• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I mean, I'm not here to call anyone a hypocrite; I meant it when I said it was a question. The reason why I asked is because I'm an Oculus Rift owner who's been reading all the glowing reviews of the Touch, and it looks like Oculus did a great job with the product. But it's also weird to me that the furor from two months ago over Luckey's involvement with an organization that counted Breitbart writers among its top supporters has completely died out to the point where none of the media coverage mentions it at all. I think the only articles I saw mentioning it after the launch of the Touch was Gizmodo's series of Luckey Watch articles, which are basically "it's day 67 and still no word from Facebook about what Palmer Luckey's role is." It makes me wonder if everyone else decided it was okay or that it wasn't relevant anymore or if they just forgot about it.

So I'm in the same boat to an extent; do I spend money on this product knowing that Luckey is still involved with the company but not knowing HOW he's involved? Do I take Facebook's lead here and pretend he never existed? Do I decide that it simply doesn't matter, that Oculus is bigger than any one person, even Luckey, and that my money routinely goes to support people whose political views and actions I probably disagree with? Is it easier to just say "meh, the Rift wasn't that interesting after all anyways, I won't bother with the Touch?"

Anyways. Like I've said in the past, it's a personal decision and I don't begrudge anyone for buying or not buying for whatever reason. I was mostly curious to know how people felt about their purchase (or lack thereof). I'm not here to make you feel like a hypocrite, though if you already felt that way without my help, I don't really have any comforting words for you either unfortunately.

I know you're not suggesting I am a hypocrite. I am calling myself one because I am one. As for yourself, I guess it depends on how you feel Oculus responded to the news. Palmer is no longer out in public nor is he the face of the company. If that is enough to separate Oculus from Palmer's actions, then I would say buy it guilt-free. For me, it wasn't enough and I still bought it.

That said, VR without hand tracking is a subpar experience. Whatever route you go, get yourself a room scale setup. It's necessary, in my opinion.

How many cameras did they have set up at BB? If they only had the two in opposing config, they might have been worried about you going outside the small recommended area.

They had two set-up in parallel. Watching the Tested review now. Makes sense. That picture is really handy, btw. Thank you for sharing.

It all depends on sensor placement, but I was able to do full left and right style movement just fine. Depth was an issue, moving forward or back too far, and also not facing completely forward would cause tracking issues, due to the lack of a sensor behind me. I am going to try the experimental one sensor in the front and one in back..but I'm worried about the length of the cable for the rear one.

If you're facing forward and in sensor view, tracking is incredible.

Understood. I think I will keep the Oculus in my office and the Vive in the living room for room scale then.

Jamesac68

Banned
Mine's still on it's way. Due to arrive the 8th. On Saturday when it was in Indiana (i'm in CA) I requested a hold for pick up at a local facility, and my tracking status on UPS.com has been unavailable since. Going crazy now waiting for the request to go through. Just hope I didn't cause anything to go wrong, I've done it before without issue. But it's been 72 hours without any kind of update or new location scans showing on the tracker page. Annoying.

I changed my shipping location last night because I'd be at work today. This information makes me sad and nervous seeing as my Touch has sat at the shipping center with no movement since I changed things.

Bookoo

Ask Oculus. They're the ones blocking it.

Early rumors were Valve require some API layer or something and Oculus doesn't want to do that.
Also having to focus on getting your software working on multiple variations of hardware probably isn't a priority during your first product launch.

really....interesting. Why no love from rift to vive then? Why do I need to buy Eve twice if I want it on the vive too?

There's a rule that any game published in Oculus Home not include any other VR libraries. Oculus wants to make sure that everything in Oculus Home is optimized for the Rift, which means using the Oculus SDK to minimize latency.

Genuine question: did Palmer Luckey's funding of pro-Trump shitposting influence your decision to buy an Oculus Touch? Why or why not?
I considered it, but selling my Rift seemed like a massive hassle, and I bought the Rift because I've always liked the look of the Touch controllers more than the Vive wands (as well as splitting the cost over 6 months + play space concerns).

Palmer revealed how ugly and awful he is, and I never want to hear from him again, but I think think it's a great product with lots of great people working on it (Nick Suttner is at Oculus for heaven's sake!).

As a Vive owner, a lot of these games are familiar. If I were to get the rift, would I have to buy the games again on their store or will the rift work with the steam versions I already have?
It should. I can think of at least one example (VR Karts) where for a while the developer for whatever reason was saying you should get the Rift store version if you wanted Rift compatibility, but it's since been rebranded "VR Karts SteamVR" and claims support for all three headsets Steam lists.
delt31 said:
really....interesting. Why no love from rift to vive then? Why do I need to buy Eve twice if I want it on the vive too?
One is a store/service for software for a specific device, while the other is a more general store/service that tries to accommodate anyone with a PC.

Tain

Probably a long shot but any chance Valve will add Touch support for their "The Lab" package?

It's already in there.

All SteamVR games work seamlessly with Touch unless they have gone out of their way to detect Oculus hardware and lock it out (Google Earth), provided the Oculus camera configuration is suitable. The Lab requires 360-degree tracking.

Unless by "Touch support" you mean Touch hand models and support for Touch's finger detection stuff. That's pretty doubtful.

All SteamVR games work seamlessly with Touch unless they have gone out of their way to detect Oculus hardware and lock it out (Google Earth), provided the Oculus camera configuration is suitable. The Lab requires 360-degree tracking.
How do Vive trackpad features map onto the Touch controller?

vermadas

I've included several Steam games that don't have native Oculus SDK support in the recommendations in the OP, with the assumption that they will still be playable. But there are some situations where the controls don't translate very well. UploadVR has a few examples here. If anyone runs into any issues with these games that are significantly detrimental or makes a game downright unplayable, please let me know so I can remove it from the list or at least make a note of it.

