• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

I REALLY hope Sega allows for a 16:9 update of Sonic CD.

It's far and away my most played game on the iPhone and it's very tough to play on iPhone 5 simply due to the black space. Pressing left on the d-pad is more difficult as I often slide into the black space which stops motion.

Basically, virtual d-pads are worse than ever when black bars are present.

I have same problem too that often slide out the screen.
I solved it by using rubber-bands on the both edge of the screen, telling/braking my finger to stop slide out.

Assuming they are universal, press the price tag and it should say Download instead of Buy. Or you can just go to the Purchased tab on the App Store and have a feast there.

No. To both. Says price and asks for payment, also there's nothing on my purchase history. Empty.

dantehemi

Thinking about the monthly threads, it would be cool to do them similarly to how ComicsGAF run things, with a new thread each month by a different member of the community. That way one person isn't lumbered with the task every month if they don't want it, plus different people have different tastes, it would be cool if the curators roted.

The threads could work by having a weekly update to the OP showing the best new releases that would be decided either in the thread or in this thread if we were keeping the two parallel. thinking about it, if we had monthly threads, this one would probably die off since they'd be serving the same purpose, and the monthly threads would be a bit easier for new folk to jump in on.

So if we do the 'updating the OP once a week through the month' thing, it would be cool because it would be easy to aggregate a list of the best stuff from the year etc.

I like this idea alot, I can help whenever needed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fiancee and I went to Starbucks this morning and I grabbed a handful of new codes!

SpellTower is the new Pick of the Week! Woo! Play Boggle TO THE EXTREME! It's pretty excellent if you dig word games (I suck at them).

I have 8 codes here. Quote to reveal and enjoy!

E: Apparently all taken.

Fiancee and I went to Starbucks this morning and I grabbed a handful of new codes!

SpellTower is the new Pick of the Week! Woo! Play Boggle TO THE EXTREME! It's pretty excellent if you dig word games (I suck at them).

I have 8 codes here. Quote to reveal and enjoy!

Thanks. I took 3AE3NMHKM4LF.

Are you signed in to the same Apple ID you were using before?

What do you think? :) Of course I am. That was the first thing I checked. Also, my prices are in USD on the iPad (I'm from europe so they should be in Euros, as they are on my iphone and have always been on my Pad prior to this day).

dantehemi

Give impressions on that freebie game you leeches. I will buy it if it is good. I love word games.

Buy it now!! It's a great game, suprised you weren't on it when it first came out, iOS-gaf was all over that game, spell tower should rank high on the new iOS rankings coming out.

CoS_Ethan

Neo Member
Watched the promo video for Real Racing 3 in Apple's new event, wow, really a kick-ass iOS game...anyone knows when will it come out?

I just switched over to JP iTunes for the first time in a while, and I may have made a rather appalling discovery about Demons' Score:

US version: $6.99, but game content locked behind IAPs; game content IAP total cost is $39.91, pushing total cost of ownership to $46.90.
JP version: 1500 yen ($19.22 in today's currency), no game content IAPs.

Even after having paid the base cost of the US version, it would still cost me less money to rebuy the whole game on JP iTunes twice than I would spend purchasing the US version's IAP unlocks.

Can someone with the Japanese version confirm this?

EDIT: A poster at TouchArcade who resides in Japan confirms this to be true. Apparently I'm not the first to discover the pricing discrepancy either; this post was made four days ago. Also amended cost of US version; originally understated.

I just switched over to JP iTunes for the first time in a while, and I may have made a rather appalling discovery about Demons' Score:

US version: $6.99, but game content locked behind IAPs pushing total cost of ownership to nearly $37.
JP version: 1500 yen, no game content IAPs.

Even after having paid the base cost of the US version, it would still cost me less money to rebuy the whole game on JP iTunes than I would spend purchasing the US version's IAP unlocks.

Can someone with the Japanese version confirm this?

how does that compare with other SE games on itunes?

how does that compare with other SE games on itunes?

Don't really care to dig into this much right now but at least TWEWY looks priced about the same regardless of region.

Also just confirmed switching iOS to Japanese doesn't change the spoken language of Demons' Score (though many onscreen language elements do change) and doesn't get rid of the IAPs, so it really is just a totally different binary. I'm also hearing the Japanese voice cast is amazing, so the standing recommendation might be to just import the game and not bother with the international version at all.

Chinner

Banned
we still up for those monthly recap threads? i don't think we should get too fussy about layouts and shit, but i think we could section it off liek:

original/new games (horn, super hexagon etc)
ports (TWEWY)
retro (chrono trigger etc).
fart apps

Pachimari

Why not just have the biggest games of the month with thumbnails and a description and then a list of the lesser games?

