• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Manbig

The new god looks amusing and fun to play. Bastet nerfs don't seem so bad, but I am also very grateful for the change to Qin. Warriors absolutely eating everyone alive with that item was so obnoxious.

The new god looks amusing and fun to play. Bastet nerfs don't seem so bad, but I am also very grateful for the change to Qin. Warriors absolutely eating everyone alive with that item was so obnoxious.

That new god does look like a pretty cool kit. Lots of abilities that are a little out of the usual and that passive is very interesting. Having to get what...10 basic attacks at level 20 to get the full kill on him could be really difficult to do in a hectic late game battle. Especially if he's saved that yawn ability since it say that he can use it while sleeping. I'm not really pro enough level to speak to any of the other changes, but balance patches are always welcome to me.

My goal with this game was just to spend the $7 on the lowest amount of gems then just play with favor from there. But I'm hooked enough that I'm actually going to pay in some more. Too many cool gods to try out and favor gain is just too slow to get me there. It's really bad for me since even though I'm a rookie player and new MOBA player I *love* theory crafting builds, so it pains me to not have access to other gods to try out.

Yeah Kumbhakarna's passive seems awesome. Even in Arena which only lasts about 15-20 mins, that's a possible extra 4-5 lives (it has a 4 minute cooldown).

Plus, his ult is Walrus Punch!

d2VuI3D.gif

Manbig

That new god does look like a pretty cool kit. Lots of abilities that are a little out of the usual and that passive is very interesting. Having to get what...10 basic attacks at level 20 to get the full kill on him could be really difficult to do in a hectic late game battle. Especially if he's saved that yawn ability since it say that he can use it while sleeping. I'm not really pro enough level to speak to any of the other changes, but balance patches are always welcome to me.

My goal with this game was just to spend the $7 on the lowest amount of gems then just play with favor from there. But I'm hooked enough that I'm actually going to pay in some more. Too many cool gods to try out and favor gain is just too slow to get me there. It's really bad for me since even though I'm a rookie player and new MOBA player I *love* theory crafting builds, so it pains me to not have access to other gods to try out.

Check if the sale on all of the gods is still going on. It's very much worth it IMO.

drgambit

Banned
Loving the game so far...

Is it just me, or are there balance issues? I can recall some characters jumping at least 5-6 levels very early in the game and getting unstoppable.

Also, I accidentally got disconnected from a lobby and got put on a 30 min wait timer for ditching a game... I actually appreciate this.

Manbig

I went from having a ton of fun with this game to wanting to quit it forever. Seriously it's a match where I either get two teammates that go 1/10 or a match where two people don't even connect for the whole game damn game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Loving the game so far...

Is it just me, or are there balance issues? I can recall some characters jumping at least 5-6 levels very early in the game and getting unstoppable.

Also, I accidentally got disconnected from a lobby and got put on a 30 min wait timer for ditching a game... I actually appreciate this.

no one levels any faster then anyone else but if you are laning with another person you split the exp and gold from the minions you kill so if its you and another person against 1 enemy that enemy is going to be getting more gold and exp then you but you can change that by constantly going into the jungle and killing a couple minion camps every now and then to even out

This happens in all MOBA games. If someone gets some kills and a lot of early farm, they will be able to snowball ahead and wreck everyone. It's your team's job to make sure that doesn't happen. The main way to keep someone from snowballing is to group up and gank them, since getting killed really slows down your progress.

I went from having a ton of fun with this game to wanting to quit it forever. Seriously it's a match where I either get two teammates that go 1/10 or a match where two people don't even connect for the whole game damn game.

Take a break from Smite man. I've done it many times. It sounds like you've overindulged. The best way to blow off steam is to play a single player game.

Manbig

This happens in all MOBA games. If someone gets some kills and a lot of early farm, they will be able to snowball ahead and wreck everyone. It's your team's job to make sure that doesn't happen. The main way to keep someone from snowballing is to group up and gank them, since getting killed really slows down your progress.

Take a break from Smite man. I've done it many times. It sounds like you've overindulged. The best way to blow off steam is to play a single player game.

