• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution |Import OT| Wild Armaments

Nyoro SF

A POLITE REQUEST: While I don't anticipate this thread being very popular, I ask that you do not devolve this thread into whining about Sega, whining about how this game is not a Chronicles game (something it was never claimed to be), begging for HD remakes of VC2 and VC3, or posting assumed woe-is-us fantasies about how the Valkyria series is "dead" or "finished".

GvD7vBM.png

PLATFORMS:
ch8eoTg.png

RELEASE DATES:
JAPAN: January 19, 2017
NA/EUROPE: Spring 2017

DLC REGISTRATION AND DEMO BONUSES:
If you registered with your email on the official Japanese website for the game, you got three pieces of DLC for free. This only applies pre-release.
1) Fully-voiced story DLC regarding Brunhild and Emperor Claudius.
2) Story DLC introducing the Vanargand Anti-Valkyria unit (also comes with first print copies of the game).
3) 30 Ragnite capsules for restoring RP.
If you downloaded the pre-release Prologue and have a clear Save file...
1) You get a starting magic attack, Rush Blaze+ which puts you a step ahead of the magic ability gain curve.
2) Your save carries over into the full game so you can start Chapter 1 right away.

STORY:
Jutland Kingdom is under an economic blockade from the mighty Rus Empire, starving their ragnite supply and limiting their ragnite research potential. The "Five Grave Sinners" take advantage of the Empire's aggression and lead Jutland into war against the Empire. However, the Sinners are aiming for a secret, secondary goal... to find out the location of Mrs. Maria, and to seek revenge against those who dared to abduct her years ago. Included with their revenge plans is to eliminate all of the Empire's main enemy commanders who orchestrated the burning down of the orphanage (and killing their orphan friends inside) that was the Grave Sinners's home many years ago. The question the game puts forth is whether the Sinners were heroes who saved Jutland, or manipulators that steered Jutland into bloody war for personal gain.

CHARACTER REFERENCE IMAGES:
If you look closely in the images, you can see the (sometimes hilariously spelled) romanized name behind each Japanese one. Names are listed left to right, top to bottom for your use.
qd498ZZ.png

Jutland Kingdom | 5 Grave Sinners: Amleth Glenkaer, Suleyman Karlenberg, Basil Sabanci, Fleat Eriksen, Violette Szand
Jutland Kingdom | Royalty and Royal Guard: Ophelia A. Jutland, Miranda Vilfort
xsjuSMN.png

Jutland Kingdom | Vanargard: Godot Vilfort, Blum Tomasson, Jordur Rvist, Isaac Berggreen, Daryl Rommedahl, Helena Andersen, Brigette Ulrich, Sara Benner, Tilda Gaze
ieUN436.png

Rus Empire | Antagonists: Claudius Powlovich Kiev, Brunhild, Gilouche Benckendorff, Viktor Jimashev, Gustav Meckenburg, Balthus Greppenberg, Maxim
MlyANOr.png

Other Characters | Misc: Maria Schmeichel, Richer Laudrup

GAMEPLAY:
ARPG. You can take a squad up to four members onto the battlefield. Attack button does an autocombo. You have a roll and a guard button. The menu button, which will be signature to the gameplay, is a "timestop" mechanic where you can choose many actions while time is frozen, such as throw grenades, fire your rifle, use an item, use magic, or give your teammate a direct order.

This game has character leveling and magic upgrading. Each character has a magic-type affinity, meaning that you'll get bonuses for using the proper elemental magic with certain characters. This game contains a central hub in Jutland where you can buy magic, swap out your comrades, purchase one-time materials and more. In addition to the hub it also has a magic factory, command center and graveyard.

SCREENSHOTS:

FAQ:
Q: So why did Sega make an action RPG rather than a strategy RPG?
A: Please read these two interview threads.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270939
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277368

Q: What relation does this game have to Valkyria Chronicles?
A: Different universe, different characters. Borrows some aesthetic (warfare in particular) and borrows a few overarching concepts like base capture and ragnite medicine. Of course, we cannot forget the Valkyria themselves who will join the battlefield.