Bastion
bkqOZs.png

Bastion for iPad features all the highly acclaimed artwork, music, and narration that Bastion is known for, along with intuitive touch controls. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock New Game Plus mode and continue your journey!

KEY FEATURES
- Stunning hand-painted artwork
- Critically-acclaimed original music score
- Hours of reactive narration deliver a deep story
- Intuitive touch controls created exclusively for iPad
- Variable difficulty for players of all skill levels
- Action-packed combat rewards playing with finesse
- 10+ unique upgradeable weapons to be used
- 6 powerful Bastion structures to be discovered
- 'New Game Plus' mode unlocked after finishing the story
- Game Center achievements and leaderboards

GAF Impressions
It's awesome! - User1.
It's awesome! - User1.
It's awesome! - User1.

The World Ends With You
PjzENs.png

Welcome to Shibuya, a mishmash of attitudes and styles in the heart of Tokyo.

A boy named Neku wakes up in a crowded intersection, alone and unaware of how he got there. Then, he receives a weird text: “Clear this mission...or face erasure.” With that, Neku is thrust into a life-or-death Game that sends him scrambling down streets paved with one riddle after another...

What is the Reaper’s Game? Why is Neku a Player, and what is he playing for? Will the Game really end if he survives all 7 days? Another mystery is always around the corner.

GAF Impressions
It's awesome! - User1.
It's awesome! - User1.
It's awesome! - User1.

Other Games
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD

I just made this quickly but what do you guys think?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
we still up for those monthly recap threads? i don't think we should get too fussy about layouts and shit, but i think we could section it off liek:

original/new games (horn, super hexagon etc)
ports (TWEWY)
retro (chrono trigger etc).
fart apps

Why not just have the biggest games of the month with thumbnails and a description and then a list of the lesser games?

Bastion
thumb1, thumb2, thumb3, thumb4

iTunes Description

GAF Impressions

The World Ends With You
thumb1, thumb2, thumb3, thumb4

iTunes Description

GAF Impressions

Other Games
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic CD

Boom. Although even that could be a bit too complex. Really, it depends on who is doing the thread as to how they want to present it IMO. As long as the OP is updated on a weekly basis for that month I say anything goes. A formula will probably set in eventually anyway.

You people here realise we are plotting the death of the iOS megathread. Shed a tear...

Chinner

Banned
Boom. Although even that could be a bit too complex. Really, it depends on who is doing the thread as to how they want to present it IMO. As long as the OP is updated on a weekly basis for that month I say anything goes. A formula will probably set in eventually anyway.

You people here realise we are plotting the death of the iOS megathread. Shed a tear...
its not plotting the death of the megathread if we do a recap of the previous month. because then we can just put all the initial effort in and not worry about updating it weekly, and equally it won't take away from new releases and this thread. it would just serve more of a 'hey this is some of the cool shit thats come out if you don't pay attention much to GAF/IOS gaming'.

also i just think we should give more priority to original games than ports. obvs if a good port comes out like sonic cd then that should get some attention, but id rather push original games rather than a "hey this is device is port-central'

Finally got around to playing asphalt 7 and it's such an improvement over the other games again, but it's making me get annoyed at my ipad 3 yet again too.

it uses for what I can tell the old iPad res in races and at a choppy 30fps too, i'll be so happy when apple stick an A6X in the next ipad, the current ipad is just not built for fast 3D gaming imo.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
its not plotting the death of the megathread if we do a recap of the previous month. because then we can just put all the initial effort in and not worry about updating it weekly, and equally it won't take away from new releases and this thread. it would just serve more of a 'hey this is some of the cool shit thats come out if you don't pay attention much to GAF/IOS gaming'.

also i just think we should give more priority to original games than ports. obvs if a good port comes out like sonic cd then that should get some attention, but id rather push original games rather than a "hey this is device is port-central'

You reckon? I think that if we have a monthly thread, there will be discussions of that month's releases in there. And since people will be talking, older games will come up too. And at that point there is no need for a rambling megathread any more.

Maybe it'll get moved to community instead? But I still don't see a use for it any more.

It's like the comics threads. There is a monthly thread where we talk about anything and everything comics. It would be redundant for there to be a catch-all comics thread too.

I'm not that fussed on the ports issue. Personally, I haven't played every game ever (shocker I know) - therefore a port that I've not played is simply a new game, as deserving of my time as any other. Baldur's Gate for example. I never played it, so it's simply a rad new game that I'm excited about.

What would be cool would be if devs started making original games with the scope of the better ports we've been seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom