• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed Most Wanted U |OT| Burned out, Upshift

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
How does it affect the lock-ups if you have no internet connection?

The connection was off here one day, and Your Shape didn't lock up that time. Hard to say if it's just coincidence. I submitted a ticket with Ubisoft in point of fact and even got a response. They claim they're trying to reproduce the locks to see if this actually is the problem.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So I finally bested the Venom Most Wanted car, and I pressed the home button to brag about it on Miiverse.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Major mistake.
That's how my first play session with the game ended last night. I had 4 hours of a blast, though, before pressing that home button to quit. Great game through and through. I'll be eagerly waiting for that (nintendo) patch that stabilizes the network IO (more on that below).

I think the hardlocks only affect full miiverse support titles, the only other game that locks up on me is Nintendo Land.
Likewise - only games I've ever had locking the system are NL and NFS, both with extensive online interactions. And then we have reports of BitTrip Runner2 behaving similarly to NFS. It's very unlikely developers were aware of the issue on the devkits and did nothing to address it. BTW, this is the second time we hear of a problematic divergence between how the devkits and retail units behave. The first one was the gamma in Trine2 - devs said their original gamma setup was fine on the devkits.

HeySeuss

I was haply to see this show up on Wara Wara plaza yesterday. Anybody know how they rank the top 10?

Trying to figure out if its by active community posts, community posters verified with the game, or just recent activity.

Great game. I'll add some more people later tomorrow and feel free to add me as well.

Nnid: HeySeuss

I was haply to see this show up on Wara Wara plaza yesterday. Anybody know how they rank the top 10?

Trying to figure out if its by active community posts, community posters verified with the game, or just recent activity.

Great game. I'll add some more people later tomorrow and feel free to add me as well.

Nnid: HeySeuss

Can't be verified players as the zelda and luigi communnities have been up

2 hard locks within my first hour of play.

One when playing my first online race, the other when setting the first most wanted race as my destination. Playing on GamePad only mode, through a wall if that matters. I may have touched the home button earlier in the play session but i wasn't pressing when it froze.

I hope this is addressed quickly, £45 for the digi version was a lot of cash to spend so I could play the game without getting out of bed.

Tab0203

I didn't notice it at first, but the game seems to run at a weird resolution (1280x704?). There are tiny black bars (8 pixel?) at the top and bottom of the screen. Here are a few screenshots taken with my elegato game capture HD.

The game looks pretty good most of the time.

Anyone who has played another console version extensively care to comment on the visual difference? Annoyingly, it's no longer possible to download thebPS3 / 360 demo.

Anyone who has played another console version extensively care to comment on the visual difference? Annoyingly, it's no longer possible to download thebPS3 / 360 demo.

I own the game for 360 and PS3, and have put many hours into both.

The U version has better textures and better motion blur when using boost. Other than that the differences aren't noticeable to me. The framerate is solid most of the time, but there are moments where it drops during really intense action. The same thing happens on the other two platforms, but I'd say overall the U version holds up slightly better.

Overall I'd say the U version is the definitive console version with three caveats. The game does have an issue with hard locking freezes. Hopefully this is addressed soon with an update. Some people get them more than others. I've only experienced it once in about 4 hours of play. The online play is the second concern. It's 4 players in a game on the U, and 6 on the 360/PS3. Lastly, the U version will likely never get the additional DLC that has already been released for the other console versions.

dwu8991

Banned
I own the game for 360 and PS3, and have put many hours into both.

The U version has better textures and better motion blur when using boost. Other than that the differences aren't noticeable to me. The framerate is solid most of the time, but there are moments where it drops during really intense action. The same thing happens on the other two platforms, but I'd say overall the U does suffer these instances slightly less often.

Overall I'd say the U version is the definitive console version with two caveats. The game does have an issue with hard locking freezes. Hopefully this is addressed soon with an update. Some people get it more than others. I've only experienced it once in about 4 hours of play. The online play is the second concern. It's 4 players in a game on the U, and 6 on the 360/PS3.

Why on earth would you want 3 versions of the same game ?

mf luder

I read on gamefaqs that pressing the home button while in off tv mode could be part of the problem so switch back to tv beforehand.

JoeM86

indeed. what's keeping them?
hardlocks

Probably the fact that it runs better than the other versions so they can't slate it :p

Seriously though, I'm having great fun on this game. Spent a few hours online last night, no lag and only a couple of disconnections due to my friend's poor internet.

tassletine

I had a similar issue. Not even the indie was carrying MH or NFS, and Argos are only selling them online, and Tesco, Asda et al remain completely unaware of the console's existence; the games will doubtless "bomb" but it's impossible to say whether they really have, given how elusive they are.

Given that the majority of supermarkets - especially if you live outside of a major metropolitan area - have never stocked Wii U at all, Nintendo are going to need to put together a pretty tempting package for retailers.

I would say this a major problem for Nintendo. At Christmas I found it almost impossible to get COD, especially since it wasn't available on eshop -- And that's ridiculous.
Nintendo have a world wide secrecy policy which does not jibe with UK culture, who generally do business down the pub. We're not litigious and don't really care about secrecy to the extent other parts of the world do.

