• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 leak source found.

Chesskid1

Banned
o177U.jpg

According to Mathieulh, the recent build of Gears of War 3 that appeared on torrent sites earlier this month may have been inadvertently leaked by Microsoft themselves. A Google query for “codify.com xbox” will reveal Microsoft’s Xbox 360 Codify page which may have, at one point, offered up Gears of War 3 for grabs. The offending pages and files have been taken offline, however Google Cache has record accessible GOW3 files on the site.

The incriminating results included a page that revealed the directory for the Gears of War 3 files, only marking it “confidential” in the folder name and providing no other securities against unauthorized access. Yet another page revealed game assets. It’s unclear if this was the source of the leak, however it is a possibility given that the Gears of War 3 “Confidential” directory was accessible at one time by the average joe."
source

http://xbox.codify.com/GOW3/GEARS-OF-WAR-3-CONFIDENTIAL/Gears-3-build/UnrealEngine3/Binaries/Win32/
(removed/dead) but i've linked it to the google search.

xbox.codify.com still works, some files on it.

-viper-

Banned
shagg_187 said:
*puts on tinfoil hat* Viral Marketing, yo! If this wasn't viral marketing, we would have had loads of links to the video on YouTube.

*removes tinfoil hat*
sony did it.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Special J

Banned
such incompetence to the people involved on web management side, first they leak e3 announcements then they leak large portions of a game.... ugh...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how this can happen.

Or rather, I don't understand how this can happen, given that talented people still have trouble getting jobs at major corporations.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rez said:
I don't understand how this can happen.

Or rather, I don't know how this can happen and yet talented people still have trouble getting jobs at major corporations.

Today I audited a coworkers authentication code for an upcoming event we're hosting.

Plaintext passwords.

"We didn't have enough time to do it right" -> "Then when did I just convert all your plaintext passwords and authentication code to hashed and salted passwords so secure you wouldn't crack them during the entire lifespan of the universe in a matter of 2 minutes?"

"It's not that important of an event" -> "Then when do you need authentication to use the system?"

*shakes head*.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
stop,poor Mama Robotnik can't donate and support all of you leakers and hackers..so stop goddammit

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Vamphuntr said:
It's not even a complete build... It's similar to the Deus Ex leak.
/going to play Journey now

Totobeni said:
stop,poor Mama Robotnik can't donate and support all of you leakers and hackers..so stop goddammit
ice cold son of the bitching lol

As embarrassing and stupid as this is, it's quite nice that it wasn't some dick at Epic or anything.

A stupid mistake is one thing, but some dickhead leaking a game is much worse IMO.

Jerk

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Today I audited a coworkers authentication code for an upcoming event we're hosting.

Plaintext passwords.

"We didn't have enough time to do it right" -> "Then when did I just convert all your plaintext passwords and authentication code to hashed and salted passwords so secure you wouldn't crack them during the entire lifespan of the universe in a matter of 2 minutes?"

"It's not that important of an event" -> "Then when do you need authentication to use the system?"

*shakes head*.

Which language? I mean, if the poor man had to do it in MIPs, I can hardly blame him :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What's this mama robotnick stuff in reference to?

Foliorum Viridum said:
As embarrassing and stupid as this is, it's quite nice that it wasn't some dick at Epic or anything.

A stupid mistake is one thing, but some dickhead leaking a game is much worse IMO.
I feel like this would feel worst as a creator. If someone maliciously leaks your content, at least you have a villain as a frustration outlet. If something like this happens because an otherwise talented employee made a (in this case, huge) mistake, you're placed in a really uncomfortable situation where your content is out there and a potentially good person(s) loses their job.

I mean, it's like saying I'd rather you cut off my ring finger instead of my index finger, we're talking very fine shades of grey, but yeah, I know which I'd 'prefer'.

LiK

Rez said:
What's this mama robotnick stuff in reference to?

I feel like this would feel worst as a creator. If someone maliciously leaks your content, at least you have a villain. If something like this happens because an otherwise talented employee made a (in this case, huge) mistake, you're placed in a really uncomfortable situation where your content is out there and a potentially good person(s) loses their job.
Missed the GeoHot threads?

Top Bottom