• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Nintendo's teams working on now

AntMurda

I'm sure 2013 doesn't have much announced.. but this is a somewhat best analysis of what developers are doing what for Nintendo releases.

Copy Paste

Hajike From Kyoto Report

EAD Kyoto Group No. 1
- Mr. Hideki Konno - Mario Kart U ?
EAD Kyoto Group No. 2 - Mr. Katsuya Eguchi - Nintendo Land & Wii Sports U
EAD Kyoto Group No. 3 - Mr. Eiji Aonuma - Undisclosed Zelda Projects
EAD Kyoto Group No. 4 - Mr. Hiroyuki Kimura - Pikmin 3 & NSMBU DLC & NSMB2 DLC
EAD Kyoto Group No. 5 - Mr. Tadashi Sugiyama - Wii Fit U & Undisclosed Project?
EAD Tokyo Group No. 1 - Mr. Takao Shimizu - Undisclosed Project
EAD Tokyo Group No. 2 - Mr. Yoshiaki Koizumi - Mario Galaxy 3 ?
SPD Group No. 1 - Mr. Yoshio Sakamoto - Tomodachi Collection 2 & Game & Wario W/ Intelligent Systems & Undisclosed Project?
SPD Group No. 2 - Mr. Hitoshi Yamagami - Smash Bros. U-3DS W/ Sora & Namco & Style Savyy 2 DLC W/ Syn Sophia & Joy Sound U W/ Tose
SPD Group No. 3 - Mr. Kensuke Tanabe - Sing Party with Freestyle Games, Undisclosed Project W/ Monster Games, Paper Mario 3DS W/ Intelligent Systems, Luigi's Mansion 3DS W/ Next Level Games
SPD Group No. 4 - Mr. Hiroshi Sato - Undisclosed Project
Software Development & Design Department - Mr. Kouichi Kawamoto - Brain-Age: Concentration Training & Band Brothers 3DS & Nintendo Tvii (Japanese Version)
Nintendo Software Technology - Crosswords Plus 3DS & Undisclosed Project
Nintendo European Research & Development - Unknown
Nintendo Network Services - Wii U Services, 3DS Services
ND Cube - Undisclosed Project
Retro Studios - Undisclosed Project

Affiliates / Other - Contracted Nintendo Projects
Akira - Unknown
Alpha Dream - Unknown
Brownie Brown - Unknown
Curve Studios - Hydrophobia 3DS
Denuysha - Unknown
Genius Sonority - Unknown
Good Feel - Unknown
Grezzo - Unknown
Grounding - Unknown
HAL Laboratory - Unknown
Headstrong Games - Art Academy 3DS
Intelligent Systems - Paper Mario 3DS & Pushmo 2 & Game & Wario W/ Nintendo SPD
Mitchell Corp - Tokyo Crash Mob
Monolith Soth - Unknown
Monster Games - Unknown
Next Level Games - Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Platinum Games - Wonderful 101 & Bayonetta 2
Skip - Unknown
Suzak - Unknown
Syn Sophia - Style Savvy DLC
Tose - Joy Sound U
Vanpool - Paper Mario 3DS

I don't want another Mario Galaxy. They should create a new Mario series.

I wonder what Brownie Brown is up to.
Same. I loved Mario Galaxy, but I don't need a third game of it. Though I have no idea where they would take the franchise from there.

Brofield

Same. I loved Mario Galaxy, but I don't need a third game of it. Though I have no idea where they would take the franchise from there.

Much as I loved the whole 'flip around planets' mechanic, I think I'd be down with it coming back to keeping feet on a singular continent (with some forays into the aquatic).

I honestly really enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine (except for the blue coins, they legitimately pissed me off to no end), and the FLUDD was enjoyable. Guess a flamethrower would be too violent for the kiddies to enjoy, though...

Make for hella fun cosplay conventions

AntMurda

Didn´t we have this thread already? It looks so familiar.

Its a Wii U title. So lesser unknown.

There is no indication whatsoever that they are developing Mario Galaxy 3.

Koizumi made a statement that his group is doing R&D on the next [3D Mario] title. Obviously no guarantee it will use the Galaxy theme.

I want a 3D, free roam Mario styled in the Mushroom Kingdom where you have star goals a la Mario 64. Mario Galaxy was too boring for me.

big_z

Things should pick up again when Nintendo announces their new system at E3. Until then I wouldn't expect much.

thefro

I'm pretty sure Monolith Soft has at least 2 teams at this point with their new Kyoto studio, although they're probably only capable of making 1 Wii U game at once unless they're really hiring up or pulling staff from other parts of Nintendo/contractors.

Whoever made that report has mislabeled things a bit.

