• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

A trusted source close to Atlus USA, today revealed to me that Shenmue HD Remaster will be released this year. Both games, Episodes 1 & 2, may be released together rather than separately. They are presumably being geared up for launch to precede Shenmue 3, which could possibly slip into 2018.

Source: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/shenmue-hd-remaster-coming-2017/ (May 15th Edit: If you get the "This link is inactive error, trying opening the link in a new tab instead of left clicking on it. This works for me)

First report I have heard of this possibly happening.
The source is primarily a japanese game news site. I have used this site for a while, but must admit I am unaware of it's reputation/reliability, but if someone can speak to it please share what you know.

Please lock if fake news.

Edit: Another point made

May 17th Edit: Hmmmm....
yyattQ2.jpg

H-Y-P-E-!-!-!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
In for forklifts and drunken Santa.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
forgive me if I don't know my shenmue but isn't shenmue 1 episode 1, but shenmue 2 is like episodes 2-4?

Something like that, yes.

But that is all mostly out the window with Shenmue 3 which has basically changed the "plan"

Shenmue is in a mid-sized city in Japan.

Shenmue 2 is primarily in Hong Kong

The thought initially was Shenmue 3 would be largely in South Korea, but I think it is now mainland China.

Erevador

I have no idea if this source is remotely reliable or not, but regardless, I think this is highly likely. SEGA would be foolish to let the massive post-E3 interest in Shenmue go to waste when they are simply sitting on the original titles. The two games have never been released together on one console in the US, so it is long past time for this release.

High hopes.

Erevador

Odd that the article here seems to suggest that it would not be released on any platform but PC.

SEGA would be insane not to release on PS4.

I am certain they will.

forgive me if I don't know my shenmue but doesn't shenmue=episode 1, and shenmue 2 = episodes 2-4?
2 is chs 3,4,5. Chapter 2 was basically cut, it happens on a boat and was made into a short manga.

I think 3 was allegedly going to be 6,7,8, but I might be misremembering that.

Zushin

Nooo, I've been trying to sell a sealed copy of Shenmue 2 for ages unsuccessfully >_> This news won't help!

Mett

I wasn't expecting Shenmue 3 to be out this year, but this would be a pleasant surprise. A lot of us have been waiting since HD Remasters became a thing.

m00h

Banned
Very interested in playing Shenmue since I saw that DF Retro episode. Release it on the Switch and I'm in day one.

It's been a long time coming, that's for sure. Gonna be super weird playing the first game on anything other than the Dreamcast.

I do hope they take out the loading though. Load more of the game in at once. Would make it flow so much more.

Extra toys and more arcade games would be great for a slight arranged mode.

Still hoping sm 3 has the ability to play them all in one arcade plus on the menu.

2 is chs 3,4,5. Chapter 2 was basically cut, it happens on a boat and was made into a short manga.

I think 3 was allegedly going to be 6,7,8, but I might be misremembering that.

I've always wished that if they did do an HD version of Shenmue 1 and 2 they would make chapter 2 a short playable area.

Considering it takes place on a boat you wouldn't need to make a very big environment. Even if it was just an hour long it would be nice to have all the chapters playable.

lol. I bought a Dreamcast a couple weeks ago and literally just started playing Shenmue within the past few days.

Should I just stop, then?

First post link isn't working for me. Looks like NeoGAF's affiliated links system is behaving badly. Maybe this will work https://goo.gl/g3I6vF

Interesting bit at the end:
We were told it is ‘safe to assume a PC/Steam release’, there has been no indication that the Shenmue HD Remasters will appear on any other platform.

Erevador

lol. I bought a Dreamcast a few months ago and literally just started playing Shenmue this week.

Should I just stop, then?
Shenmue on Dreamcast is an amazing experience. I love the controller for the arcade games and fight system. You won't miss anything by playing it on the original hardware and controller (complete with VMU). The Dreamcast remains such a great console.

I say enjoy Shenmue I on Dreamcast, and (especially if you are in the US) wait for the remaster to experience Shenmue II.

Top Bottom