• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Update 2:
Important post

https://www.release.tdnet.info/inbs/140120130627078929.pdf

This is the official press release sent out announcing their civil restructuring. There's a lot of legal speak in it, but further down one of the important sections is their outlook for the situation. It states that the game division is clearly the most desirable and functional part of Index's business, and that's one area they plan on expanding on specifically. They will seek out and select a sponsor as soon as possible to conduct a business transfer before the situation further damages the value of this core business.

Sounds like they're looking for a partner or a straight buy-out.

Update 1:
http://japan.cnet.com/news/business/35033951/

Index will undergo civil rehabilitation proceedings. Yup, they're going bankrupt and they're going to be restructured by creditors it looks like. RIP.

Justin Epperson ‏@sprsk 7m
Index holdings just announced they are going bankrupt: http://j.mp/14yXH7U Maybe there's a Dragon's Crown curse?

https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/350164804150886400

V_Ben

Banned
Ok, so what does this mean for Atlus then? Do they get spun off into a separate thing? Does somebody buy them?

Yup. All the major JP blogs are reporting this as well. All the Japanese artists/animators/developers I follow on Twitter have been going on about it for the past ten minutes.

RIP Index.

Jonnyram

Assuming Dragon's Crown will still be safe, since retailers have probably put in their orders by now (i.e. put cash down), but anything after that is pretty much up in the air :(

Hope they find some help!

Sell Atlus please. (I know it's not a separate company anymore, but just sell the assets and IPs to a company that isn't run by crooks.)

And if any of the big three are getting Atlus, it'll be Nintendo. They are gonna make that power move.

AniHawk

that is fucking crazy. will be an interesting day tomorrow.

Assuming Dragon's Crown will still be safe, since retailers have probably put in their orders by now (i.e. put cash down), but anything after that is pretty much up in the air :(

Hope they find some help!

i assume nintendo will force fe x smt through considering the fe part of that equation.

Silky

Banned
According to wiki [take this with a grain of salt please.], Index Holdings operates Atlus under the Atlus brand.

Soo...this could be bad.

Let Atlus be independent pls

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Seriously, can someone tell us what does it mean for Atlus? It's too relevant, we must know abotu them ;_;

Refyref

Before everyone starts begging for their favorite corporation to buy the game division, bear in mind that is extremely unlikely, and would probably hurt them.

Sell Atlus please. (I know it's not a separate company anymore, but just sell the assets and IPs to a company that isn't run by crooks.)

And if any of the big three are getting Atlus, it'll be Nintendo. They are gonna make that power move.

I can't quite see Nintendo doing that.

And boy, I could see a lot of outrage if that did happen.

Before everyone starts begging for their favorite corporation to buy the game division, bear in mind that is extremely unlikely, and would probably hurt them.

Hurt who? The company that buys them has a stable of game franchises ready to go lol, to the detriment of the others.

It can only help them.

All that will happen is that they'll undergo "reorganization" and then it'll be business as usual. Japanese bankruptcy laws are Neat Like That. Whether or not this will have an actual impact on Atlus is unknown, but it is unlikely.

...well, I guess they might start pumping out Persona games on a yearly basis.

I can't quite see Nintendo doing that.

And boy, I could see a lot of outrage if that did happen.
They seem to be getting pretty chummy with the Shin Megami Tensei series lately.

It would be quite the boon for them IMO.

nintendo won't be buying them. i don't think sony would either.

tecmo-koei might be a large-ish company that could do it. maaaaaaybe konami? the only rpg franchise they sorta have is dragon's dogma.
Both interpretations of this quote would be horrible. Neither of them should be concerning themselves with Atlus when they can't even get their actual RPG series in order, let alone anything else.

Kyon

Banned

tecmo-koei might be a large-ish company that could do it. maaaaaaybe konami? the only rpg franchise they sorta have is dragon's dogma.

thats capcom

They seem to be getting pretty chummy with the Shin Megami Tensei series lately.

It would be quite the boon for them IMO.

oh god

catmincer

Heh heh heh. They also have breath of fire ;)

Mandoric

Banned
To quote a market research firm's English-language FAQ about the procedure...

Teikoku Databank said:
Civil Rehabilitation Law
The Civil Rehabilitation Law was introduced in April 2000, replacing the Composition Law. The Civil Rehabilitation Law may be applied to all corporations and individuals, including joint stock companies, limited liability companies, medical corporations and educational corporations. The purpose of the Civil Rehabilitation Law is rapid rehabilitation before a corporate failure becomes more serious. The party applying the Law is normally an obligor. A creditor may also apply, however. The management rights rest with the former management in principle. However, there are cases in which a supervision order (supervision committee members are selected and given guardianship over a business owner) or an administration order (an administrator is selected and appointed and manages the business in place of the business owner) may be issued based on an application of an interested person or the official power of a court. The approval of a rehabilitation plan requires the approval of a majority of creditors present owed half or more of the amount of reported credits. If the approval of creditors with three fifths or more of reported credits is obtained, a procedure to investigate and determine credits may be omitted (simple rehabilitation). If approved by all of notified creditors, approval for a plan can be obtained immediately (approved rehabilitation).

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors. Think, say, GM or Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom