• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

EzLink

Banned
Wow, this game completely came out of nowhere for me, but now I am on board and ready to play the shit out of this. I always love it when awesome games start to gain hype a few weeks before release. Much better than being excited and painfully waiting for a game for years.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Feindflug said:
Wow is tearing on the 360 version really that bad? some dude in the other Darksiders thread posted some pics of his promo copy, hopefully he will post some impressions from the 360 version.

One of the developers was saying on the Darksiders forum that review copies were green disks. These discs don't read as fast as retail discs, and thus they can suffer from tearing/framerate issues.

I have no idea whether this is true or not, but it's something to be considered.

Loxley

Chromax said:
Pretty hyped for this. PS3 version for me! :D

So is that scythe weapon exclusive to Gamestop?

The developers confirmed that the code to unlock it is universal, so once it makes it's way onto the net anyone can put it in and unlock it.

ZealousD

Loxley said:
The developers confirmed that the code to unlock it is universal, so once it makes it's way onto the net anyone can put it in and unlock it.

It's in the OP, as a matter of fact.

TheFallen

Chromax said:
Pretty hyped for this. PS3 version for me! :D

So is that scythe weapon exclusive to Gamestop?
The scythe is in the game regardless of you going Gamestop. The preorder bonus is just an additional scythe that gives you an experience bonus.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Christ... in Feb. when I get my new PS3 I have to get Bayonetta, Borderlands, and now this after reading the OP.

I am really going to be tided over until Resonance of Fate and Final Fantasy 13 drop over here :lol

TrAcEr_x90 said:
just called gamestop, the comic /art book has come in. gonna go grab it.

It's really well done. Instead of those dinky little instruction manual sized hand-outs, the Darksiders bonus is built, literally, like an 8.5 x 11" graphic novel. Appropriately enough, it seems to have been put together by Wildstorm, who some may remember have published Battlechasers. Joe Madureira, unfortunately, only co-writes the 20-some page comic portion of the novel, but the artist Ludo Lullabi does it justice...he does the World of Warcraft comic, who many have tagged as very Battlechaserish. Go figure.

lsslave said:
Christ... in Feb. when I get my new PS3 I have to get Bayonetta, Borderlands, and now this after reading the OP.

I am really going to be tided over until Resonance of Fate and Final Fantasy 13 drop over here :lol
Ditch Borderlands, get Yakuza 3 yo.

Smokey

Cruzader said:
No one willing to help a poor GAFer with Home avatar hook up? Dammit, this thread is so well done I want to buy but cant :( There's gotta be someone preordering from Amazon....

Also where is the code that you can redeem? Someone said it was posted in the OP but I cant find it. I want to make sure I get it so when I get the game late feb, I can use the DLC.

I'm still deciding if I wanna pre-order this from Amazon (and use my $20 credit that they gave me from pre-ordering Modern Warfare 2). If I do I'll give you the code.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
darkpaladinmfc said:
Ditch Borderlands, get Yakuza 3 yo.

My buddy just picked up Borderlands for us to play together. I am also getting Dante's Inferno when people will tell me to get God of War 3 instead. I decided to get Dante's Inferno based on the amazing marketing for it, sure GoW3 might be better but the DI team worked hard to win my purchase :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
chaoseater-sword-darksiders.jpg

ZealousD

Greenlight711 said:
he does the World of Warcraft comic, who many have tagged as very Battlechaserish. Go figure.

And lots of people say that Darksiders the game looks like WoW. :lol

EktorPR

lsslave said:
My buddy just picked up Borderlands for us to play together. I am also getting Dante's Inferno when people will tell me to get God of War 3 instead. I decided to get Dante's Inferno based on the amazing marketing for it, sure GoW3 might be better but the DI team worked hard to win my purchase :lol

Wut. :lol

mjc

So Gamestop might already have the book for this game on hand already? I might reserve it after work here if they do.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
lsslave said:
gtfo. :lol

Ilias78

Neo Member
Greenlight711 said:
No need to get mad, just do some research before posting--especially when word of the demo was posted in this very OT. Have a nice day.

Oh please. You had an attitude with me since i started posting in this thread. Next time show some more respect towards others.

Anyway some more impressions:

Played a bit more today, up to the first boss called Tiamat. Its really nice to find out that each level/dungeon that opens up is in a completely different setting and with a different variety of enemies (although some of them like zombies for example seem to be a standard throughout). I have gotten more accustomed to the combat and i appreciate the excellent lock on targeting system more and more as it takes the fight with larger and tougher enemies to a whole new strategical level. Blocking, dodging, countering, they become a necessity in order to survive. And when fighting the small fries, its enjoyable to see how seamlessly the finishing moves are connecting with your basic combo attacks (and this is basically just the "warm up" of the game). Cant wait to see what happens next.