Nice screens. About time somebody with a decent capture setup rolled around.

Really starting to wonder where the reviews and DF analysis are at.

Nice screens. About time somebody with a decent capture setup rolled around.

Really starting to wonder where the reviews and DF analysis are at.

If you follow Digital Foundry you'd know they don't always throw their Face-off articles up the day after the game comes out. Often times it's days later, and sometimes even a week.

Mileena

Banned
So did they fix their online and make it so you can race? I don't mean 2/5 events on the list are races either, I mean a racing game being a racing game. If they did I'll pick this up for $15 or 20

DF may take some time, they cant just use the copy&pasted slagging off they did for all the launch ports

Or, you know, they could just ignore the fact that the game exists, since all random home menu hard locks aside it's one of the very best Wii U games and arguably the best version overall.

DF may take some time, they cant just use the copy&pasted slagging off they did for all the launch ports

Or, you know, they could just ignore the fact that the game exists, since all random home menu hard locks aside it's one of the very best Wii U games and arguably the best version overall.

Holy shit. You guys will not shut up with your conspiracy theory whining about The Digital Foundry hating the Wii U. Seriously, we get it. If you really think they're so bias and awful make a thread about it. I'd love to see your "evidence".

Holy shit. You guys will just not shut up with your conspiracy theory whining about The Digital Foundry hating the Wii U. Seriously, we get it. If you really think they're so bias and awful make a thread about it. I'd love to see your "evidence".

it was a joke, mainly at the expense of the quality of the launch ports

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo needs to sort out the problem with hard locks. The Runner 2 devs mentioned it was a problem that wasn't showing up in the dev kit, and I'm guessing that's happening with Need for Speed as well.

pixlexic

Banned
Nintendo needs to sort out the problem with hard locks. The Runner 2 devs mentioned it was a problem that wasn't showing up in the dev kit, and I'm guessing that's happening with Need for Speed as well.

The best guess is it has something to to do with the miiverse.

I hardly ever hit home to post on miiverse during a game and I never have hard locls.

Frodo

Played a few hours yesterday, and so far looks like one of the best Need for Speed I've ever played. Loving it so far. Loads of nice cars, not much hassle to get to them. Games looks and feels nice.

Don't want to jinx it, but no hardlocks so far. Played online and all and posted on Miiverse from the game as well.

Hoping they (Nintendo, Criterion, whoever is responsible) can have the hard locks patched out before I get a chance to play the game in a couple months.

I just compiled this list of everyone who has posted their NNID's in this thread:

Dead_Man_Typing
RipVanWinkle
KitschyKitty
BruiserBear
burgerdog
crmegabyte
4scarr
TheMainEvent
jodyanthony
frankie_baby
HeySeuss
Spiderduff
zaragoza
HyruleLegend
FrakEarth
puntervold
plufim
andthebeatgoeson
gamer1984
ReconPeon

I probably wont race online with people, but I need scores to attack.

Edit: Removed a name I'm not sure of and added ReconPeon. If anyone wants to add to this list, copy and paste and add your name.

savor100

Played this at a friend's and it looks great. My brother bought it from the Origin sale but it hasn't arrived yet but this is definitely better looking than my PS3 version

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I won't race online (crappy satellite connection), but I do need people with 800k or greater Most Wanted scores to motivate me to raise my own score! Outside of Smiles, my friend's list seems to be slacking :p

NNID: Skiesofwonder

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Played around 5 hours until now and no hardlock yet. I even hit the home button to go to the eshop. I experienced 5 hardlocks since November until now: 2 in Wii mode and 3 in NBA 2k13 when closing software from the main screen, but no one since the stability patch. Let's see how this goes.

As for the game I really enjoy it and it looks great. Best looking Wii U game until now, from my point of view. I haven't played online yet, but my NNID is kingsssnake.

Weng

Did you press the home button? Oddly enough all three of my hardlocks happened as soon as I hit the button.

Wouldn't opening a Wii U hardlock thread make sense? (I would if I could) There every Wii U owner could post what he did in which game/application right before the hardlock happend. Maybe some of the causes are the same and can be avoided by knowing what not to do.

I didn't notice it at first, but the game seems to run at a weird resolution (1280x704?). There are tiny black bars (8 pixel?) at the top and bottom of the screen. Here are a few screenshots taken with my elegato game capture HD.
...so much for definitive version visually. willing to bet that most of what they said was PR bullshit and that the only real improvements are the textures (thanks to the extra RAM).

I just compiled this list of everyone who has posted their NNID's in this thread:

Dead_Man_Typing
RipVanWinkle
KitschyKitty
BruiserBear
burgerdog
crmegabyte
4scarr
TheMainEvent
jodyanthony
frankie_baby
HeySeuss
Spiderduff
zaragoza
HyruleLegend
FrakEarth
puntervold
plufim
andthebeatgoeson
gamer1984
ReconPeon

I probably wont race online with people, but I need scores to attack.

Edit: Removed a name I'm not sure of and added ReconPeon. If anyone wants to add to this list, copy and paste and add your name.
If you could add my name to the list, I'd appreciate it: ElectricKaibutsu.

Top Bottom