• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator 1 vs Terminator 2. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drahcir

"You're terminated, fucker!" >>> thumbs up

But seriously, at one point I used to say T2 but T1 is the highly rewatchable of two for me now because of the horror vibe.

120v

i always thought T2 was unanimously better until gaf told me it wasn't

kidding aside i haven't seen T1 in ages. maybe all these years later i'd change my mind but T2 is one of the greatest movies ever made, even if you aren't into sci-fi/action/ect. transcends genres sort of like Back to the Future, its something even my grandparents could appreciate

i always thought T2 was unanimously better until gaf told me it wasn't

kidding aside i haven't seen T1 in ages. maybe all these years later i'd change my mind but T2 is one of the greatest movies ever made, even if you aren't into sci-fi/action/ect. transcends genres sort of like Back to the Future, its something even my grandparents could appreciate

Everyone at school that preferred the second film usually liked wrestling as well.

You know the types.

jelly

giphy.gif

True fucking shit. If you think Arnold didn't turn the Model 1887 into the coolest weapon of all time then get out of my face

How does he actually put a round in with one hand and spinning or whatever he does.

liquidtmd

Banned
By not including it?

The Kyle/Sarah romance in T1 is kind of creepy and honestly unnecessary

A lonely, war torn man seeks solace in the idea of a fantasy woman and a love.

By this point in the film, Sarah's kinda bought into his story and goes with it. They have sex and the whole conceit of Kyle becoming the tragic father adding an irony to Sarah's sadness in the photo Kyle spent years of looking at and fell in love with fulfills itself.

Do you mean not have Kyle be John's father? Because I don't think that would be anywhere near as effective.

Flo_Evans

Arnold wasn't really cutting his eye out in the first movie either. Movies aren't real. Who knew?

I'm just saying. 2 relies on flashy cool stunts and other crap. Terminator is exciting/tense because it's a good movie. That the t-800 would even reload in such a flamboyant way is ridiculous.

Ah, so there is like 4-5 rounds in there already.

Does that motion work in real life?

Not sure how many rounds it holds, but i can't see why it wouldn't work. I would not advise spinning a loaded gun around like that though, unless you're living tissue over metal endoskeleton badass.

Terminator 2. I much prefer the action and overall story. The original's more low budget horror feel is nice, but the sequel umps everything and it's all the better for it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm just saying. 2 relies on flashy cool stunts and other crap. Terminator is exciting/tense because it's a good movie. That the t-800 would even reload in such a flamboyant way is ridiculous.

Then you should probably say that in the first place. Let's not point out that the T800 was dual wielding two big as guns in the first movie either.

For all of its big special effects, the second film still has some glaring problems. Like the smoke jets on the stove the biker is thrown on and the telephone box the terminator punches being a different colour where it dents in and the laughable dummy being dragged behind the police car.

Not that any of that matters though, I love the practical effects of both films but whereas the shortcomings of the original were budget related I can't help but question them in the second film.

Terminator 2, it's aged amazingly well, and is pretty much my favorite action movie ever, depending on the day you ask me.

Terminator 1 is good, a fun hokey film that took the seedier Cali 80s vibe and incorporated it into a unique, memorable story.

Also

giphy.gif

True fucking shit. If you think Arnold didn't turn the Model 1887 into the coolest weapon of all time then get out of my face
This is still my favorite thing in any movie ever. It's so fucking cool.

jelly

For all of its big special effects, the second film still has some glaring problems. Like the smoke jets on the stove the biker is thrown on and the telephone box the terminator punches being a different colour where it dents in and the laughable dummy being dragged behind the police car.

Not that any of that matters though, I love the practical effects of both films but whereas the shortcomings of the original were budget related I can't help but question them in the second film.

Part that bugs me is after the bike jump, could they not have figured out a way to not make it look like they just speed up the film when he slides by the truck.

It still annoys me when that worker walks between the bullets in the mall, like duh!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Both amazing films but I love Terminator 1 more, it's the Terminator film I rewatch the most as well.

Fury451

Banned
This is nearly the Alien/Aliens question for me.

The Terminator is a brooding, atmospheric action thriller, with more emphasis on a horror movie tone then anything in a lot of ways.

T2 however, is the superior movie because it's essentially that action thriller, but with everything taken up to an incredibly high degree. Slick production, memorable characters, great performances, and superb action that still incredible to watch to this day. It's a masterclass in action with real characters and to me it's basically the standard by which all sequels are measured in some ways.

ShowDog

I think T1 has better pacing, Arnold is better as the villain, Michael Beihn kicks ass and wears a duster, the tension/horror is very well done, the soundtrack is fantastic, and I like Sarah's character better. Also no Edward Furlong and being an 80's film there are the obligatory tits.

T2 has some good action scenes.

Fury451

Banned
Terminator 1 by a mile.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is much better as the unstoppable villain that never, ever gives up than he is as a good guy.

But in the sequel he's a good guy that never, ever gives up. It was a genius subversion that would've been really interesting as a surprise had it not been spoiled by all of the trailers back when it came out.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Aliens > Alien
Terminator 2 > Terminator
Predators > Predator

Sorry, not sorry. I don't feel like the films being given an action orientation makes them lesser than their horror counterparts. I think they were better movies, with better pacing and I like that the sequels did more in regards to story telling and exposition about the world the characters find themselves in. I know some of you guys enjoy the mystique but I like realized worlds and knowing about things but to each their own.

T2 and I'm surprised it's even a question.

Aliens > Alien
Terminator 2 > Terminator
Predators > Predator

Sorry, not sorry. I don't feel like the films being given an action orientation makes them lesser than their horror counterparts. I think they were better movies, with better pacing and I like that the sequels did more in regards to story telling and exposition about the world the characters find themselves in. I know some of you guys enjoy the mystique but I like realized worlds and knowing about things but to each their own.

this man gets it.

massoluk

Banned
I think T1 is a better movie. "T1000 can't turn into grenade" explanation is not adequate to me. T1000 was some dumb fuck assassin. Ex. Can disguise as anyone, keep turning into Robert Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom