• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I didn't file taxes for 2009, can't get a PIN to efile, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I didn't file my taxes for 2009 because I made like 1,000 dollars and didn't care. Didn't think you had to file if you didn't have to pay in anything. Now I'm set to get 1200 back this year but can't complete my efile because they need my 2009 PIN. Whoops. Do I have to file by paper? Can I file at all without having done my 2009 taxes? Halp!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yeah, you're going to owe a penalty for not filing.

Edit: actually, you may not owe a penalty, but you should still file a return for last year just to be safe.

Celsior

yeah you probably will not owe that much in penalties since you only made 1000 that year.

Back taxes are a bitch

mre said:
Yeah, you're going to owe a penalty for not filing.

Edit: actually, you may not owe a penalty, but you should still file a return for last year just to be safe.

No you dont need to file under a certain amount. if he had money withheld then he's missing out on getting that back, though. You will have to mail in your return.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i couldnt imagine the penalty to be too much off of $1000. Thats like what, you had a refund of $150 or something for 2009 if you had filed? If it were up to me id consider what you did a civic duty because the government made interest off the money it owed you.

subrock

in canada you can choose to not file for up to 3 years as long as you dont owe. if you owe, they charge you some measly percentage on it per month. aint no thang.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
StopMakingSense said:
No you dont need to file under a certain amount. if he had money withheld then he's missing out on getting that back, though.

True enough.

totowhoa

Banned
Far as I know, you have to file by paper, but I could be wrong. I've not been in this situation and that's the only solution I can think of. In the future, I recommend filing even if you only make a grand (even though you aren't required). At the very least, you could start a free tax file online and see if you're owing or not and bail out if you owe before you actually file, if you wanted to go that route. You probably wouldn't owe, though. I've never made *that* little, but I've never had to owe as a low-income employee either (lowest point being about 9.5k). But I'd recommend always filing no matter what, of course. I always have, and things have always been both beneficial and smooth.

As long as you're making under the standard deduction you are not required to file as long as all your income is reported on a w-2. The standard deduction for the 2010 tax season is 9350 (for singles with no kids) dollars, can't remember if it was different in 2009 but if you only made 1000 dollars, you are not required to file. You may want to file, as you may be eligible for some credits like the making work pay credit, or earned income credit. Your going to have to mail in your 2009 return if you choose to file it. Your tax PIN is typically 1 plus the last 4 digits of your SSN. For example, if your ssn is 555-55-5555, your tax PIN would be 15555. I'm not certain if it will work, but you might want to try that for your 2010 return.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Another question, in doing my taxes online, it said I was getting back everything that I put in, including medicare and social security. In the past I didn't get my medicare or social security money back. Is this a mistake? I made less than 9k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom