• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

JCX

What do you all think about rest days? My current lifting and 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. Is it excessive to still do 30 minutes of cardio on the remaining 2 days?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What do you all think about rest days? My current lifting and 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. Is it excessive to still do 30 minutes of cardio on the remaining 2 days?
Seems reasonable to me.

BumRush

Not at all, but you know your body better than us. If you feel like it's inhibiting your recovery, scale it back

JCX

Okay thanks everyone! I do usually scale it back if I am busy, but the cardio helps with the boredom on non-lifting days. Just wasn't sure if it was like a big fitness don't or something.

Long shot, but does anyone know of any articles on scapular retraction patterning (specifically fixing)? I just tried scap pull ups for the first time in a long time and almost immediately I felt like I was injuring my shoulder. :(

Long shot, but does anyone know of any articles on scapular retraction patterning (specifically fixing)? I just tried scap pull ups for the first time in a long time and almost immediately I felt like I was injuring my shoulder. :(

I'm on mobile now so can't link easily.

Try googling for:

broomstick stretch for shoulder impingement

There's several variations that will open up your shoulder. If you've only pinched a nerve this should do the trick in getting it back to normal quickly. There's plenty of YouTube examples.

I'm on mobile now so can't link easily.

Try googling for:

broomstick stretch for shoulder impingement

There's several variations that will open up your shoulder. If you've only pinched a nerve this should do the trick in getting it back to normal quickly. There's plenty of YouTube examples.

Thanks.

Guys, a question. How much time you put between your last meal of the day and going to bed?

Is it important to avoid large meals as your last one?

Cooter

Sure did! 3rd day in a row and feeling stronger by the day. Next stop is 7 days and I'll reassess from there.

How about you?
Thataboy! 👍💪

As for me, motivation is just getting stronger. Day 10, diet is dialed and spirits are high.

If it affects your sleep, yes, it's important. If it doesn't... it's not.

The whole "getting fat whilst you sleep" thing is broscience.

As usual Psycho bringing the truth. All that stuff is BS. Don't eat after 7. lol Eat small meals throughtout the day. Bigger lol

ILoveBish

Looks like I've returned right on time.

Also, I wonder whatever happened to Bish (besides getting married)?

Lotsa stuff. I had stopped working out a bit over 6 months ago, mostly because I had to get the house finished for the baby shower I was having. Then baby came 6 weeks early! This obviously changed everything. Nothing wrong with him at all, just early. He was in the NICU for 22 days till he reached proper weight and he could finish his food without assistance. The entire time I did not work out, life was stressful.

Once he got home, we're brand new to parenting, so the next 3 months was very trying. We're finally at a good place with him and got a handle on a routine, so I started lifting 2 days ago. I got 145x1 on ohp and 365x1 on deadlift, pretty good for not lifting 6+ months. I was just warming up and seeing how things were going to go. I had more in the tank but didn't want to push myself so hard so early on. Tonight is bench, we'll see how that goes.

It's great to see most of the old crew aboard again. I'm doing intermittent fasting and eating a keto meal once a day, I'll be back to longer fasts very soon. I've gained about 22lbs in the last 6 months. It's going to go away ASAP.

After a series of injuries and inconsistent diet choices, I'm really rocking a dad bod now.

Well, soon I'll be working it double time. Got another little boy on the way.

Congrats man!

Cooter

Bish!!! Everything is falling into place I tell you! Good to see you and congratulations on your baby boy. Truly life's greatest gift. I look forward to your 2 week fast updates. You came back at just the right time because we be making things happen in here.

Ixian

It's great to see most of the old crew aboard again. I'm doing intermittent fasting and eating a keto meal once a day, I'll be back to longer fasts very soon. I've gained about 22lbs in the last 6 months. It's going to go away ASAP.
At least you have a valid reason for having a dad bod. :) Congrats on the baby and welcome back to the fold.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe someone else has the problem, the Nike+ Running Club app has issues since the update from 28th september... It looks like it doesnt work anymore when put in background after a few minutes, the blue badge goes away and it stops tracking my runs. I have to do it this way, because I make a workout from another app, the Nike Workouts are shit for me, unless there is a way to make custom plans I wont switch.

The changelog said something that I now have to give Nike Plus access to iHealth and I am testing right no, if the app still stops tracking GPS, but I am curious to hear experiences from other people.

I am on iOS btw.

Hope this is the right place, didnt found a running OT

There are units like powerbreathe which can improve some of the supporting muscles, but there's not much you can do about actual lung capacity.

Your best bet is getting fitter generally so that your body is able to do more with the oxygen you get.

BumRush

Lotsa stuff. I had stopped working out a bit over 6 months ago, mostly because I had to get the house finished for the baby shower I was having. Then baby came 6 weeks early! This obviously changed everything. Nothing wrong with him at all, just early. He was in the NICU for 22 days till he reached proper weight and he could finish his food without assistance. The entire time I did not work out, life was stressful.

Once he got home, we're brand new to parenting, so the next 3 months was very trying. We're finally at a good place with him and got a handle on a routine, so I started lifting 2 days ago. I got 145x1 on ohp and 365x1 on deadlift, pretty good for not lifting 6+ months. I was just warming up and seeing how things were going to go. I had more in the tank but didn't want to push myself so hard so early on. Tonight is bench, we'll see how that goes.

Congrats man!

BISSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH! Congrats and welcome back!

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Congrats man!

I'm back too 👊

Congrats on the new addition to the family. We had ours July 20th and she was 2 weeks early. We're also new parents so it's mostly a learning process. Lifting has it's ups and downs now. Sleep is hard to come by and not eating consistently enough.

