• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Series |OT| of endless grinding fun

I farmed Lagiacrus all day yesterday and made the full set and the switchaxe. The switchaxe has 60 less attack power than my old switchaxe, but has 150 thunder element. Does that make it better? Does thunder do damage or does it just paralize?

I feel like a badass now. I went gathering in the island and took out a Great Jaggi before he could even run away. :D

Thunder adds more damage depending on the monster and the hitzone. The MH Wiki has all the details on elemental weaknesses but you can usually get an idea from looking at elemental resistances on the armor (i.e. Lagi armor has lousy fire resistance because Lagi itself is weak to fire).

Paralysis is something different/separate.

Little Green Yoda said:
Thunder adds more damage depending on the monster and the hitzone. The MH Wiki has all the details on elemental weaknesses but you can usually get an idea from looking at elemental resistances on the armor (i.e. Lagi armor has lousy fire resistance because Lagi itself is weak to fire).

Paralysis is something different/separate.

Oh, I guess I'm just thinking of Pikachu moves. :p

I'm online right now. I'm on recruitment. My character's name is Kuno. I'm R11 working through 2 star quests. I gotta kill Barrioth, Gobul, Rathian, Great Baggi, all that stuff.

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm online right now. I'm on recruitment. My character's name is Kuno. I'm R11 working through 2 star quests. I gotta kill Barrioth, Gobul, Rathian, Great Baggi, all that stuff.
You got DC'd right as the quest was about to end. :(

Apologies for my sucky GSing btw.

Little Green Yoda said:
You got DC'd right as the quest was about to end. :(

Apologies for my sucky GSing btw.

Oh that was you? TY for the help. I trapped him at the end there.

I was trying to do a DMZ for the Wii, but it looks like I just have to keep all those UDP ports open. This game is such a pain the ass about the firewall.

Oni Link 666 said:
TY for the help, Yoda. Good Hunt.

I still got a Gobul cap quest to go on 2 star.
No problem. Shame that Gobul didn't want to play nice with my frog. I guess leaving and re-entering the zone doesn't reset his tendency to take the bait.

I'd have done the Jhen event with you but explaining how all the ship stuff works with the virtual keyboard is tough. It's a fun fight because it's so different from every other fight.

Ken said:
Would US Tri be up for any hunts on Saturday?
Out of town this weekend, otherwise I would.

Ken said:
Maybe in the morning before noon, PST?

That's might be a bit early or me. I'm at central time. I could be on at 10AM central

Edit: Well that didn't happen, sorry. Mornings typically don't work out for me.

Ken

Oni Link 666 said:
What's a better strategy for Rathalos, use Rathian armor or Lagi armor with fire resistance decorations?
Even with an almost complete Rathalos set, you're still eating a decent amount of damage from fireballs. You're best option is to learn when he shoots fire (it's only 2 or 3 ways) and evade it.

I really want to start playing MH, but only on a portable system. I'd rather play something that I can join in with people online with - does anyone still play Freedom Unite? (I'm in the US and don't read enough Japanese to trudge through a RPG for P3rd).

Delio

Oh didnt know this was around. I might play again i'm at HR 41 so eh we will see if i can get back into it.

I've been away from this thread for a while. Currently HR 38, about to hit 40. Got a question for those who've been there before:

Farthest I've ever gotten with HR was mid 40's. I've seen people with 100+ HR (I saw someone with a HR of 380 yesterday, ridiculous) how far does the end game extend? Of course there's Jho and Alatreon, but do they get more difficult? Are there higher tiers besides Elite?

Ken

Andrex said:
Almost bought MH3 today... $18 used at Gamestop, was hard to resist. Hrm...

It's $17 new on Amazon.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I've been away from this thread for a while. Currently HR 38, about to hit 40. Got a question for those who've been there before:

Farthest I've ever gotten with HR was mid 40's. I've seen people with 100+ HR (I saw someone with a HR of 380 yesterday, ridiculous) how far does the end game extend? Of course there's Jho and Alatreon, but do they get more difficult? Are there higher tiers besides Elite?

I think it stops after a certain point so your HR continually goes up well past when you've stopped getting new missions.

The last set of missions have a lot of multiple monster hunt type quests.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ken said:
It's $17 new on Amazon.

Oh really?

FML for my Wii's disc drive being busted.

Still, happy I was able to resist that. Do many people here use WiiSpeak or is it mostly just keyboard?

Andrex said:
Oh really?

FML for my Wii's disc drive being busted.

Still, happy I was able to resist that. Do many people here use WiiSpeak or is it mostly just keyboard?

Don't bother with Wii speak, use a keyboard.

I'll be on tonight around 8:00 central on the Open server, look for Khory.

Boney

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

It stops at 65 really.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Once you get to 51, you're eligible for every quest. Beyond that it's either about collecting gear, grinding for gold crowns/titles, honing your hunting skills, and learning new weapons. You also have crazy OCD people grinding to HR999 but those are crazies.

