• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Decadence - Fallout with Swords

robin2

Good. Awaiting for comments.

There is something I never understood about this game: are there monsters too or just humans?

Almighty

Its hard so far. Though that might because it has been a long, long time since I played a turn based RPG like this one. All i know is I have died more times already then I have in practically any recent RPG i can remember.

I am enjoying it so far though playing as a mercenary.

ilikeme

Played some tonight.

I'm an aspiring Loremaster by the name Hilaria. I got killed once because I tried to fight and I am amazingly bad at it. (Both my character and me. I have no strength and very little hp. And my eyes ran backwards into my brain when they saw the massive (more than 1 paragraph) amount of text describing the Battles)

I'm super tired atm so maybe I'm just dumb because of that, but it's kind of hard to make progress. It's cool so far though, I like what I'm seeing! I feel like I've made my own story so far so to speak. Haven't loaded after any mistakes (well except dying), and it's fun to try stuff, fail, learn more about the world and know that next time something comes up I'll be able to make a better informed decision. Looking forward to learning more about the world and systems in place.

There is one thing though, when you "finish" conversations/quests etc. you are sometimes magically and quite abrubtly transported to places, sometimes quite illogically.

Oh well, too tired for more commenting, but positive experience so far!

Great music, too! think it's been two tracks so far. One for the town, - Teros? - and one for battle.

Also, the writing. Enjoying it, even it's quite dry so far. I like the one character that I've talked to - Dellar - who has gotten some *slight* depth, and there were some hints (that I found out by actually doing stuff, it wasn't just fed to me) that something more is going on with another character.

Furthermore! Pretty frequent stat-checks, always good. I persuadedeered some guys

And what I tried of the battle system before death got to me was pretty fun.

+ also the pictures for items and the character portraits. Stylin'.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
is the game supposed to be that hard? I mean I can't even complete the first fight in assassins guild. That means killing one man.

peakish

is the game supposed to be that hard? I mean I can't even complete the first fight in assassins guild. That means killing one man.
ITS is supposedly all about kicking players in the nuts until they learn. But seriously, are you familiar with the combat system and options? If not, hitting F1 brings up an ingame manual for this and other stuff.

subversus

I'll die one more time and shelve this game forever, old-school or not.

ITS is supposedly all about kicking players in the nuts until they learn. But seriously, are you familiar with the combat system and options? If not, hitting F1 brings up an ingame manual for this and other stuff.

yes, I use a wide range of attacks.

subversus

I died three more times (about 12 times total) using various tactics including this throwing net and shelved this game forever.

also they could at least include autosave before combat. Starting a new game every time you got killed is tiring. and this was the first guard, lol.

Almighty

This game is pretty close to be too hard for me as well.

I kept dying with my mercenary in the first fight. It was also against one man god it was hard. I eventually decided to avoid that fight peacefully. The next fight I got into was actually pretty easy and it was against two. So I assume that they game is trying to tell me that some fights are best to not start at all. At least i assume til you get to a decent "level".

Haven't played the assassin yet so don't know if you can avoid that fight.

subversus

Well now I am curious. I will have to start an assassin tonight.

I'll try making my assassin persuasive as hell to avoid this fight. Just out of curiousity.

but this is bullshit. The game isn't supposed to force me into some strict build. What about multiple approaches then?

peakish

yeah, knowing this crowd I imagine what kind of response I will receive if I complain that the game is too hard.
Lol, too true. But the auto save complaint has merit and should be brought up.

Anyway, did you guys play the combat beta? It was hard, but you (at least I) did get better, quite rapidly even. To the point where I flew through the first,easier encounters that I had had a lot of problems with first. The harder encounters kept being that though I got them with some builds.

Point is, if you're still new to this you will get better. There is tons of room for improvement if you stick with it. This is in contrast to most RPG's, modern or not, that almost never challenge you in non-boss fights.

I'll try making my assassin persuasive as hell to avoid this fight. Just out of curiousity.

but this is bullshit. The game isn't supposed to force me into some strict build. What about multiple approaches then?
Your multiple approach is to choose between getting better at fights or avoiding them, lol.

