• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 11/19/09 - Phoenix Wright (Wiiware), NMH (PS360)

rpmurphy

JavyOO7 said:
Not sure why the sequel to NMH isn't getting released to PS3/360 at the same time the Wii version is. Maybe I just have too high of sales expectations for the game...
It's a test game. :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
a 19 pages blow out for FFXIII? Not too long ago there was a 20 pages blow out or something... I think the 40/40 is pretty much confirmed at this point.

faridmon

EXGN said:
Eye of Judgment: Wizard's Orcacle[Google translation] for PSP.

Also, kinda disappointing to hear NMH PS3 is launching in February - that's before the motion wands hit. Hopefully they have some sort of support for that.
whoa. guys forget about NMH, PW or Lufia. This is the real Megaton for me.
I haven't played the PS3 one but i can't wait for this one.

HYPE.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow @ the NMH discussion. Not sure why it'd be Japan-only, RSG is part of MMV and will release it in Europe and even if they don't it's not like Ubisoft says no to easy ports. It's nice to see that more people will get to experience the game. I doubt I'll be picking it up again my-self unless there a significant reason to.

I want to see more of Lufia, I guess this explains why Masahide Miyata was only credited as the series director for Rune Factory Frontier and 3. I want to see more!

While it's kind of hard to judge off of the scans, the pictures in the article for No More Heroes HD don't really look any different from the Wii version. There's no discernible improvement shown. I'll buy the PS3 version when it hits North America, I love the original and its sequel is easily my most highly anticipated console game at the moment, but I can see this up-port being a recipe for disaster if there aren't some substantial improvements made to the overworld. There's simply so many openworld games on the HD consoles.The traffic needs better collision detection so the Schpeltiger isn't bouncing off of massive collision detection boxes that extend far outside of the models. I think they could get away with a lot in the environment if they improved textures, draw distance, frame rate and density. Some models do need to improve but they could probably keep a lot of their existing work.

Some elements should be easier to upgrade, the existing meshes for the main characters could be used as base meshes for some newly created normal maps. They could increase the poly count a bit, tweak the weighting to get some better deformations but the models as they are are really nice, or at least I think they are. They could create some higher resolution textures and maybe add some more elements that could have secondary/overlapping animation on them, like Travis' hair in Desperate Struggle. Man it would be awesome to have a prettier, more tightly polished No More Heroes.

Still, I think I would miss the motion controls (unless this is built for the wand, this would be a reason to buy it!) and moments like how the wiimote's speaker was used to break the 4th wall. I remember how absurd and giddy I felt when I held my wiimote to my ear to have a cel phone conversation with Silvia.

AniHawk

Nirolak said:
There is no console war to be had over Lufia.

Well, that and few people have played Lufia. I almost got Lufia II for $5, but it was sold to someone else about 15 minutes earlier.

vareon

Nirolak said:
There is no console war to be had over Lufia.

The scans of it made it look great though. I'd love to see more.

Well people could complain it not being on PSP or something.

My only worry is the 3D stuff. I'd personally prefer 2D sprites to Lufia, but then again I don't know anything else about this game.

Shouta

I think it's because the last two Lufia "games" for the GBC and GBA were generally pretty awful. Action RPG does have a part in it though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jaundicejuice said:
Maybe people are ambivalent about a Lufia revival because it's an action rpg and Lufai is a pretty low key franchise.
Well, once we started banning people for complaining about titles going to handhelds, the amount of posts about handheld games plummeted as a whole.

While there are a few handheld enthusiasts on GAF, by and far the forum population is geared toward console gaming.

Lufia may have an especially dead response, but as a whole it's not much worse than the vast majority of high quality DS and PSP games.

I don't know, I read and participate in a fair number of threads about handheld rpgs (mainly DS) and haven't really noticed any significant drop off, aside from Aeana no longer appearing in DQ and Ys threads. If you do a search for games like The World Ends With You or the Etrian Odysseys you'll find fairly substantial threads with thousands of posts.

