• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 Results: $312 Million Loss

Sony Corporation announced its consolidated results for the first quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31,2013 (April 1, 2012 to June 30, 2012)

Consolidated Results for the First Quarter ended June 30, 2012
Sony Corporation said:
(Millions of U.S. dollars)

Sales and Operating Revenue --> $19,180

Operating Income --> $79

Net Loss --> $312

FY11: Game Operating Income --> 29.3 Billion Yen (375 Million U.S. dollars)
16_image.jpg

FY12 Q1: Game Operating Loss --> 3.5 Billion Yen (45 Million U.S. dollars)
04_image.jpg

kYbJp.png

FY 2011 is a profit of 29.3 Billion Yen.

11_image.jpg

Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit: Million)
Code:
Home Console      Ap-Jn'12             
--------------------------------------------------------------------
(PS3 + PS2)         2.8                

(360 + Wii)         1.81    (1.1 + 0.71)                       

Handheld         Ap-Jn'12          
(3DS + NDS)         2.4     (1.86 + 0.54)          

(PSP + PSV)         1.4      

-Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in Numbers)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks like the Home Entertainment and Sounds is their biggest bleeder.

Gaming... Not really.

Edit: based on the FY11.

Ridley327

Originally was 16 million. Now it's down to 12 Vita+PSP

Is 12 million realistic? PSP isn't dead in Japan just yet, but it's slowed down considerably thanks to the 3DS, and we all know how the Vita has been fairing. I guess it's a more attainable goal than 16 was?

FishyJoe

Neo Member
Ok, so they sell 1.8m PSP in Q1 2011. Total sales wound up being 6.8m for FY 2011.

Now, they sell 1.4m PSP+PSV in Q1 2012. Even with a reduced forecast of 12m, there is still a huge disconnect. Were they on crack when they forecast 16m???

NateDrake

Is 12 million realistic? PSP isn't dead in Japan just yet, but it's slowed down considerably thanks to the 3DS, and we all know how the Vita has been fairing. I guess it's a more attainable goal than 16 was?

If the current sales trend continues, I don't think 12 million will happen. Vita needs a strong holiday WW to hit 12 mill.

jcm

They restructured their divisions again? And are only reporting combined handheld/console? That's irritating.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, it was clear that they would reduce the forecast for PSP/Vita. 16 million was completely unrealistic.

Card Boy

Banned
with the poor choice of game on vita... no wonder why ppl dont wanna buy it now.

I'm never buying one until it actually has games. Why would i support a dead system with nothing that interests me?

I want Monster Hunter and at least 4 other good RPGs on it thats not a port of a port or Resmaster downgrade.

FishyJoe

Neo Member
Ouch....hopefully they'll get some profits soon.

Sony doesn't seem to think so:

Primarily due to the lowering of the annual unit sales forecast for portable hardware, sales are expected to be significantly lower than the May forecast. Due to the above-mentioned decrease in sales and the impact of unfavorable exchange rates, operating income is expected to be significantly below the May forecast. Sales are expected to be essentially flat and operating income is expected to decrease significantly year-on-year.

If the current sales trend continues, I don't think 12 million will happen. Vita needs a strong holiday WW to hit 12 mill.

at current sales trend, Vita + psp need 2 holiday WW to hit 12 mil.

price cut and huge announcements during next 3 months, or.. they are gonna miss anyway.

iammeiam

I wonder if we'll see Sony shift handheld forecasts down a chunk each quarter--I tend to think, with the size of this adjustment, they won't adjust after Q2 but may have to again if Q3 goes poorly (holidays+titles that are supposed to make Vita relevant in the west.)

But, yeah, this should mark an end to the claims that Vita sales are just according to keikaku.

Kyon

Banned
This takes time to fix idk if anyone was expecting everything to chnage so fast. Plus summer was very dry for games this year

Toki767

at current sales trend, Vita + psp need 2 holiday WW to hit 12 mil.

price cut and huge announcements during next 3 months, or.. they are gonna miss anyway.

Even if they had huge announcements, nothing they announce will end up being out in time for the holidays to make a difference.

So much for the appeal to authority people

"Sony knows what their plans are. They wouldn't make a forecast that would be that far off, obviously they have lots of stuff planned."

Haha yeah. Anytime reality was brought up "Sony knows. You don't!"

That's a pretty hefty revision. They also do not expect to make a profit for the full year now.

"Game
Primarily due to the lowering of the annual unit sales forecast for portable hardware, sales are expected to be significantly lower than the May forecast. Due to the above-mentioned decrease in sales and the impact of unfavorable exchange rates, operating income is expected to be significantly below the May forecast. Sales are expected to be essentially flat and operating income is expected to decrease significantly year-on-year."

If I recall, the vita was selling according to expectations per PR mouthpieces at Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That's interesting that they're breaking out actual figures again for each division. With last years's into the bargain. Operating income for SCE last year wasn't bad.

Dalthien

If I recall, the vita was selling according to expectations per PR mouthpieces at Sony.

Everytime any of the bigs at Sony commented on how Vita was selling as expected - it was some of the most obvious corporate BS. How anyone on GAF ever fell for it is pretty crazy.

It was obvious that the bean-counters expected Vita to start strong right out of the gate, and the first half-year has been the exact opposite of strong. I'm still amused at how so many bigs at Sony could keep spouting that "selling according to plan" crap with a straight face.

Top Bottom