• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's new CEO: Mobile is the future of gaming, is Konami's main platform

HGH

Banned
"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."

http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html
I wasn't really sure where to post this but I figured here was ok? Since we're talking about mobile games and stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

To note, for the Power Pro game he mentions, it came out recently and was grossing in the range of many hundred thousand to $1 million or so a day based on what its positioning was and what other at that position tend to gross.

"We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."

http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html

I wasn't really sure where to post this but I figured here was ok? Since we're talking about mobile games and stuff.

All credit goes to HGH.
I don't know what to say....

To be honest, I wonder if mobile isn't in danger with wearables.
Even if I don't like this direction, I can see what they are looking for: Huge profits made on small investments.

Fury451

Banned
Weren't companies saying this 7-8 years ago too? PS4 sales numbers say hi Konami.

To be fair it's not that different from what some other Japanese companies have shifted focus towards, but I shudder to think of all their good IPs going mobile only. Yikes.

Skele7on

Banned
ishiYQts1UFk7.gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Doesn't sound different from other japanese companies like Capcom and S-E tbh.

Yeah, Konami is just late to the game and now drastically and rashly transforming.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
they did, they just abandoned them

Nailed it.

Castlevania would sell, going by the Kickstarter. Double so if they had let IGA make one off handhelds outside of that PSN/XBLA game which wasn't exactly like the others. Same with other IP's if they treated them better.

Asd202

Doesn't sound different from other japanese companies like Capcom and S-E tbh.

The thing is look at what they did to Kojima and PT. Anyway it's a good thing I never believed Verendus about new Suikoden at least it doesn't hurt
much.

bigol

Saying that they are focusing aggressively on mobile doesn't exclude developing games for consoles.

In fact he says:"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

He confirms console games will continue to be developed, but they are focusing on mobile too.

Thing is Konami still have franchises that sell well and around 50% of their income comes from gaming. I wonder what spurred this?

I think this is the wrong approach because they seem to be really scaling down on console development. Look at SE, Konami. Thats how you diversify.

kswiston

I think I mentioned it before in a different thread, but:

Suikoden VI! Collect all 108 stars of destiny in the random star machine! Win runes and whetstones to upgrade your characters and sharpen your weapons! Now with 90% more loli characters!

Welp, it doesn't get much more depressing than that. Thanks for putting in no uncertain words what we already knew. Bye Konami. You were great once.

fuck. zero interest in mobile gaming.

i guess MGSV really will be the last Konami game for me. so sad :/ oh well thanks for Super Castlevania, Turtles in Time, Silent Hill, MGS etc. good times were had.

Arkanius

You won't be missed Konami.
I can't wait for the bubble to burst.

Please leave your IPs to someone who cares...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, Konami is just late to the game and now drastically and rashly transforming.
Back in like 2011 they used to be king on mobile in Japan with Dragon Collection, but it took them until now to get back into a major competitor with smartphones.

Top Bottom