Edit: Although interest in DQ seems to have dropped off back to its usual level the further away we get from the announcement of DQ:IX being a DS title. You got a point there, I guess.

farnham

Banned
RelentlessRolento said:
man... more reason to sell my wii.

I'll sell my Wii after I play NMH2 and Monster Hunter Tri... I dont think I'll go back to it after that.
interesting

i didnt feel like selling my 360 just because call of duty 4 was comming to the wii

CO_Andy

cvxfreak said:
Surprised at the lack of test jokes for Phoenix Wright on Wii.
Cause we all know the franchise has been whored out to every platform imaginable beforehand? Cellphones, PC, GBA, DS, iphone...

Zen

Banned
chandoog said:
Thank you Suda 51 and Co for the NMH news, definitely one of the few titles I'd have wanted a wii for.

Does it seem an error in Judgement to anyone else that they're announcing Paradis (An up port of NMH1) before NMH2DS is out? That sort of thing is what helped burn Viewtiful Joe 2 back in the day.

...I guess the PS3 version could have a ready made truncated version of the motion controls via the SixAxis sensor.

Kozak

Banned
Thank god for NMH on Ps3/360.

I couldn't do it on Wii..The game was obviously made for button mashing.

I'm sorry if Wii fans disagree but I own both a Ps3 and Wii and definitely feel that the game was meant for Ps3/360.

Kozak said:
Thank god for NMH on Ps3/360.

I'm sorry if Wii fans disagree but I own both a Ps3 and Wii and definitely feel that the game was meant for Ps3/360.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jaundicejuice said:
I don't know, I read and participate in a fair number of threads about handheld rpgs (mainly DS) and haven't really noticed any significant drop off, aside from Aeana no longer appearing in DQ and Ys threads. If you do a search for games like The World Ends With You or the Etrian Odysseys you'll find fairly substantial threads with thousands of posts.

Edit: Although interest in DQ seems to have dropped off back to its usual level the further away we get from the announcement of DQ:IX being a DS title. You got a point there, I guess.
There definitely are some exceptions, but a lot of them are just driven from a few people talking about a game a whole lot. I mean, look at the posting list from the Etrian Odyssey 2 official thread for example:

Code:
slayn   	182
Yaweee 	        149
Pureauthor 	75
firex 	        69
jaundicejuice 	54
botticus 	44
Halycon 	42
Teasel 	        38
keanerie 	36
lyre   	        35
Dragona Akehi 	34
Man God 	34
Mejilan 	29
Althane 	25
charlequin 	24
Link1110 	18

By the 16th person we're already down to only 18 posts in the thread, and it keeps dropping pretty fast after that. The total number of posters in the thread as a whole is pretty low as well, even though it has over a thousand posts.

There's definitely an audience here, it's just rather small relative to the amount of console gaming posters. Throw in a series being a little more unknown and heading to handhelds and you've greatly reduced what small audience there was to actually talk about it.

Jonnyram

farnham said:
interesting

i didnt feel like selling my 360 just because call of duty 4 was comming to the wii
If you did, everyone would just point and laugh.
This is clearly a totally different scenario.
COD4 was a watered down port. NMH is an enhanced remake.

AniHawk

Jonnyram said:

If it's a remake it should look better than an upgraded port. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonnyram said:

Mildly enhanced port.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kozak said:

Which is why the waggling in the game was minimal?

Kozak said:

I don't follow. At all.

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
And would feature enhanced controls!

They couldn't wait for the new control methods. Maybe the upgraded sequel will do it so the kinks will be worked out by the time the third one comes out sometime in early 2012.