Monolith Soft and Brownie Brown are 1st-party subsidiaries of Nintendo.

They ARE Nintendo, not contracted affiliates.

BowieZ

Banned
NINTENDO FIRST AND SECOND PARTY SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT GROUPS (all titles for the 7 main EAD groups, since major restructuring in 2004, are listed)

key:
bold = announced title yet to be released
italics = assisting/minor role in development only
(date) = earliest publication date, usually Japan

Software Development Group No. 1 (SDG1) aka EAD Kyoto 1 (Hideki Konno)

nintendogs, DS (April 21, 2005)
Mario Kart, DS (November 14, 2005)
Mario Kart Wii, Wii (April 10, 2008)
nintendogs + cats, 3DS (February 26, 2011)
Mario Kart 7, 3DS (December 1, 2011) *with Retro Studios
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (minor assistance), 3DS (TBA Q1-2 2013) *with Next Level Games & SPD3

???
I'd say Mario Kart Wii U will definitely be shown at E3 2013, possibly again with help from Retro Studios to be released by Holiday 2013, judging by Nintendo's recent impetus to get its evergreen titles out (for 3DS, and also NSMBU) ASAP. I also wonder whether we may get by the end of 2013 hints about a new nintendogs or similar type of game.

Software Development Group No. 2 (SDG2) aka EAD Kyoto 2 (Katsuya Eguchi)

Animal Crossing: Wild World, DS (November 23, 2005)
Star Fox Command, DS (July 14, 2006) *with Q-Games
Wii Sports, Wii (November 19, 2006)
Wii Play, Wii (December 2, 2006)
Wii Music, Wii (October 16, 2008)
Animal Crossing: City Folk, Wii (November 16, 2008)
Wii Sports Resort, Wii (June 25, 2009)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf, 3DS (November 8, 2012) *with Monolith Soft
Nintendo Land, Wii U (November 18, 2012)
???
Surely Wii U Sports/Games is the next release (golf, baseball, possibly games like Reversi, etc. as shown at E3 2011). It was probably largely completed between 2009 and E3 2011. Even if it doesn't sell gangbusters, it will demonstrate the possibilities of the console and look great in ads, and probably form part of a new bundle, likely Q3 or Q4. That pretty much leaves Animal Crossing Wii U to be the next major project, presumably fast-tracked (thanks to crazy sales in Japan), and with lots of online/Miiverse integration (maybe even local or online multiplayer?), and I reckon we'll see a sneak peak of this in a Nintendo Direct later in 2013 in time for holiday sales. Also I believe DLC for Nintendo Land may be announced at E3 (new "episodes" for Luigi's Mansion and Mario Chase, for example, and/or maybe other franchises like Pokemon, Kirby or StarFox) to showcase the system's ultimately robust digital marketplace.

Software Development Group No. 3 (SDG3) aka EAD Kyoto 3 (Eiji Aonuma)

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, GCN (March 18, 2004)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, GCN/Wii (November 19, 2006)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, DS (June 23, 2007)
Link's Crossbow Training, Wii (November 19, 2007)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, DS (December 7, 2009)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Wii (November 18, 2011) *with SPD2 & Monolith Soft
Untitled The Legend of Zelda Game, 3DS (???)
Untitled The Legend of Zelda Game, Wii U (???)
???
Technically the existence of both 3DS and Wii U Zeldas have been announced (such a surprise!) but the question is when we'll get screens/info for each, and whether the speculated Majora's Mask 3D (with Grezzo) or Link to the Past Remake will come before. The last word, though, was that we'll get an original creation first. Since by 2013 it'll have been 4 years since Spirit Tracks, well over 2 years since the last 3DS Zelda, and about 1.5 years since Aonuma hinted at "New Legend of Zelda" for 3DS in SwapNote, Holiday 2013 could be the perfect time for the series to return to the basics, especially now that some "casuals" will be getting a taste for the adventure in the Nintendo Land attraction. Chances are we'll see something of it at E3.

Software Development Group No. 4 (SDG4) aka EAD Kyoto 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura)

Super Mario 64 DS, DS (November 21, 2004)
Yoshi Touch & Go, DS (January 27, 2005)
Big Brain Academy, DS (June 30, 2005)
New Super Mario Bros., DS (May 15, 2006)
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, Wii (April 26, 2007)
New Play Control! Pikmin, Wii (December 25, 2008)
New Play Control! Pikmin 2, Wii (March 15, 2009)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wii (November 12, 2009)
New Super Mario Bros. 2, 3DS (July 28, 2012)
New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii U (November 18, 2012)
Pikmin 3, Wii U (Q1 2013)
???
It's hard to see what's next for SDG4, but it can't be too soon, anyway. Pikmin 3 is still undergoing completion (though really only because of the priority that was given to NSMB2 and NSMBU this year), and DLC for NSMB2 (late 2012) and NSMBU (2013) has to be taken into account. I wonder though whether Miyamoto and the core design team haven't been sitting on ideas for their true next-gen game for a while. Once Pikmin is complete, it could conceivably be produced quickly if so desired. Then there's always a potential Super Mario Sunshine 3DS port, or a new Big Brain Academy, or even a Yoshi touch game sequel (perhaps SDG4 is behind the rumored Yoshi's Land Wii U game, maybe an off-shoot of the NSMB engine?), any of which could be announced in 2013.

