• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Legacy's "Big Return" Revealed

Some Nobody

Hickman is the big return I want.

Nah. Hickman going to DC.

Nah, time for him to get Justice League.

But not to JL. That's my man Priest. Hope he kills it. Hickman has to do Legion of Super-Heroes.

More importantly...

Fuck all this other noise, I want mutant Che Guevara back.

Cyclops was RIGHT.

I low-key wish Cyke wasn't so lily-white. If he hadn't been I feel like Marvel would've never tried to kill him. With Mutants being an allegory for downtrodden minorities, Scott turned into a fuckin' revolutionary for his people. You GOTTA respect that shit. Fuck Logan. Fuck Jean. Get my boy Scott back on the playing field, and get his boring as fuck teenage self tf out.

Ross61

But he's already told the final Reed/Doom story. Practically anything else is just burning fumes at this point. It's why the only logical way forward with Doom was to turn him into someone else. It would be like Neil Gaiman returning to Sandman, what would be the point?
You must have not read Sandman Overture.

So.... Marvel spend 2 whole years trying and failing to turn Cyclops into a villain. Scott ends up more popular then ever. Then they write an entire shitty event around his death. Only to have Cyclops die the most meaningless deaths possible off screen. And then Marvel continues the Cyclops character assassination after he long dead. (FUCK YOU MARVEL)

Now marvel is planning to bring Cyclops Ex-wife and the Man who tried for years to sleep with her back. Oh yeah Marvel it is your diversity push that causing your decline in sales. Not the constant shitty events or whiplash inducing about-face to the status quo.

I can't wait for the double page spread of Wolverine and Jean fucking on Cyclops grave. Opps... I forgot. They didn't even bother to bury Scott at the X-mansion.

Conan-san

Marvel bablefish’d themselves.

Doing this proves thier incompetence exists and therefore they don’t: QED

I mean why not bring back the marriage if they’re that hard up on crashing.

Or, I dunno, getting HR to have an interview sans coffee with certain individuals who seem to think the condoning batting people in the teeth and being biligerant online (yes, slott, your power fantasy of SPOCK far outweighs ours of a working marriage, please give it a rest) is going to keep sales going.

Could do with slaping thier editorial upside the head for letting slip the /co/ letter in America and the typo minefield too.

Some Nobody

Marvel bablefish’d themselves.

Doing this proves thier incompetence exists and therefore they don’t: QED

I mean why not bring back the marriage if they’re that hard up on crashing.

Or, I dunno, getting HR to have an interview sans coffee with certain individuals who seem to think the condoning batting people in the teeth and being biligerant online (yes, slott, your power fantasy of SPOCK far outweighs ours of a working marriage, please give it a rest) is going to keep sales going.

Could do with slaping thier editorial upside the head for letting slip the /co/ letter in America and the typo minefield too.

Brand New Day was nearly a decade ago. They publish a title based on the marriage now. Time to let it go, fam.

Apdiddy

Spoiler alert,
one of them is already back and not a teenager.

PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER

Wait what?

How are they able to explain Professor X's brain being used on Red Skull? Why can't Marvel just be satisfied with a change in the status quo? To me, I don't mind Professor X being dead, Wolverine still being dead, X-23 being Wolverine, Bruce Banner being dead and Cho being Hulk, Sam Wilson being Captain America, Jane Foster being Thor, Tony Stark not being Iron Man and Cyclops still being dead because things have to change.

Marvel just sees sales numbers and panic.

Some Nobody

Wait what?

How are they able to explain Professor X's brain being used on Red Skull? Why can't Marvel just be satisfied with a change in the status quo? To me, I don't mind Professor X being dead, Wolverine still being dead, X-23 being Wolverine, Bruce Banner being dead and Cho being Hulk, Sam Wilson being Captain America, Jane Foster being Thor, Tony Stark not being Iron Man and Cyclops still being dead because things have to change.

Marvel just sees sales numbers and panic.

Nah. None of those ideas were well thought out enough to be worth keeping. Those deaths mostly didn't happen as a logical conclusion to a story being told, those legacy characters didn't happen that way either.

I don't want Marvel to only tell stories about straight white dudes, but I don't want that to happen b/c you killed them all. Nor do I want change for the sake of change, which is what you seem to be arguing for.

