• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

So what are the new abilities you get from completing the proper dungeons? EDGE review mentioned them.

A (more than likely fake) leak mentioned that you get "Breath of (Air/Wind/Fire/Water)" items from completing the dungeons, and that there's also an end game one called Breath of Renewal.

So what are the new abilities you get from completing the proper dungeons? EDGE review mentioned them.

We don't know yet. The EDGE review implied one of them had to do with controlling wind or doing something to the paraglider (the phrasing was something like "it makes traversal a breeze (literally)") and the others were possibly combat related powers? In IGN's most recent video (the 10 new things one) underneath the d-pad on the HUD at one point you could see an icon for the elephant beast with an "x1" next to it.

nwLJJIf.png
Badass

watershed

Banned
I want nothing more than to ride a deer in this game. I hope there is some hippie run stable or farm somewhere that will let me keep a deer. Nintendo must be aware of the Princess Mononoke comparison.

I want nothing more than to ride a deer in this game. I hope there is some hippie run stable or farm somewhere that will let me keep a deer. Nintendo must be aware of the Princess Mononoke comparison.

They better god damn be aware. A lot of the scenes we've seen look like princess Mononoke, even Link's outfit and haircut isn't too far off. Folks have been saying it reminds them of the film since like 2015.

Wait...I have ignored most media so far.

So this one is special? I had no hopes for Big N doing the open world thingy right but it seems like we have a hit right here!?

I'd be so fucking happy as an old fan. Please be great. The game *looks* like a dream come true. Quite Ghibli-esque.

mjp2417

Banned
Wait...I have ignored most media so far.

So this one is special? I had no hopes for Big N doing the open world thingy right but it seems like we have a hit right here!?

I'd be so fucking happy as an old fan. Please be great. The game *looks* like a dream come true. Quite Ghibli-esque.

The last launch game with this kind of buzz was Mario 64. Edge thinks this Zelda has finally dethroned Ocarina. Take that as you will.

NewGame

Banned
Any word on unbreakable/high durability weapons?

I don't know if this is exactly how it works, but some weapons have a normal base and then you can find the same weapon but it has a 'Durability Up' status added to it. Some of the players have talked about having weapons that were 'stronger than normal' and also mentioned that those Korok seeds have something to do with crafting/making weapons stronger.

Overall I think the system works like Dark Cloud, except a lot faster and a weapon breaking doesn't mean you lose 50 hours of gameplay.

EDIT: pics or didnt

CYtuaQ3.png

Video

Vashzaron

So.... Does that mean the Master Sword isn't indestructible and can be destroyed for good?

....Huh.

No idea but I would take a guess for the Master Sword it would have durability of something to the effect of "it breaks" but you can repair it, sort of like the "Giant's Knife" from Ocarina?

Huh, I noticed in a French video that two bridges had names of "Arfan" and "Aquilus." I wondered if that was the French localization for something familiar (since the Switch event demo had shown a Gleeok Bridge in English), and lo and behold, Arfan and Aquilus are the French localized names for Owlan and Eagus, two of the residents of Skyloft. That's a neat connection.

Caelus

Huh, I noticed in a French video that two bridges had names of "Arfan" and "Aquilus." I wondered if that was the French localization for something familiar (since the Switch event demo had shown a Gleeok Bridge in English), and lo and behold, Arfan and Owlan are the French localized names for Owlan and Eagus, two of the residents of Skyloft. That's a neat connection.

There's also a Sahasra Bridge and a Digdogg Bridge, so tons of locations named after past characters and bosses.

A timeline placement after AoL would allow them to reuse the OoT Sage names (Saria, Darunia, Nabooru) for towns and villages again, and also be far enough in the timeline to flesh out the world as much as they please.

OrochiJR

So, has the game already properly leaked, with people in the wild playing through? The impressions so far seem to be "just" gameplay stuff, but not huge story and game progression revelations like "you play only the first ~10 hours as Link, then he dies and Zelda takes over". Or the game is just the giant sandbox that it has been presented as and there is nothing to spoil in that sense, besides weapons, bosses etc.

Skeletos311

So do we have confirmation that this isn't the Hero of Time that we're playing as?

