• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dodonpachi Resurrection iPhone/iPod touch |OT| Release on 26 Aug

Jonnyram

4918677749_ca11c78bba_o.jpg

Dodonpachi Resurrection (aka 怒首領蜂大復活) for iPhone and iPod touch.
Developer/publisher: CAVE
Release date: Thursday 26 August, 2010

Special discount pricing for 4 days:
$4.99 (US/Canada)
2.99 GBP (UK)
4.99 EUR (RoE)
600 yen (Japan)

Regular pricing (30 Aug onwards):
$8.99 / 5.49 GBP / 6.99 EUR / 1000 yen

Please be aware that there is a time lag internationally for the start time and date of the special commemorative price, so please verify application price before purchasing.

A lite version will also be released following the release of the retail version.

Like ESPGALUDA II, the game is only compatible with iPhone 3GS and above, including iPhone 4, iPod touch (late 2009 32/64GB models) and iPad.
iPhone OS 3.1.3 or above is required.

KEY FEATURES
  • Two fully-featured game modes: iPhone Mode, an exclusive adaptation tailored to the
    iPhone/iPod touch portable format, and Arcade Mode, a direct port of the arcade
    shooter classic.
    Practice Mode also included! Beginner and veteran shooters, practice up to beat your
    friend’s scores!
  • Packed with options: customize your game experience!
    Three types of screen sizes, six types of button layouts and enhanced button control ensure
    that shooter fans from beginners to advanced players will find the controls that fit their
    style!
  • Pressing the limits of the iPhone and iPod touch! Prepare for the bullet storm!
  • Brand New iPhone Mode BGM selectable along with the original arcade version music!
    Composed by sought-after young composer Kenichi Maeyamada, along with game
    music veteran and hit producer Shoichiro Hirata!
  • Compatible with OpenFeint! Internet Rankings and Achievements Included!
    Score rankings are featured for each mode and all characters. Compete with players all
    over the world for high scores! Unlock achievements in-game by fulfilling certain
    conditions! Go for a full achievement list!

VIDEOS
Teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWaMN-kI9A
Promotional movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm9cOiydk3w

SCREENSHOTS
4918713953_8f8ec4e9d5_o.jpg
4919311640_0939815f9e_o.jpg
4918713995_3248509f20_o.jpg

4918714015_385a65a313_o.jpg
4919311690_1afed74e1a_o.jpg
4919311708_014e2fc540_o.jpg

4919311718_c64af83e7f_o.jpg
4919311740_363d9b10de_o.jpg

john tv

Day one for sure. Espgaluda was awesome, especially on iPad (even if it's not officially supported). Long live Cave!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I knew it had been submitted to Apple a little while back, so I've been refreshing the App Store on my iPhone twice a day for it.
I love how seriously they're taking iPhone development for these ports.

Can't wait.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
can't wait - Cave goodness on the go. Espgaluda 2 should also be checked out by those who haven't too - so so good.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Wow, so fast. They just announced it and now it's almost out.

Loving this. Hope this is a success for them, I want more Cave games on my Touch.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
deadnoob said:
Retina display? Please??? :D
The original game didn't even support a resolution that high.

Jonnyram

deadnoob said:
Retina display? Please??? :D
I doubt it's going to happen soon. The iPad doesn't have enough memory to support high-res sprites and the iPhone 4 isn't widespread enough yet. They will be creating the high-res graphics for the Xbox 360 version though, that's for certain.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd kill to get this, but I'm still on a 3G. :(

SmokyDave

Counting down the hours!!!

I hope the £2.99 is an introductory price and not a reflection that Espgaluda 2 didn't do too well. I'm loving this Cave support.

Edit: Re-read the OP and it is introductory price. My eyes were bamboozled by the lovely before.

Ninja Dom

Day One!!

Let the iPhone mode Score Attack challenges commence!!!

BTW, how's everybody's iPhone Mode Espgaluda 2 scores going??

218,917,212 here with Ageha. Rank 172 in the world.

Dr. Light

Jonnyram said:
I doubt it's going to happen soon. The iPad doesn't have enough memory to support high-res sprites and the iPhone 4 isn't widespread enough yet. They will be creating the high-res graphics for the Xbox 360 version though, that's for certain.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Every single native iPad game has "high-res sprites" so....ok. And an iPhone 4 is about 80% of an iPad, in terms of both power and resolution.

Jonnyram

Dr. Light said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Every single native iPad game has "high-res sprites" so....ok. And an iPhone 4 is about 80% of an iPad, in terms of both power and resolution.
Hey, Dr. Light, laugh it up some more.

Of course high res games have high res sprites. The issue is that Dodonpachi has a LOT of those sprites, which all need to be in memory at the same time for the game to function. iPad's 256MB of RAM is not enough for this, whereas iPhone 4's 512MB of RAM is.

Finally a release date ! And in 3 days to boot !

I was gifted an iTouch 64go last week, I was drooling over Cave's shmup(s) on the App Store. Now I don't have to keep drooling anymore, I can just buy them and play!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jonnyram said:

Of course high res games have high res sprites. The issue is that Dodonpachi has a LOT of those sprites, which all need to be in memory at the same time for the game to function. iPad's 256MB of RAM is not enough for this, whereas iPhone 4's 512MB of RAM is.
The iPad can handle the game with ease.
It's how Cave demos the game.

Jonnyram

dallow_bg said:
The iPad can handle the game with ease.
It's how Cave demos the game.
They are demoing it using the iPhone version at 2x magnification, but it doesn't have the RAM for an HD version.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Jonnyram said:
They are demoing it using the iPhone version at 2x magnification, but it doesn't have the RAM for an HD version.
Oh you guys were talking about a native iPad version?

My mistake.
I can't speculate on that.

