• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water (Guillermo Del Toro) - early reviews hitting

JNT

Looks like a good movie. Has it been confirmed that this is, in fact, not an origin story for Abe Sapien from Hellboy?

Looks like a good movie. Has it been confirmed that this is, in fact, not an origin story for Abe Sapien from Hellboy?

giphy.gif

Not everything is a Cinematic Universe.

It really seems that it's more intended to be Del Toro's take on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, if anything.

It looks super good, I'm happy GDT is really bringing it this time. I've enjoyed all his work to some degree or another, but Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are the only times it's felt like he's been firing on all cylinders.

Eeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nah. Crimson Peak was pretty bad, and I was super hyped for it. First time ever that a GDT movie was disappointing for me. It was beautiful to look at, but damn did it bore me to death.

It's certainly not a great movie, but neither are the rest of his American movies. Crimson Peak looked better than the others and was more thematically interesting and played with a lot of the same ideas that Devil's Backbone did. It's hampered by its goofy script but that's been an issue with all his English scripts.

Crimson Peak is the best of GDT's American movies tbh

I actually wouldn't argue with that, I guess. I think I might like Hellboy 2 more, but it's been a while and I don't really remember it much. Never was a fan of Pacific Rim. Hellboy is alright.

I guess what I meant to say was that I had hoped Crimson Peak would be of Pan's/Backbone quality, but it didn't deliver for me. But looking at reactions, maybe this will.

GhaleonEB

The trailer make it look like it could go either way, but I'm glad to see it has turned out well. I'll check it out.

I wonder if this is going to go full Splice.

JNT

giphy.gif

Not everything is a Cinematic Universe.

It really seems that it's more intended to be Del Toro's take on the Creature from the Black Lagoon, if anything.

Trust me, I give zero shits about cinematic universes. Based on the trailer the movie obviously has a lot in common with Hellboy, at least on the surface; The director, the actor and design of the creature, and the agency that has the creature captured. You can hardly blame anyone for making these connections, even if the movie ends up taking a different direction.

It's certainly not a great movie, but neither are the rest of his American movies. Crimson Peak looked better than the others and was more thematically interesting and played with a lot of the same ideas that Devil's Backbone did. It's hampered by its goofy script but that's been an issue with all his English scripts.
Hellboy? It's certainly way more entertaining than Crimson Peaks, imo.

Any chance this could do well in the box office?

Fox Searchlight seems to be giving this a limited release, and doing the typical expansion thing, so I guess I could see numbers similar to Black Swan, especially if it does somehow land a best picture nom.

Glad to hear it's reviewing well. Del Toro is one of my favourite directors but I've been waiting for a fantasy film and this seems to be covering that itch.

Now on one hand, the film looks fantastic.

On the other hand, it might push the dangerous ideology that sex with fish people should be social acceptable.

That's a dangerous thing.

Surfinn

Now on one hand, the film looks fantastic.

On the other hand, it might push the dangerous ideology that sex with fish people should be social acceptable.

That's a dangerous thing.

Sex with people of the same gender, with fish monsters.. where does it stop?!

Top Bottom