• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Sgblues

A rather long time coming but glad the community thread is here despite some...how you might say "Bad times" just being a fan of the series or of Sega IP's in general on Gaf but that's in the past...hopefully!

Anyways glad to see people interested and re-interested in the series, sure it isn't that super great, got some flaws. can be improved on(especially the combat), and the plot gets rather nonsensical at times but its a series I like a lot.

Faenix1

Really wanna get into this series but it's a shame they don't localize the HD edition (Or even cheaper for them: put up the PS2 classics) and put Yakuza 3 up on the NA PSN.

I got Yakuza 4 via PS+ but hesitant to bother with it without playing the others.

Gacha-pin

Rankings!

1>2>0>見>3>維>4>5

5 is my least favorite but Shinada is probably my favorite character. He is a new blood to the series. Not too manly like Kiryu or Saejima but a normal loser mid-age male like someone Kiryu or Saejima would help in sub-stories. 217円!! lol he is very likable.

Really wanna get into this series but it's a shame they don't localize the HD edition (Or even cheaper for them: put up the PS2 classics) and put Yakuza 3 up on the NA PSN.

I got Yakuza 4 via PS+ but hesitant to bother with it without playing the others.

Y4 has a excellent gallery so you can view cut scenes from the previous games to get you catched up but yeah playing the previous games should be the way to go but its a shame that their not on psn.

Faenix1

Y4 has a excellent gallery so you can view cut scenes from the previous games to get you catched up but yeah playing the previous games should be the way to go but its a shame that their not on psn.

In all my searches I had no idea it had any sort of gallery. Not ideal but I suppose that's an option. I imagine that just gets you caught up on the general plot?

After getting Y4 in PS+ it's a pretty big missed opportunity not to have any other numbered title on the store. Would of bought them if they were priced right.

In all my searches I had no idea it had any sort of gallery. Not ideal but I suppose that's an option. I imagine that just gets you caught up on the general plot?

After getting Y4 in PS+ it's a pretty big missed opportunity not to have any other numbered title on the store. Would of bought them if they were priced right.

Yup

jgminto

I recently started 1 a few days ago. It's pretty rough around the edges but I'm enjoying Kazuma's story so far. His pure badassness lives up to his reputation

Ive only played the first game. I liked it so I went out looking for a copy of Yakuza 2 but couldn't find a copy. The prices online for copies are ridiculous too so I gave up on the series. I really wish I hadn't though.

So much damn love went into these games. There are one-off characters from the first game who get character development in optional side missions in the fourth game. Just ... wow.

Will buy Yakuza 5.

Dantis

Cool thread. Looking forward to playing Y5. Still expecting to absolutely hate the Haruka parts.

I never got around to finishing Kenzan. I should really get on that.

takoyaki

Great OT, thanks for making it! the series really deserved one for a long time.

For me it's: Kenzan and Ishin > 3&2 >1&4 > Kuro Hyou

haven't finished 5 yet because it didn't really grab me and I'm still chipping away at Zero right now. So far, Zero is my favorite mainline Yakuza game in a long time.

takoyaki

^I'm partial to the samurai-flamenco from Ishin, but all of the soundtracks are great.

Also, Kenzan opening video = best opening video

Aki-at

Cool thread and subscribed! Can't stress how hyyyyyped I am to finally play this game in English. Really wanted to do more of Saejima and Haruka's stuff but without knowing Japanese I was left helpless. Still loved every moment of it, my favourite entry in the Yakuza series, now I wish Haruka get's her own game!

Am I the only one who listens to the 5 and 0 ost all the time?

This is what is hooked up to my car.

(Along with 1, 2, Kenzan, 3, 4, Dead Souls and Ishin.)

cj_iwakura

By the way, if you want to salvage Y3 from its god-awful US cover(as well you should). custom makers have you covered.

WesJCBI.jpg

cj_iwakura

I have played Yakuza 1 recently, trying to get my hands on two. Those prices are killer though. :(

I lucked out and went hunting for it around the time when GS was liquidating PS2 titles. $20.

I found Y1 months later at a consignment shop for the same price, and Y3 last month for$9. Heh, my order's all out of whack.

I'm still playing 2, and I stream it on occasion if that helps.

I am currently bidding on Yakuza 2 on Ebay, sadly it's missing manual but has case.Hopefully, I win and can somehow replace the manual.

Dantis

I got a sealed copy of Y2 a few years back for like £7. From Amazon, of all places. Really weird, tbh.

Nice thread. Glad to see one of my favorite series of recent years getting the love.

As far as rankings go: 2>4>1>3, but I love all of them.

Aizo

Banned
I'm playing through HD 1 right now. Only other I played was 4. The demo for 0 was awesome, but I guess it'll be a long time before I play that. Best to play it after 5?

Anung

Un Rama
My copy of Yakuza Zero arrived last week from Japan. Unfortunately I won't be able to play it for a while because May is packed. Still it'll be awesome to have it ready to play when I need it.

Last Yakuza game I finished was Ishin and it was such a great game.

mrmyhthef

Hey there, I have a JPN PS4 account and can access the store.
How can I get the Yakuza 5 demo?
Can anybody help me?

Yakuza 5 is a PS3 game so it shouldn't be on the PS4 store.

Also I think they might have taken it down now that the game has been out for a while.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Its true! Yakuza's dub had prolly more high points then low ones an Date was very much a high one!

How long does it take to beat Yakuza 4? I just downloaded it and only have a few days available to me with the PS3.
My first time it took just short of 38 hours. In which I tried out a ton of side stuff but finished very little of it. My as close to 100% as I could muster run last year clocked in at over 82 hours!

I'm playing through HD 1 right now. Only other I played was 4. The demo for 0 was awesome, but I guess it'll be a long time before I play that. Best to play it after 5?
First time through any series release orders best but you're already jumpin around so thats moot. I dunno much about 0 but I'd guess it ties heavily into the first game so doing it next might work out?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
a CIB copy of Y2 cost me $63 yesterday which is more than i would've liked to pay.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah!

For me it's one of those series I've followed since the original on PS2 on release day. Being into Yakuza flicks etc I had to get it and I think I spent that entire release weekend in my room only leaving to get something to eat and have a shower/toilet break lol.

Whilst I do prefer playing in japanese language for the voices and I wouldn't want to go back to the english dub of the first, I've still got really fond memories of the first games dub. It felt basically like an 80's anime film dub, sweary as fuck.
My favourite being, everytime you walked past a group who got you into a random fight it was very often started with someone shouting something like 'WHAT DA FUUUUUUCK!' lol

It's a shame I'll very likely never play Kenzan etc basically the ones never localised in english. I just don't enjoy playing games with an english guide and it's more painful for me than not playing them at all. Ah well :(

dreamfall

Such a beautiful OT! Gonna hop back in and wander around in 4 before it's time for 5 to come out in the summer! I love these games with all my heart. I think 2 will always be my favorite, but they're all really special.

I also hope that fan translation of Black Panther is coming along, and that 0 comes stateside. DREAMS!

Yuterald

Paying my dues and showing my love and respect:

Fuck you and your rank, Haruka!

Wish I had a pic of the battle mode from the original Yakuza...but I'm still working on that shit! Probably the hardest thing in the franchise.

The current collection...still gotta import a bunch of stuff.

A personal piece from an age now lost...

Top Bottom