Man, I want to try this for myself right now. Back to exam prep so I can install Windows later today I guess...

subversus

yeah, persuasion worked, I avoided the fight (AND FINALLY SAVED). But still this is bullshit.

It's a shame because I like the tone of the game. And writing seems to be not aimed at idiots. I'll continue but this autosave feature should be included.

How I was fighting (assassin background):

1)used the combination of normal and fast attacks the first time. His armor completely absorbed all fast attacks and mostly absorbed normal attacks. (had increased daggers and dodging in stats)
2)tried aiming at his hands + power attack after that. So he dropped the weapon and lost one attack out of two but still it wasn't enogh to bring him down. (had increased daggers and dodging in stats)
3)tried using the net and it worked only once but AI seemed good so he didn't approach me close and I had to lose one turn to get close to him and then attack him. Still it ended bad. (had increased daggers and dodging in stats)
4)tried hitting him in the head, chest, legs and so on with no tangible result.(had increased daggers and dodging in stats)

Emitan

Beat the first assassin fight on my second try. Threw my crossbow at him to get an advantage and used the Dagger Flurry ability every turn. Really easy.

Almighty

Got him. Took a few tries. Don't want to sound like i am bragging though. It was close so i am sure i still suck and can do much better with more practice.

I ended up maxed dexterity and picked the option to stab the guy or distract him whatever the dexterity check was. Ended up working and it took down half his health when the fight started. Was close, but got him from there.

Edit.

Also had a good laugh since when you play as a mercenary you are the guy you fight as the assassin. I just let the assassin go as my merc because i kept getting my ass kicked.

Almighty

Beat the first assassin fight on my second try. Threw my crossbow at him to get an advantage and used the Dagger Flurry ability every turn. Really easy.

I tried that and well died. The dagger flurry never seemed to do any damage for me. I would land like three or four hits and all of them would be absorbed by his armor.

Almighty

how can you "throw" your crossbow?

It's one of the speech check options. If it works you throw you crossbow and stab him with a bolt in the neck. Takes him down to half health really useful, but at least for me I needed 10 dexterity for it to even work.

Emitan

well, I did it too. I also persuaded him, but it's not combat. Try to fight him, lol.
I did fight him. He just starts with less health.

I tried that and well died. The dagger flurry never seemed to do any damage for me. I would land like three or four hits and all of them would be absorbed by his armor.

Were you using the stronger dagger? All of my hits were doing decent damage.

subversus

It's one of the speech check options. If it works you throw you crossbow and stab him with a bolt in the neck. Takes him down to half help really useful, but at least for me I needed 10 dexterity for it to even work.

yes, as I said it's not combat.

I almost ended him with dagger fury btw not using this crossbow copout or persuasion. Also while I maxed out my dexterity I still have only 11 AP. I wonder if some item gives me penalty.

Emitan

ffs don't complain combat is too hard if you refuse to take the option that reduces your enemy's health by half

robin2

I almost ended him with dagger fury btw not using this crossbow copout or persuasion. Also while I maxed out my dexterity I still have only 11 AP. I wonder if some item gives me penalty.
Hum in the old combat demo, my dexterity-based (spear+dodge) build didn't wear almost any armor *. So check any armor you may have for an eventual penality.

*I was like this:

Almighty

Wait I am confused. Are you saying you refuse to use that option even if you can and just want to straight up fight him? If so well to each his own, but remember your guy is an assassin(presumably a rookie assassin at that) in light armor going against a warrior in better armor. I would use what ever you can to your advantage personally.

Anyway you were right Billychu I was using the weaker dagger. Once I switched to the more powerful one combined with the crossbow distraction I pretty much wiped the floor with him.

Emitan

Uh... that actually puts the game in negative light; that an avenue of gameplay is cut-off or implausible.

It's an option that becomes available if your Dexterity and/or Critical Strike skill is high enough. Why would an Assassin character not be building those stats?

subversus

ffs don't complain combat is too hard if you refuse to take the option that reduces your enemy's health by half

You don't have this option because you have to max out dexterity for that (I have tried to throw a crossbow at him with 9 dexterity out of 10 and failed). Same goes for persuasion. Besides that what if I consider both options too risky and go for the plain fight? I like RPGs because they offer me options, not funnel me into some decision. I mean I can understand if the game offers high skill checks later in the game but not in the beginning when you have to simply try to guess the build instead of learning mechanics and start building your character based on what you have learned.