Dungeon progression (Tiamat's at least) feels again a lot like Zelda - heck even War's throwing shuriken weapon has uses in the dungeon reminded me very much of Link's boomerang and hookshot. Tiamat in the end is simply MASSIVE - though to be honest, the pattern of taking her out wasnt very difficult. Still, it was quite a spectacle.

Cheers!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Bad_Boy said:
gtfo. :lol

Because I was disagreeing with him disagreeing my game purchase, and found another one that goes against the GAF hive mid? Guess what, the GAF hive mind will have you buy games exclusively on hype that seldom live up to it.

Check GAF backlogs that they never touch, check how many times they replay games vs. just achievement hunt and never touch again.

Don't be a bunch of mindless sheep, I get what I want to get based on what looks good and share the joy with other GAF, and this game is definitely on that list of purchasable games (and was interested but not hyped before, now its just hype, but you can read up on this game before and you'll see how quick the GAF hive changes its mind**edit: referring to Darksiders**)

Arde5643

Ilias78 said:
And when fighting the small fries, its enjoyable to see how seamlessly the finishing moves are connecting with your basic combo attacks (and this is basically just the "warm up" of the game). Cant wait to see what happens next.
This is what I like as well - I find GoW's finishing moves too distracting and cut off from the main gameplay since it slows and stops everything around you whereas in Darksiders it's all just part of the combo attacks.

Amir0x

Banned
ok i just did a cursory run over this thread and this game is like ZELDA?

WHAT-THE-FUCK!? How did I not hear about this!?

How is it like Zelda before I order it? Is there a set number of dungeons featuring fantastic puzzle and level design, with tools that help you overcome the various obstacles and the end dungeon boss? The OP says it but I need to know this structure is consistent throughout the entire game, not devolving into some mediocre action game elsewhere!

Also, what about this developer should allow me to trust they can make a game with that sort of pedigree? INFORM ME, THE LONG OP WAS NOT ENOUGH

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Amir0x said:

How is it like Zelda before I order it? Is there a set number of dungeons featuring fantastic puzzle and level design, with tools that help you overcome the various obstacles and the end dungeon boss? The OP says it but I need to know this structure is consistent throughout the entire game, not devolving into some mediocre action game elsewhere!

Also, what about this developer should allow me to trust they can make a game with that sort of pedigree? INFORM ME, THE LONG OP WAS NOT ENOUGH

It is their first game, we really have nothing to go on except reviews (which are pretty fucking good so far!)

What really makes the game look amazing, beyond everything else, is the passion that the devs have for it. You can tell in every interview and comment how much they care about it. This can sometimes do nothing, but between the reviews bringing the hype meter up and their passion keeping me interested during the wait for it I am definitely getting it.

Amir0x said:

Things begin as little more than a God of War clone. You start off getting a taste of your full powers, to ensure you know exactly what is being lost. And once you lose those powers, you go about button mashing through a few different enemy types. Oh sure, it's enjoyable, but it's nothing new for the first hour. Just when I am thinking I knew what the next 16 hours were going to be like, it changed.

The Twilight Cathedral, your first major dungeon, is an equal balance of combat and puzzles. Suddenly Darksiders is more like Zelda, right down to the boomerang-like Crossblades. And that's how most areas turn out. You do fight a lot of enemies -- which is good, because you gain experience for your weapons, leveling them up and making them more powerful -- but also solving some puzzles. None of the puzzles will break your brain, at least not in the first half of the game, but it's just one of the nice little wrinkles in gameplay that freshens things up.

A lot of developers try and create a story that has twists that capture your attention. Darksiders' story doesn't have those kinds of twists. Instead, developer Vigil Studios put those types of unexpected moments in the gameplay itself. Every hour or so, you get a new piece or gear or a new ability that adds a different layer to the gameplay. Each new piece of gear or ability seems to be tied to one of the dungeons you need to explore.

The Crossblades, which I mentioned earlier, not only hurts enemies, but is used to progress through dungeons. You can target up to five objects with the Crossblades and it "transfers energy" from one to the next. This means you can target the flames of a torch and then an unlit bomb across the way. Toss the blade and carry the flame to the bomb. Boom -- the bomb blows and the way is cleared. All that's missing is that classic Zelda ditty playing afterwards. You know the one.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1057234p1.html

Arde5643

Amir0x said:

There are parts of the game where War must use his boomerang to open up gates a la Zelda (use boomerang to hit switches), War also gets a horse later on which he'll ride to traverse the map, there's also some puzzle sections in the game where War will have to use a teleporter wand or some kind to teleport himself to different parts of the dungeons, there are also parts where War will use his grappling hookshot to rapple to different platforms (which can also be used to rapple towards enemies or pull enemies in).