Nothing higher than Elite in Tri; can't wait to tackle G rank in Tri G when/if it gets localized.

Jonnyram

Got to HR6 on 3rd, and my god, the game is a serious grindfest now.
Beaten that big Zinogre like 6 times, and still don't have enough items for everything. I need one more scale, but FOUR more horns to make my top tier Zinogre swords. Got 3 gems so far though lol.

Wazzim

Banned
Got to HR6 on 3rd, and my god, the game is a serious grindfest now.
Beaten that big Zinogre like 6 times, and still don't have enough items for everything. I need one more scale, but FOUR more horns to make my top tier Zinogre swords. Got 3 gems so far though lol.
Haha yeah the trick is to get 3 others on Ad-Hoc Party and just farm the DLC quests for a good evening. I did that to get my Jinouga loot.

Hey guys, I was looking at a bunch of inexpensive Wii games on Amazon and I'm interested in getting Tri. Possibly to play with my long distance girlfriend. I've got a few questions.

How much of the content can be done online?

Do you have to play a significant amount of single player content before hitting online content.?

How challenging is it? She likes playing games with me a lot, but overall she's relatively a casual gamer, would this just frustrate her more than entertain her? So far we've only been playing things like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart on our Wiis. Of course, she's never played an RPG before so who knows if it'll just overwhelm her or if she'll get hooked.

Ken

Hey guys, I was looking at a bunch of inexpensive Wii games on Amazon and I'm interested in getting Tri. Possibly to play with my long distance girlfriend. I've got a few questions.

How much of the content can be done online?

Do you have to play a significant amount of single player content before hitting online content.?

How challenging is it? She likes playing games with me a lot, but overall she's relatively a casual gamer, would this just frustrate her more than entertain her? So far we've only been playing things like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart on our Wiis. Of course, she's never played an RPG before so who knows if it'll just overwhelm her or if she'll get hooked.

1. The offline mode has its own set of missions, and the online mode has its own set. There's a lot of overlap between the two sets, especially early on. There are a few online only monsters (Alatreon and Jhen Mohran I think) and one offline only monster (Ceadeus), but they don't make up a significant amount of content. Aside from those three online/offline exclusive monsters, you'll get to experience all the other monsters and maps in online that you would offline. Oh, online also has event quests with weapons and armor that you can only get by playing online. The only offline exclusive armor set is Ceadeus'. Oh, and in the online mode you get access to high rank materials to make high rank armor, which have different skills and a higher starting armor value than their low rank counterparts found in the offline mode.

2. You can dive straight into online, although one benefit to offline mode is that you gain access to the farm which can provide you with a source of income and items. There's no farm in online mode. Since you carry the same character between online and offline mode, it might not be a bad idea to progress in the offline mode to build up your farm at times where your girlfriend is busy or something.

3. It's a little challenging, but not too hard to learn especially if you're playing with her.

It's been a long time since I've played so I'm sure I made a few errors though, but I'm sure someone more experienced will correct me. Otherwise, I think it's a great game (one of my favorites on the Wii) and I'd recommend picking it up.

1. The offline mode has its own set of missions, and the online mode has its own set. There's a lot of overlap between the two sets, especially early on. There are a few online only monsters (Alatreon and Jhen Mohran I think) and one offline only monster (Ceadeus), but they don't make up a significant amount of content. Aside from those three online/offline exclusive monsters, you'll get to experience all the other monsters and maps in online that you would offline. Oh, online also has event quests with weapons and armor that you can only get by playing online. The only offline exclusive armor set is Ceadeus'. Oh, and in the online mode you get access to high rank materials to make high rank armor, which have different skills and a higher starting armor value than their low rank counterparts found in the offline mode.

2. You can dive straight into online, although one benefit to offline mode is that you gain access to the farm which can provide you with a source of income and items. There's no farm in online mode. Since you carry the same character between online and offline mode, it might not be a bad idea to progress in the offline mode to build up your farm at times where your girlfriend is busy or something.

3. It's a little challenging, but not too hard to learn especially if you're playing with her.

It's been a long time since I've played so I'm sure I made a few errors though, but I'm sure someone more experienced will correct me. Otherwise, I think it's a great game (one of my favorites on the Wii) and I'd recommend picking it up.

Thanks! One other question, she doesn't have a Classic Controller. Is Wiimote/Nunchuck fine? Or should she invest in the bundle?

Ken

Thanks! One other question, she doesn't have a Classic Controller. Is Wiimote/Nunchuck fine? Or should she invest in the bundle?

I've only played it on the CCPro which was fine.

My roommate played it on the Wiimote/Nunchuck and he didn't seem to have much difficulty executing moves.

Hopefully someone who has played it on the Wiimote/Nunchuck can chime in.

diditz

Neo Member
I've only played it on the CCPro which was fine.

My roommate played it on the Wiimote/Nunchuck and he didn't seem to have much difficulty executing moves.

