• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Release Date: May 16, 2014

Squishy3

Smash Bros is going to be coming earlier than people suspected. Brawl came out about a year and a half after the Wii came out, so I can imagine the same kind of release area for this one. Late Q1/Early Q2 is my guess. The game has also been in development since May 2012, so yeah.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
To defend my reason to make a thread based on that because I recalled that I have heard of rumors about Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8's release dates a month or couple of months ago.

SSB4 - May 2014 and Mario Kart - April 2014.

However, please take it with grain of salts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
IIRC some Nintendo games have been launching on Friday's correct?

Doubt this is likely because we probably won't get Zelda U next fall. They'll need this.

Yeah considering they already have Mario Kart in the spring, they don't need Smash Bros. as well. Dropping the Wii U's 2 biggest games within 2 months of one another would likely be a mistake.

SuperSah

Banned
Remember Brawl released a month before Mario Kart Wii.

It's not impossible, but really unlikely.

As long as both versions release some point next year, i'm happy.

To defend my reason to make a thread based on that because I recalled that I have heard of rumors about Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8's release dates a month or couple of months ago.

SSB4 - May 2014 and Mario Kart - April 2014.

However, please take it with grain of salts.

I think it was NOE that let slip that it was April, it was on twitter IIRC, I made a thread, I'll check.

Edit: Found it, not NOE specifically, but seemingly from Nintendo in EU somewhere (not sure of the language):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608141

Squishy3

Nah, needs another e3.
Not with Directs. They can make whatever announcements they need to with those. The same people who will likely pay attention to something like E3 would be paying attention to the Directs as well. I mean, they announced X in a Nintendo Direct in February.

antonz

I always figured April or May. They aren't going to sit on this until fall. I can see them desperately hoping this holiday begins a turn around then Feb release DK. March or April release Mario Kart then in May or so slam the juggernaut of Smash Bros out.

We'll definitely get it before 2015, assuming the game doesn't hit production delays.

Iwata is specifically rushing development to boost the Wii U's lineup.

But I agree...May 2014 is way too early, unless they're making this game light in content compared to previous iterations.

Sandfox

Haha no, Smash is going to be the big 2014 fall release.

That depends on whatever else Nintendo is working on.

We'll definitely get it before 2015, assuming the game doesn't hit production delays.

Iwata is specifically rushing development to boost the Wii U's lineup.

But I agree...May 2014 is way too early, unless they're making this game light in content compared to previous iterations.

Well the game supposed to be a 2014 title and I guess it really depends on how many people they have working on it.

MisterHero

I'm not crazy about extra features, but it feels like it will be an ultra lean game if it's that soon. I can wait if we get more characters and stages.

ASIS

Don't get cynicism, it happened before. Plus Zelda 2014 also seems pretty likely.

We need a Direct, sooner than later.

ezekial45

Banned
Bullshit. I figure they'd want to wait for another E3 at least to give the Wii U another marketing/publicity push. SSB is gonna be a big hit, and I think the press at another E3 will be of help to them.

Muzy72

Banned
No way in hell. Unless Zelda U somehow manages to release in fall 2014 (it won't), there is no way Smash isn't their big November release.

Sendou

Is it unreasonable? They have Namco helping them out this time and the development seems to be going nicely enough.

antonz

Bullshit. I figure they'd want to wait for another E3 at least to give the Wii U another marketing push.

They need to try and keep whatever boost they gain from the holidays and try to keep that train rolling. I expect a somewhat heavy first half as far as 1st party titles then a weaker 2nd half with X and Zelda being the key 2nd half titles.

I'm not crazy about extra features, but it feels like it will be an ultra lean game if it's that soon. I can wait if we get more characters and stages.

Exactly.

Ever since Mario Kart 7 came out with a light amount of content (it felt a bit rushed), I'm worried that Iwata is prioritizing early releases over bulky games for their core IPs.

Top Bottom