• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Aggrotek

Probably not, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's not familiar to us, and that's why, at first thought, it doesn't fit well. Not saying I can't get used to the idea, but when a franchise has, for ten years, been with a human race that's very much like today's society, it does come off a bit silly. "Oh yeah, they fight with guns, jeeps, ATVs, helicopters, bullets, rockets, nukes, railguns, missiles, and...mechs – wait, what?"

The Cyclops is Halo canon right? And that precedes even H1.

Slaker117

The Mantis looks fun. A bit worried that it might be OP, but thinking about it as a more agile tank-like vechile rather than its own thing makes it more inline with Halo's sandbox in my mind. Ragnarok is great looking as well.

TheOddOne

I love Valhalla, and want to be awesome in Halo 4. And the Mantis looks great. I think I'm too pessimistic about BTB in Halo 4 to get too excited until I've played it, but it sure looks fun. Color me very cautiously optimistic. (My daughter while watching the video: "It looks like the one from Avatar!")
Can't unsee now.

Probably not, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's not familiar to us, and that's why, at first thought, it doesn't fit well. Not saying I can't get used to the idea, but when a franchise has, for ten years, been with a human race that's very much like today's society, it does come off a bit silly. "Oh yeah, they fight with guns, jeeps, ATVs, helicopters, bullets, rockets, nukes, railguns, missiles, and...mechs – wait, what?"

I know this comment may seem a bit silly if you consider half-ton soldiers running around with super advanced technology, but when all things considered I think it's just a bit out of place. It's not outside their technological range, but it doesn't give me "practical" in the UNSC sense.
Kind of like Aliens, where all the Marines were still using guns, ATVs, things that looked like Pelicans, bullets, shotguns, nukes, railguns, missiles, and...mechs.

I just don't think that creating a powerful vehicle, and then letting everyone spawn with plasma pistols sounds like a good idea. It's Jaime Griesemer's tank/mine analogy verbatim. Plasma pistols on spawn is one of the main reasons I'm nervous about BTB.
I really like Griesemer's articles, and I'm extremely interested to see how those theories are put to the test in Halo 4.

CaptainABAB

It appears that the Halo 4: Limited Edition is sold out online. Does this mean it is completely sold out? Or is there a chance that copies will be available day one or later?

Talents

Banned
I just don't think that creating a powerful vehicle, and then letting everyone spawn with plasma pistols sounds like a good idea. It's Jaime Griesemer's tank/mine analogy verbatim. Plasma pistols on spawn is one of the main reasons I'm nervous about BTB.

I think it's good. Now at least people won't be in vehicles for the whole game, just cheapens the game when you can't even set foot outside the base without 2 warthogs, a banshee and a tank on your ass.

GhaleonEB

I think it's good. Now at least people won't be in vehicles for the whole game, just cheapens the game when you can't even set foot outside the base without 2 warthogs, a banshee and a tank on your ass.

That's one possible outcome. The other is that everyone is rocking a plasma pistol secondary in BTB and vehicles are not nearly as much fun as they should be as a result.

Sai-kun

Banned
Is this a good sentiment or a bad one?

I really want to like it, but until I get my hands on it I don't think I'll be able to. I trust Frankie, so I believe him when he says it's not OP, but video evidence sort of says otherwise, and it just makes me nervous as hell to have a thing like that running around the maps. :/ It just doesn't seem like it'll be anything except a faster scorpion with more agility and versatility.

ElRenoRaven

That's one possible outcome. The other is that everyone is rocking a plasma pistol secondary in BTB and vehicles are not nearly as much fun as they should be as a result.

Yea my money is on the later. I have always hated that plasma pistol disable of vehicles. It just usually results in vehicles being useless.

Beckx

4v4 all Mantis Chromehounds gametype gooooo.

Want Spiker Mantis now.

Damn it. Is it November?

--------------------------------

Won't the Mantis suffer from the same design flaw that a real world mech would have? It's profile is too high, so it's easier to team shot the thing. I am not yet worried, but then again I'm a mech enthusiast so maybe I just want it to work.