Aonuma says that this takes place in a Hyrule that has seen many attacks by Ganon and we know that Link has been dead for 100 years, so you'd have to fit a lot of Zelda games in 100 years if it was the same Link. That or there are some big retcons.

E-phonk

Banned
Afaik it's somewhere after ALTTP, since one if the towns is called after a wise man that only appears in ALTTP en ALBW (don't have the name with me, on mobile).
That would place it somewhere near the NES games which makes sense with how they have been making the connection to the original one.

Afaik it's somewhere after ALTTP, since one if the towns is called after a wise man that only appears in ALTTP en ALBW (don't have the name with me, on mobile).
That would place it somewhere near the NES games which makes sense with how they have been making the connection to the original one.

Sahasrahla

That would be my guess as well. Looks like they finally made a game that takes place after Zelda II
Could stil be after ALBW but before the original as well, I guess, but I think placing it after II makes more sense with Hyrule in ruins.

Seems likely that dungeon info leak was real, though I'm not keen on the names, elephants don't have hooves!
There's some pictures in the volcano area showing an elephant HUD icon in the top left, which might be some sort of gauge connected to entering the dungeon.

We don't know yet. The EDGE review implied one of them had to do with controlling wind or doing something to the paraglider (the phrasing was something like "it makes traversal a breeze (literally)") and the others were possibly combat related powers? In IGN's most recent video (the 10 new things one) underneath the d-pad on the HUD at one point you could see an icon for the elephant beast with an "x1" next to it.
Oh, yah, could be a power.
Roc's cape please!

PrimeBeef

Seems likely that dungeon info leak was real, though I'm not keen on the names, elephants don't have hooves!
There's some pictures in the volcano area showing an elephant HUD icon in the top left, which might be some sort of gauge connected to entering the dungeon.

Roc's cape please!
Not picking on you, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Hyrule is not Earth, so Hyrulian verison of elephants could have hooves. I mean elves, fish people, bird people, rock people, dog people, lizard people, and pig people don't exist.

havocau

Neo Member
omg omg omg... looked at the pastebin and did a search for minigame

so happy... I was envisioning to myself ages ago that it would be awesome if they do a mini game that uses the fact that you can freeze boulders and then fling em off really far and how you could tie that in thematically with something the gorons do for fun... basically golf with boulders that link can then join in with thanks to the tablet.

Well... in the above pastebin it has "MiniGame_SmashGolf_SetRetryPos" :D

There seems to be around 80 ish enemy movesets in the paste bin. It's definitely not as much as say Dark Souls or Witcher but the enemy designs seem very well considered and the scenario design that utilizes them seems incredibly varied so I think most will be accepting of this.

gafneo

Banned
Enemy_Ganon
Event_BossGanon
DispBossGaugeRate_Demo
Pa_BossGauge_Ganon
InBeastGanonVoiceSequence
GanonBeastVoiceSequenceCount
GanonBeastWeakPointXLinkHandle
GanonSpearForThrowing
GanonBeam
GanonIceBullet
GanonFlameBall
GanonThunder
GanonNormalArrow

Seems like the pig form only from the data files. Hoping no human form this time since we retro fans got ripped off by only playing dorf as human in Smash.

bachikarn

Enemy_Ganon
Event_BossGanon
DispBossGaugeRate_Demo
Pa_BossGauge_Ganon

Seems like the pig form only from the data files. Hoping no human form this time since we retro fans got ripped off by only playing dorf as human in Smash.

There are references to Ganondorf tho

Sane_Man

omg omg omg... looked at the pastebin and did a search for minigame

so happy... I was envisioning to myself ages ago that it would be awesome if they do a mini game that uses the fact that you can freeze boulders and then fling em off really far and how you could tie that in thematically with something the gorons do for fun... basically golf with boulders that link can then join in with thanks to the tablet.

Well... in the above pastebin it has "MiniGame_SmashGolf_SetRetryPos" :D

Omggg, plus bowling and shield surfing!! Plus horse riding stuff. I can't contain the hype.

Only reference to fishing I could find is TwnObj_Village_FishingFireTorchOff_A_01

Tall4Life

There's stuff regarding Zora in that pastebin, so Link is Dead timeline basically confirmed? To my knowledge all the Zora evolved in the adult timeline

ckaneo

Roc's cape please!

link

Top Bottom