You can check the videos yourself in Gametrailers to see the types of tools and weapons War will get throughout the game. Some of the tools can be used for combat, some only for the overworld (a la Zelda again).

The world is more of an overworld (like Zelda) rather than straight linear stages like GoW or Ninja Gaiden.

The game is said best to be Zelda meets DMC with GoW fatalities.

edit: Beat'd - thanks Solidsnakex. Looks like you've got those articles handy for copy and pasting for Gaffers interested in the game. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm glad Darksiders is starting to pick up steam and get the word out. More people simply need to know that it's not a generic action game.

SamBishop

Banned
Amir0x said:
Shit. *orders*

I've said this a few times now, but imagine one of those 70s swinging parties where Zelda, God of War, Panzer Dragoon, Ratchet, Prince of Persia (and a game I don't want to spoil because when you get that new item, it rips holes in the fabric of your expectations of what the puzzles in the game are going to be like) all started getting hot and heavy. This was the baby that came from that batter.

Overwhelmingly, though, this is a Zelda game where you can jump and cut off heads and spill blood and crush heads and level up your weapons and GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW AASLKAJASKJAFLKJHASKJRHKLG

Arde5643

Those starting to get interested should check out the puzzle solving video and war's abilities in the OP - it actually got me more interested in the game than the combat gameplay videos (which I actually prefer much more than GoW).

I don't know why people keeps saying this is like a GoW clone though, the combat is much more fast-paced and you have much more variety in combat with so many different combinations since you can switch weapons on the fly a la DMC 3.
In fact, the combat reminds me more of DMC 3-lite rather than anything close to GoW.

The only thing close I'm seeing to be a GoW thing is the fatalities although even with the fatalities scenes, they don't try to lengthen and exaggerate it a la GoW. Fatalities are present in the game, but it's short, fast, and just the right length (not a lot of QTEs distracting the main gameplay - something I've always hated in GoW).

Puzzles and explorations are all Zelda-like though.

Ilias78

Neo Member
lsslave said:
It is their first game, we really have nothing to go on except reviews (which are pretty fucking good so far!)

What really makes the game look amazing, beyond everything else, is the passion that the devs have for it. You can tell in every interview and comment how much they care about it. This can sometimes do nothing, but between the reviews bringing the hype meter up and their passion keeping me interested during the wait for it I am definitely getting it.

If there is something that the devs have hit spot-on, its the atmosphere and the characters. From the intro, to the later cutscenes to War's fall and ascension and the different demons that you meet (The Watcher, Samael, e.t.c), everyone is interesting and makes you want to know more about the story and how all this happened. Heck, even Abaddon, an angel captain you meet at the very beggining, though he has a short appearance, he looks friggin fantastic. Even the angels in their shining gold armor look cool. The only thing i didnt like, were the typical zombie enemies that you meet.

Arggh i want to go back and play but im holding off till my 360 version comes and see how it turns out to be -.-

Arde5643

Ilias78 said:
If there is something that the devs have hit spot-on, its the atmosphere and the characters. From the intro, to the later cutscenes to War's fall and ascension and the different demons that you meet (The Watcher, Samael, e.t.c), everyone is interesting and makes you want to know more about the story and how all this happened. Heck, even Abaddon, an angel captain you meet at the very beggining, though he has a short appearance, he looks friggin fantastic. Even the angels in their shining gold armor look cool. The only thing i didnt like, were the typical zombie enemies that you meet.

Arggh i want to go back and play but im holding off till my 360 version comes and see how it turns out to be -.-
They certainly are doing a pretty dang good job in presenting the characters- whereas other games would try to make the character as mature, dark, gritty, and brooding as possible to the point where it actually makes them look embarrasingly emo and immature (oh hey, Dante's Inferno!)

I'd say the art style of the game helps a lot in immersing you with the characters - the great VAs also don't hurt one bit.

ZealousD

Amir0x said:
Also, what about this developer should allow me to trust they can make a game with that sort of pedigree?

If it helps, a good portion of the team is ex-NCSoft. They worked on Dungeon Runners and they've been working on a Warhammer 40k MMO.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:

Yeah why was this point not emphasized earlier? I honestly had no idea what this game was when I pre-ordered it. Only did so because they had a trade 3 get 1 free promo at EB and this game can be returned (even if opened) within a week for a full refund as long as you pre-order. I wasn't even going to play it but now I'm intrigued. Will try it out and Goozex it if it's good. This topic did way more than any of the non-existant marketing. I honestly haven't heard of this game at all aside from this thread and one of my friends telling me they're looking forward to it.

