• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Sidzed2

(copied from review thread)

I just stepped out of my screening.

This is beautifully-conceived and executed science fiction film-making.

It's gorgeous and atmospheric and eerie and sad and beautiful. On that level, the film is stunning and worth watching.

On a narrative and thematic level? It's fascinating. I do think the actual plotting in relation to the central mystery is weird and unintentionally vague. Also the villain and his 'plot' are just bizarre and his motivations were lost on me.

It's probably as good as one could expect from a Blade Runner sequel.

Go watch it and then someone come explain the plot to me.

Geist-

The anticipation is killing me. I'm going to a double feature tomorrow, going to see the original Blade Runner (one of my favorite movies of all time) in the theater for the first time and then my most anticipated movie of the year right after. It's going to be a pretty epic 5 hour marathon.

Sidzed2

The anticipation is killing me. I'm going to a double feature tomorrow, going to see the original Blade Runner (one of my favorite movies of all time) in the theater for the first time and then my most anticipated movie of the year right after. It's going to be a pretty epic 5 hour marathon.

Why is the original one of your favourite films? It's interesting to me, because I could imagine someone who loves the first finding themselves flummoxed by the second. It's a great sequel, but it's different in so many ways, both tonally, textually, and narratively.

border

Is this worth seeing in 3D?

It looks like I have to choose between 3D regular screen and 2D (true) IMAX screen. Which would you pick?

Sidzed2

Is this worth seeing in 3D?

It looks like I have to choose between 3D regular screen and 2D (true) IMAX screen. Which would you pick?

Definitely 2D on as big and bright a screen as you can muster. This film's beauty needs no gimmickry.

Card Boy

Banned
Just watched a pre-release screening.

sT-LpGgB.jpeg

Dare i say it is better than the first movie. Just a heads up to anyone thinking of seeing it, don't bother if you have not seen the first movie (or at least read the book).

Ana de Armas as Joi

sun-drop

Saw it tonight, fantastic.

Up there with t2 and alien's as far as all time best follow ups to classics.

Very smartly done film from start to finish

Thank you for somebody else finally using that joke. I've been on the Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo train since before they even announced a sequel was in development.

Card Boy

Banned
Ok since spoilers are unmarked in this thread.

• I don't get why Luv leaves K alive when she takes Deckard.
  • Although not confirmed i think Deckard is a Replicant purely based on the fact he has been living in a radioactive city all fine and he must be a Nexus 7 or 8 as he is no longer restricted by the 4 year lifespan.
  • Ryan Gosling was perfect for the role.
  • Movie advertising has Under Seige vibes (e.g Steven Segal staring Kurt Russel). Meaning Harrison Ford is barely in the movie.

Patchy

Banned
It was better than the first movie.

It was so beautifully shot that I am still speechless.

The story does justice to the legacy of the original.

The acting, direction and score all combine to make this the film of 2017, and one of the best ever made in my opinion.

After the movie I walked around with the soundtrack playing for an hour just reflecting on the film. Its that special.

Go see it.

• Although not confirmed i think Deckard is a Replicant purely based on the fact he has been living in a radioactive city all fine and he must be a Nexus 7 or 8 as he is no longer restricted by the 4 year lifespan.
  • Movie advertising has Under Seige vibes (e.g Steven Segal staring Kurt Russel). Meaning Harrison Ford is barely in the movie.

She was a very emotional Android. She went back to prove she can beat him, that's what she also said.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I just had to click and post what an awesome title that is.

Can't wait to see it this weekend!

Yagharek

Question for others who have seen it:

In the main character's apartment there is something on the desk. I didnt catch one detail about it:

It is a book. What is the book titled?

N7.Angel

1) She destroyed him, he was really hurt and she was sure that noone would save him, she also thinks that she is superior to him.
2) Nah Deckard is human for me, the radioactivity was at a normal level when K comes to the city.
3) Gosling was perfect, can't say otherwise.

One of the biggest problem the movie has for me is that it want to say too many things, the movie should have been longer too, like 15/20 minutes longer but it's very difficult to have a movie that long in this day of age.

This was also a total set up to a sequel, right? I feel like some story strings haven't been closed and were let open intentionally.

N7.Angel

This was also a total set up to a sequel, right? I feel like some story strings haven't been closed and were let open intentionally.

Definitely, like I said in my first critic, it does a better job than SW7 connecting the past and the future of the franchise, this is definitely a movie that prepare a sequel where we'll probably see more of the rebellion and maybe a civil war between Replicants and humans.

It was better than the first movie.

