• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun [Sega CD] Fan Translation Project

cj_iwakura

Yep, we're doing this.

shadowrun-mcd.jpg

With the kickstarter building Shadowrun hype, what better time than now to get this rolling?

Most English speaking Shadowrun fans are pretty familiar with the SNES and Genesis versions, but there was a Mega CD installment released only in Japan that's completely different from the others. Created by Compile in conjunction with Group SNE, the role playing company that published the Shadowrun game books in Japan, the Mega CD version is part digital novel, part RPG.

The game is broken up into several chapters, and focuses on a group of four Shadowrunners in Tokyo, a long ways from the Seattle setting of the previous games. The investigation scenes are much like Snatcher, with a single still picture representing the location and little portraits of the people you can talk to. Everything is menu-based, but is all incredibly simple.

We're doing the script now, hacking is in the preliminary stages.

Here's some screens.

JP
lXNYI.jpg

sr2.jpg

sr1.jpg

sr3.jpg

sr4.jpg

sr5.jpg

sr6.jpg

sr7.jpg

sr8.jpg

sr9.jpg

sr10.jpg

sr11.jpg

As I've mentioned, the battles in the game are done in SRPG format, and before attacking, you roll dice to determine damage inflicted, and if the attack even hits at all.

sr12.jpg

It's some fun stuff.

sr13.jpg

sr14.jpg

sr15.jpg

sr16.jpg

sr17.jpg

sr18.jpg

sr19.jpg

US/Edits (Rough Stages)

od8VWNV.jpg

RLkZOKz.jpg

QyekMJ8.jpg

1Viq7OZ.jpg

BBwsIxA.jpg

vtFxf90.jpg

g69zUER.jpg

NSDWBeR.jpg

TyIn8gy.jpg

slhDhvb.jpg

QZ5bHHh.jpg

40sCrTQ.jpg

bNK33KR.jpg

tHJM9sk.jpg

tPD02Dt.jpg

bDCd2uA.jpg

I've long wanted to play this game in English. I'm honored to be a part of the project.

Hopefully you enjoy playing it as much as we'll enjoy working on it.

We'll keep you posted.

Aeana

Cool; I've always been kinda surprised that nobody ever translated this. It's a pretty good game, and I liked it a lot more than the other Shadowrun games I've played.

bengraven

Wow, I had no idea the CD version was so different. It doesn't look nearly as dark, more bright and colorful, though. I'm a bit wary, but I'd fucking play this in a heartbeat.

Subbed.

lordmrw

the day this comes out, however long it takes, every other game I'm playing gets put on hold, my website be damned.

cj_iwakura

What happened to Growlanser?

We never actually started that. It was merely under consideration.

This has actively begun, because we're collaborating with someone.

My next project after Shikigami hasn't begun, because Shikigami isn't done yet.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Wow, I had no idea the CD version was so different. It doesn't look nearly as dark, more bright and colorful, though. I'm a bit wary, but I'd fucking play this in a heartbeat.

Subbed.

It's based on the Japanese Shadowrun universe, which is substantially different to the regular western universe we're all familiar with.

I wonder if I will be able to burn this to a CDR, so I could play it on my real Sega CD? I still have my original 1st generation Genesis with Model 2 Sega CD.

geebee

Banned
Great to hear.. I've always wanted to play this version. Is this the same translation group that's working on the Soul Hackers translation(whatever happened to that, anyway?).

bengraven

It's based on the Japanese Shadowrun universe, which is substantially different to the regular western universe we're all familiar with.

Whaaaaaa...?

Edit: ah, okay, so Shadowrun PnP got popular in Japan so they made a manga that was more comical, but also featured heavier tech, aka "more Japanese".

cj_iwakura

What the heck, here's a teaser.
激怒の夜
The Night of Rage

魔法の覚醒に弾かれるように
テクノロジーもさまざまな奇跡
を産み出していった。
In the wake of the magical awakening,
technology also gives birth to a
number of miracles.

世界を牛耳る巨大企業のせめぎあい。
Giant, world-ruling Megacorps battle.

奇跡の産み出す光が明るくなるほど、投げかけられる影も濃くなっていく。
The brighter the light given off by the new miracles, the darker the shadows grow.

そして、2053年 <覚醒>による混乱を乗り切った日本は、
まさに巨大企業が
支配する国へと変貌していた。
2053: Japan, having weathered the chaos of the Awakening, has become a state controlled by Megacorps.

そんななか、東京は、製品の市場や実験場として、どの企業にも属さない中立都市となっていた。
Tokyo, unaffiliated with any corp, is a neutral city used as a market for products and a testing ground.

