game that you can play through as either Riddick or a Merc! :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh God please no. Let them make another single player game.

This. The multiplayer for Dark Athena is DEAD. What makes Vin think people want a multiplayer online always experience from Riddick?

This. The multiplayer for Dark Athena is DEAD. What makes Vin think people want a multiplayer online always experience from Riddick?

My hope is that they are aiming for a more ambitious approach akin to what we see promised in The Division and TitanFall-that is, a story driven experience that mixes in multiplayer elements.

pmj

It was also awful, which is probably why nobody wanted to play it. Syndicate's MP was the best part of that game though, and was reasonably popular considering how poorly the game sold. Not that any of this seems relevant years later, on a new game engine, and a dev team that has mostly nothing to do with either of these games.

I like the idea of being a merc in the Riddick universe but it seems like it would cost an awful lot of money to do it justice, money I doubt they have.

Top Bottom