Software Development Group No. 5 (SDG5) aka EAD Kyoto 5 (Tadashi Sugiyama)

Wii Fit, Wii (December 1, 2007)
Wii Fit Plus, Wii (October 1, 2009)
Steel Diver, 3DS (March 27, 2011) *with Vitei
Star Fox 64 3D, 3DS (July 14, 2011) *with Q-Games
Wii Fit U, Wii U (TBA Q1-2 2013)
???
Wii Fit U has probably been largely complete for a while; in any event it wouldn't have taken the full four years since Wii Fit Plus. Likewise, the development of Steel Diver and Star Fox 64 3D would have been snappy due to the small content and collaborative process with external developers. I think we may see something else from SDG5 at E3 in 2013. It could be anything, really, but I'd suggest something from what I would call Nintendo's "Fresh IP Campaign" (along with new franchises, e.g. Pushmo, Dillon, and The Denpa Men, and neglected oldies like Star Fox, Kid Icarus, F-Zero and Pilotwings), such as Steel Diver - Sugiyama could have been tasked with cultivating this franchise, as it fits the broad "casual" demographic (a slow, simple platformer, basically, with easy touch screen controls), but could appeal to more experienced players. Stab in the dark: Steel Diver 2 for Wii U eShop, with special use of GamePad periscope views.

Tokyo Development Group No. 1 (TDG1) aka EAD Tokyo 1 (Takao Shimizu)

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, GCN (December 16, 2004)
Super Mario Galaxy, Wii (November 1, 2007)
D.I.Y. Nintendo DS Guide (JP), DSiWare (November 17, 2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, 3DS (June 16, 2011) *with Grezzo
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition, DSiWare & 3DS eShop (September 28, 2011) *with Grezzo
???
A new Mario is next, and the major and more creative of the two EAD Tokyo teams is undoubtedly hard at work on the speculatively titled Super Mario Universe, and potentially has been since Wii U was first internally developed around 2008, as it's not beholden to the progress of the secondary team: when broken off in 2008, it seems obvious the second team was given the task of Super Mario Galaxy's sequel while the main team was tasked with the more original, more daring new Mario game for the Wii U. Helping Grezzo develop the two Zelda remakes, and the DS guide, throughout the end of 2010 and early 2011, would've been a nice break from proceedings. (I wonder, though, whether this was always planned to be the launch Wii U Mario game but that certain delays or hiccups led to a switch where NSMBU was fast-tracked, which would explain it being oddly hot on the heels of NSMB2.) Either way, by E3 2013, SMU will've surely had a good four years in the oven, so I can easily see a trailer for it then.

Tokyo Development Group No. 2 (TDG2) aka EAD Tokyo 2 (Yoshiaki Koizumi)

Flipnote Studio, DSiWare (December 24, 2008)
New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Wii (December 11, 2008)
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Wii (May 23, 2010)
Super Mario 3D Land, 3DS (November 3, 2011) *with Brownie Brown
???
Since EAD Tokyo 2 seems to develop offshoot titles based on existing ideas and engines from Tokyo Group 1, with about an 18 month turnaround, I can imagine that they're currently working on either Majora's Mask 3D with Grezzo or Super Mario 3D Land 2 possibly again with Brownie Brown, but more than likely it's Flipnote Memo, which was announced by Miyamoto in April 2011. This could become a key app that integrates Miiverse functionality on both 3DS and Wii U, although only 3DS was implied at the time. It could be announced and released by E3 2013 but possibly even sooner. The aforementioned Mario and Zelda titles will probably be pushed into 2014, if they exist.