You're making the assumption that the majority of players are smart enough to actually equip PPs in their loadouts. ;)

Ha! So true. In the elite ranges of MM, people will go anti-vehicle. One of the benefits of playing in the cheap seats. :)

Valhalla remake looks good but we'll see how good it plays in Halo 4's sandbox. Right now, I can see the long ranged rifles be a problem on the map.

Also, the mantis looks really cool, but I don't like the look of it on Valhalla. It just looks really of.

You're making the assumption that the majority of players are smart enough to actually equip PPs in their loadouts. ;)

I will probably ALWAYS have the PP in my BTB loadout, unless there is some instance where vehicles don't come into play (which would seem weird). If everyone on my team thinks the same way, it will seemingly stall vehicle combat to near inefficiency. Can't say that I'm enthusiastic about any more game-halting tactics, but there must be a variable that I'm not fully understanding or considering.

PP was part of a standard loadout with the Carbine in the build I played at RTX.

Well it is official I have at this moment started the Halo C.E. OST at work. I likely will be listening to all of the Soundtracks in order on loop from here on out. *Sings "The Halo Hype is gonna get ya" to the beat of the Gloria Estefan classic.*

TheOddOne

Ragnarok compilation video.

Edit: What the hell happened at the 56 second mark?!
iivFfMuwfTx0H.gif

"Hug it out, bro!"

Updated as per above game-play. Only thing I'm not sure about now is the location of the sticky detonators, the positions noted are only approximations.

ibuS7lSmFATIo3.png

I'm really happy that the same weapons appear to always spawn in the same place.

JaggedSac

I don't think Plasma Pistols on spawn are that big of a change to BTB. You were almost guaranteed one on Valhalla in the base. Then again, if you didn't spawn in the base, etc.

GhaleonEB

Yea my money is on the later. I have always hated that plasma pistol disable of vehicles. It just usually results in vehicles being useless.
I thought it was okay so long as they were very rare. On Valhalla, each base had one, and I think that was it. I think, given that it EMPs vehicles, it should be treated like a power weapon (and anything that can kill vehicles should be).

I will probably ALWAYS have the PP in my BTB loadout, unless there is some instance where vehicles don't come into play (which would seem weird). If everyone on my team thinks the same way, it will seemingly stall vehicle combat to near inefficiency. Can't say that I'm enthusiastic about any more game-halting tactics, but there must be a variable that I'm not fully understanding or considering.

PP was part of a standard loadout with the Carbine in the build I played at RTX.
Yeah, I'll be doing the same, because I like to kill vehicles. I'd rather be dealing frustration than receiving it. But I'm not sure I'll last long if it's as bad as I fear.

I think enough folks will figure it out, espeically if their team is getting wreaked by vehicles. If even 2-3 folks on a team know to spawn with PP's and use them, vehicle combat will take a major hit.

Vire

Looks nice, feeling a little uncertain about TWO of the Mantis's walking around....

The ground textures are a little weird stretched and blotchy, but the map still looks pretty.

Can't wait to play it.

I thought it was okay so long as they were very rare. On Valhalla, each base had one, and I think that was it. I think, given that it EMPs vehicles, it should be treated like a power weapon (and anything that can kill vehicles should be).

Yeah, I'll be doing the same, because I like to kill vehicles. I'd rather be dealing frustration than receiving it. But I'm not sure I'll last long if it's as bad as I fear.

I think enough folks will figure it out, espeically if their team is getting wreaked by vehicles. If even 2-3 folks on a team know to spawn with PP's and use them, vehicle combat will take a major hit.

I don't know, I think vehicular combat will still be ok in 4. Halo 3 had the laser, rockets, trip mines, power drains, missile pods, and plasma pistols on pretty much every BTB map and vehicles still could dominate. As long as the vehicles can't get blown away by a small breeze like in Reach(and everything I've read indicates Halo 4's vehicles are much more heavy) then I think it will be ok.

Updated as per above game-play. Only thing I'm not sure about now is the location of the sticky detonators, the positions noted are only approximations.

ibuS7lSmFATIo3.png

I'm really happy that the same weapons appear to always spawn in the same place.
A Incineration Cannon or Binary Rifle is dropping near your Rocket Launcher position. To add a detail: I haven't seen anyone from Blue base using the Railgun. I think instead of a Railgun they have a rocket launcher. But I am not sure. I only played Red side.