Tain

Moving the analog stick is mapped to moving along the trackpad, clicking the stick is mapped to pressing it. Works pretty well, given that most Vive software only cuts up the trackpad into basic sections.

Zalusithix

The trackpad is just a set of analog axes as far as a game is concerned; that's how OpenVR exposes it. The only problems will be in games that make use of it for things like pressed down swipes which don't translate over that smoothly to a stick.

WGMBY

UPS claims they tried to deliver my Touch Controllers today. I've been sitting here all day waiting for the package, and it never came. Now I get to walk to the UPS shipping point to pick up my package later tonight.

Interested to see some impressions for a lot of these games. I played a bit of Ripcoil since it came with a purchase (I bought Medium), but the tutorial was frustrating me (maybe a ReVive control issue?). Had similar issues with the controls in ToyBox. Bullet Train is short but awesome though and Medium is really cool.

Gave The Climb a go before my Touch shows up, to see what it's like with a gamepad.
Man, it's pretty tense! I'm impressed, being honest.

It does make me go :-/ at my 970 though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gave The Climb a go before my Touch shows up, to see what it's like with a gamepad.
Man, it's pretty tense! I'm impressed, being honest.

It does make me go :-/ at my 970 though.

The updated version of The Climb should now have graphics options to tweak, maybe that will help if you turn some down?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Early rumors were Valve require some API layer or something and Oculus doesn't want to do that.
Also having to focus on getting your software working on multiple variations of hardware probably isn't a priority during your first product launch.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. He said why can he use the Touch on games from Steam but he can't use the Vive on games on the Oculus store. My understanding was that Oculus uses a different SDK. I assumed it had to do with that? More info here.

Ie: Oculus Store supports Oculus. Steam store supports any VR headset.

After the excruciating wait for the Oculus itself (I was a 12 min order and it finally arrived in late May), I passed on the Touch pre-order. I ordered one from Best Buy at midnight yesterday. It's now tracking as shipped, arriving tomorrow. So much nicer!

bounchfx

so I'm having a bunch of issues with the tracking, not sure if it's power related?

I cant even get internet while using the oculus since it takes up so much power, my USB wireless internet just slows down or stops working

but while playing today if you face away, it just loses tracking a lot, and I was starting to see a double image, it was super trippy and freaky and not sure what would cause that..

bounchfx

fixed my internet issue but The Lab crashed on me twice, and it's always facing the wrong way. and if I turn around the tracking is garbage. nooooo.

edit: its working now but I cant reach the charging station.. its out of my (big) playspace area, and I cant teleport. RIP.

Aggravated with Best Buy. When I preordered Touch from them I had the option for In-Store pickup. I received an email first thing this morning stating that it wasn't available and had to change to shipping. So now my order is stuck in preparing status. :/

Aggravated with Best Buy. When I preordered Touch from them I had the option for In-Store pickup. I received an email first thing this morning stating that it wasn't available and had to change to shipping. So now my order is stuck in preparing status. :/
Hmm, preordered for in store pickup as well with still no email, it's in preparation status. I'm just going to walk in there and tell them to pull it from the back(assuming it's in store, it says available today) or give me one from the floor.

Hmm, preordered for in store pickup as well with still no email, it's in preparation status. I'm just going to walk in there and tell them to pull it from the back(assuming it's in store, it says available today) or give me one from the floor.

Hoping they have them in store than for your sake. My zip code says no store pickup available.

Delt31

really interested in these controllers. Problem is I like vive's full room scale experience. From the articles I've read, even the third camera doesn't hit the sweet vive spot and it's a pain in the ass plus it costs even more.

Question is if I play games like brooklyn exp on rift, what happens with only two cameras? Is it not playable?

those controllers look so sick and the reviews are through the roof positive. I also hear the rift is more comfortable to wear. Might need to try it out this weekend.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I really want this but I just spent $600 on the Rift itself. I will probably wait awhile since they are pretty expensive. Tech looks neat though.

Hoping they have them in store than for your sake. My zip code says no store pickup available.
So best buy failed, went in and they said mine was available for pickup. Then they came back out and said it's not available and not in store, they said I can reorder it and have it shipped now to my place by the 9th, or wait till it's in stock. Wtf...

jon_dojah

Banned
really interested in these controllers. Problem is I like vive's full room scale experience. From the articles I've read, even the third camera doesn't hit the sweet vive spot and it's a pain in the ass plus it costs even more.

Question is if I play games like brooklyn exp on rift, what happens with only two cameras? Is it not playable?

those controllers look so sick and the reviews are through the roof positive. I also hear the rift is more comfortable to wear. Might need to try it out this weekend.

On the today's Giantbombcast, Jeff Gertsmann said some "room scale" vive games have worked acceptably for him with 2 cameras in front with minor occlusion problems.

bounchfx

On the today's Giantbombcast, Jeff Gertsmann said some "room scale" vive games have worked acceptably for him with 2 cameras in front with minor occlusion problems.

some worked fine with me but stuff like The Lab and the robot rebuilding/portal game, the stuff I need to do is out of bounds. and if I turn around my tracking breaks a bunch. 2 sensors is fine for most things but... walking around a lot, i've hit a lot of dead zones.

Genuine question: did Palmer Luckey's funding of pro-Trump shitposting influence your decision to buy an Oculus Touch? Why or why not?
I sold my rift as a result but wouldn't judge anyone for having / buying one. It was a personal decision. I only just recently ordered a vive to replace it. Seeing all the good feedback on the touch (is it fundamentally different from the vivr controller?) makes me a bit jealous though :)

Also I have a fair amount of games on oculus home I hope I'll be able to play with revive, but I kind of have no idea.

Top Bottom