• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Tizoc

Well, I got Shock Troopers :D

The port has, among other things:
- Hi-score mode.
- Caravan mode (hi-score mode in 5 minutes).
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- A lot of scanlines modes.
- Extended screen (more fov than the original game).
- Original arcade options (difficulty, violence, language).
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Good port, shame of the lack of a proper d-pad.

This game could really go with a Twin Stick control option.

meppi

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Yeah, I'm going to need that arcade stick sooner rather than later...

Please tell me im just being an idiot but is it possible to use both joycons for 2 player on shock troopers?

It says to add 2 credits and press start on the second controller. But ive pressed start on both controllers when starting the game and it acts as if both joy cons are just 1 player.

anyone know how to get 2 player going with just the standard set of joycons?

Neff

I bought KOF'98 and World Heroes Perfect. Colours are kind of weird and washed out, sound is glitchy, and the vocals from the KOF'98 intro are missing!

Very disappointing, the Hamster ACA releases on PS4 are way better.

On the plus side, the Switch Pro controller d-pad holds up to fighting game inputs quite well.

Please tell me im just being an idiot but is it possible to use both joycons for 2 player on shock troopers?

It says to add 2 credits and press start on the second controller. But ive pressed start on both controllers when starting the game and it acts as if both joy cons are just 1 player.

I dunno how it works, but I started a 1p game with my Pro Controller, pulled the Switch out of the dock to see how it looked on the tablet screen, accidentally hit a shoulder button on the Joy-Con, and 2p joined.

Thraktor

Go to the Switch main menu and go into the controller menu and the configure controllers option. Press both SL and SR on one joycon, then on the other, and they'll be set up as separate controllers. Go back into the game and you should be able to do two player without issue.

Jinroh

KOF98 is so blurry, it's clearly the worst looking version of the game I ever played. The game looks better on PSP.

Are the other ports similar?

Memory

Can confirm the Shock Troopers port is ace, i've been playing with a Joycon in each hand, didn't even notice the lack of a real d-pad.

Anyone check the Waku Waku 7 or World Heroes Perfect port features yet?

beril

KOF98 is so blurry, it's clearly the worst looking version of the game I ever played. The game looks better on PSP.

Are the other ports similar?

you can turn off screen filter in the options for clean pixels, or add varying levels of scanlines

N4Us

Do you think SNK remembers that there are other games in the Metal Slug series besides 1 and 3?

Wonder if the post-3 games were tangled up in legal troubles like some of the later KOFs were cause of them releasing during that bad financial period for SNK. Would explain why they don't appear often, or not to the extent of MS1 being on every piece of electronic equipment ever.

I bought KOF'98 and World Heroes Perfect. Colours are kind of weird and washed out, sound is glitchy, and the vocals from the KOF'98 intro are missing!

On the plus side, the Switch Pro controller d-pad holds up to fighting game inputs quite well.

I dunno how it works, but I started a 1p game with my Pro Controller, pulled the Switch out of the dock to see how it looked on the tablet screen, accidentally hit a shoulder button on the Joy-Con, and 2p joined.

How do they compare to the Wii Virtual Console release? I've always heard they were really well done and own quote a few on my Wii U.

Thanks, I saw only the scanlines settings. I'll give it a try.

Interested in your results. I'm concerned if the blurriness and whatnot may be due to their apparent compression to get their Switch games to I think 200MB as opposed to the PS4 versions' 400MB?

Wonder if the post-3 games were tangled up in legal troubles like some of the later KOFs were cause of them releasing during that bad financial period for SNK. Would explain why they don't appear often, or not to the extent of MS1 being on every piece of electronic equipment ever.

That would make sense.

Like, I love MS1 and MS3, but I wouldn't mind getting to play the others from time to time, ya know? Except MS4, I don't need that one.

Loona

Do you think SNK remembers that there are other games in the Metal Slug series besides 1 and 3?

They keep including stuff from all over the series in the mobile games, including stuff like a giant turtle mech unit for which sprites existed but didn0t get implemented in actual NeoGeo game levels. Metal Slug Attack in particular has even been creating several new units and characters, some of which associated with the Ptolemaic Army from the post-3 games.

sibarraz

Banned

4-5 are not released because they suck and 6 and 7 are not released because porting those will take a bigger effort than just creating a neo geo emulator and release roms

The only games with legal troubles are 2001 and 2002 because they have the tetsuo rip off

- Hi-score mode.
- Save states.
- Custom aspect ratio.
- Tate mode.
- Control options.
- Manual.
- Online ranking.

Well damn, I think I'll go pick this up now. Thanks!

linid0t

Couldn't find this information anywhere - are any of these coming out in the USA eShop? If not I'll buy them on the Japan eShop. Thanks in advance.

Ashilyn

Magical Drop 2/3

yRdL9fm.jpg

I would lose my shit if Magical Drop 3 came to Switch. That is the most fun game ever and one of the most hype.

I'm definitely in for Metal Slug 3, I'll grab it when I grab Blaster Master later. Might get Waku Waku 7 too. I hope they do more of these. I'd love to have stuff like some of the later NeoGeo KoFs, Garou, Last Blade 1 and 2, or Pulstar on the Switch.

Brought Metal Slug 3, feels awesome on the Switch, and plays well even in Co-Op with 1 of the Joycons.