1x20 @ 225 for squats 💪💪💪💪👌👌👌👌

Nice! Almost had 365 for 20 beltless...got 18 😳
365x18

Also did 420 x 8 beltless for a more recent rep PR

420x8

Cooter

Holy Hell! Now MTP! All dem boys coming back. Congrats to you too on the baby. We should rename FitGaf DadBodGaf.

I'm back too ��

Congrats on the new addition to the family. We had ours July 20th and she was 2 weeks early. We're also new parents so it's mostly a learning process. Lifting has it's ups and downs now. Sleep is hard to come by and not eating consistently enough.

Nice! Almost had 365 for 20 beltless...got 18 ��
365x18

420x8

lmao how you gonna come in and just steamroll me like that

thats's fantastic tho, can't even imagine 365 at that much, I think I would be lucky to get 6-8.

OH DEAR GOD I CAN WALK AGAIN!

Years ago I experienced horrible crippling knee pain that was related to my piriformis.

Recently, it happened again but with an unknown cause.
My yoga Instructor suggested we hit the hip and hip flexors.

24 hours later, there's no more pain.

UGH, that was awful. I think I need to get my hip re-aligned this weekend.

Also.....I finally took my goober picture after 65 pounds. Note: I got really drunk and bought that cowboy hat at Octoberfest

22104425_10209518283420029_1123232793768809631_o.jpg

I stepped up to two Yoga sessions a week and I feel great!

ILoveBish

Glad the team is all back together. Thanks everyone. I got 185x2 on bench last night, tried for 205x1 but failed. Pretty disappointed but my entire body still hurts, I think I'll take a break today and do squats tomorrow or Saturday just so that I kinda recover. After that, my new plan is to do a mix of 351, ppl and some cardio days.

Pretty damn excited.

Magwik

Banned
Popping by for a quick question; I'm down about 50lbs from April (245-196) and am wondering if it's still safe to go off of MFP calorie estimator for how much I should be eating. My goal is to get down to 180 by christmas time, but I've seen progress start to stall out since about September.

For reference I was sticking close to 1600/day and am not sure if I was under eating.

kiri

Hey guys, first time posting in the thread. Just wanted to check on a simple home routine I’m doing and if it’ll help me get to where I want to be.

NOW: 188cm / 79kg and fairly decent arms but have a slight tummy that I want to get rid of and turn to niceish abs. I’m not looking to be the next Schwarzenegger. I eat well usually, drink 2 litres of water a day, don’t smoke, sleep at least 6 hours a day, cycle to and from work each weekday (15 min journey), no drugs and rarely get drunk.

DOING: 2x5kg dumbbells, 1 yoga mat - 20 bicep curls (each arm), 20 lateral raise, 20 press ups, 100 sit-ups, every morning, every evening.

SO.... assuming I can continue this plan, and I’ve been doing well for the past week or so, what gains (if any) can I hope to see? Will abs eventually appear? Am I doing myself any damage?

lenovox1

Popping by for a quick question; I'm down about 50lbs from April (245-196) and am wondering if it's still safe to go off of MFP calorie estimator for how much I should be eating. My goal is to get down to 180 by christmas time, but I've seen progress start to stall out since about September.

For reference I was sticking close to 1600/day and am not sure if I was under eating.

First off, congratulations!

From what I can glean from some very light research, 1200 is the floor for most humans.

Stalls seem to be common. But whether or not your diet is still working for you depends on lots of things. Do you still feel exhausted? Hungry? Do you have enough energy to make it through your workouts? Are you as strict now as you were when you started? Are you losing weight at an average of 1-2 lbs per week still?

If you're working with someone on your diet, get in contact with them. There might be something that you can switch up that will make you feel a lot better and lose weight again.

Hey guys, first time posting in the thread. Just wanted to check on a simple home routine I’m doing and if it’ll help me get to where I want to be.

NOW: 188cm / 79kg and fairly decent arms but have a slight tummy that I want to get rid of and turn to niceish abs. I’m not looking to be the next Schwarzenegger. I eat well usually, drink 2 litres of water a day, don’t smoke, sleep at least 6 hours a day, cycle to and from work each weekday (15 min journey), no drugs and rarely get drunk.

DOING: 2x5kg dumbbells, 1 yoga mat - 20 bicep curls (each arm), 20 lateral raise, 20 press ups, 100 sit-ups, every morning, every evening.

SO.... assuming I can continue this plan, and I’ve been doing well for the past week or so, what gains (if any) can I hope to see? Will abs eventually appear? Am I doing myself any damage?

Focus on dieting and losing weight.

Also, build a plan with progression in mind. Eventually and quickly, your body will adapt to your routine and you won't get anything out it aside from cardio if you do it at a high intensity and speed.

Maybe try an app like Freeletics or something similar. Something that will challenge your body through higher reps and progressively more difficult movements.

But even then, looking at before and after pics of Freeletics users, the majority of them lost a bunch of body fat and came out on the other end looking very lean usually after 15 weeks. So don't even expect to look like Ryan Reynolds or Matt Bomer in 4 weeks. At least not without putting a lot more time than around 7 minutes into it.

Cooter

Blah...Been on the road over 4 hours today plus worked a lot. But.... pulling into the gym now. Do your job caffeine!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm back too 👊

Nice! Almost had 365 for 20 beltless...got 18 😳
365x18

420x8

Grats on the kid bud!

Sup gaf,

Holy crap weights are expensive.
Power rack + weights + bar = $800~

Dear lord, what to do

You don't wanna know what my garage gym cost. My yoke alone was more than that.

Top Bottom