(Below includes recent generations of titles listed only)

Software Planning & Development Group No. 1 (SPD1)

Rhythm Heaven, DS (2008)
WarioWare: Snapped!, DSi (2009) *with Intelligent Systems
WarioWare D.I.Y. DS (2009) *with Intelligent Systems
WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase, WiiWare (2009) *with Intelligent Systems
Tomodachi Collection, DS (2009)
Metroid: Other M, Wii (2010) *with Team Ninja
Rhythm Heaven Fever, Wii (2011)
Wii Play: Motion, Wii (2011) *with Good-Feel, Vanpool, Chunsoft, Arzest, Skip Ltd., Prope & Mitchell Corp.
Kiki Trick, Wii (January, 2012)
Game & Wario, Wii U (Q1 2013) *with Intelligent Systems
Tomodachi Collection 2, 3DS (Q2 2013)
???
With Game & Wario nearly wrapped up, and with the boon in Animal Crossing sales, expect Tomodachi Collection to be a huge priority for SPD1 right now, although by all accounts it's nearly finished with a Spring release date for Japan. With SPD1's strong collaboration with other developers, we could then see a third title announced and possibly released by late 2013 - in other words, either a Wii Play type game (is this where Reversi etc goes?) but maybe a Rhythm Heaven (3DS?) follow-up. Iwata apparently loves the idea of rhythmic game mayhem in a living room situation, but you'd think the franchise would head back to portable this time (SPD1 seems to be working in waves of portable and then console development lasting a couple of years at a time). However, what I think is most likely is that the console-savvy team is hard at work assisting Retro on their Wii U game.

Software Planning & Development Group No. 2 (SPD2) (Hitoshi Yamagami)

Super Princess Peach, DS (2005) *with Tose
Tetris DS, DS (2006)
Endless Ocean, Wii (2007) *with Arika
Fossil Fighters, DS (2008) *with Red Entertainment, M2 & Artdink
Disaster: Day of Crisis, Wii (2008) *with Monolith Soft
Wii Chess, Wii (2008) *with Spice Games
Endless Ocean 2: Blue World, Wii (2009) *with Arika
Style Savvy, DS (2009) *with syn Sophia
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Wii (2009) *with Treasure
Metal Torrent, DSiWare (2010) *with Arika
Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii (2010) *with Monolith Soft
Fossil Fighters: Champions, DS (2010) *with Red Entertainment, M2 & Artdink
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Wii (2011) *with SDG3 & Monolith Soft
Style Savvy: Trendsetters, 3DS (2012) *with syn Sophia

???
SPD2 works with a variety of first, second, and third party developers generally on more hardcore or niche titles. Their known output since the 2008-2010 period looks at this stage relatively empty, so I imagine one or two titles will be on the way. Sin & Punishment 3 developed with Treasure might be in the works, or a new Disaster or Xenoblade with Monolith Soft (discussed later), or a new collaboration with Artdink, syn Sophia, and/or Tose (who is currently developing for both 3DS and Wii U according to their website - possibly Dragon Ball Z, a Capcom or Square Enix title (like Resident Evil or Dragon Quest) or a 2D Nintendo platformer (Kid Icarus? Peach? Legendary Starfy?)).

Software Planning & Development Group No. 3 (SPD3) (Kensuke Tanabe)

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Wii (2007) *with Retro Studios
Battalion Wars 2, Wii (2007) *with Headstrong
Mario Strikers Charged, Wii (2007) *with Next Level Games
Punch-Out!!, Wii (2009) *with Next Level Games
Excitebots: Trick Racing, Wii (2009) *with Monster Games
Eco Shooter: Plant 5308, Wii (2009) *with Intelligent Systems
Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wii (2010) *with Retro Studios
Pilotwings Resort, 3DS (2011) *with Monster Games
New Art Academy, 3DS (July 2012, DLC through 2013) *with Headstrong
Fluidity: Spin Cycle, 3DS eShop (December 2012) *with Curve Studios
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, 3DS (TBA 2013) *with Next Level Games & SDG1

???
SPD3 is tasked with providing major assistance to key second parties (mostly on action/sport titles), so speculation about games they are working on will be covered below.

Software Planning & Development Group No. 4 (SPD4) (Hiroshi Sato)

Elite Beat Agents, DS (2006) *with INiS
DK: Jungle Climber, DS (2007) *with Paon
Mario Party DS, DS (2007) *with Hudson
Mario Party 8, Wii (2007) *with Hudson
Hotel Dusk: Room 215, DS (2009) *with Cing
Another Code R, Wii (2009) *with Cing
Wii Party, Wii (July 2010) *with Nd Cube
Mario Sports Mix, Wii (November 2010) *with Square Enix

???
Like SPD3, SPD4 provides major assistance to second or third parties (but mostly on party/music/puzzle games); speculation covered below. Note: Cing is now defunct and INiS has potentially moved away from its relationship in 2006 with Nintendo. Brawl co-developer Paon may be working on its fourth Donkey Kong game (after King of Swing, 2005 (GBA), Barrel Blast, 2007 (Wii) and Jungle Climber, 2007 (DS, listed above)), perhaps for the ape's debut on 3DS, or indeed something else, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Software Planning & Development Group No. 5 (SPD5) (Masaru Nishita / Shinya Takahashi)
aka Nintendo Software Design & Development (SDD)