TheFallen

Firestorm said:
Yeah why was this point not emphasized earlier? I honestly had no idea what this game was when I pre-ordered it. Only did so because they had a trade 3 get 1 free promo at EB and this game can be returned (even if opened) within a week for a full refund as long as you pre-order. I wasn't even going to play it but now I'm intrigued. Will try it out and Goozex it if it's good. This topic did way more than any of the non-existant marketing. I honestly haven't heard of this game at all aside from this thread and one of my friends telling me they're looking forward to it.
Precisely why we need more informative OTs like this one. People can complain about the threads being nothing but corporate cock-sucking, but as gamers we should want to inform the rest of the community what each game is about. It's the only way we can avoid misinformation and ignorance.

Plus, if they realized this, we'd have seen less "Are there too many GoW clones this year?" threads.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
pre-ordered with release day shipping from amazon. i really wouldn't have known about this game at all without this thread

Same, pre-ordered it earlier today off amazon. Getting it for PS3, I don't trust my 360 for a 20+ hour game.

This thread was great on selling me on the game and also making me lose $60

ZealousD

This game has trailers from fuckton and back. I can understand how you might have missed the fact that it's more like Zelda than GoW, but how could this have been the first time you've heard of the game? Do you guys just not go to gaming sites besides GAF?

SamBishop

Banned
TheFallen said:
Precisely why we need more informative OTs like this one. People can complain about the threads being nothing but corporate cock-sucking, but as gamers we should want to inform the rest of the community what each game is about. It's the only way we can avoid misinformation and ignorance.

Plus, if they realized this, we'd have seen less "Are there too many GoW clones this year?" threads.

In the defense of those that played the game a few weeks ago, we kinda have been trying to get the word out there about what kind of game it is, it's just that the preview coverage thread wasn't really all that high profile. You guys are here now, though, and thanks to Zealous' awesome start to things, we can only hope word spreads a little.

Amir0x

Banned
I honestly only heard of this game the first time a few weeks ago when, yeah, I wrote it off as a mediocre God of War clone. It didn't look very interesting to me.

This thread apparently saved me from making a bad choice. Zelda is one of my favorite franchises of all time! So few developers ever try to copycat the game structure. I would really love if they pulled off a mature Zelda correctly.

I remember when God of War first came out and someone said it was like a Mature Zelda, and I was like "WHAT?" because it wasn't anything like Zelda. I can't wait for this game now.

I've been looking forward to this game for months and I'm glad to see it's looking like it's going to be a winner. Zelda games are my favorites as well, and all of the footage up to this point makes Darksiders look absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to play in come Jan. 5.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I also had no idea about this game until VOOK posted a picture of it in the ausgaf thread, to which i replied, what the fuck is darkstalkers? Am i missing out on something?

Seems like i might have been. I've never been a huge zelda fan but i tend to play them through once, because it's zelda and it's always an enjoyable experience.

I of course wish that there was a PC version as the PC is my platform of choice (any rumours to one?). Looks like i will be picking it up on the PS3 instead. Now i just need to find the best price for an import :D

ZealousD

Amir0x said:
I honestly only heard of this game the first time a few weeks ago when, yeah, I wrote it off as a mediocre God of War clone. It didn't look very interesting to me.

This thread apparently saved me from making a bad choice. Zelda is one of my favorite franchises of all time! So few developers ever try to copycat the game structure. I would really love if they pulled off a mature Zelda correctly.

I remember when God of War first came out and someone said it was like a Mature Zelda, and I was like "WHAT?" because it wasn't anything like Zelda. I can't wait for this game now.

Haha, if you checked the OP close enough you might have seen my comment when this game was first announced. I called it God of War with a bald space marine. :lol

It was a long, slow burn to get to the hype level I'm at now, so it's not like I can blame anyone for writing it off at first glance. I wouldn't say that THQ's marketing has been non-existant. Afterall they have a shit ton of trailers and they even totally revamped their official site once. They've even given the European sites a ton of attention. It's just so many people wrote it off so quickly without giving it a second glance.

evlcookie said:
Now i just need to find the best price for an import :D

Why would you need to import? It's practically a worldwide simultaneous release!

Arde5643

Why the heck would people still say this game is a GOW clone since the only thing similar to GOW is its gore?

First off, no emo characters (so far War doesn't seem to be emo, just stoic), fast paced gameplay (unlike GoW's that always slows down and stops for the QTE scenes), actual platforming and actual overworld, no forced immature-ish nudity (oh hey, boobs and sex in GOW! woohoo!), and last, artstyle that's pretty much completely different from GOW's.

Is this game saddled to be called a GOW clone just because that crappy clone Dante's Inferno is also coming up?

Amir0x

Banned
God of War's combat is very fast paced, and frankly the artstyle of Darksiders didn't seem very good to me at all. God of War has a vastly superior art direction, if you ask me. The vistas in a God of War game are simply insane.

But all that's behind me now. If this is like ZELDA, I am fucking all in. COME TO ME

Top Bottom