• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Came into work to Pokemon Craze

Maybe this will make Nintendo realize everyone fucking loves Pokemon. So, put all the old games on android and iOS and people will buy that shit up. Not everyone owns a 3DS, and most people aren't going to buy in just to play some old games they liked as a kid.

This is coming from someone who owns a 3DS too. Not port begging.

oti

Banned
Maybe this will make Nintendo realize everyone fucking loves Pokemon. So, put all the old games on android and iOS and people will buy that shit up. Not everyone owns a 3DS, and most people aren't going to buy in just to play some old games they liked as a kid.

This is coming from someone who owns a 3DS too. Not port begging.

I've seen kids playing Red/Blue on their phones via emulator. There's a lot of money to be made there.

RangerX

Banned
Its all over the internet but I haven't seen anyone do it personally yet. Apparently people are walking into police stations looking for Pokemon.

daTRUballin

This is pretty amazing. From the looks of this thread and from what I've seen personally, it seems like EVERYBODY is playing this regardless of age. Even non-gamers are playing it. Looks like we may be on to something extraordinary here.

eXistor

It's crazy to think that for as much as I love Nintendo, Pokémon does very little for me. I've played all mainline games and enjoyed them to an extent, but stuff like this just goes right over my head; don't see the appeal. My colleagues are going nuts for it though and I even see some folks around whom I know to not exactly be day-dwellers walking around with their phones out, so they must be doing something right.

I just hope Nintendo (though this is not a Nintendo game from what I gather) doesn't rest on their laurels and just make simple apps like this to make money. I hope succes stories like these translate into better AAA games from them.

oti

Banned
This is pretty amazing. From the looks of this thread and from what I've seen personally, it seems like EVERYBODY is playing this regardless of age. Even non-gamers are playing it. Looks like we may be on to something extraordinary here.

And it's not even out yet worldwide.
Not even out yet in Japan, the biggest market for mobile games.
It's not even getting advertised yet.
It's not even getting featured from Apple and Google yet.

Conan will have to have a segment on this eventually. There's no promotion yet. It's insane.

I've seen kids playing Red/Blue on their phones via emulator. There's a lot of money to be made there.

Oh yeah, there is no doubt there. A lot of my old friends love pokemon but grew out of it a long time ago. I know they'd buy mobile pokemon games just for the nostalgia. It's all about reaching a wider audience.

It comes down to this:
>$10 game + $0 phone they already own

vs

$10-$40 game + $180 handheld

The thing is, Nintendo could easily still keep the current gen Pokemon games exclusive to their handhelds. People who buy the old pokemon games on mobile might want to jump over to the handheld platform to get the new games, if they find out they love the old games as much as they remember.

cyress8

Banned
And it's not even out yet worldwide.
Not even out yet in Japan, the biggest market for mobile games.
It's not even getting advertised yet.
It's not even getting featured from Apple and Google yet.

Conan will have to have a segment on this eventually. There's no promotion yet. It's insane.

Think I might need to download it now. I want to be one of the popular kids that played before all these casuals started playing.

gngf123

Most of my facebook page is filled with friends playing this. In the UK, where the game isn't even released yet.

I have friends who aren't people who ever take an interest in technology, sideload the APK just to install it on their Android phones, or change their region on their iPhones so they have a US account.

I don't think I have ever seen this before.

Flakster99

Canadian here, and the hype is starting to get to me. I have friends elsewhere that are playing and their impressions are very cool to hear.

I can't wait to catch them all, wish it was sooner than later!

oti

Banned
Oh yeah, there is no doubt there. A lot of my old friends love pokemon but grew out of it a long time ago. I know they'd buy mobile pokemon games just for the nostalgia. It's all about reaching a wider audience.

It comes down to this:
>$10 game + $0 phone they already own

vs

$10-$40 game + $180 handheld

The thing is, Nintendo could easily still keep the current gen Pokemon games exclusive to their handhelds. People who buy the old pokemon games on mobile might want to jump over to the handheld platform to get the new games, if they find out they love the old games as much as they remember.

Oh sure. The main series still sells millions and is great. There's no reason those two things can't coexist on different ecosystems. Just make them talk to each other.

SYNERGY.

I would hope NX, whatever it turns out to be in the end, can run Pokémon GO. Getting 100% of the IAP sure sounds nicer than getting 70%. Also the rumours did say something about the OS running on Android but who knows. NX rumours are always kinda silly.

Skux

It's fantastic. I call it "orienteering for millennials". In addition to the crazy social phenomenon, it's great for rediscovering the place you already live in. You start going out of your way, taking detours and little paths and finding street art, parks, and all these cool little spots you'd never notice in your everyday life.

KJRS_1993

I hope the success of Pokémon Go shows some people what Nintendo can actually achieve when they put their content on devices people actually own, instead of expecting potential customers to buy clunky, unappealing consoles first.

Nintendo needs to do more of this.

BraXzy

Yesterday in Manchester me and a mate saw a guy taking photos or something on his phone, could've been a tourist, joked about him playing Pokemon go... he was!

LOZLINK

Sydney downtown is crazy. Seems like every second person is playing this. Definitely on the brink of a cultural phenomenon

I'm the gamer amongst my friends but they're the ones talking about it. It's not even out here yet.