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!, DS (2005)
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day!, DS (2005)
English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills!, DS (2006)
DSi System Software (2006-2008)
Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day, DS (2008)
Jam with the Band, DS (2008)
Brain Age Express, DSi (2008)
Photo Dojo, DSi (2009)
3DS System Software (2009-2011)
Brain Age: Devilish/Concentration Training, 3DS (2012)
Jam with the Band, 3DS (TBA 2013)
???
SPD5 is focused on handheld educational/experimental titles, aka most of the "Touch! Generations" line. They've managed to output about 2 games per year, except when designing DSi and 3DS system software. We may see another interesting handheld app from them this year, after Jam with the Band 3DS. Perhaps a puzzle game involving 3D trickery? Either way, chances are it won't be localised in time for 2013.

Nintendo Network Service Development (NSD) (Masaru Shimomura)

Satellaview & Pokémon Mini (hardware and various softwares) (1995-2003)
Slide Adventure: MAGKID (JP), DS (2007)
Personal Trainer: Walking, DS (2008) *with Creatures, Inc. & Engines
Personal Trainer: Cooking, DS (2008) *with indies zero
???
I'm not sure if this team still operates. Since restructuring they've apparently only made these three DS games. Maybe they are the ones working on Wii U NFC (Near Field Communication) hardware/software, that integrates with Pokemon cards or figurines, or a Wii Fit U pedometer. Or Wii U Panorama View? Or were they involved with the mysterious Wii Vitality Sensor accessory? Who knows, but I thought I'd list them anyway to be safe.

Nintendo Software Technology (NST) (Shigeki Yamashiro)

Wave Race: Blue Storm, GCN (2001)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest & Collector's Edition (ports), GCN (2002)
1080° Avalanche, GCN (2003)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong, GBA (2004)
Ridge Racer DS (port), DS (2004)
Metroid Prime Hunters, DS (2006)
Crosswords, DS (2008) *with Nuevo Retro Games
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, DSiWare (2009)
Mario Clock and Calculator, DSiWare (2009)
Animal Crossing Clock and Calculator, DSiWare (2009)
Aura-Aura Climber, DSiWare (2010)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem, DS (2010)
Crosswords Plus, 3DS (October 2012)
???
NST, being American and based in Redmond, WA, develops additional content tailor-made to the US market, tending toward portables more recently. They've released nothing since 2010, except for Crosswords on 3DS, which couldn't have taken all that long. I originally thought NST was developing Nintendo TVii but apparently that's almost completely been done in Kyoto. Rumors suggest that between 2010 and 2012 NST may have been assisting Retro with their allegedly delay-riddled Wii U game. They could be hard at work on a new Mario vs. Donkey Kong for either console, a new Wave Race or 1080° type sports game, or something more daring like a Metroid FPS as with Prime Hunters for DS (although if this concept is basically Retro's new game, that's not likely). Or nothing at all, but expect one of these to get announced around E3 time.

AntMurda

Whoever made that report has mislabeled things a bit.

Monolith Soft and Brownie Brown are 1st-party subsidiaries of Nintendo.

They ARE Nintendo, not contracted affiliates.

Even though they are subsidiaries, they don't always develop first-party games. Sometimes, almost half the time, they develop projects for third party licensees because Nintendo is not interested in the concept.

BowieZ

Banned
SECOND PARTY (not all titles published by Nintendo)

Sora Ltd.

Meteos, DS (2005) *with Q Entertainment
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii (2008) *with MonolithSoft & Game Arts
Kid Icarus: Uprising, 3DS (March 2012) *as Project Sora
Super Smash Bros. 4, 3DS & Wii U (???) *with Namco Bandai
???
Sakurai's recent comments about making us "wait" for details about Smash 4 dashes my expectations for anything at E3, let alone a 2013 release. But we might just get a teaser trailer and/or logo at E3.

Intelligent Systems

WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Wii (2006) *with SPD1
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Wii (2007)
Super Paper Mario, Wii (2007)
Light Speed Card Battle: Card Hero, DS (2007)
Planet Puzzle League, DS (2007)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict, DS (2008)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, DS (2008)
WarioWare: Snapped!, DSiWare (2008) *with SPD1
WarioWare D.I.Y., DS (2009) *with SPD1
WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase, WiiWare (2009) *with SPD1

Eco Shooter: Plant 530, WiiWare (2009) *with SPD3
Dragon Quest Wars, DSiWare (2009)
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow (remake), DS (2010)
Link 'n' Launch, DSiWare (2010)
Spotto!, DSiWare (2010)
Pushmo/Pullblox, 3DS eShop (October 2011)
Fire Emblem: Awakening, 3DS (April 2012) *with Red Entertainment & SPD2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star, 3DS (November 2012)
Crashmo/Fallblox, 3DS eShop (November 2012)
Game & Wario, Wii U (Q1 2013) *with SPD1
???
What's next for Intelligent Systems? Basically every significant franchise has recently or is about to be released. They have a pretty regular turnaround, so what's left for late 2013 could be another Pushmo/Mallo game (Wii U?), dual screen Advance Wars for either console, or new IP altogether, or at the very least an announcement of this.