Oh, that was mostly hyperbole on my part. I was very annoyed, but not like angry enough to throw a table or something. It's just amazing how you can go 10 - 20 games in a row of just terrible situation after terrible situation. Even when I skip one or two countdown cycles, I still end up in some sort of insanely mismatched team.

OsirisBlack

Banned
no one levels any faster then anyone else but if you are laning with another person you split the exp and gold from the minions you kill so if its you and another person against 1 enemy that enemy is going to be getting more gold and exp then you but you can change that by constantly going into the jungle and killing a couple minion camps every now and then to even out

I have noticed teams doing this often but laners killing jungle minions can really slow your junglers leveling progress. It's probably best to let the jungler know and assist when youre killing jungle camps so your team isnt level 9 and the jungler is level 6 i have seen it happen far to often.

I am completely addicted to this game .... entirely to much fun.

In fact, it's one of the core points of MOBA. The feeling of danger, of being in the edge, because you know that for every bad play that ends in you or your mate being killed, you are actually feeding and making the enemy more powerful. You know that can get to a snowball point, so it's really important to not risk your life. But even knowing that, you have to do it to make plays and recover.

From what's worth, some months ago they changed a bit the xp gained from kills, and now it's actually harder to snowball.

-----

So this happened.

Assault.
I'm Scylla. First time playing her.
http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=57087664

20/3/19. !!
I would add something like "I have the weirdest boner right now" but she being the loli god is kind of inappropriate :p

In other news. PC Gamer gives Smite a 86.
So it's better than Dota 2. :p

demolitio

I'm just starting out and would love to play with anyone who is looking for an apprentice. I'm usually really good at most MP games but I'm new to the MOBA genre and have been getting my ass kicked so far...lol

Username is demolitio4 on there I believe.

Oh, that was mostly hyperbole on my part. I was very annoyed, but not like angry enough to throw a table or something. It's just amazing how you can go 10 - 20 games in a row of just terrible situation after terrible situation. Even when I skip one or two countdown cycles, I still end up in some sort of insanely mismatched team.

As long as you aren't one of those ragers who takes all of his frustration out on his teammates. :p This morning I kept getting matched up with this guy and all he did was whine about his teammates. I get it, I wasn't playing very well and neither were most of our teammates, but what's the point of bitching about it all game? I dunno about you guys but I play to have fun. If I was die-hard about winning I'd play ranked. -_-

So this happened.

Assault.
I'm Scylla. First time playing her.
http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=57087664

20/3/19. !!
I would add something like "I have the weirdest boner right now" but she being the loli god is kind of inappropriate :p

Jesus Christ lol. That poor Mercury. I played against a Merc this morning and damn son I forgot how much damage he can do. He was absolutely curb stomping me as Ullr in the early/mid game, but then late game came and before he could close the gap on me I was critting him down. I love turning the tables on people.

Then I played Zeus and had the worst game I've had in a long time. The enemy Bastet was just eating me alive, I couldn't do shit against her.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
merc early game with speed buff and level 2 or 3 sprint will fuck your day up pop sprint pop your 2 then go ham on people theyll die fast

merc early game with speed buff and level 2 or 3 sprint will fuck your day up pop sprint pop your 2 then go ham on people theyll die fast

Yeah he's the only assassin that I'm still considering for purchase, because I see him do pretty well in Arena. I don't own Merc, Fenrir, or Thanatos. I tried Thanatos while he was free but I didn't like him. His skillshot is hard to land and he is so goddamn squishy I was getting blown up too fast. I've actually never played Fenrir... I always thought of him as more of a bruiser but I see Hi-Rez put him in the assassin category. His ult is great for Arena so maybe I should try him out.

Also: Network upgrade today, Khumbha patch tomorrow.

Manbig

As long as you aren't one of those ragers who takes all of his frustration out on his teammates. :p This morning I kept getting matched up with this guy and all he did was whine about his teammates. I get it, I wasn't playing very well and neither were most of our teammates, but what's the point of bitching about it all game? I dunno about you guys but I play to have fun. If I was die-hard about winning I'd play ranked. -_-

Jesus Christ lol. That poor Mercury. I played against a Merc this morning and damn son I forgot how much damage he can do. He was absolutely curb stomping me as Ullr in the early/mid game, but then late game came and before he could close the gap on me I was critting him down. I love turning the tables on people.

