• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

My copy of Mint Works arrived from KS today. Worker placement in a mint tin. Fun little game that will accompany us to restaurants.

Got Comancheria, a solitaire GMT game from Joel Toppen, a sequel of sorts to Navajo Wars. Looking forward to getting this to the table. Also from GMT Sekigahara unification of Japan got a reprint. Been wanting this for a long time and it's now in the collection.

Finally Gloomhaven shipping notification, I'm cooling slightly on this one, the box looks like a shipping container and boxes within boxes. Not sure where I'm going to store this beast.

I have not played mint works yet but I think the tin is really cool.

The way everything is scrunched so tightly inside the tin? Not so fond of.

KJ869

Unrelated, but I'm offering my communities some free game codes from the Humble Freedom bundle. Just reply in this thread with your request, first come first serve, one game per post. No spamming the thread, please!
I would like overgrowth if still free

Keasar

The way I solved it was by taking the rulebook and reference pamphlet and cut the 4 corners of them by a few millimeters. Now everything goes in and out of the tin easily.

Mr E.

Rule book needs a slight bend to get in or out but the rest is fine for me. Actually the rule book secures stuff underneath if the lid were to pop open. Yoo could clip the corners of the rules if needed.

Do your cards need bending to get in or out?

EYEL1NER

I just got shipping confirmation for Millennium Blades: Set Rotation, so anyone waiting on that or the reprint of the base game should be getting theirs soon. I also received a message asking me to verify my address for Fugitive, so that should be arriving in the US sometime in the next week or two, I imagine. EDIT: Looks like Tim Fowers said yesterday that Fugitive arrives at warehouses this week and shipping starts next week.

Brad posted a video on the KS page for BattleCON Trials showing off the prototype for the Big Box storage solution and is taking comments/opinions in the KS comments. If you are someone who like me is desperately wanting a storage solution that will hold everything but you didn't back, I imagine you could provide feedback on it via email to L99. The price he was looking at would be between $50 to $100, closer to $50 if it is only produced for Kickstarter backers and closer to $100 if he wants to take it to retail. The price could come down a bit if he doesn't include a set of base cards for every fighter designed to be stored in each tuckbox with a fighter's UA and kit. I originally envisioned something that would look completely different but I need something to store my BattleCON stuff in, so I gave some of my opinions to him and said I'd buy one right now even at the more expensive price.

Rule book needs a slight bend to get in or out but the rest is fine for me. Actually the rule book secures stuff underneath if the lid were to pop open. Yoo could clip the corners of the rules if needed.

Do your cards need bending to get in or out?

Yes. Not a great deal but just enough to stab a dagger into my soul.

Cut the rule book? I've heard that solution and it makes a lot of sense but ... *curls up into a little ball and cries*

Keasar

Yes. Not a great deal but just enough to stab a dagger into my soul.

Cut the rule book? I've heard that solution and it makes a lot of sense but ... *curls up into a little ball and cries*

Like I said, it's just a few millimeters and it's still nice and symmetrical if you do it right. :p

I just got shipping confirmation for Millennium Blades: Set Rotation, so anyone waiting on that or the reprint of the base game should be getting theirs soon. I also received a message asking me to verify my address for Fugitive, so that should be arriving in the US sometime in the next week or two, I imagine. EDIT: Looks like Tim Fowers said yesterday that Fugitive arrives at warehouses this week and shipping starts next week.

Brad posted a video on the KS page for BattleCON Trials showing off the prototype for the Big Box storage solution and is taking comments/opinions in the KS comments. If you are someone who like me is desperately wanting a storage solution that will hold everything but you didn't back, I imagine you could provide feedback on it via email to L99. The price he was looking at would be between $50 to $100, closer to $50 if it is only produced for Kickstarter backers and closer to $100 if he wants to take it to retail. The price could come down a bit if he doesn't include a set of base cards for every fighter designed to be stored in each tuckbox with a fighter's UA and kit. I originally envisioned something that would look completely different but I need something to store my BattleCON stuff in, so I gave some of my opinions to him and said I'd buy one right now even at the more expensive price.

If the base cards have unique art for each fighter, I'd be throwing money down for that right away, otherwise I am good with a cheaper option that just gives me the tuck boxes and large storage. Still, it's nice to see them move forward with this, I already have some ad-hoc solutions for storage but the "Character Select Screen" with all the small tuck boxes that someone on BGG had made is still the most attractive one.

fenners

Finally Gloomhaven shipping notification, I'm cooling slightly on this one, the box looks like a shipping container and boxes within boxes. Not sure where I'm going to store this beast.