Just had a minor epiphany, mixed with déjà vu regarding deja view.
Halo Reach, Bungie announced Hemorrhage on Bungie Day 2010, then, soon after, they announced Hemorrhage was part of Forge World

343i just announced a Valhalla remake, and have mentioned forge information is coming soon....

Valhalla is a Forge Canvas.

Not sure many people would be very happy about this, another forerunner forge wouldn't really please the forging crowd. Also Valhalla was inspired by Blood Gulch like Hemorrhage. Hmmmm...

GhaleonEB

I don't know, I think vehicular combat will still be ok in 4. Halo 3 had the laser, rockets, trip mines, power drains, missile pods, and plasma pistols on pretty much every BTB map and vehicles still could dominate.
That's because those things were doled out in moderation. On Valhalla, you got a power drain, a plasma pistol and a missile pod in the base, and none of those were instant win buttons - you had to deploy them correctly. Vehicles were reasonably beefy, as well.

As long as the vehicles can't get blown away by a small breeze like in Reach(and everything I've read indicates Halo 4's vehicles are much more heavy) then I think it will be ok.

I still think letting (potentially) every player in the game use a weapon that stops vehicles dead* will have material implications for vehicle/infantry balance.

343 looks to have tried to address this in two ways: adding the perk that prevents vehicles from coming to a complete halt when tagged by an EMP if the driver has selected it (thus the *), and adding very powerful vehicles into default maps, such as the Mantis. It could be that vehicle roles are tilted somewhat to provide potent bursts of firepower, before they are overwhelmed by heavy ordnance and EMP pulses. That could work. But at this point it sounds like the kind of "balancing" that got us BTB Heavies.

I realize how negative I sound, but I really want to eat crow on this one come November 6th. Reach's BTB was a disaster, and I've dearly missed the mode, as it's my love in Halo MP. So I see things like this as red flags.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

ibuS7lSmFATIo3.png

Took the liberty of some edits to notify folks of BTB flaws if they do not equip a Plasma Pistol in their load outs.

A4IhQKYCEAIKB4x.jpg

Should have just named them "Rage Quit Zones".

Did you get a chance to use the PP when you played? I remember it having a pretty big reduction in overshot tracking, but alas I didn't get to interact with any vehicles.

soon.

Tawpgun

I hope the plasma pistol as a loadout isn't being used as a valid counter to OP vehicles.

Because if you can put plasma pistols in loadouts then BTB is done.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Took the liberty of some edits to notify folks of BTB flaws if they do not equip a Plasma Pistol in their load outs.

A4IhQKYCEAIKB4x.jpg

Should have just named them "Rage Quit Zones".

I don't get this. Are people saying that without a PP we will get owned by the Mantis? I don't see that happening. As far as I can tell it's just a slightly more mobile tank. Unless you are right next to the thing it seems pretty inaccurate at a distance too. Seems like you'll be able to take it out just fine.

Oozer3993

It appears that the Halo 4: Limited Edition is sold out online. Does this mean it is completely sold out? Or is there a chance that copies will be available day one or later?

Ever since it was announced, I've treated it like the Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition. I've just assumed it would be nearly sold out Day 1. You might still be able to find a copy at Best Buy or Walmart on Day 1, but I wouldn't take any chances past that.

Well it is official I have at this moment started the Halo C.E. OST at work. I likely will be listening to all of the Soundtracks in order on loop from here on out. *Sings "The Halo Hype is gonna get ya" to the beat of the Gloria Estefan classic.*

Miami Sound Machine fo lyfe.

I really don't like the idea of selecting something in your loadout to counter something else. isn't that the rock-paper-scissor gameplay so many people hate?

"Oh, if I equip a plasma pistol as my secondary, those pesky vehicles won't bother me most of the time!''

''I'll just equip the wheelman modification so those stupid plasma pistols won't hurt me as much''

That just doesn't sound like fun to me.

Top Bottom