Emitan

The game builds your character for you when you pick a class. I didn't modify my core stats at all and threw the crossbow at him.

EDIT: Okay, success is random? That's fucking stupid. I'm going to complain about this on their forums tomorrow. Success shouldn't be a percentage because that just encourages reloading saves.

Almighty

You don't have this option because you have to max out dexterity for that (I have tried to throw a crossbow at him with 9 dexterity out of 10 and failed). Same goes for persuasion. Besides that what if I consider both options too risky and go for the plain fight? I like RPGs because they offer me options, not funnel me into some decision. I mean I can understand if the game offers high skill checks later in the game but not in the beginning when you have to simply try to guess the build instead of learning mechanics and start building your character based on what you have learned.

Oh okay I understand where you are coming from now. I can't say I completely disagree either.

The game builds your character for you when you pick a class. I didn't modify my core stats at all and threw the crossbow at him.

Yeah I tried that twice and both times it failed. I will have to see what you have to have your critical at because dex had to be at ten for me if i didn't change the critical stat.

Edit
Well surprise I put up my crit strike only by five or six and it works then a few dagger flurries and he was dead. Didn't change my core stats at all.

Emitan

Fuck, it does require 10 DEX. What a stupid decision. Never mind everything I said. This is all Iron Tower's fault for setting the skill requirement too high.

subversus

EDIT: Okay, success is random? That's fucking stupid. I'm going to complain about this on their forums tomorrow. Success shouldn't be a percentage because that just encourages reloading saves.

you will get flamed hard because it's called dice rolls and it's a foundation of every old CRPG.

I tried my default assassin build which the game offered me with 34 in sneak and increased daggers + lockpicking (these stats make sense for rogue) and failed hard at throwing the crossbow at him and the subsequent fight.

Emitan

Percentages work fine for PnP games, but not for video games. I passed a 1% chance speech check in Fallout 3 by reloading my game for half an hour. It's completely amateur.

Is the dialogue where you get that speech check to throw crossbow avoidable?
It's always an option along with a Persuade to skip the fight, and one that just attacks him.

subversus

Is the dialogue where you get that speech check to throw crossbow avoidable?

you can choose not to throw anything or not to persuade him but you will end up fighting him.

Percentages work fine for PnP games, but not for video games. I passed a 1% chance speech check in Fallout 3 by reloading my game for half an hour. It's completely amateur.

it works like that in every RPG, even the modern one. You will get flamed hard.

Almighty

Okay, success is random? That's fucking stupid. I'm going to complain about this on their forums tomorrow. Success shouldn't be a percentage because that just encourages reloading saves.

Agreed with this.

Are we sure it is random though? I set my crit to only 35 from a start of 31 and succeeded 5 times in a row. So it must require a really low critical strike skill. Lower then I thought at first or I have been lucky.

Also people remember this is a beta. Now I am going to try and just fight him no tricks or persuasion.

Lancehead

Well, that's further bad design. That the game gives you an all-out combat option yet makes it apparently very difficult. If the game said all-out combat is not an option, that you have to go through one of these checks, then that's better design even if it is reducing the number of viable builds. At least the options given to you work.

Anyway, I'd rather not comment further before playing.

Emitan

I think I modified the build to have 10 DEX when I beat him, which would mean the skill system is probably set values which is awesome. They really need to lower the threshold to 9 DEX though.

subversus

Agreed with this.

Are we sure it is random though? I set my crit to only 35 from a start of 31 and succeeded 5 times in a row. So it must require a really low critical strike skill. Lower then I thought at first or I have been lucky.

Also people remember this is a beta. Now I am going to try and just fight him no tricks or persuasion.

I tried fighting him with 38 in crits (used flurry + power strikes) and increased daggers and failed hard again.

also I had my first success at throwing my bow at 9DX. 1 successful try out of 5, not bad, lol.

I could understand it all if it wasn't THE FIRST GUARD.

Top Bottom