We played the first scenario of this last night, three player. Was a ton of fun, and I can see a ton of long-term scope for storytelling & character building. It's deceptively simple for movement/combat rules, but still presented a challenge. I dig.

The "Boxes within boxes" works pretty well, though it was a challenge at the end of the night to get all the tiles back in (though it was late & store was closing so we rushed).

EYEL1NER

If the base cards have unique art for each fighter, I'd be throwing money down for that right away, otherwise I am good with a cheaper option that just gives me the tuck boxes and large storage. Still, it's nice to see them move forward with this, I already have some ad-hoc solutions for storage but the "Character Select Screen" with all the small tuck boxes that someone on BGG had made is still the most attractive one.
It's just sets of generic bases, so that way you only need to remove a tuckbox with a fighter and you've got everything inside that you need to play a match. I think they were maybe planning on unique bases for Trials but that got scrapped? If they go the route of just the box and tuckboxes, I hope they have an add on option for a set of bases for each tuckbox. I agree with anyone saying that they are totally unnecessary; you just need the four sets and you're good to go. I would still buy them just to have them though.
I'm thinking that this project is farther away than I was hoping. Maybe 2018 will see me being able to really play BattleCON a lot.

Speaking of shipping confirmation, I just got my War of the Ring Anniversary Edition shipping confirmation. Yay!

Same! Though, I only got the "deluxe edition" upgrade and not the full anniversary edition. Still, very happy to get the bigger board and hardbound rulebook.

Not sure if this was said in this thread, but Portal Games put their store back up (this time not using Paypal). According to their Facebook there are less than 100 copies left! I'd imagine that the remaining copies will be sold out over the weekend. They also put up a new video explaining the building, upgrading and repair actions of the game. I think it's looking great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzEjHxJnww

Damn Pandemic Legacy is brutal. Twice tonight in different months we came one turn away from winning but failing. First running out of cards and then by outbreaks. :(

How is Galaxy Trucker?

My family generally plays casual games like Love Letters, Blokus and King of Tokyo, but we don't shy away from stuff like Catan, Quantum and Carcassonne occasionally. Carc with multiple expansions is about the limit of how complex we can go.

I really like GT's theme and how it seems to be kind of an FTL board game of sorts, and it has good reviews.

But it's also kind of expensive, so it's not a game I can buy on impulse.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Another game of One Deck Dungeon!

I tried the Paladin. I died right as I uncovered the stairs to Floor 2. I've got no idea how to strategize in this game yet. There were multiple points in my delve that I had 4 doors open that were 100% impossible for me to defeat. :|

How is Galaxy Trucker?

It's a love it or hate it game. It's the least fun I've ever had playing a "good" board game. It sounds fun on paper and several of the designer's other games are in my Top 10, but I got absolutely no enjoyment from any of my experiences with it (I've been forced to play multiple times and they all played out the same tedious way).

I'd pick Space Alert over Galaxy Trucker any day for an FTL-like experience. Space Alert is consistently panicked (and fun), while Galaxy Trucker is frontloaded so all the (supposed) fun happens in the first few minutes of ship-building followed by dull book-keeping as it falls apart.

It's a love it or hate it game. It's the least fun I've ever had playing a "good" board game. It sounds fun on paper and several of the designer's other games are in my Top 10, but I got absolutely no enjoyment from any of my experiences with it (I've been forced to play multiple times and they all played out the same tedious way).

I'd pick Space Alert over Galaxy Trucker any day for an FTL-like experience. Space Alert is consistently panicked (and fun), while Galaxy Trucker is frontloaded so all the (supposed) fun happens in the first few minutes of ship-building followed by dull book-keeping as it falls apart.

I've looked at Space Alert before, but my brother doesn't do co-op games. Which is a shame because everyone else likes Pandemic and we'd play it more, but he won't do it.

Palmer_v1

How is Champions of Midgard? The KS expansion is just announced and I do like Vikings.

I played it twice a while back and liked it. It's one I'm always willing to play again.

It's fairly similar to Waterdeep in it's worker placement aspects, but not quite as deep. On the other hand, it adds a bit of dice rolling luck with soldiers that you purchase and use against invading enemies, as well as some pseudo exploration via longships.

It's got a much better theme than Waterdeep.

Mr E.