Retro Studios

Metroid Prime, GCN (2002)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, GCN (2004)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Wii (2007) *with SPD3
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (ports), Wii (2009)
Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wii (November 2010) *with SPD3
Mario Kart 7 (returning courses and assets development), 3DS (December 2011) *with SDG1
Untitled Wii U game (???)
???
Rumor has it the new Wii U game (supposedly a fantastic intense 3D adventure that "everyone wants" them to do, most likely Metroid or a new IP) was meant to be teased at E3 2012 but pulled at the last minute (delays? keeping it up their sleeve for 2013 after Sony and MS's next consoles were no-shows?). Job postings suggest Retro may have divided into two teams beginning 2012 to work simultaneously on a second, perhaps 2D game (Donkey Kong? Yoshi's Island? Metroid again, even?).

HAL Laboratory

Kirby Canvas Curse, DS (2005)
Pokémon Ranger, DS (2006) *with Creatures Inc.
Kirby Squeak Squad, DS (2006) *with Flagship
Kirby Super Star Ultra, DS (2008)
Picross 3D, DS (2009)
Face Pilot, DSiWare (2010)
Kirby Mass Attack, DS (August 2011) *with Engines
Face Raiders, 3DSware (February 2011)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Wii (October 2011)
Kirby's Dream Collection, Wii (July 2012)
???
Most likely Picross (either 3DS or Wii U), or Kirby 3DS (especially if developed more quickly with Engines), could be announced/released in 2013.

Good-Feel (not listed here: six JP-only educational games)

Wario Land: Shake It!, Wii (2008)
3D Hidden Picture, DSiWare (2010)
Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii (October 2010)
Wii Play: Motion (2 mini-games), Wii (June 2011) *with SPD1
???
By E3 2013, Good-Feel would have been working on their next game for a good 3 years, and maybe they are the ones working on Yoshi's Island, as it would clearly suit their style. (Hmm, seems there's quite a few developers who have potentially had their stars align to develop a decent Yoshi's Island sequel!)

Nd Cube (including former Hudson Soft teams)

F-Zero Maximum Velocity, GBA (2001)
Mario Party series 1-8, N64, GCN, DS & Wii (1998-2008) *with SPD4
Karaoke Joysound Wii, Wii & WiiWare (2008-2010) *with XING
Wii Party, Wii (November 2010) *with SPD4
Mario Party 9, Wii (March 2012) *with SPD4
Wii Karaoke Joysound U (JP), Wii U Ware (December 2012) *with XING & Tose
???
Probably a Party title for 3DS (gets the whole family to buy multiple consoles), but maybe even F-Zero (now that Nintendo Land is reintroducing players to the old-school arcade racer). Optimistically it may get announced late 2013.

Next Level Games (significant/recent titles listed only)

Super Mario Strikers, GCN (2005)
Mario Strikers Charged, Wii (2007) *with SPD3
Punch-Out!!, Wii (2009) *with SPD3
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!, WiiWare (2009)
Transformers: Cybertron Adventures, Wii (2010)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Wii (2010)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, 3DS (TBA 2013) *with SDG1 & SPD3
???
Hopefully Next Level goes straight onto another tent-pole title (and not more shovelware/ports), like a Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!! or something better yet. But whatever it is, I bet nothing else noteworthy will come until after 2013.

Monolith Soft (not listed here: 11 Namco-Bandai published titles 2002-2010 incl. Xenosaga, Super Robot Taisen & Baten Kaitos)

Baten Kaitos Origins, GCN (2006) *with tri-Crescendo
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii (2008) *with Sora Ltd.
Soma Bringer, DS (2008)
Disaster: Day of Crisis, Wii (2008) *with SPD2
Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii (2010) *with SPD2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Wii (November 2011) *with SPD2 & SDG3
Project X Zone, 3DS (October 2012) *with Banpresto; published by Namco Bandai
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (November 2012) *with SDG2
Untitled Wii U game (???)
Untitled 3DS game (???)
???
Tokyo-based Monolith Soft is known to be working on a hardcore Wii U RPG to rival WRPGs in scale and next-gen prowess, and possibly involving social network content (clever Miiverse implementation?). In July 2011 they announced they were opening a new studio in Kyoto to work more closely with Nintendo and in Feb 2012 hired a brand new team to assist with Animal Crossing and Project X Zone, and to work on a new 3DS game. Based on their output, I can't see either game making it in time for 2013, but we may get a sneak peak at, say, Tokyo Game Show, late 2013.

