• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Graphics on GTAcc are beautiful.. it looks crazy sharp and with no slightest tearing. I was driving through Rome with amazement..

Looks crispy clear, like in Prologue. Beautiful.

Oh, did they update the engine again with this release?

HELP!!!

I'm searching the SEN Store and I can't find the GT Academy download. Someone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Found it Sorry for the panic post.

Haunted

Cool stuff.

I'll be honest, the only competitive video game racer I actually know of is that Finnish guy, Greger Huttu.

Graphics on GTAcc are beautiful.. it looks crazy sharp and with no slightest tearing. I was driving through Rome with amazement..

Looks crispy clear, like in Prologue. Beautiful.

I haven't got that far but there's tearing and blurry textures/foliage right from the first license test.

It looks nice coming from months of Forza though.

Goldrusher

I thought the name was changed to Sony Entertainment Network(SEN)? I found the demo also thank you.
Sony Entertainment Network is something brand new and includes the PlayStation Network (and the PlayStation Store), along with Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited.
All of those services now use the same "SEN account".

So even though you now have an SEN account, you still use PSN and the PlayStation Store.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I thought the name was changed to Sony Entertainment Network(SEN)? I found the demo also thank you.

I'm just messing with you since people using "SEN" grinds my gears. I really don't know why Sony is making people think it's "SEN" when they, themselves, even call it "Playstation Network."

Also getting all golds for the cars to be unlocked in GT5 is a bit bullshit with the controller. I completed Round 1 but barely with like milliseconds to spare. Protip for DS3-ers: Turn ABS and the other systems (Traction Control) off. The aids slow you down IIRC so you don't want them. I beat Goldrusher in the last section of round 1 so I feel proud of that but Pjotr and Goldrusher are completely thrashing me because they have a wheel. :(

I can't imagine unlocking the other cars from this if they want golds the whole way through. :(

Mobius 1

Not too bad so far with the DS3. I will setup the wheel later and go back to improve the times.

The menus... So good. Polyphony has no peers at this.

Feels good!

img_20120502_023836evxzg.jpg

TheSeks

God 2-2 is murder on the DS3. Turned the aids off and had issues getting through the first corner like I generally do. Brake too hard and go slow. Brake too soft and hit the barrier. So I did a medium brake and rode through on red. Gas out but start to slide. Correct and lay off the accelerator a bit. Get ahead of my ghost that was sucking (surprised me) and made it through the second corner for like +3 seconds over the gold time. Surprised the hell out of me but GAWD.

2-4 is also crazy because you have to stay in second and have a good speed to get through there. Took five-ten attempts but I got like +3.000 over the gold time after cursing at the esses.

Now leaves 2-5 to Gold. Is there anyway to export the replays here to GT5? I want to send Metal these so he can archive these and probably put them on Youtube for me. :p

Also someone should tweet Kaz to have the gift car requirements be silver at best or Bronze at worst because going for gold on these is going to kill me sooner or later. :p

TheSeks

OMG I DID IT. All Gold. But fuck 2-5/the 'ring. That's a one-lane road and you basically have to sling-shot past the red/second place car to get behind the first to even have a chance at getting gold. Ride their bumper? SLINGSHOT OFF THE ROAD. Don't ride it? Go too slow. Getting a chance to pass is crazy because the road is always winding and too narrow. Ugh.

I'm just glad to be done with it but still: Crazy.

God 2-2 is murder on the DS3. Turned the aids off and had issues getting through the first corner like I generally do. Brake too hard and go slow. Brake too soft and hit the barrier. So I did a medium brake and rode through on red. Gas out but start to slide. Correct and lay off the accelerator a bit. Get ahead of my ghost that was sucking (surprised me) and made it through the second corner for like +3 seconds over the gold time. Surprised the hell out of me but GAWD.

2-4 is also crazy because you have to stay in second and have a good speed to get through there. Took five-ten attempts but I got like +3.000 over the gold time after cursing at the esses.

Now leaves 2-5 to Gold. Is there anyway to export the replays here to GT5? I want to send Metal these so he can archive these and probably put them on Youtube for me. :p

Also someone should tweet Kaz to have the gift car requirements be silver at best or Bronze at worst because going for gold on these is going to kill me sooner or later. :p

Did we get the same version? I wasn't able to change any of the settings, even had to do the tests with a shitty automatic transmission. I still thought all the tests were stupidly easy, I had to retry some of the regular tests for hours before beating them. That one test (IC-3?) through the chicanes on Indy Road with the 370z took me 8 hours to beat.