I didn't miss Logan but I'd rather have him than OML or Daken.

Apdiddy

Nah. None of those ideas were well thought out enough to be worth keeping. Those deaths mostly didn't happen as a logical conclusion to a story being told, those legacy characters didn't happen that way either.

I don't want Marvel to only tell stories about straight white dudes, but I don't want that to happen b/c you killed them all. Nor do I want change for the sake of change, which is what you seem to be arguing for.

I didn't miss Logan but I'd rather have him than OML or Daken.

Logan's ending was the perfect way for him to go
he fights the person who created the program and died encased in adamantium while his female clone carries on his legacy and has her own story to figure out.

Same with Captain America and Thor really. Cap and Thor didn't die, they just are no longer their namesake roles.

Some Nobody

Logan's ending was the perfect way for him to go
he fights the person who created the program and died encased in adamantium while his female clone carries on his legacy and has her own story to figure out.

Same with Captain America and Thor really. Cap and Thor didn't die, they just are no longer their namesake roles.

I liked Death of Wolverine as a beautifully drawn wide-screen comic, but nah.

And Cap and Thor? What's the difference between this time Cap lost the serum and the time he was killed? Should've just let Bucky stay in that case. And Thor? Original Sin sucked, and also Thor's a name not an identity. I like Jane Foster but the idea behind this was always dumb.

I appreciate them for resetting a lot of it. You can expand the lore without getting rid of the characters. See: Captain Marvel.

I'm going to regret it... but how did he came back?

For now,
some leftover part of his psyche is just playing chess with the Shadow King in some dark realm.
Astonishing is okay so far. Could go either way at this point but it's the best of the new X books right now imo. Although that's not saying much.

Some Nobody

For now,
some leftover part of his psyche is just playing chess with the Shadow King in some dark realm.
Astonishing is okay so far. Could go either way at this point but it's the best of the new X books right now imo. Although that's not saying much.

Man I swear it wasn't that long ago when X-Men were decent. But between the O5 and the fact that there's like ten X-Books, things have just been trash for a couple years now. >_<

And Cap and Thor? What's the difference between this time Cap lost the serum and the time he was killed? Should've just let Bucky stay in that case. And Thor? Original Sin sucked, and also Thor's a name not an identity. I like Jane Foster but the idea behind this was always dumb.

I appreciate them for resetting a lot of it. You can expand the lore without getting rid of the characters. See: Captain Marvel.
But the original Captain Marvel did die, which started the legacy chain. And some of those Captain Marvels are dead. At least Phyla-Vell still is

Some Nobody

But the original Captain Marvel did die, which started the legacy chain. And some of those Captain Marvels are dead. At least Phyla-Vell still is

In the case of the original Mar-Vell and Genis, they both reached logical ends to their stories, which is fine. Phyla-Vell should come back, though. An energy sword-wielding space lesbian? Who tf thought killing her off was a good idea?

No wonder I never follow Marvel or DC comics. Where is the permenance in the stories?

I don't think bad ideas should stay just so we can feel like change matters. Tony and Rhodey should both be around right now.

do we know if this gonna mess with Old Man Logan in any way? its probably my favorite ongoing comic so i really hope they dont throw it out for this. i mean i cant see why they would, but comics seems to do weird shit like that all the time, cant trust em.

KingV

The worst part of Original Sin is was the payoff was so bad years later.

The idea that Thor became unworthy because of something Nick Fury said was cool, but then three years later when it was revealed I was like “That’s it?”

It feels like they originally had a better idea but chose not to use it.

caliph95

The worst part of Original Sin is was the payoff was so bad years later.

The idea that Thor became unworthy because of something Nick Fury said was cool, but then three years later when it was revealed I was like “That’s it?”

It feels like they originally had a better idea but chose not to use it.
More like they had no idea and Jason Aaron had to make up an explanation and connected to his Godkiller storyline

Some Nobody

More like they had no idea and Jason Aaron had to make up an explanation and connected to his Godkiller storyline

This. Man I really wish Kathryn Immonen's Journey into Mystery had worked. Jane Foster Thor is nice and all but the way they changed the guard was silly and it's going to be worse when they finally swap back.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, if DC has Rebirth, why can't Marvel have its own "let's bring classic characters back!" event?

Let's call it... Marvel Reburp.

Or Legacy, whatever.

Top Bottom