• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

chadskin

Nintendo of Europe says that Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

What's more, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe - beating the previous record holder Wii Sports (which was bundled with the hardware).

The firm points out that this was achieved during a 'traditionally quiet time for the games industry'.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...beat-wii-over-two-days-in-the-americas-report

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_launch

On December 12, 2006, sales data analysis firm Chart-Track and Nintendo confirmed with several press outlets in the United Kingdom that the Wii had become the fastest selling video game console in the region's recorded history, selling 105,000 consoles in its opening weekend, trumping the previous record holder, Xbox 360, which posted sales numbers of 70,000 units.[48] Nintendo announced on the following day that the Wii had sold 325,000 units across Europe in its first two days of sale, making it the fastest selling console across the entire European continent.[49]

Switch is awesome. It deserves all the success it can get.

Really glad Nintendo went in this direction. Over time, launch flaws will disappear and all that remains will be a truly wonderful console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is damn good even more so considering the price.

Now only to hold off decently well until the Fall.

DjRalford

This is damn good even more so considering the price.

Now only to hold off decently well until the Fall.

It depends how people look at the price

£280 may be a lot for a seemingly underpowered home console, or even a portable, but £280 for both is exceptional value, even more so when you only have to buy a game once to play it either way.

Irminsul

So is the PS4 the number 1 then? And Switch is 2?
I just went to see whether there's data on the PS4 in the same style (i.e., Europe-wide for the first weekend), seems there isn't. Then we would have a better estimate, because if Switch sold better than the PS4 in Europe, they would probably mention that.

I just went to see whether there's data on the PS4 in the same style (i.e., Europe-wide for the first weekend), seems there isn't. Then we would have a better estimate, because if Switch sold better than the PS4 in Europe, they would probably mention that.

Would Nintendo even know?

phanphare

Banned
Soft launch strategy seems to work, they better have killer apps for this holiday.

well Zelda won't disappear, I imagine most new purchasers will pick that one up. plus Mario Odyssey in the fall. I also imagine Mario Kart 8D will be bundled by fall. plus all the other stuff that releases/gets announced between now and then.

jokkir

I like how I can detach the screen and put it into one pocket of my jacket and then just put the controllers somewhere else.

dealer-

Yep people seem genuinely excited about the Switch. More buzz around the hardware and having Zelda at launch is huge. Nice turnaround from the Wii U.

TS-08

As a a Switch owner, I'm surprised. Things looking good though.

Wii U numbers fears subsiding, next target - Gamecube.

I was only willing to initially predict that the Switch might do a little better than the GameCube, but I don't see how it doesn't blow by it at this point.

E-phonk

Banned
Crazy that it isn't higher lol
But I suppose that 91% doesn't count digital copies, so it should be at almost 100%.

Numbers are from Nintendo PR, so I would assume including digital.
France:
Zelda BOTW 96.000 (switch)
Zelda BOTW 34.000 (wii U)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Great news, I want this to do well as I'll never get a new Metroid otherwise. Quite happy with console, Zelda should tide me over nicely till Mario Kart, which I can't wait for as I never owned a Wii-U. Speaking of which I'd kill for a Mario 3D world port.

well Zelda won't disappear, I imagine most new purchasers will pick that one up. plus Mario Odyssey in the fall. I also imagine Mario Kart 8D will be bundled by fall. plus all the other stuff that releases/gets announced between now and then.

My fear is that there won't be anything of significance in the first year aside from these 3 games, as I have no interest in Splatoon.

Gurish

Is it too early to bring up my prediction thread yet? ;)

Seriously now I'm really surprised by this, and if it will keep it that way, 90% of Gaf are gonna eat huge crows.

Soft launch strategy seems to work, they better have killer apps for this holiday.

Well, they'll have Zelda and Mario for sure, obviously. And a Mario Kart for a new install base and Splatoon 2. Hopefully they can fill in at least one major third-party slot, maybe FIFA / some other sports entry as well. Zelda and Mario Odyssey is a hell of a holiday package though.

Someone mentioned in another thread that Nintendo managed to make Zelda "cool" again with Breath of the Wild. It's only just come out, and that kind of thing is highly subjective, but if Zelda *does* end up being "in" again as a widely popular mainstream video game property, that raises the profile of other Nintendo evergreen properties too. Not that Mario has ever not been popular, but people taking notice of Zelda again makes people take notice of Mario (and Nintendo in general) even more.

Intel_89

Good, more sales = more reasons for 3rd parties to care about the system. I didn't pick one up at launch but plan to do so before the end of this year, we'll see if by then the Switch manages to build a meatier library of games.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It was you, Europe.

You were the Nintendo all along.

Top Bottom