TheSeks

Did we get the same version? I wasn't able to change any of the settings, even had to do the tests with a shitty automatic transmission. I still thought all the tests were stupidly easy, I had to retry some of the regular tests for hours before beating them. That one test (IC-3?) through the chicanes on Indy Road with the 370z took me 8 hours to beat.

You're able to change the transmission and assists in quick-tune before you race. I know you can change it to manual but I did all these with automatic and the DS at like 0 sensitivity.

I'm also using the triggers for brake and gas which made complicate things since they aren't as good as the 360 triggers for that function. :/

The cars are also using comfort medium to where there is no grip at all. Complicates me taking corners at speed for time.

Mobius 1

You're able to change the transmission and assists in quick-tune before you race. I know you can change it to manual but I did all these with automatic and the DS at like 0 sensitivity.

I'm also using the triggers for brake and gas which made complicate things since they aren't as good as the 360 triggers for that function. :/

The cars are also using comfort medium to where there is no grip at all. Complicates me taking corners at speed for time.

Fix those triggers for cheap.

I found the tests very easy. I'm jumping back again over the weekend with the wheel to see if I can improve the times in a significant way.

TheSeks

I found the tests very easy. I'm jumping back again over the weekend with the wheel to see if I can improve the times in a significant way.

It's not that they're hard per say, as I did them with Silvers in first attempts easy. It's getting the golds that becomes impossible with the DS3 because you're either gassing too much/too little and slamming into things with the tires because of it. Hell, I beat the Rome S curve stage by basically power-sliding through the opening corner, correcting and letting tire spin give me grip to get around the easy left turn to the end.

ruttyboy

I was ready to download the instant it appeared on the PSN store, set it off, and 5+ hours later it finishes. I was fully expecting the servers to be down and not be able to log in (which happened a few times), but I had to laugh when after a 3GB download which was started within a minute of release the patch notification popped up :D

I too thought I noticed graphical improvements, I even thought I noticed better control in the FR, but both might be placebos due to me not playing for weeks.

It was pretty hilariously easy and a Nissan Leaf, really? Dull. Although I know it is basically a marketing exercise so that explains the car choice and also the decision to let the maximum amount of people progress.

My real sadness though lies in that I have no friends on PS3 so I’ve got a lonely leaderboard, anybody willing to befriend me? My tag is ruttyboy, same as here.

paskowitz

Golded everything is no more than 2 tries. I actually thought the Leaf challenges were the hardest... lol. With the Silvia I always had a good second or two to spare.

What the hell is the point of all this though? Position on the leaderboards does not seem to matter so what happens next, magically out of the blue and event that does matter pops up and if we don't quali in the top ten we lose? Uh?

Ok so I just read the US Blog post... it seems only the last two weeks matter... which is kinda stupid because what if you have the time the week before but not that week...

Round 1 and 2 (Registration not required):
5/1 (Tue) to 6/24 (Sun)

Round 3 and 4 (Registration not required):
5/14 (Mon) to 6/24 (Sun)

Round 5 and 6 (Registration not required):
5/28 (Mon) to 6/24 (Sun)

Round 7 and 8 (Round 8 is Final / Qualification Event):
6/11 (Mon) to 6/24 (Sun)

amar212

What the hell is the point of all this though?

Well, I guess it is nice promotional thing and great 8-week-span media coverage.

The final 8th Event is the only one that "matters" to those that are eligible for going into real-world Academy, while in the meantime you can race against yours Friends times and imagine how great would be if GT5 actually had such system built into the game.

But than again, all of this *could* also be a great way to test Leaderboards feature and stress-test the servers, so we never know.

Also, GTAcc showed us few things:

- the force feedback is again refined, so this *physics* will probably make its way into GT5 at some point
- the shadows are refined too, so it leaves to be seen will they make appearance in GT5 and replace the current shadowing
- finally there is an option to access Race BGM/Racing Sound BGM options from the in-game Pause menu >> so hoping it will come to GT5 as an option with some future update
- they can filter all entries based on PSN ID country and that is something very interesting

We shell see. Soon™

paskowitz

But than again, all of this *could* also be a great way to test Leaderboards feature and stress-test the servers, so we never know.

Also, GTAcc showed us few things:

- the force feedback is again refined, so this *physics* will probably make its way into GT5 at some point
- the shadows are refined too, so it leaves to be seen will they make appearance in GT5 and replace the current shadowing
- finally there is an option to access Race BGM/Racing Sound BGM options from the in-game Pause menu >> so hoping it will come to GT5 as an option with some future update
- they can filter all entries based on PSN ID country and that is something very interesting

We shell see. Soon™

Hahahaha, Kaz really needs to TM "Soon". Now that I think of it this makes for a perfect test bed for online leaderboards.