Then I played Zeus and had the worst game I've had in a long time. The enemy Bastet was just eating me alive, I couldn't do shit against her.

I don't call out people for simply playing bad, but I do have my limits. For example, I just participated in this match:

http://account.hirezstudios.com/smitegame/match-details.aspx?match=57671866

The Thanatos that fed 17 deaths was bitching for pretty much the second half of the game about Ullr's stun. I tell him that he should buy beads. Then he complains about beads having a long cooldown. I tell him that the cooldown is not that bad at max level. Then he says that 90s is still a long cooldown. I tell him that he should use better positioning and stop diving 1v5. Then he calls me out for playing as Bastet. I told him if I were playing as Thanatos I would still be doing much better than he was. Then he starts whining about the team not picking a tank. The enemy team's "tank" was Herc and he barely built tanky. I also bought the anti healing item just to counter his 3. In the post game chat, even the enemy team was agreeing and telling him that he was just being a baby, this guy just couldn't accept any blame for playing poorly. It was everything else and not him.

THAT example pretty much goes beyond my patience limit.

My other giant pet peeve is when I try to share some advice mid match on what people should do.

"Hey Dragon. You have half HP and almost no mana and we're fighting against Loki/Nemesis/Bastet/Thanatos. You should probably go back to heal."

"Hey guys, we're fighting versus Ares. You should all probably buy beads unless you have a skill that can nullify the pull."

"Hey guys. We almost killed that person, but he/she got away. Please don't chase them all the way to their base."

"Hey guys, we had a pretty good push there, but don't hang around afterwards when all of our stuff is on cooldown and we're not at full strength so they can maul us when they all respawn."

And people either react with vitriol, or just completely ignore you and keep doing the same thing. I get that there's a negative stigma on the communities for this style of game, but I feel like people when hear that it lead a big chunk of people that automatically ignore the chat, or assume that every bit of criticism about the way that they are playing is someone trying to be an asshole.

Communication is simply one of the key things in this game. If you're gonna ignore any advice or take all criticism as a personal insult, then this genre is not for you. Simple as that really.

The first Arena games with Kumbhakarna has been a bit... eh. Maybe I need to play him more to "click" for me, but in the other hand I liked Geb since the first game. He lack mobility, he is a bit less tanky that other tanks (or at least I could survive more with Geb, Bacchus, Sobek or Ymir), his ult is avoidable if you have good reflexes and isn't used basically on top of someone, and his passive 95% of the times won't activate.

I can see his CC repertoire being useful to save allies and to setup plays here and there in the mid game in Conquest, but the lack of mobility will be a problem, and he won't be picked in competitive because of that.

Manbig

The first Arena games with Kumbhakarna has been a bit... eh. Maybe I need to play him more to "click" for me, but in the other hand I liked Geb since the first game. He lack mobility, he is a bit less tanky that other tanks (or at least I could survive more with Geb, Bacchus, Sobek or Ymir), his ult is avoidable if you have good reflexes and isn't used basically on top of someone, and his passive 95% of the times won't activate.

I can see his CC repertoire being useful to save allies and to setup plays here and there in the mid game in Conquest, but the lack of mobility will be a problem, and he won't be picked in competitive because of that.

I agree. He has a fun looking skillset, but his only real strength is his peeling. Even then though, his peeling isn't as good as some of the other tanks (Baccus, Athena). On top of that, his damage is very low, his mobility is very low, his damage scaling is awful, and his skills don't boost his survivability at all. I kind of wish they at least tied some protection boost to his passive that also goes up every 5 levels.

Downloading the new update now. [VEW] Woohoo!

And yeah, I'm not speding Favor on the new god. I don't really like playing guardians anyway.

I agree. He has a fun looking skillset, but his only real strength is his peeling. Even then though, his peeling isn't as good as some of the other tanks (Baccus, Athena). On top of that, his damage is very low, his mobility is very low, his damage scaling is awful, and his skills don't boost his survivability at all. I kind of wish they at least tied some protection boost to his passive that also goes up every 5 levels.