Another game of One Deck Dungeon!

I tried the Paladin. I died right as I uncovered the stairs to Floor 2. I've got no idea how to strategize in this game yet. There were multiple points in my delve that I had 4 doors open that were 100% impossible for me to defeat. :|
Doesn't sound right, what Dungeon you attempting ?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

It's definitely love-it-or-hate it as I have the exact opposite take, even w/r/t Space Alert (which I find incredibly dry (since you're basically just solving a timed puzzle and there's zero randomness once things are set -- but I generally dislike zero-randomness games so ymmv) and way too hard to teach for a game that technically takes ten minutes).

I love Galaxy Trucker as to me it's just so fun to scramble to build a ship and then basically cross your fingers to see whose can survive the best. We do house rule that you can't even look at the upcoming cards as that further levels the playing field and makes it even crazier, which again in some games can be annoying but I just love in Galaxy Trucker which feels like a seat-of-your-pants romp the whole time. All that said, yeah if you play with the type of people who get upset that their supposedly brilliant strategies were allegedly ruined by randomness, DO NOT play this game. Also the game is a romp, but not a casual or gateway game. I'd put it at solid mediumweight at least, and it can be overwhelming to new players because there are several different layers of rules even though none of them are individually complex.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Doesn't sound right, what Dungeon you attempting ?

The first one - Dragon's Lair maybe?

The problem was that I had 4 doors that were heavily loaded with stats I did not have dice for. Even if I would have rolled all 6's and done converting, I would not have had enough to clear a card. So I picked the lesser of 4 evils, uncovered more, etc etc but still died because there was just NO way to catch back up.

I love the game for what it is, but it's starting to show it's colors as more luck than skill.

Mr E.

The first one - Dragon's Lair maybe?

The problem was that I had 4 doors that were heavily loaded with stats I did not have dice for. Even if I would have rolled all 6's and done converting, I would not have had enough to clear a card. So I picked the lesser of 4 evils, uncovered more, etc etc but still died because there was just NO way to catch back up.

I love the game for what it is, but it's starting to show it's colors as more luck than skill.

Hmm I'm not sure what to add here.

Your playing correctly ? You are still claiming the card even though you never beat it and only taking damage from stat boxes you couldn't defeat?

Skills are super helpful. If my character is low on Agility die I would add a skill that allows the burning of Combat die to add Agility die etc.

I can more often than not reach the Boss most times.

shouldnt be that hard to reach the Boss, beating him is a different matter.

Edit to add Skills can be used Multiple times except for the one offs. The circular arrows symbol. They are one time uses.

Hey all,
I'm moving and want to try to get rid of a few games to lighten the load.
Since I respect you all and the Gaf Community as a whole, I'm open to bartering.
Anywho, here is what I got:
Hit z road- $25
Race for the Galaxy+ Gathering storm- $30
Quarriors- $25
Agricola All Creatures Big and Small- $40
Alien Encounters- $25 (Scratches and Small puncture to the box D: )

Shipping will be about $5.
I'm very open to trades too :)

How is Galaxy Trucker?

My family generally plays casual games like Love Letters, Blokus and King of Tokyo, but we don't shy away from stuff like Catan, Quantum and Carcassonne occasionally. Carc with multiple expansions is about the limit of how complex we can go.

I really like GT's theme and how it seems to be kind of an FTL board game of sorts, and it has good reviews.

But it's also kind of expensive, so it's not a game I can buy on impulse.

The app is excellent so buy that and see what you think.

Chris R

Almost done with Pandemic Legacy (3 games left most likely)

Now to try something else to play with 2-5 people that isn't tooooo involved. We loved both Risk and Pandemic Legacy

Chris R

TIME Stories and the extra cases is very fun, but 1-4 only.

1-4 is fine, we started risk with 3 and it grew to 5, and it seems that we will finish pandemic as 3 after the 4th decided he didn't want to play at any given point the past two weeks.

I'll have to check it out (and BGG as well)

Gurrry

Went from going 3-0 and winning the tournament last week with Kylo Dooku.... to going 0-3 tonight.

I went against 2 vader/raiders back to back. I really messed up and targeted the raider first in my first game. I couldve potentially killed vader that game and won, but i ended up eating a huge 3 melee damage off a force throw from claiming the battlefield.

From then, it was just bad games and bad rolls. Still had fun as always but it sucks not winning at all haha.