Hopefully someone who has played it on the Wiimote/Nunchuck can chime in.

well, im on hr370ish and 100% using wiimote and nunchuck, didnt have any problem so far executing moves... but maybe someone who plays with both can comment on this, i think its a matter of preference though.

its been few month since the last time i played, my wifi router busted, but last week im trying to use my laptop as acess point, too bad im dc'ed a lot >.<

Jonnyram

Just killed Amatsumagatsuchi with DC and his wife on Portable 3rd.
What a buzz!
It's got a couple of crazy attacks which are basically one-hit kills. We had two deaths, but managed to take it down in 13 minutes.

For the EU community whats the average player-base size daily on Monster Hunter Tri? BAck in the days of Monster hunter 1 years after release there were still 1,000+ people playing online. I'm thinking about buying a Wii and spending countless hours online MH3. SO please tell me theres at least 4 digits in the numbers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm pretty sure I'll get Tri soon, maybe before or after Xenoblade. US player here. Any others still playing?

Wazzim

Banned
I would not worry about the player count with Monster Hunter games, there is always a bunch of guys ready to hunt.

For the EU community whats the average player-base size daily on Monster Hunter Tri? BAck in the days of Monster hunter 1 years after release there were still 1,000+ people playing online. I'm thinking about buying a Wii and spending countless hours online MH3. SO please tell me theres at least 4 digits in the numbers.

Currently (5.30 pm) I count 1760 people online between Open/Rookie/Recruiting. That's not counting the Expert server, I'm too low HR for it so I can't see how many are on there. Anyway, yeah, there's always plenty of people online to play with.

I'm pretty sure I'll get Tri soon, maybe before or after Xenoblade. US player here. Any others still playing?

I still have the game and play here and there. Feel free to PM me if you ever need a hunting partner, I'm more inclined to hop in if there's someone to play with.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cool. I'll keep playing the demo I have so I get better, I'm pretty crappy at the game right now. :p

Chuckpebble

I just went on Tri this morning to make sure that the Skyward Sword control scheme wasn't mussing me up in this game. I'm happy to report that it's like riding a bike, and I'll be on more in the coming days.

Cool. I'll keep playing the demo I have so I get better, I'm pretty crappy at the game right now. :p

It's alright, I'm fairly average myself I think...although I've had sub-par, actually downright terrible partners who didn't understand basic superpound/triple-pound theory despite me explaining it over and over again, lol. As long as you've got a weapon you're comfortable with, it should be fairly smooth sailing when you jump into the full game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just went on Tri this morning to make sure that the Skyward Sword control scheme wasn't mussing me up in this game. I'm happy to report that it's like riding a bike, and I'll be on more in the coming days.

You play with Wiimote/chuk? I can't decide which scheme I like more since I'm equally terrible with all of them. :p I do have a black CC pro I bought with this game in mind though...

It's alright, I'm fairly average myself I think...although I've had sub-par, actually downright terrible partners who didn't understand basic superpound/triple-pound theory despite me explaining it over and over again, lol. As long as you've got a weapon you're comfortable with, it should be fairly smooth sailing when you jump into the full game.

Super wha triple wha?

You play with Wiimote/chuk? I can't decide which scheme I like more since I'm equally terrible with all of them. :p I do have a black CC pro I bought with this game in mind though...

Super wha triple wha?

I found the CC/CCpro easiest when I played the demo.

And uh...don't worry about that, lol. Unless you're planning on starting off with hammer as a main weapon I guess.

Chuckpebble

There are advantages to each control scheme with regards to what you're able to do while rifling through your menus. I believe the advantage of Wii/chuck is that I can move around while combining and doing other menu stuff mid hunt.

Honestly, that's not the reason I chose that setup though. Tri was my first MH, so I had not pad comfort zone with it, plus I really find the split controller the most comfortable way to play in most situations.

As for the motion controls, I turn off both of the "shake to..." options in the menu. I would keep getting false positives when trying to rotate the camera in a hurry.

The actual fighting motion controls are great. You press one button for the most part and the orientation of your hand dictates the attack that comes out. Wish more games used that. No More Heroes is the only thing that comes close.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There are advantages to each control scheme with regards to what you're able to do while rifling through your menus. I believe the advantage of Wii/chuck is that I can move around while combining and doing other menu stuff mid hunt.

Honestly, that's not the reason I chose that setup though. Tri was my first MH, so I had not pad comfort zone with it, plus I really find the split controller the most comfortable way to play in most situations.

As for the motion controls, I turn off both of the "shake to..." options in the menu. I would keep getting false positives when trying to rotate the camera in a hurry.

The actual fighting motion controls are great. You press one button for the most part and the orientation of your hand dictates the attack that comes out. Wish more games used that. No More Heroes is the only thing that comes close.

Ah yeah, I was watching some YouTube vids on the control scheme. Like the minus button plus tilt is how to do that cancel attack as a Long Sword, how would you do it on the CC Pro?

Top Bottom