だがそれは、この街でいくつもの巨大企業がせめぎあうことを意味している。
But this neutrality also means that the city is a battleground for Megacorp rivalries.

辻斬り仕事
the first murder
3ヶ月後
Three months later

分かって貰えるだろうか?私には沢山の仲間がいる。
You get it, right? I have lots of friends.

魔力の恵みを受けない人には
信じられないかもしれない
Those not blessed with magic
may not believe it, but

そう街には沢山の力が隠されている。
There's a lot of power hidden in this city.
私がまだ触れたことのない力さえ 眠って。
Power that I haven't even touched yet.

kunonabi

Sounds awesome. Reminds me that I need to figure out how to join one of these fan-translation groups at some point.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Whaaaaaa...?

Edit: ah, okay, so Shadowrun PnP got popular in Japan so they made a manga that was more comical, but also featured heavier tech, aka "more Japanese".

Pretty much, yeah. From what I can gather, the manga ran as part of some RPG-oriented magazine and is pretty liberal with the Shadowrun setting.

The game itself is half Snatcher-style visual novel and half tabletop battles (well, not really, it feels more like Shining Force with dice rolls or something).

bubnbob

Banned
I wonder if the creators have played this one? Would be funny for them to experience it for the first time.

DiscoJer

I'm surprised they didn't go for a more Ghost in the Shell look. That's really one of the best visual representations of cyberpunk, period.

M3d10n

I wonder if I will be able to burn this to a CDR, so I could play it on my real Sega CD? I still have my original 1st generation Genesis with Model 2 Sega CD.

AFAIK every CD-ROM console up to the 3DO have no copy protection whatsoever. So you can rip the game, patch the ISO and burn it into a CD-R and it should work on standard units.

cj_iwakura

AFAIK every CD-ROM console up to the 3DO have no copy protection whatsoever. So you can rip the game, patch the ISO and burn it into a CD-R and it should work on standard units.

This is correct.

I wonder if the creators have played this one? Would be funny for them to experience it for the first time.

The creator made mention of it in the Kickstarter vid. I bet he's at least tried it.

That's pretty awesome, Shadowrun for Sega CD has been one of those games that I've always wanted to play... and in a more general sense, it'd be awesome to see a translation of a Japanese-language Sega CD game. There haven't been any, so far, but the system does have some games that would be interesting to play in English, like After Armageddon Gaiden, Illusion City, Arcus 1-2-3, Magical Girl Silky Lip, and some others. This one's definitely the most prominent of them, so it's a great starting point for Sega CD translations.

Yes, that's true -- every CD console before the Saturn and Playstation, and some after them too like the Jaguar CD and Neo-Geo CD, have no copy protection. Far too few people owned CD burners at that point for them to have to bother, the medium alone was copy protection.

Oh I know these systems don't have any real copy protection. But I was wondering if the hacked ROM will still run without any issues. Sometimes these hacked ROMs that work fine under emulation might have issues running on the real hardware for various reasons. That's what I was getting at. But I'm sure it will be tested to work... I really want to play this one too.

cj_iwakura

Oh I know these systems don't have any real copy protection. But I was wondering if the hacked ROM will still run without any issues. Sometimes these hacked ROMs that work fine under emulation might have issues running on the real hardware for various reasons. That's what I was getting at. But I'm sure it will be tested to work... I really want to play this one too.

I have a Model 2, so I'll definitely be testing it.

Nice. I've had a copy of Shadowrun for MCD for, like, ever. Could never play it for shit due to all of the inconvenient Japanese text, so I look forward to this happening.

AWesome. Loved Shadowrun on the SNES. such an amazing RPG which really needed a proper cyberpunk sequel. The only close thing we had was Deus Ex.

Love rocking my Shadowrun team with Shamans etc - such an amazing game.

Superb, thanks for giving this a shot - looking forward to seeing the end product.

Lots of Shadowrun goodness in one week, neither of which I thought we'd see any time soon. 2012 gets a big thumbs up from me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
AWesome. Loved Shadowrun on the SNES. such an amazing RPG which really needed a proper cyberpunk sequel. The only close thing we had was Deus Ex.

Love rocking my Shadowrun team with Shamans etc - such an amazing game.

There's always Shadowrun Megadrive (the superior Shadowrun game).

Yes, that's true -- every CD console before the Saturn and Playstation, and some after them too like the Jaguar CD and Neo-Geo CD, have no copy protection. Far too few people owned CD burners at that point for them to have to bother, the medium alone was copy protection.

I've read that running burned CD-Rs wears through the laser on turbo duos and sega cd systems. Does that ring true to you? Is there any reason that would be true?

Top Bottom