Minsc

Gold Member
_dementia said:
so DDPR is bad?

Why should I have to put up with trolling in a thread about a game. Should have just ignored it, but it's absolutely beyond ridiculous to claim there's only 2 decent games out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Day 1, but am I crazy or does it look more low-res than Esp2? It looks quite blurry even in the mid-size screens posted here. Maybe it's just because Iphone has the same resolution but the smaller screen so it looks better smaller at higher dpi.

Jonnyram said:
It's not like the assets are done in HD to begin with, right? It's all pixel art.

Sew said:
All that beautiful pixel art, deaded.
I wonder if they could just scale it using some non blurring algorithm instead.

I have no idea why, but original Dodonpachi looks so amazing on PSP Go screen despite the scaling, while both of these two games look kinda blurry in the full screen mode.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Have you guys tested the game on Iphone 4, and what are the framerate differences between it and 3GS?

Dr. Light said:
Doesn't Iphone have twice as much memory, and same processor speed? I've also heard it has none of the fillrate issues that ipad has.

Dr. Light

Jonnyram said:

I'm sorry, you're implying that the iPad is not capable of handling some ancient shmup? I'd be surprised if the entire game is more than 256MB. Most iPad games are a tiny fraction of that. The iPad should have more RAM, but it is not that weak.

The amount of sprites onscreen is irrelevent (that's a CPU issue) you seem to think that the graphic variety is too much to fit in RAM. Sorry, I don't see it.

Doesn't Iphone have twice as much memory, and same processor speed? I've also heard it has none of the fillrate issues that ipad has.

Same processor, 800mhz compared to 1Ghz for iPad. What fillrate issues?

Jonnyram

Apologies for the tech drama, let's try and keep it on topic and not get bogged down in this BS.

I've played the game on a 3GS and it's 60fps. So you won't see any improvements on the 4 over 3GS.

Lord Error, they are redrawing all the sprites in HD for the Xbox 360 version which is coming out later in the year. HD sprites already exist for Espgaluda 2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jonnyram said:
Lord Error, they are redrawing all the sprites in HD for the Xbox 360 version which is coming out later in the year. HD sprites already exist for Espgaluda 2.
Wow that's pretty cool. Hopefully I4 gets the HD release as well, I'd gladly pay for it.

About the framerate, in the large screen mode on 3GS Espgaluda 2 chugged a bit at a lot of places. That's why I was asking if Iphone 4 would bring any improvement to this. In smaller screen modes the game was smoother for sure though.

Dr. Light said:
Same processor, 800mhz compared to 1Ghz for iPad. What fillrate issues?
Is the 800Mhz thing confirmed? I know that it has 2x the memory though (256 vs 512). Ipad apparently has fillrate problems so that some the games that run 60FPS on 3GS don't run at 60FPS on Ipad in double scaled mode.

Dr. Light said:
The amount of sprites onscreen is irrelevent (that's a CPU issue)
Yeah, you would think that, but I don't know. Espgaluda 2 for sure runs smoother in it's small screen mode than it does in the large screen mode on 3GS, even though the large screen mode is literally just small screen graphics stretched full screen. CPU utilization should be identical there, but the performance hit exists for sure.

Flek said:
Nice Dodonpachi/PSP Go screens too. :-D

J2d

I will pick this up as soon as my iphone gets here, which could be as far away as 7 weeks according to the guy at the store, argh =(

J2d said:
I will pick this up as soon as my iphone gets here, which could be as far away as 7 weeks according to the guy at the store, argh =(
I would just download it day one from the itunes store to secure the discounted price regardless of when the phone gets delivered.

J2d

Yea I'll probably do that even though the wait will probably be harder since I'll own the game and have no means to play it.

Dr. Light

Lord Error said:
Is the 800Mhz thing confirmed?

That's what they estimated based on benchmark performance.

I know that it has 2x the memory though (256 vs 512). Ipad apparently has fillrate problems so that some the games that run 60FPS on 3GS don't run at 60FPS on Ipad in double scaled mode.

Huh. What is the fillrate? Might be a scaling issue.

Yeah, you would think that, but I don't know. Espgaluda 2 for sure runs smoother in it's small screen mode than it does in the large screen mode on 3GS, even though the large screen mode is literally just small screen graphics stretched full screen. CPU utilization should be identical there, but the performance hit exists for sure.

There's a small screen mode on the iPhone? :lol I mean....there isn't exactly a lot of space to begin with. :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dr. Light said:
There's a small screen mode on the iPhone? :lol I mean....there isn't exactly a lot of space to begin with. :lol
In the game itself, there's a 'Small' screen size option which displays 1:1 arcade game graphics in Espgaluda 2, which is 240x320 pixels. The other two modes are just scaling that up.

Can not wait for this to drop. All of the low budget, bite sized games are cool and all, but these are the types of games I wished existed on the app store. If SNK would port over Metal Slug 1-3... Damn... I'd be happy as a clam.

_dementia said:
I would just download it day one from the itunes store to secure the discounted price regardless of when the phone gets delivered.

I'm considering doing that. I don't know when I'll get an iphone, though :lol

Dr. Light

andymcc said:
the game is two years old? that qualifies as ancient?

Seriously? Based on the screens it looked like every other shmup that came out in the '90s (or earlier). They're still making 240 x 320 vertically oriented arcade shooters?

The OP says it's an "arcade shooter classic" so...

andymcc

Banned
Dr. Light said:
Seriously? Based on the screens it looked like every other shmup that came out in the '90s (or earlier). They're still making 240 x 320 vertically oriented arcade shooters?

The OP says it's an "arcade shooter classic" so...

most of Cave's titles still use raster graphics, and they do run on quite dated hardware. but, yes, they still make games like this.

Top Bottom