PittaGAF

Just saw Warhammer Quest Shadow over Hammerfal.
Cool, but I'm sooooo disappointed it requires a DM unlike Silver Tower.
What a massive letdown for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just saw Warhammer Quest Shadow over Hammerfal.
Cool, but I'm sooooo disappointed it requires a DM unlike Silver Tower.
What a massive letdown for me.

Is that the "expansion" to Silver Tower? Or like, the continuation?

If so, that's SUCH a bummer. I never grabbed Silver Tower because I've got Descent, Gloomhaven, Zombicide, Massive Darkness, and all the D&D Adventure Games. So many miniature games.

Anyone here have Rallyman? I've been contemplating hunting down a copy.

PittaGAF

If so, that's SUCH a bummer. I never grabbed Silver Tower because I've got Descent, Gloomhaven, Zombicide, Massive Darkness, and all the D&D Adventure Games. So many miniature games.

It's the next one in the Warhammer Quest board games series.
Set in a city and dungeons, it's a brand new adventure and includes 'between adventures' skill upgrading similar to settlements in the original Warhammer Quest (as far as I understood).
Heroes are compatible (so you can bring your own heroes from Silver Tower, also enemies looks compatible too).
But inexplicably...this one requires a Game Master, so it's not fully coop as Silver Tower, which was one of its biggest selling points imho, separating it from, let's say, Descent (pre app).

Game looks cool, rules are like Silver Tower ones (which are awesome imho) but instead of AI and the adventures book....it requires a Game Master.
Also it doesn't seem to me from a first glance (but I'm not totally sure) that dungeons are randomized like in Silver Tower and the original WHQ...Looks to me they are fixed like in Descent, which I don't like at all (I may be wrong tough).

So anyway this means no one in my group will ever play it unless I do the Game Master (which I won't), no solo play, no play with my son.
So...no buy for me.
Such a massive letdown.

But hey, I'm still playing and massively enjoying Silver Tower so I guess I saved 120 euros.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah that's a let down. I remember reading the announcement and thinking I would finally invest in Silver Tower. But if they are going to change the formula as they expand the line, I'm not too into the idea of dumping money into it right now. I mean, they could do an app? But I'm sort of blah on apps required to enjoy my games. I don't want it to become the norm...

Lyng

Got Galaxy Trucker to the table today. Very fun game. Its a fun, light rump for those days where I am not in the mood for a deep heavy game. Its going to stay in my collection.

PittaGAF

Yeah that's a let down. I remember reading the announcement and thinking I would finally invest in Silver Tower. But if they are going to change the formula as they expand the line, I'm not too into the idea of dumping money into it right now. I mean, they could do an app? But I'm sort of blah on apps required to enjoy my games. I don't want it to become the norm...

If you are looking for a full coop dungeon crawler, I still fully recommend Silver Tower.

Bii

Looks like Mondo is entering the board game scene in collaboration with Project Raygun.

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/project-raygun-mondo-presents-the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31

We're thrilled to announce a new partnership with Project Raygun, USAopoly's brand new initiative focused on combining iconic properties with visionary art and design.

“The synergy between Mondo and Project Raygun was immediate, both driven by zeal and a deep-rooted appreciation of timeless and relevant pop culture,” explains VP of Project Raygun, Mike Gonzales.

“When Project Raygun started talking about tapping into fan’s passion and nostalgia for iconic properties and bringing them to life, it was clear that Mondo was the perfect fit to help us deliver the ultimate experience to the gaming and collector community,” continued John Davis, USAopoly and Project Raygun’s President and CEO.

Our first collaboration will center around John Carpenter’s 1982 sci-fi horror thriller, The Thing. In the new signature board game, titled INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, the tension and mystery of The Thing is recreated as players race to discover who among them are infected in the hidden identity game play engine. We recruited one of our favorite artists and package designers, Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative, to handle art duties.

“When we set out to create the first licensed Mondo board game the biggest question was; what film property would we go after? So many of the films we celebrate at Mondo would be an absolute blast in game form,” explained Jay Shaw, Mondo Brand Director. “As soon as John Carpenter’s suspense masterpiece, The Thing was mentioned it very quickly became our top choice,” Shaw noted.

“The next step was to figure out how to actually make a game. We all love playing them, but none of us had designed one before. Game mechanics are an incredibly complicated art form and we didn’t want to enter this space unless we were going to get it right. Luckily our dear friends at Project Raygun were completely up to the challenge. They’ve built an incredibly challenging fast paced game of paranoia that transports players directly into the film,” Shaw continued.