Q: A Japanese RPG in 2017 that's also on the Vita? Where's the seedy uncomfortable fanservice?
A: Surprisingly the entire main cast is adults (18+), and the fanservice seems limited to the overall massive Brunhild who seems more determined to kill you than go into the hot springs with you on a school trip using bonding points while you stumble in on her naked... you get where I'm going with this.

Q: The music in this game is GDLK, who is the composer?
A: Yasunori Mitsuda, who many people know as the composer of Chrono Trigger.

Q: Where's the Xbox One version? The PC version?
A: Xbox One version is NA/Europe exclusive. This OT is for the Japanese release. This is also why there's no information about a PC version.

Q: How does the Vita version run?
A: According to reports from the demo, very well. They made a lot of graphical sacrifices to make sure the framerate would stay steady. Final verdict is still out on the whole game though.

Q: Fun trivia?
A1: In VC1, Sega wanted to include a living hub world for you to do things like level up, check out the factory and visit the princess on foot with Welkin in 3rd person view. Unfortunately they ran out of time to implement it which is why it's just a menu system in the final game (If you look carefully at the background in VC1's HQ menu you can see the town street which was going to be your hub). Azure Revolution has finally allowed them to achieve this goal with a fully interactable hub world and base.

A2: There's always been a religious undercurrent in VC games, but VC3 was the one that had it the most prominently featured in the plot compared to the rest (and even then, it didn't really come into play that often). This game however is looking to push this theme directly to the forefront with public recognition of Valkyria as gods, Mrs. Maria looking distinctly like a churchwoman, and religious contracts.

UCBooties

Thank you for including the other region release info in the OP, it's always nice to have at hand. I think the game looks fun and I look forward to getting my hands on it. Hopefully impressions will be good.

That request was severely needed. God these threads have been bad. Looking forward to some impressions. The last demo I played was an improvement.

RPGCrazied

This is out in spring??? I don't have time to play all these games. :/ I just got the first game and like it, but sometimes its pretty hard and I struggle to continue on.

Saphirax

I enjoyed the demo and am planning on buying the game when it releases in EU. Looking forward to some impressions!

Auctopus

Does this have the recruiting different soldiers to your team mechanic from VC? Or is it a locked, more story-driven team setup?

Nyoro SF

Does this have the recruiting different soldiers to your team mechanic from VC? Or is it a locked, more story-driven team setup?

Good question. I think it is more locked and story-driven this time around, though it wouldn't surprise me to see secret unlockable characters again.

By the way, Sega has implemented a strict No Spoilers policy, and they will take down any story videos uploaded to Nico/YT IIRC.

Zanzura

I'll be checking this thread out for impressions. I really hope the full game is significantly better than the demo.

Kasper

So excited for this game. I hope it turns out to be decent, even though demo impressions from a lot of people weren't favorable.

Zanzura

What was wrong with the demo? Haven't checked much on the game

I played the Japanese demo so I can't comment on story, but gameplay wise it was stupidly easy. VC1 was the same at the beginning and that's where the Azure demo starts so I'm hopeful it'll be much more challenging later on. I was also rather disappointed in the animations and art style changes along with some character designs just not gelling with me. It just seemed like a low budget affair so the story is gonna have to carry the hell out of this game if none of the aforementioned things improve.

I grabbed the Vita version because it ran well and looked good.

I haven't touched it yet, but as far as gameplay goes, the demo and prologue both felt really easy, but I could see the skeleton of something fun in there, so I'm hoping the final difficulty will make it all come together.

Overall story stuff and music seems rad tho.

Nyoro SF

looking forward to your impressions Nyoro.

I ordered a physical copy, so it will take a few days until I can play.

I think the standouts for the game are going to be the story (emphasized in interviews to be something they wanted to really get right) and the music (Yasunori Mitsuda, Chrono Trigger composer). Jury's out on the gameplay.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Mine should arrive tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how much its changed since the initial demo.

I'm interested to see what reviews anf impressions of this game look like.

Also think "no complaining about the antagonist's breasts" should be added to the request in the OP as I also saw that all over in early threads for this game.