Arcteryx

The challenge isn't to gold the events, it's to go as high in the leaderboard as you can. That's what really matters.

Right. But these first few weeks don't matter apparently (only for fun), and if you compound that with the ability to use assists...meh, that takes the fun out of leaderboards for me then.

Also: I've seen a ton of comments on the S15 and having issues driving it on the Nurb. Really? I honestly thought it felt tamer on comfort softs than most cars do with sports in GT5. Just felt vastly different physics wise is all.
Are people having trouble with the opponent cars? the track?

amar212

What *people* have problem with is the fact they're used to drive every damn car in the game on Racing Softs and with SRF on.

*People* will hopefully realise the sheer meaninglessity (nice word, isn't it? :)) of Racing Softs in general and accept the logic behind the street compounds.

I can't stand *people*. They've ruined the complete beauty of the original Seasonal Events philosophy because of their crying and today we're left with self-imposed challenges that can't come close to sheer perfection of original Seasonals - all of that because *People* didn't want to learn to drive for even 2 hours straight.

Thank Kaz™, now it is 100% their problem.

TheSeks

BOTH. Riding the tail of one of the cars gives you speed, until they shift and the track being narrow throws you off at speed. Trying to get past one of them (which you have to do for Gold it seems) is damn near impossible. Doing it for both is crazy.

Arcteryx

BOTH. Riding the tail of one of the cars gives you speed, until they shift and the track being narrow throws you off at speed. Trying to get past one of them (which you have to do for Gold it seems) is damn near impossible. Doing it for both is crazy.

Try checking out some of the ghosts of the top players. That and just getting used to the Nurb and what areas you can safely pass on. AFAIR, I passed the silver(?) car on the left fairly early, and waited until the final turn to pass the red car on the left inside(hopped the curb pretty much). Most of the of the top times are driving VERY aggressively, trying to see what areas they can cut without getting a DQ.

TheSeks

Try checking out some of the ghosts of the top players. That and just getting used to the Nurb and what areas you can safely pass on. AFAIR, I passed the silver(?) car on the left fairly early, and waited until the final turn to pass the red car on the left inside(hopped the curb pretty much). Most of the of the top times are driving VERY aggressively, trying to see what areas they can cut without getting a DQ.

Oh, I drove aggressively. Many times and got thrown off the track because of drafting the car for speed. Attempting to pass gives me pre-patch TGTT nightmares of slightly bumping the car and "LOL DQ! RAMMING!" to where I don't want to touch the cars anymore.

I got it by passing the silver car right near the end and getting over +2 seconds from the target time for gold. But I'm done with these two rounds. I can't imagine how impossible gold will be on controllers in the next two rounds if we're having to pass cars and avoid going off track and ramming the other cars hard to get gold times for the GT5 rewards. :/

It's hard to care about the leaderboard when this "game" doesn't aggregate all five events into one unified time.

Why would it? The point is to compare yourself to the world in each specific test. Do you see any game with a leaderboard aggregating lap times from all tracks into one unified time?

mclaren777

Why would it? The point is to compare yourself to the world in each specific test. Do you see any game with a leaderboard aggregating lap times from all tracks into one unified time?

I don't typically pay attention to leaderboard placement in games so I don't know what's considered normal, but I think this GTA would be more fun if it combined the times. The driving challenges aren't fun yet so the leaderboard is all it has going for it.

wabo

Banned
I don't typically pay attention to leaderboard placement in games so I don't know what's considered normal, but I think this GTA would be more fun if it combined the times. The driving challenges aren't fun yet so the leaderboard is all it has going for it.

This.

This challenges are a mere filter for the real deal, but would be far more challenging if all times were taken in account. It would make you master everything.

This.

This challenges are a mere filter for the real deal, but would be far more challenging if all times were taken in account. It would make you master everything.

The fact that they aren't taking into account all tests as qualification factors is a different issue. We don't know what the final test will be so it's also premature to complain, it could just be a mix of everything that happened before and those were just meant as practice.

Polyphony

Finally installing this at the moment. I'm more excited about the potential tweaks that might make their way to GT5 than the competition itself since my country is excluded.

Damn you ashk!!!! You ruined my 1st place streak, and I just can't beat you on 1-1!! Been trying it for ages.

1st place of the FL leaderboard on all the other stages though -.-

Finally installing this at the moment. I'm more excited about the potential tweaks that might make their way to GT5 than the competition itself since my country is excluded.

Ability to adjust the volume of sfx and music on the race pause menu was the only change I noticed.

Top Bottom