USAopoly, Inc. and Project Raygun will be at Toy Fair in New York City, February 18-21. The division’s inaugural product line is scheduled for release starting Fall 2017.

It's the next one in the Warhammer Quest board games series.
Set in a city and dungeons, it's a brand new adventure and includes 'between adventures' skill upgrading similar to settlements in the original Warhammer Quest (as far as I understood).
Heroes are compatible (so you can bring your own heroes from Silver Tower, also enemies looks compatible too).
But inexplicably...this one requires a Game Master, so it's not fully coop as Silver Tower, which was one of its biggest selling points imho, separating it from, let's say, Descent (pre app).

Game looks cool, rules are like Silver Tower ones (which are awesome imho) but instead of AI and the adventures book....it requires a Game Master.
Also it doesn't seem to me from a first glance (but I'm not totally sure) that dungeons are randomized like in Silver Tower and the original WHQ...Looks to me they are fixed like in Descent, which I don't like at all (I may be wrong tough).

So anyway this means no one in my group will ever play it unless I do the Game Master (which I won't), no solo play, no play with my son.
So...no buy for me.
Such a massive letdown.

But hey, I'm still playing and massively enjoying Silver Tower so I guess I saved 120 euros.

Are the components not compatible with Silver Tower? As in the new heroes and enemies usable into Silver Tower?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So i suppose you guys know these loot crate box thingies that are all over the internet for merchandise, comic books and whatnot. I was able to find some that send you a random boardgame per month, which is super unappealing if you already have quite a good collection, buuuuuuuut.... are there any of those things with just boardgame promos? I know some magazines that at a few pieces of extra content as bonus to the magazine, but are there "box services" for that? I might be up for that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So i suppose you guys know these loot crate box thingies that are all over the internet for merchandise, comic books and whatnot. I was able to find some that send you a random boardgame per month, which is super unappealing if you already have quite a good collection, buuuuuuuut.... are there any of those things with just boardgame promos? I know some magazines that at a few pieces of extra content as bonus to the magazine, but are there "box services" for that? I might be up for that.

Not that I know of. Spielbox magazine does have a promo most months, and things like Dice Tower Kickstarter (and I'm sure other podcast/YT Kickstarters) and BSW advent calendar do too. Tough thing with all of those is that even if you're insanely hardcore (like me; 350+ games)...80% of the stuff will be totally irrelevant to you unless you want to go through the hassle of selling it or easier giving it away.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
More Splotter madness. Played a game of Food Chain Magnate that devolved into an insane counter-marketing war. Multiple rounds with *maybe* 1 house getting served. There were planes and radio towers all over the place. Finally i was able to lock down a round where I served 3 houses at triple price basically and won in one go, basically.

Followed that with a game of Indonesia where someone managed a shippng monopoly and was just getting constant cash every round. He blew us oit of the water. I am on the hunt for their other 3 big games now but they are so damn hard to get.

Mr E.

Yeah Rallymans great how did you get on with One deck dungeon.

Rallyman out of print and expansion which is great is out of print. Good luck finding that.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not that I know of. Spielbox magazine does have a promo most months, and things like Dice Tower Kickstarter (and I'm sure other podcast/YT Kickstarters) and BSW advent calendar do too. Tough thing with all of those is that even if you're insanely hardcore (like me; 350+ games)...80% of the stuff will be totally irrelevant to you unless you want to go through the hassle of selling it or easier giving it away.

Yeah, I ordered a Spielbox once and got some nice goodies, but I wasnt particularly fond of the actual magazine content, which still felt really lightweight. I would rather pay the money for more random promos instead. One of the promo pieces looked so nice, that it got me to order the game it was for (New York 1901). Havent played it yet, but I liked the added incentive it gave me to check out that game. So yeah, that would be nice.

Also: What are the most interesting/intricate games about player trading that you guys played? My boardgame group is very experienced, edging more on the hardcore side by now and they recently voiced their interest to try a game focussing on that.

fenners

Also: What are the most interesting/intricate games about player trading that you guys played? My boardgame group is very experienced, edging more on the hardcore side by now and they recently voiced their interest to try a game focussing on that.

It's an oldie for sure, but it's still by far & away the most amazing trading game I've played - Genoa. Everything is up for trade & negotiation, it's utterly integral to the game mechanics, and you'll likely never win if you don't trade.

Top Bottom