Don't really care if it gets released in US later since the game is totally in English regardless (And the US release might not have the Original Japanese game in it), plus it came out to only like $8 as opposed to the $10 it'll likely be here.

meppi

Couldn't find this information anywhere - are any of these coming out in the USA eShop? If not I'll buy them on the Japan eShop. Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the US, but all 5 games are up in Europe since yesterday.
Really good way to kick off a new system. :)

Not much info unfortunately. I am hoping whatever held up Blaster Master Zero and VOEZ until the 9th here is the same thing holding these up and we will hear something soon. If nothing by the 9th I'm probably just gonna grab it off one of the other shops.

is Last Resort coming out?

Not slated so far, but apparently new stuff is coming weekly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives#ACA_Neo_Geo

linid0t

Not sure about the US, but all 5 games are up in Europe since yesterday.
Really good way to kick off a new system. :)

Not much info unfortunately. I am hoping whatever held up Blaster Master Zero and VOEZ until the 9th here is the same thing holding these up and we will hear something soon. If nothing by the 9th I'm probably just gonna grab it off one of the other shops.

Hmmm well if it's out in EU that suggests there's at least plans for western releases... I'll wait a little longer then...

Thanks!

Not slated so far, but apparently new stuff is coming weekly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives#ACA_Neo_Geo

shmupGAF! i hope more shooters come out for the switch =)

Ninja Dom

It's true. I bought KOF 98 and the vocals are definitely missing from the intro.

It is the arcade ROM being emulated as you get the Insert Coin part.

Very odd.

It's true. I bought KOF 98 and the vocals are definitely missing from the intro.

It is the arcade ROM being emulated as you get the Insert Coin part.

Very odd.

That would be due to Hamster saying they wanted their Switch games to be I believe 200MB as opposed to the PS4 version's 400MB IIRC. So they likely had to make cuts somewhere. But WHY though? If they are 400MB on PS4, that's hardly a bad thing.

Edit: Oh, actually they were 600MB on other systems:

http://nintendoeverything.com/hamster-on-bringing-arcade-archives-to-switch-more-games-planned/

Considering its internal storage size, the Switch version has a lower file size compared to other platforms. It was originally 600 MB in average, but the Switch version is planned to be reduced to 200 MB.

I mean those would add up pretty fast on a 32GB sized memory. But... SD Cards exist, why worry then?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm playing MS3 on my tv and it's incredibly washed out. Its also not crisp, which I expected, but man. This doesn't look good. Will try in portable mode.

EDIT: You actually have to change screen filter from '00' to 'off'. How silly. Now it's crisp, but still seems washed out.

So after an hour long session of Zelda in bed I decided I wanted to try to play kof98 with the left joycon "d-pad". Well I've been pulling every move on first try including most of the DMs (forgot some of them, been a long time). I am very impressed with the quality of these buttons, wasn't expecting them to emulate a d-pad so well.

meppi

Looks like Play_Asia is backordered on japanese eshop cards, the wait begins for a restock.

I always get them from here: https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/wii...rd-5000jpy-for-japanese-wii-wii-u-3ds-en.html

So after an hour long session of Zelda in bed I decided I wanted to try to play kof98 with the left joycon "d-pad". Well I've been pulling every move on first try including most of the DMs (forgot some of them, been a long time). I am very impressed with the quality of these buttons, wasn't expecting them to emulate a d-pad so well.

I was pleasantly surprised by this as well.
I thought it would be pretty bad, but pulling of moves was somehow near flawless.
Still prefer an arcade stick obviously and I would still buy a D-pad joycon if they ever release one, but still.

Oh and one little thing I noticed.
From the interview "Hamada also claimed that on Switch, it is easy to distribute downloadable titles globally."
This seems to be the case when they make games available in multiple languages.
You see, when you buy any of these games on the EU eshop and then visit the Japanese eshop with a different account on the same system, they also show up as "purchased".

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm playing MS3 on my tv and it's incredibly washed out. Its also not crisp, which I expected, but man. This doesn't look good. Will try in portable mode.

EDIT: You actually have to change screen filter from '00' to 'off'. How silly. Now it's crisp, but still seems washed out.
Check the switches RGB settings.

Memory

Picked up world heroes perfect and Waku Waku 7 to go with Shock troopers.
Not a fan of the Joycon d-pad for these games but its serviceable, analog sticks however are very nice, I actually prefer them to the d-pad when playing on my pro. Precise inputs are easy but that may be due to years of getting use to them rather than sticking with d-pad.

Ports are excellent quality and certainly worth the £6 asking price. Ton of options and they look and play great in portable and handheld. I'm using no filter, 00 (Smooth) or 06 (intense Scanlines) the most, can't decide which I prefer.

Great bite sized games to play in between Zelda sessions. I hope we get some more Neogeo releases this month.

Agreed. I'm not going to argue that it is one of the greats or anything. But on a scale of smartphone virtual screen d-pad to Vita d-pad it is definitely above original X360 d-pad for me. Seeing preference for the analog stick for 2d games is the real mind blower for me but to each their own. No hatred from me. If you are able to execute with it who am I to judge?

My impressions from the other thread:

Still holding out, at least for a few days, on any NA news so have not been able to try any of these yet. I figured this impression would be of most interest to this thread though.

Played a chunk of Shovel Knight, as well as the new campaign using the joycon d-pad and... Was totally fine for me. And I am real picky when it comes to a d-pad. Not having a 'center' does make it feel slightly strange. Especially when you do that sort of pivot with your thumb meat maneuver between directions (hopefully you know what I mean) but I was able to adjust very quickly.

I can see problems in execution when it comes to certain 2d games like fighters, but I have not been able to try one yet, so no thoughts there yet.

If you don't want, or lacking the funds, to drop on the pro controller I would suggest at least giving it an honest shot with the joycon. Will see if my tune changes as I get to more demanding parts of the game but so far no problems with execution or feel.

Top Bottom