• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the ps3 read from 1TB NTFS usb drives?

shuri

Banned
I'm upgrading my setup at home, can the ps3 read ntfs-formatted usb drives? I'm looking at some very tasty lacie 1TB disc, but it's not that awesome if i'm stuck having to use it in fat32.

So, PS3, huge video files, ntfs usb drive, DOES IT WORKS?

brokenFUN

I think it needs to be FAT or FAT32. Dont quote me.

That is a fat tera-brick. good luck swiching over, If you dare to do so.

jmonteiro

shuri said:
I'm upgrading my setup at home, can the ps3 read ntfs-formatted usb drives? I'm looking at some very tasty lacie 1TB disc, but it's not that awesome if i'm stuck having to use it in fat32.

So, PS3, huge video files, ntfs usb drive, DOES IT WORKS?

Why not? Would you care to explain?

Forsete

Sony should at least add support of ext3. That way we wouldnt be stuck with the silly small filesize limit.

carlosp

Banned
NTFS was made by microsoft for their systems. FAT and FAT32 are multiplatform and work with unix, mac and windows systems. I have a 1 TB Fat 32 HDD next to my ps3. It is working like a charm.

soco

carlosp said:
NTFS was made by microsoft for their systems. FAT and FAT32 are multiplatform and work with unix, mac and windows systems. I have a 1 TB Fat 32 HDD next to my ps3. It is working like a charm.

FAT & FAT32 are also made by microsoft. just FYI.

in fact, they have a patent on it and lots of digicam makers and such pay MS to use that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
soco said:
FAT32 gets incredibly slow and wastes tons of disk space for large drives.
And it doesn't support files larger than 4 GB (which is, luckily, a lot in this case).

Raistlin

shuri said:
well that just sucks.

You can always partition the drive.

Set some space to FAT32 for PS3-only usage, and then NFTS for PC-only. PC's can read the FAT32 partition as well, so its pretty easy to move stuff back and forth.

I have a 500GB drive that I use for this. The PS3 partition is used for backups, etc. and the rest is used for whatever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats the scenes problem. Time was you were used to 2CD releases and dealt with them as you needed to. So a <4GB file limit would have been simple to do,but they didn't. I'm surprised the advent of the PS3 with its relatively friendly MKV support (simple remux) might have meant more 4GB releases but it hasn't.

You can stream, but for me thats a pain for HD stuff. Luckily I buy blurays and only download TV for catchup so my filesizes are pretty low

watership

shuri said:
well that just sucks.

And here is the reason why:

"NTFS is the standard file system of Windows NT, including its later versions Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista.[4]"

It's pretty much a Microsoft thing.

Top Bottom