AlphaDream (not listed here: 7 JP-only puzzle-adventure games)

Mario & Luigi 1, GBA (2003)
Mario & Luigi 2, DS (2005)
Mario & Luigi 3, DS (2009)
???
With no other portable Mario games lined up for 2013 at this stage, it's probably just the right time for a new Mario RPG game, although like some recent franchises (Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, WarioWare), it may get switched to console to "cross-pollenate" user-bases (is this a deliberate Iwata strategy?). With Bowser being a key focus in Mario 3, maybe there'll be a major twist this time, too. Or a sequel to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars?

Brownie Brown

Magical Vacation, GBA (2001)
Mother 3 (remake of unreleased Earthbound 64), GBA (1994-2006) *with HAL Laboratory & Nintendo R&D
Sword of Mana, GBA (2003) *with Square Enix
Magical Starsign, DS (2006)
Heroes of Mana, DS (2007) *with Square Enix
Blue Dragon Plus, DS (2008) *with feelplus; published by AQ Interactive

Professor Layton's London Life (bonus game in Professor Layton and the Last Specter), DS (2009) *with Level-5
A Kappa's Trail, DSiWare (2009)
Super Mario 3D Land, 3DS (2011) *with EAD Tokyo 2
Fantasy Life, 3DS (December 2012) *with Level-5

???
Possibly another Mother port/remake (if Itoi's recent tweets are anything to go by). Other than that, they'll most likely be assisting on another first or third party developer's game.

Camelot Software Planning (not listed here: many, many others in the Mario Golf, Mario Tennis & Golden Sun series, and Sega's old Shining Force series)

Mario Golf: Advance Tour, GBA (2004)
Mario Power Tennis, GCN (2004)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour, GBA (2005)
We Love Golf!, Wii (2007)
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis, Wii (2008)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, DS (2010)
Mario Tennis Open, 3DS (2012)
???
Based on Camelot's development schedule (a cheap effort in a year or a solid effort in at least 2 years), I'd suggest we'll get an announcement at the most: It'll have been 6 years since their last golf game (8 if we're talking Mario Golf!) when E3 rolls around, so that's a high possibility (more likely Wii U I guess?), or if Iwata wants to cultivate more hardcore/niche games, we could get another RPG (Golden Sun or even Shining Force).

Jupiter Corp. (significant/recent titles listed only)

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, GBA (2004) *with Square Enix
Spectrobes, DS (2007) *with Disney
Personal Trainer: Math, DS (2007)
Picross DS, DS (2007)
The World Ends With You/It's a Wonderful World (JP), DS (2007) *with Square Enix
Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals, DS (2008)
Picross e, 3DS eShop (June 2011)
Picross e2, 3DS eShop (December 2011)
???
By E3 2013, Jupiter will have been working on something for 18 months. Picross? Well there'll be enough of that with BC and VC. Just four months ago a sequel to TWEWY was formally teased (secret image saying "New 7 Days" after completing h.a.n.d.'s iOS port), and it could be Square and Jupiter again -- and hopefully on 3DS and not iOS! A Japanese announcement/trailer later in the year seems pretty reasonable.

Monster Games (significant/recent titles listed only)

Excite Truck, Wii (2006)
Excitebots: Trick Racing, Wii (2009) *with SPD3
Excitebike: World Rally, WiiWare (2011)
Pilotwings Resort, 3DS (2011) *with SPD3
???
This Minnesota based developer specialises in racing games. I can imagine Wave Race Resort for 3DS being next (hopefully with a little more content than Pilotwings), or even Excitebike Resort. Based on their output, and with some help from SPD3 or maybe NST, I can see this announced and out by late 2013.

n-Space (significant/recent titles listed only)

various tie-in ports for DS; other shovelware (2005-2011)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: Defiance, DS (2011)
Jaws: Ultimate Predator, DS (2011)
Heroes of Ruin, 3DS (2012)
RollerCoaster Tycoon, 3DS (2012)
Skylanders: Giants (port), 3DS (2012)
???
Apart from a solid partnership with Square Enix for Heroes of Ruin, this Florida based developer doesn't have an impressive portfolio, unless you count sheer quantity of output (about 30 ports/shovelware titles in the last four years). Anything worth mentioning won't be out in 2013.