Shengar

Is someone getting Vita version ? I'll be gratefull for impressions how good it is technically.
Here
I grabbed the Vita version because it ran well and looked good.

I haven't touched it yet, but as far as gameplay goes, the demo and prologue both felt really easy, but I could see the skeleton of something fun in there, so I'm hoping the final difficulty will make it all come together.

Overall story stuff and music seems rad tho.

Shengar

Why speculate when I can ask on a forum and hope that someone just gives me a straight answer?
This isn't Asia release, so no.
Besides, simultaneous Asia release usually includes Chinese text not english these days.

Sometimes there are and sometimes there are not english subs. I didn't know Nier was having english subs when the game is release in japan.

Do you mean original Nier?

Nyoro SF

Sometimes there are and sometimes there are not english subs. I didn't know Nier was having english subs when the game is release in japan.

Nier:A is a concurrent release between all territories which is why it has that feature. It's good for Platinum, they can focus on working on a single SKU and knock out any localization troubles from there before it releases anywhere.

Games in Japan that don't have concurrent releases in English speaking countries very, very rarely have such an option outside of Asian releases, and even then that's an extraordinarily rare event. The last Japanese game I can think of that launched in Japan with competent English subtitles without a nearby NA release was Ace Attorney back in the early 2000's. It would be a hugely monumental event if it happened. Hence why you're getting some sarcastic replies, lol.

Parakeetman

Nier:A is a concurrent release between all territories which is why it has that feature. It's good for Platinum, they can focus on working on a single SKU and knock out any localization troubles from there before it releases anywhere.

Games in Japan that don't have concurrent releases in English speaking countries very, very rarely have such an option outside of Asian releases, and even then that's an extraordinarily rare event. The last Japanese game I can think of that launched in Japan with competent English subtitles without a nearby NA release was Ace Attorney back in the early 2000's. It would be a hugely monumental event if it happened. Hence why you're getting some sarcastic replies, lol.

That and for the most part JP companies dont want to do things like that in advance to a Western release for the idea that it would undermine sales in the West for their partners doing the localization. Is one of the more common things Ive heard. Outside of there being no real merit to doing it for a JP version even if a complete localized master text is present during development.

Most of the JP gamers who would want to play something in English just import. Pretty common thing to see on Twitter with JP gamer accounts. Made much easier too with digital downloads and such.

Right now out of all the JP pubs the one that is the most likely to include localized English with the JP releases of their games would be Square Enix.

Parakeetman

Just finished the latest demo so have that save ready for the full version when it arrives. Does seem to be a big change from what they had with the very first demo they released. Still game is hilariously easy in the demo, though thats expected since its pretty much a giant tutorial.

Really dont like the character design though as in 3d they all look like a bunch of creepy dolls rather than "humans". Its a bit odd too how that with all of the intricate details they have on the various character models / equipment that they are so poorly animated in the story related scenes, which is unfortunate since folks like me kinda focus on that more than just shrugging it off and listening to the story lol.

Will be looking forward to seeing how things progress in the full version gameplay wise. Esp how character progression works.

Some Nobody

O_O This game looks fucking beautiful and I hope the story is at least semi-decent 'cause I can't wait to get my hands on it when it comes Stateside in a few months.

I'll buy for two reasons:
It's a Valkyria game
It's on Vita

I just hope it turns out decent. Not expecting 9s and 10s like VC1 but still. Hope the story is good too.

So I just cleared chapter 1 and while it was still mostly breezy easy, there were a few enemies in the final map that did super fast/crazy damage if you didn't take cover or use smoke grenades.

The most fun I've had so far is when the game forces you to actually use all the tools at your disposal to effectively take out squads without getting super damaged. I'm hoping that happens more often the further I get in.

So the book structure is still there, but you don't actually start in the book. When you go back to the book to rewatch cutscenes etc, you'll find optional cutscenes that you can watch that'll flesh things out. If you don't wanna watch them, you can just mainline the story. It's kind of neat.

ranmafan

Waiting for my copies to arrive today. Hoping to get a bit of play in today. Been excited about the game for a while. Should be fun!

Top Bottom