I'm seeing Zap play him, and of course with a mate with mic it's another world. He is using the mesmerize, the root or the Ult to setup easy kills for an Anhur in lane (pillar + pin to pillar + Anhur ult). If he starts with the mes, he follows with the Ult, or vice-versa.

Manbig

I'm seeing Zap play him, and of course with a mate with mic it's another world. He is using the mesmerize, the root or the Ult to setup easy kills for an Anhur in lane (pillar + pin to pillar + Anhur ult). If he starts with the mes, he follows with the Ult, or vice-versa.

I only really look at it from an Arena perspective. No doubt he seems alright in highly coordinated situations in Conquest. His 1 also probably helps him hold a lane fairly well. I still think that just about every other tank can set up that stuff and still do damage and have better mobility.

He's probably viable, but as of right now at least, it doesn't seem like he holds up with the rest of the tanks.

Manbig

The matchmaking in this game has hit a new low for me. It has been putting me in matches vs 4 man premades constantly lately. This never happened like this in LoL. Is this how they intended for matchmaking to work? To put a team full of randoms vs 4 man premades?

The matchmaking in this game has hit a new low for me. It has been putting me in matches vs 4 man premades constantly lately. This never happened like this in LoL. Is this how they intended for matchmaking to work? To put a team full of randoms vs 4 man premades?

I don't think 4 man premades are a thing? Are they?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've got five unlock codes for Kumbhakarna that will also unlock his alternate skin, Rip Van Kumbha, thanks to Hi-Rez (they are so nice to us at AusGamers <3). These are first come first serve so best of luck (had to wrap spoilers to hopefully stop bots).

KRAA9CD071BB5C442

KRAB49A078404C44B

KRABC84BC801A3465

KRABFA3C8016E74AC

KRAC1B2DEF72C6465

I've got five unlock codes for Kumbhakarna that will also unlock his alternate skin, Rip Van Kumbha, thanks to Hi-Rez (they are so nice to us at AusGamers <3). These are first come first serve so best of luck (had to wrap spoilers to hopefully stop bots).

Took the fourth one, thanks!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there a gaf guild/clan thingy or anything I can join? Starting to play the game more often and starting to learn the ropes more seriously. I'd love to get some games in with people :D

Foofaraw

I just started playing and I've been having a lot of fun, but I'd like to have some people to play with.

Foofaraw in game.

MightyKAC

Just made Lv.9 and having fun so far. But I REALLY hope Clan GAF can become a thing for this game. Getting a solid team that I constantly play with and learn from would REALLY make this game for me.

Just made Lv.9 and having fun so far. But I REALLY hope Clan GAF can become a thing for this game. Getting a solid team that I constantly play with and learn from would REALLY make this game for me.

Yea, I'm hoping more people get into this game and start playing. It gets tough to deal with randoms.

The clan at this point is just very... cozy...

Manbig

Thanks for the invite! I have a friend that I usually duo with that would like to join the clan if you'll have him. He's doesn't have a GAF account though (he's been trying for nearly two years now).

Spoils of the tourney:

Hirezerez: new league system coming out in the next month, no 10 wins, no reset
Hirezerez: Lots of stuff coming over the next 30 days, new mode, league changes, matchmaking, gods, and more
Hirezerez: I'm a big fan of the new mode, it plays somewhere between conquest and arena
Hirezerez: it's 2 lanes with siege towers to help you push
Hirezerez: Aztec map for siege mode
Hirezerez: New god loses body part
Hirezerez: Osiris sounds like a good god to play

The Dig - Cog last game was crazy. tickets ending in 0-1!!!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Apart from Twitter and Facebook is there any other free shit new players can get?

Anyone mess with the Twitch functionality? I tried it the other day and everything seemed to work except that my stream was just showing black. It didn't archive it (even though that's checked) so I assume nothing was actually coming through. This is the first time I've tried streaming so I have no clue what I'm doing really. I'm surprised there isn't a thread about it.

I played Fenrir for the first time. He's pretty fun. That ult is basically a free kill for the team in Arena. Deciding between him and Freya for my next god purchase.

Top Bottom