I also don't want another Mario Galaxy but I think calling it "Mario Galaxy 3" is a simple way of saying the next 3D Mario platformer.

AntMurda

SECOND PARTY (not all titles published by Nintendo)

RetroStudios, NdCube (Nintendo Cube), Brownie Brown, and Monolith Soft are subsidiaries. Even though i think the term second-party is nonsensical to begin with, under its fabricrated terminology, these studios wouldn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure Monolith Soft has at least 2 teams at this point with their new Kyoto studio, although they're probably only capable of making 1 Wii U game at once unless they're really hiring up or pulling staff from other parts of Nintendo/contractors.
According to reports monolith is working on a wii u and 3DS game. Also, retro has two teams. We also know that Zelda 3DS is the next project being worked on for the zelda team. Although I could see them, and theyve hinted as much, working with an outside team to start development on the wii u title so that we're not waiting another 5 years for a mainline console zelda.

Even though they are subsidiaries, they don't always develop first-party games. Sometimes, almost half the time, they develop projects for third party licensees because Nintendo is not interested in the concept.

They're still 1st-party.

HAL Laboratory and Intelligent Systems are "technically" 2nd-party affiliates because they're financially independent, but they develop games exclusively for Nintendo systems and share offices / staff with Nintendo all the time.

That still doesn't make them 1st-party, though.

Besides, the only studios Monolith has really collaborated with is Namco Bandai. Nintendo has an EXCELLENT relationship with Namco Bandai (NBGI is even developing Super Smash Bros. 4), so it's not like Monolith is cooperating with some completely unknown studio...

(Square Enix and Nintendo also have a good history, in Brownie Brown's case).

Oersted

The main studio is working on the Wii U game, the Kyoto one on 3DS.

AntMurda

They're still 1st-party.

No one used the term second-party anyway. It could fall under other, because again, sometimes even though they are subsidiaries, they develop games for first party publisher, and sometimes for third party publisher.

There is no arguing that they are Nintendo companies.

No one used the term second-party anyway. It could fall under other, because again, sometimes even though they are subsidiaries, they develop games for first party publisher, and sometimes for third party publisher.

There is no arguing that they are Nintendo companies.

1st-party developers are owned or majority owned by the parent company. (Monolith Soft)

2nd-party developers are financially independent from the parent company, but have very strong ties with them and exclusive publishing contracts. (Game Freak)

3rd-party developers usually have no relation to the parent company other than what's needed for licensing. They may have a good relationship with the parent company and cooperate with them with development, but they don't swear allegiance to any particular platform...they develop for everything. (Namco Bandai)

Exclusivity is what separates a 2nd-party studio from a 3rd-party studio. 3rd-party studios make 360 / PS3 multiplats...2nd-party studios make PS3 exclusives.

Takao

Banned
According to reports monolith is working on a wii u and 3DS game. Also, retro has two teams. We also know that Zelda 3DS is the next project being worked on for the zelda team. Although I could see them, and theyve hinted as much, working with an outside team to start development on the wii u title so that we're not waiting another 5 years for a mainline console zelda.

Was this before/after Project X Zone?

AntMurda

1st-party developers are owned or majority owned by the parent company. (Monolith Soft)

2nd-party developers are financially independent from the parent company, but have very strong ties with them and exclusive publishing contracts. (Game Freak)

3rd-party developers usually have no relation to the parent company other than what's needed for licensing. They may have a good relationship with the parent company and cooperate with them with development, but they don't swear allegiance to any particular platform...they develop for everything. (Namco Bandai)

Exclusivity is what separates a 2nd party studio from a 3rd party studio. 3rd-party studios make 360 / PS3 multiplats...2nd-party studios make PS3 exclusives.

I hate to tell you this. But this is all semantics. I work in publishing. In business, there is only first party and third party. First party means no licensing fees in the product or released by hardware manufacturer, third party means licensee who pays hardware manufacturer.

Second-party is a term frequented only in forums and when people want to make really intense lists.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hopefully something for the 3ds. I know the Wii-U needs games, but I feel like the 3ds at least in NA is still just getting trickle down games that we've known about for forever now. I mean as much as I want to see a new Monolith game for the Wii-U where is my new Monolith game for the 3ds?!?!?!

I hate to tell you this. But this is all semantics. I work in publishing. In business, there is only first party and third party. First party means no licensing fees in the product or released by hardware manufacturer, third party means licensee who pays hardware manufacturer.

Second-party is a term frequented only in forums and when people want to make really intense lists.

You're right. "Second-party" IS a fan-made term.

I guess "third-party with exclusive publishing contracts and unusual, deep loyalty to a hardware manufacturer" will have to do then.

Top Bottom