• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Bezos wants to end standard raises and gut severance at the Washington Post

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
image.php

Oh shit great counterpoint Washington Post employees are losers...

Fuck Bezos. Eat 'em all when we run out of cake.

spwolf

Since taking over, the fortunes of the WP have improved dramatically. Sales and revenue are up, readership, content output, investments in their tech and processes, even numbers of reporters has increased which is pretty much unheard of in this day and age. I dunno if this change will actually result in people getting paid more or less, but I do know that this team clearly knows how to run a newspaper. I'm sure there are lots of people here on GAF who are also very good at running newspapers, so I guess we'll have to just wait and see who is right.

oh noes, they should have let it run to the ground and nobody would complain? I guess so.

Obviously system works.

1% on the 401k?

You tried.

Not even doing inflation-based raises is actively giving your employees a pay cut.

There are only 740 writers at the entire company. Assuming they all made a median 100k before taxes (lol), a 2% raise this year would be <$2 million dollars for the company.

If you don't want to be in the business of supporting the news, sell the damn company.

Since taking over, the fortunes of the WP have improved dramatically. Sales and revenue are up, readership, content output, investments in their tech and processes, even numbers of reporters has increased which is pretty much unheard of in this day and age. I dunno if this change will actually result in people getting paid more or less, but I do know that this team clearly knows how to run a newspaper. I'm sure there are lots of people here on GAF who are also very good at running newspapers, so I guess we'll have to just wait and see who is right.

Are you actually arguing that gutting a 401k is improving work efficiency?

https://ilsr.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ILSR_AmazonReport_final.pdf

I'll just leave that there. I read all 79 pages of it, it's absolutely disgusting what Amazon is doing to the economy, local communities, brick and mortar retailers, and most importantly how they abuse the employer/employee relationship.

There was a thread about that report not too long ago, sadly it only went a couple of pages then dropped from existence on NeoGAF.

Damn man this report is crazy

PBY

Banned
Silicon Valley mindset is a fucking disease.

The search for capitalistic "merit" and efficiency, as applied to humans, doesn't fucking work.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
401k match at 1% lol that is fucking awful

finding a company that has even decent matching is like finding a unicorn.

i can't tell you how many companies ive been at where they're like "we match 50 cents for every dollar up to 3% or we match half of the first 6%"

The search for capitalistic "merit" and efficiency, as applied to humans, doesn't fucking work.
It works great at its goal, which is increasing the power and wealth of the capitalists at the expense of working people.

JoeBoy101

Kind of like the Netflix model where employees are not a family but a professional team. Sounds great on PowerPoint presentation but completely sucks for stability and long term security. Might as well make all your employees freelancers or temps.

More and more companies are adopting the mentality of seeing employees as all short term workers so they can avoid raises, promotions, and training costs. But even more so, they think it protects them as nobody gains any institutional intelligence making them more difficult to replace.

The dumbfuck flip side of that is nobody gains any institutional intelligence, so if there is a procedural roadblock, everybody hits it. When communication lines get crossed, nobody knows who to contact. It creates islands of working groups who do not collaborate (why should they?) who have no buy-in or investment to the company they work for. Why should they, as the company only wants them there 1-3 years?

Pastry

Banned
finding a company that has even decent matching is like finding a unicorn.

i can't tell you how many companies ive been at where they're like "we match 50 cents for every dollar up to 3% or we match half of the first 6%"

Yeah I get 4% so I am fortunate, but 1% is pretty awful for an organization as prestigious as WP.

Apt101

A meritocracy- for journalists? Yea, that wouldn't end poorly.

I have a sub to NY Times digital and would read articles to WaPo when they'd let me (the most aggressive pay wall news site), was thinking about doubling up since WaPo seems cheap, but now i'm just going to go ahead and blackhole the domain. It's going to shit with a person like Bezos running it. I can no longer trust that they'll maintain integrity.

ISOM

But that fast delivery though....

I remember that thread where someone said they want Amazon to own everything so that their lives can be super easy. Well this is what part of it would look like for everyone else.

TylerD

Yeah I get 4% so I am fortunate, but 1% is pretty awful for an organization as prestigious as WP.

Woohoo 4% club. I have a Project Manager former co-worker that works at one of the big energy companies in Oklahoma City. 15% match!

Ahahahahaha.

And yet that's better than what most employees get offered. How fucking sad is that?

I know people out of college, that have bare bones medical and have to figure out their own retirement plans because their company offers none.

WE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY TO BE PAID BY OUR GENEROUS CORPORATE OWNERS.

Damn man this report is crazy

It needs to be talked about a LOT more, but unfortunately it won't be. We'd rather talk about tweets here..

They are literally skirting laws to abuse the employee/employer relationship. They are single-handedly destroying local communities -- all while taking subsidies and tax benefits to build their dungeons in those same communities and hiring those workers that lost their jobs in those same communities (not directly hiring, but abusing temp agencies)...at lower wages, less benefits, and low job security.

PBY

Banned
It needs to be talked about a LOT more, but unfortunately it won't be. We'd rather talk about tweets here..

They are literally skirting laws to abuse the employee/employer relationship. They are single-handedly destroying local communities -- all while taking subsidies and tax benefits to build their dungeons in those same communities and hiring those workers that lost their jobs in those same communities (not directly hiring, but abusing temp agencies)...at lower wages, less benefits, and low job security.

this is the shit that is insidious, because liberal "allies" are so fucking BLIND to it.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/25/de-blasio-wants-amazon-hq-in-nyc-but-prefers-shopping-in-stores/

LIKE COME ON.

mike6467

This type of meritocracy, well most actually, are basically a self-perpetuating "fuck you, got mine" :|

JABEE

It's almost like this guy and his company are bad for the country.

But they're smart and "earned" their wealth the smart way

Just like Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Gates, and Ford.

They were better humans who deserved better lives.

Unions and the common man be damned.

Let their capitalistic aims go unchecked for they are righteous, idyl American monopolists with Lincoln-esque origin myths.

tbm24

Sure sounds nice to get an across the board annual raise. This is the 3rd year in a row I’m told there’s a raise freeze..............as I watch them burn stupid amounts of money on things I don’t think add to the bottom line....

If this goes through I feel for them, it sucks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's telling that Amazon's Store and customer service almost immediately turned to shit as soon as they started diversifying their business like crazy. Another company that gets so big that their original business starts running poorly. I don't really need to take a stand against ordering from Amazon, since for the most part I hardly use them anymore for stuff like Video Games. Their warehouses jobs have to be the worst part of the company though. Besides not being regarded as real employees of Amazon, the jobs operate like a neoserfdom that would inevitably break down the body of the worker with no healthcare to fall back on later. Amazon skirted taxes that should have gone to the welfare of the public.

JABEE

All these tech people want to undercut workers .

Tech companies do American workers a favor by sending jobs overseas to be performed at near slave wages.

Globalism is a capitalist wonderland for tech.

The press image of Silicon Valley leadership paints them as genius wonder kin who are just super-smart and logical, not cold, heartless bastards. They are smarter than us all and it's nothing personal, it's the way the system is supposed to work.

And they donate a portion of what little taxable income they have to various causes of their choice, because public service is about the whims of billionaires.

Sick dogs are more important than homeless people and it's "his money" to do with it what he wants.

SyNapSe

yea, wtf is the point? It's like tipping 10 cents. Bigger middle finger than nothing at all.

It's a free 1% but yeah.. feels like ticking off a checkmark box. When applying candidates ask, "Yeah, we've got a 401k match"

I generally thought the idea of those match the first 3% then .5% for the next x % was to get people up around 10% minimum combined going into their retirement fund.

Top Bottom