This is crazy. It truly feels like we're on the late 90s with the Pokémon fever all over again. But this time, EVERYONE is playing it. On the late 90s, only the children were obsessed with Pokémon because they were the only ones with a Gameboy but today, everyone has a smarthphone and since the app is free, it only takes a few minutes to download it and try it out and it's there when people get hooked.

3139A1V.png

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
People have been begging for a Pokemon mmo for years, well here it is, but the world is the real world. It's a winning idea and released probably at the best time where phones are most capable of handling this stuff.

Meffer

Just a fad. Most people are gonna forget about it soon when the next app comes along.
People said the same exact thing when Pokemon became popular over 20 years ago. The irony with your statement is that this app made it incredibly popular again.

airjoca

I wonder how geocachers feel - because it's got a similar vibe.

I was thinking the same while reading this thread.

I've done a fair bit of geocaching and it was always fun to stumble upon people looking for the same cache you are, but this seems to be that x1000

Neoxon

I hope the success of Pokémon Go shows some people what Nintendo can actually achieve when they put their content on devices people actually own, instead of expecting potential customers to buy clunky, unappealing consoles first.

While this technically isn't part of Nintendo's mobile initiative, their mobile games are mainly for raising awareness for their dedicated console/handheld games, not to replace them. And even then, a third party Nintendo wouldn't be the same Nintendo that we know now. Hell, the future of mainline Pokémon games would be in flux without Nintendo handhelds.

Kyzer

Banned
Why do we continually mention Nintendo when this is a hit done by The Pokémon Company and Niantic?

It was actually Google x Nintendo funded though wasn't it? It's Nintendo game. Plus they own a lot of TPC.

I actually tried to buy a decent smartphone just so I could play this game... and failed, because it was unable to pick up the GPS signal. Maaaaan I want to play it so bad.

I borrowed a friends phone, walked around, catched a rhydon, took down a gym with hitmonchan. I am sold.

...did you turn on GPS?

enemy2k

A lot of my casual and non gamer friends have been all been talking Pokemon Go. Its kind of crazy how fast this became a phenomenon.

phyrlord

Yeah all my like 30 year old friends are really into it. I just don't have the nostalgia for it. in the 90's I was playing golden eye and Diablo, didn't care about Pokemon. I was 10 and Pokemon seems like a young kids game.

Even still POKEMON GO is just POKEMON Snap 2016.

it's kind of insane how it both solidifies their base while expanding its reach to people far outside it. Pokemon are cool.

crazy that there's a new Pokemon game and it's not on any Nintendo systems

Wish this came out during the Cavs 'chip. Imagine all the Pokemon at the Championship parade :eek:

Galang

Banned
They really need to stabilize the places the game has launched first before moving to the other countries. People rushing them to release it everywhere need to calm down and wait. If they're going to do a global launch they need to do it right as I'm sure the success likely even caught them off guard. I would like to see Nintendo succeed so I hope they really are looking at optimizing the servers worldwide

Hoo-doo

Banned
They really need to stabilize the places the game has launched first before moving to the other countries. People rushing them to release it everywhere need to calm down and wait. If they're going to do a global launch they need to do it right as I'm sure the success likely even caught them off guard

Shit's already spreading like wildfire in the areas where it hasn't officially launched. Downloading it from another region takes two minutes.

And servers have held up without a hitch all day.

T.O.P

Banned
Shit's already spreading like wildfire in the areas where it hasn't officially launched. Downloading it from another region takes two minutes.

And servers have held up without a hitch all day.

Yeah i had like 8 people came to the Hotspot where i dropped a Lure Model

And the game is not even out here (i also live in a small ass towm)

It's insane

Wensih

Yeah all my like 30 year old friends are really into it. I just don't have the nostalgia for it. in the 90's I was playing golden eye and Diablo, didn't care about Pokemon. I was 10 and Pokemon seems like a young kids game.

The Pokemon game that people have been pining for a sequel since the original came out 17 years ago? I need to download this app (I don't think my phone is new enough to handle it).

#1: Where did you live where 10 year olds weren't playing pokemon when it came out? I was 12 when pokemon came out, I was playing Golden Eye, Diablo, and yes Pokemon as were ALL of my friends.

#2: There is nothing wrong with it being Pokemon Snap 2016 :)

SLV

#1: Where did you live where 10 year olds weren't playing pokemon when it came out?

#2: There is nothing wrong with it being Pokemon Snap 2016 :)

Eastern Europe for example, it was Mu online and counter strike for the most part here at that time.

KAL2006

Banned
I live in the UK this game is all over my Facebook feed from people Iddidn't expect to play this game. The thing is its not even out here in the UK Ihave no idea how ppeopleare playing this. I was curious to check it out but Google play shows not available in my region and I'm too lazy to find a workaround

SLV

I live in the UK this game is all over my Facebook feed from people Iddidn't expect to play this game. The thing is its not even out here in the UK Ihave no idea how ppeopleare playing this. I was curious to check it out but Google play shows not available in my region and I'm too lazy to find a workaround

Apkmirror.com, type pokemon go in top right search

Vire

My favorite part of this has been the "hardcore" Pokemon fans popping into every thread to assure everyone the game is garbage.

I just saw this in the other Pokemon Sun/Moon thread, it's sad.

This game brings random strangers together in an organic and really fun way in the real world. The lure at Pokestops is such a great idea.

Stealth "Nintendo needs to go third party" post?

gngf123

Everyone on Android is sideloading it from apkmirror. Those with iPhones are switching their phones region and creating a US iTunes account for it.

Top Bottom