• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update 2:

Mako Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzueBbcXqRk

---

Via tweets about the panel:
https://twitter.com/NerdAppropriate
https://twitter.com/andrearene/

I'm tried to put non-obvious details/newer stuff near the top of the list.

Details:
-The Mako is back, they showed video of it, and there are images of it below. It's apparently quite fast now.
-"Building a game about exploring places, so you need a vehicle for that "
-"We learned some things about vehicle frustration"
-They showed off armor renders, viewable below
-"Sounds like the timeline of #MassEffect will be during Shepard's lifetime but won't involve Shepard...hard to tell @GambleMike being cagey!" [Note: Two other tweeters said it sounds like it takes place in another galaxy, though that's not necessarily mutually exclusive with this.]
-"Team reiterates that it is not Shepard's story and that this story one is brand new."
-"no timeline was announced at the panel. Some hints were made but I have to re-listen to the audio."
-"You will see a bit of old with the new (old characters MAY appear) "
-"Competition is critical but cooperation is bigger for us" @GambleMike speaking on multiplayer in #MassEffect / "cooperative MP is bigger for us (than competitive)"
-"Spiritual successor" vibe for the next
-"It's ingrained in us to give players as much choice as possible" - @GambleMike #MassEffect
-"The animation team is now doing stuff we couldn't even dream about before" speaking on Frostbite 3 for #MassEffect
-"it's not called ME 4 damn it! " [I'm going to keep calling it that until they give it a name.]
-No announcements on player race choice of composers when asked
-The internet kept dying for the people livetweeting so there are more details that aren't here
-"I got video of the new #MassEffect Mako in action"

Update:

https://twitter.com/lizwrites/with_replies

-"Seems strongly implied that new Mass Effect will be set in totally different galaxy, but will contain familiar elements. #SDCC"
-"Not playing as Shepherd, and Shepherd is not important to story - new uncharted areas. #SDCC"
-"Mako is back in Mass Effect! More agile, no cannon. #SDCC"
-"New Mass Effect is focused on exploration of planets, Mako is meant to be fast travel on them. #SDCC"
-[Note]: Nerd Appropriate (one of the original tweeters) also said it sounded like another galaxy but they need to double check their audio recording.

Renders:

BtgKhjmCYAAzPHJ.jpg:large

BtgEnHWCYAAXoJh.jpg

BtgNPenCAAETPs4.jpg:large

BtgJTwRCMAE9Ga6.jpg:large

BtgBFRSCcAIpdcn.jpg:large

BtgAWKQCYAAfhLl.jpg

BtgEnHWCYAAXoJh.jpg

Neat, they're finally making a Mass Effect 2. That first one was great back in 2007, wonder why it took so long to make a sequel.

Plasma

Banned
I bet if this is a side story it's going to be some sort of alliance contingency plan where they've sent teams out to uncharted space off the books in case the reapers win.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope we get a definitive answer to the setting of the game. I'm gonna be royally pissed if it's set any time other than after ME3.

kingkitty

It might be a side story. Isn't that cool? I for one can't wait to fight the reaper threat, again.

Just kidding.

No side story, please.

Please.

Ashodin

From previous thread:

-"You will see a bit of old with the new (old characters MAY appear) "

Read: fan favorite fuckables favored for future fun

Also, queue Tumblr arguments over who should return and if their sexual preferences should change Just For You(tm)

Mass Effect 3's endings really screwed them
into a corner of how they'll continue the story didn't it XD

Ooh not called Mass Effect 4?

Mass Effect: Revelations/Origins/Etc =P

MAKO! Thank god. Everything that was kind of bad in ME1 got scrapped instead of improving and fixing it. This is the right course.

That part where they say old characters would appear just made me sigh, don't make this a Pre-Sequel.

Start everything new, put the trilogy in the rearview mirror and being this gen with a fresh new experience.

A-V-B

BtgEnHWCYAAXoJh.jpg

Neat, they're finally making a Mass Effect 2. That first one was great back in 2007, wonder why it took so long to make a sequel.

I wouldn't give them that much hype as of yet. Mako is very easy to show at this stage and mean basically nothing for the rest of the product.

-"The animation team is now doing stuff we couldn't even dream about before" speaking on Frostbite 3 for #MassEffect

aww yis

RoKKeR

Takes place during Shepherd's life but is a side story?

Meh. Game will probably be out Spring 2016 is my guess.

Tu101uk

But will it have ammo? Or will it be back to Heat (like in the first game, which I liked the most)?

Edit...

aww yis
So X-rated love scenes?

As long as I'm not forced to drive around to get anywhere and is just for extra dungeons and finding the "Log #43'' so you can get the obligatory achievement. I want to get right into the action.

GlamFM

Banned
So can we conclude that the first to showings (E3 and now this) went poorly?

Are Bioware scared of the monster they created? Side story? Really?

It might be a side story. Isn't that cool? I for one can't wait to fight the reaper threat, again.

Just kidding.

No side story, please.

Please.