Magypsy23

Banned
Jonnyram said:

2ch says it's a port.
Looks like a port in the scans.
No mention anywhere of a remake.
Must be a port then.
A port.

farnham

Banned
Jonnyram said:
they are probably cutting all the motion stuff out

how is that an enhanced port..?

plus cod4 on the wii had all the extra content that was dlc... and got motion sensor and pointer controlls... how is that a watered down port..?

to be fair i dont know how the nmh port will be.. but from all of what ive heard about cod4 it seems to be a fairly good effort to port cod4 on the wii.. its just that its... (like the nmh port) 2 years later

i wouldnt really sell my 360 or my wii because some game comes out on another platform especially if that game is 2 years old (thats the case of nmh and cod4) thats all im saying

Jonnyram said:
If you can't tell the difference between scans and photos taken with a mobile phone, what authority do you have on the matter of ports and remakes?

port or remake what is the big difference..? if its a remake it is probably not going to be something like resident evil remake or mario all stars...

if its a port its guaranteed to - at least- look better then the original due to higher resolution...

AceBandage said:
What spinning, exactly?
I'd love more No More Heroes.
But let's take the facts.

1. We didn't know about this until this week, meaning it's obviously not Grasshopper making it, since they'd announce it in a similar way they announced NMH2.
2. It's only announced for Japan, and no info is given.
3. Grasshopper is already overloaded with NMH2 and their EA game. They don't have the money or manpower to do much with this game if they are making it.

Wow Ace, you are spilling your meltdown on to here also. The meltdown on Gamefaqs was pretty sad but everyone there knows how much of a Nintendo fanboy you are.

AniHawk said:
So they're both wrong?

Famitsu does refer to it as a "remake," although it's pretty clear that it's not up to full PS3 and Xbox 360 spec (I'm looking at the actual magazine, not the photos of the magazine).

Grasshopper Manufacturer is, by the way, listed as a "supervisor" role.

Jonnyram

Magypsy23 said:
2ch says it's a port.
Looks like a port in the scans.
No mention anywhere of a remake.
Must be a port then.
A port.
If you can't tell the difference between scans and photos taken with a mobile phone, what authority do you have on the matter of ports and remakes?

AndriaSang said:
Famitsu does refer to it as a "remake," although it's pretty clear that it's not up to full PS3 and Xbox 360 spec (I'm looking at the actual magazine, not the photos of the magazine).

Grasshopper Manufacturer is, by the way, listed as a "supervisor" role.

Perhaps Famitsu's "mixed up"? Has that happned before between port and remake?

And since Grasshopper's only the supervisor, who the developer, MMV in-house?

Danielsan

Happy to read that NMH is getting ported to the 360 and PS3.
NMH has always been one of the games that made think of buying a Wii.
I was too conflicted about the fact that the EU version had no blood and wether or not to import a US Wii to actually go through with a purchase (also money issues).
Now I can just import the US version of the game if the EU version gets censored again.
I'm still going to need that Wii for Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 + New Super Mario Bros though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So...umm...will NMH use the wand and/or natal? Or the regular controllers?

From the release date it looks like it's coming the week after the wand's release, so..?

Jonnyram

Magypsy23 said:
That's coz their English is horrible and they think リメイク is a fancy word for 移植.
To be honest, there's been a pretty thin line for this terminology this gen, but I believe Rez on XBLA and God of War 1/2 on PS3 are both referred to as HD remakes, so why would NMH be any different? Or is this terminology selective, based on which jacket you're wearing?

Hero of Legend said:
Perhaps Famitsu's "mixed up"? Has that happned before between port and remake?

And since Grasshopper's only the supervisor, who the developer, MMV in-house?

Japanese magazines tend to use the term "remake" loosely, so I'm always suspicious.

The magazine doesn't list a developer.

farnham

Banned
gofreak said:
So...umm...will NMH use the wand and/or natal? Or the regular controllers?

From the release date it looks like it's coming the week after the wand's release, so..?
that makes sense

but i guess it will support the normal controllers as well..

nmh 2 supports the classic controller too as far as i know

farnham

Banned
Jonnyram said:
To be honest, there's been a pretty thin line for this terminology this gen, but I believe Rez on XBLA and God of War 1/2 on PS3 are both referred to as HD remakes, so why would NMH be any different? Or is this terminology selective, based on which jacket you're wearing?
what was metroid prime triology (or the metroid new play control games in japan) called..? remake or port..?

Top Bottom