• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Is BLOPS II a record for game disappearing from the charts and then resurging with zero remaster or new edition, it just picked back up again?

The NES is the #2 console in North America

I for one would totally buy a Genesis classic if it came with the real sound chip.

SNES Classic will be a monster
It can only be a monster if they don't promptly discontinue it. If they do, it'll be a fluky blip for a few months and then vanish into thin air, never to be seen again.

singhr1

Yay Persona!!!

Also, more quantifiable proof against "nobody plays BC games"

Clearly people still love COD. Activision just needs to put out one that hits the right notes

The image used for the Venturebeat article tho:

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/18/april-2017-npd/

q0py8Ux.jpg

Should have been Splatoon girl giving the persona kids the now censored 'up yours' victory pose.

NotLiquid

A port of a year old game, with two days of tracking, sold the best last month. Fucking incredible. Really underscores how unwanted the Wii U was. Not only that but a discontinued console at #2? Nintendo walks away this month straight up trailblazing.

A great showing by Persona 5 as well.

Sterok

NES and Mario Kart are beasts, Persona and Zelda are doing great, and Puyo Puyo charted on a top 10 list in the US. Good month.

So how much sold Persona 5? 300k ?

Mario Kart 8 did 460,000 physically. Both it and P5's rankings on here are physical only, so probably 300-400k?

EDIT: Atlus said 1.5 million at the beginning of April but that probably includes digital. it suggests 550k within Japan and then the remaining 900k worldwide. P5 probably did 500-600k including digital for NA and maybe 300-400k without it if I had to guess.

Boke1879

It's a brand new console that just launched not long ago it would be very worrying if it didn't outsell the other 2 machines lol

I get what you're trying to say and I agree as it's still within the first two months of the consoles launch.

But Switch doesn't look to be slowing down in this first year. Nintendo clearly has a steady stream of first party content to keep people interested and it's looking like it's working. They are selling all they are making.

13ruce

Banned
Holy shit Zelda is doing mighty fine. It probably already outsold Skyward Sword by now.

Onwards to the 10 million+ lifetime sales achievement in 2-3 years;)

Persona being second and first on ps4 is very cool Japanese games back on top baby!

Mariokart well it's MK you know they always sell like crazy + having MK 8 portable is insane.

Jotaka

As I said before MS is fighting to keep in the 2nd place in this generation because Nintendo is coming to get that 2nd place :D

Griss

That's the most interesting top 10 I've seen in a long time, BLOPs 2 making it in at 10 five years later is just the icing on the cake.

sense

Not sure why people are surprised with nes classic. Nintendo put out one last decent shipment and told everyone they won't make them anymore....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait. Andromeda is the 5th best selling game of the year and EA still put the franchise on ice?

AAA video games, and I mean the actual AAA ones (usually $50-$100+ million development budget alone, with most in the $80-$100+ million bracket), are a very harsh market.

But the core concern is that whatever they release 3-5 years from now, if based directly on Andromeda's formula, would not make money, even if Andromeda most likely will make a reasonable to good profit, thus the need for hiatus and figuring out what to do next.

P5 doing 5x P4's launch is great, but we should also remember P4 came out on the PS2 in 2008. Its launch was probably tiny. Anybody still got the numbers for it?

To be fair, the PS2 was still selling great in 2008. Thing had legs for years. I believe there were even a few months in 2009 where it outsold the PS3.

I'm confused. 280k doesn't sound especially impressive, but maybe I'm remembering my relative numbers incorrectly?

No you're right, it is quite low. If the Switch wasn't so damn supply constrained, it would be concerning for new hardware in its 2nd month. Worth keeping in mind though too that April is typically a pretty dead month for hardware. Neither the PS4 nor XB1 have ever sold 280k in April.

Good to see Nintendo stopped making the NES Mini. It was never meant to be big profit business. Now they're making the SNES Mini and it'll probably cost $80-$100 and will make insane money.

Welfare

No one uses BC /s

My bro just bought BO2 this month because of BC. Incredible that it generated more revenue than IW.

Usobuko

Banned
The return of Nintendo like profits.

Even with online subscription fees, it's extremely hard for Nintendo switch's profits to outgun both Wii's and DS's during its best era.

To really return to Nintendo like profits is to embrace mobile and whale'd the willing.

Kouriozan

I'm confused. 280k doesn't sound especially impressive, but maybe I'm remembering my relative numbers incorrectly?

Yeah this is kinda low, could do better but

Hardware

The Nintendo Switch outsold PlayStation 4 and Xbox One for the second month in a row. Nintendo still seems like it is selling every Switch it makes instantaneously, with most people reporting that they still haven't seen one on store shelves.

Still largely supply constrained.

RootCause

Lol Remember when people said Horizon was being sent to die. Here were, the fourth best selling game after four months. lol

Also, Ubi is crazy. Taking the two spots is just insane.

Kayant

Props to NPD on getting Sony/MS on board now for the remaining...

6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b-320wi

Never expected a boost to that degree especially with this being revenue based now!

Edit -

Regarding BC Black Ops 2.

Scoops

Banned
True - but there is no way it will be that cheap again now Nintendo saw how high the demand is. Min 100 bucks and fewer games.

I would expect a SNES Classic to be more expensive and/or fewer games to begin with based off the more intricate nature of SNES games over NES games. Not sure high sales of the NES Classic would be a factor in that.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Lego City Undercover being #13 on the overall charts but only showing up on Switch's charts (at #3)...does that mean that Switch's sales likely carried LCU to chart at all?

It's interesting to compare the Switch and overall charts. MK8D was #1 on both, Zelda was #2 on Switch and #3 overall, and LCU was #3 on Switch and #13 overall. The differences between Switch and the overall charts really grows with LCU after being pretty similar.

Top Bottom