Commander Hugh Mann is the best human in the Human Army. When he and the humans of Cerberus are called to fight The Reapers, he answers that call (of duty) and gets ready to save Earth (and the humans) from the ultimate galactic threat.

Featuring Liara and a joke about Garrus saying "calibrations"

Ashodin

I love how glib the title of the thread is with "Mass Effect (4)" even when they said it wasn't called that.

You go, Nirolak.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why in god's name would you set it during ME1-3? Nobody wants to revisit the shit they came up with for 2 and 3, this franchise needs a clean break. Either set it way before Shepherd or way after.

At least the exploration stuff sounds promising, although I will take it all with an enormous pinch of salt. Can't get fooled again.

Yeah, this being a sidestory to ME1-3 will make me avoid the game. If it's not, there's some optimism to be had.

I just want it to be as good as the first game, is that too much to ask?
The first game wasn't that great in terms of mechanics, but it did have a nice tone and driving around was nice when the maps weren't utter bullshit.

WillyFive

"During Shepard's lifetime" =/= "During the events of Mass Effect 1-3". He doesn't die in all the endings.

Mass Effect 3's endings really screwed them
into a corner of how they'll continue the story didn't it XD

Yeah, I wonder how they'll get around killing everyone in every Solar System in the galaxy due to blowing up all the Mass Relays.

Maybe they'll just forget that part.

MattyG

Banned
Guys, it's not a sequel because it's going to be a alternate timeline where Shep died in the beginning of 2 and a new hero takes over to kill the Reapers. Redooooooooooo. There will be like 4 different ending this time.

Daverid

QFT.

Hopefully they don't half-ass the exploration and perhaps if they're focusing on events that happen during Mass Effect then it won't be as focused on 'EPIC SHIT HAPPENING' and a more interesting small scale, contained story.

A-V-B

Why in god's name would you set it during ME1-3?

Because they have to deal with consequences of their ending if it's set afterwards, and they don't think they can handle that? Because it's basically impossible?

They might go more Walking Dead and completely forget about player-driven consequences, but...

-"Sounds like the timeline of #MassEffect will be during Shepard's lifetime but won't involve Shepard...hard to tell @GambleMike being cagey!"

Noooooo... We already played with the most important characters and did the most important stuff during Shepards lifetime so how can I get excited about the story if it involves minor events. Have this one take place thousands of years later.

From previous thread:

Read: fan favorite fuckables favored for future fun

Also, queue Tumblr arguments over who should return and if their sexual preferences should change Just For You(tm)

Could a pre-incarceration and pre-Shepard influence Jack appear as a boss? That would be cool

Guys, it's not a sequel because it's going to be a alternate timeline where Shep died in the beginning of 2 and a new hero takes over to kill the Reapers. Redooooooooooo. There will be like 4 different ending this time.

Alternate timeline you say, hm...

image.php

Seems you've got experience with that. Tell me more.

Bessy67

Will there be an ending for every color of the rainbow? I want my random energy blast to be indigo...

Ashodin

Why in god's name would you set it during ME1-3?

There's a contingent of players who would not buy the game if their SEXUALLY DESIRED CHARACTER wasn't in it.

Setting it during this timeframe would allow them to add people they think would be fan favorites, for that "nostalgia" feel of seeing them in a new game (and engine).

In reality? They probably can't make a game with entirely new assets/stories/lore in the same setting now because it would be a big undertaking. This is most likely a side project with Frostbite 3 to prove it can be done.

Commander Hugh Mann is the best human in the Human Army. When he and the humans of Cerberus are called to fight The Reapers, he answers that call (of duty) and gets ready to save Earth (and the humans) from the ultimate galactic threat.

Featuring Liara and a joke about Garrus saying "calibrations"

Featuring Troy Baker as the voice of Hugh Mann.

i-Lo

I am hoping that the story takes place "AFTER" the ME3. A parallel tale told would be disappointing since the story will have no place to truly grow, especially since, unlike say Star Trek, ME utilized the whole of milky way.

aww yis

So basically, we can have weapon holstering back,

Bessy67

Because they have to deal with consequences of their ending if it's set afterwards, and they don't think they can handle that? Because it's basically impossible?

They might go more Walking Dead and completely forget about player-driven consequences, but...
I would much rather they just arbitrarily chose one ending as canon though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"During Shepard's lifetime" =/= "During the events of Mass Effect 1-3". He doesn't die in all the endings.

Yeah, I wonder how they'll get around killing everyone in every Solar System in the galaxy due to blowing up all the Mass Relays.

I thought they attempted to hand-wave those explosions away as soon as ME3 came out?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

They ignored that or rather rectoned/changed that back in the extended cut.

eot

Banned
Noooooo... We already played with the most important characters and did the most important stuff during Shepards lifetime so how can I get excited about the story if it involves minor events. Have this one take place thousands of years later.

I don't think the story has to have super high stakes, in may cases that ends up being for the worse.

So basically, we can have weapon holstering back,

Fucking better have.
Also a proper run animation with your gun drawn because ME2/3 /o\

Top Bottom