It was so beautifully shot that I am still speechless.

The story does justice to the legacy of the original.

The acting, direction and score all combine to make this the film of 2017, and one of the best ever made in my opinion.

After the movie I walked around with the soundtrack playing for an hour just reflecting on the film. Its that special.

Go see it.

It is not better than movie 1. In a lot of ways, this was flabby (the edit) and overly indulgent

It is beautifully shot and the audio work is great.

It is very slow moving and I dont think the macguffin of the "child" was strong enough as a propulsion factor for the plot.

____

Just saw it an hour or so ago.

6/10 < -- Score

It's competently made and its not bad but I can't help but feel it plods. It was very slow and felt much much longer than its runtime and I can't help but feel the central plot was a bit contrived - there was a twist, that K wasn't the baby but it didn't feel like a big one or interesting one. There wasn't enough sense of jeopardy or consquence in this one. Also, the dream maker being the daughter was sorta eh. He goes to see the top dream maker, and rather conveniently she's the one. To me, its funny how they pulled an idea from BR (do androids dream?) and made it into an actual plot macguffin also. Bad. Not only is she the magic baby, she also creates dreams for replicants. ugh

I love Robin Wright but in here, her character was so one dimensional. I was surprised they got her, and they made her so wooden in this.

Best thing about the movie surprisingly for me was jared leto. He was mesmerising on screen.

Might have to think about this one a bit. As for how it ends. would have been happy to it to end outside with gosling dying instead of the almost unneccessary scene with harrison and the boring ass chick in the bubble - I think she was poorly cast. She was just so uninteresting that you can't help but not care. They also spent so little time with her that she's not a character that the audience can care about.

Gosling was great in it and Denis pulled some great acting out of harrison ford

+ talk about specific scenes

The minute he got to orphan town and walked into the incinerator, they didnt need to spend anymore time with the black guy, he should have just wandered off and found the horse

the scenes in tyrrell with the water and lights were beautiful

I dont know how he got back to the city from junk town considering how fucked his vehicle was.

Luv as a villian had no dimensionality compared to Rutger. She was like a female terminator.

I don't quite believe they would get Rachel's eye colour wrong.

decker vs K/Joe with their punch up. I'm watching it going, why don't people just talk right away. "etc el". One of those scenes in movies where the whole thing would have basically not happened had someone just talked quickly.

Rebel Replicant woman with the bung eye bringing that photo with her was such a show the audience bit and totally unneccessary. I thought that whole sequence was expositionary. "oh you thought you were the child #TWIST!!"

in the future, with their tech and whatnot - some random woman can walk into the morgue and steal the bones and kill co co? Um, okay? Where's the survelliance/witnesses/audience? Same random woman then goes to LVPD and kills robin wright? Um, yeah okay?

anyhow. might need to watch this again in 3D. I liked it. I didn't love it.

Just got out. Very good indeed. I cried several times, but don't take that as a comment on the film - I'm just an emotional wreck at the moment.

It looked beautiful, but the music is nothing compared to Vangelis' original score.

They totally should stop doing CGI characters in film until they can do it without it looking bloody obvious if you ask me though.

Did Robin Wright's police chief offer K sexytiem at one point? Or did I imagine that?

Loved the ending though - time to die. Though I'm an idiot as I still don't quite understand how the girl in the bubble is the child. I understand that she has the best memories, so that's why K got them from her, but was there more?

shaneo632

This film fucked my shit up fam. LOVED it. I also really appreciated how the trailers misrepresented scenes to avoid spoiling stuff, like
not showing Ana de Armas as a hologram to the point of even changing the clothes she was wearing

It could've been a bit shorter but I was surprised how emotionally affected I was by the final scene in particular.

shaneo632

They totally should stop doing CGI characters in film until they can do it without it looking bloody obvious if you ask me though.

In this instance I actually felt like it worked in the film's favour
as it made the "fake" Rachel look "off" compared to the 1982 one, cemented by Deckard saying she had green eyes

K had a tough life.

Loved the ending though - time to die. Though I'm an idiot as I still don't quite understand how the girl in the bubble is the child. I understand that she has the best memories, so that's why K got them from her, but was there more?

What did you not understand exactly? She doesn't have the best memories, those are her, real memories. K got her DNA and memories, K is technically a male clone.

Mr. Tibbs

I'm surprised by how quickly the film went by, especially considering it was apparently the longest blockbuster since Interstellar.

Why are unmarked spoilers allowed in this thread? Don't most big movies have an OT and a separate spoiler thread, or is that old news?

Why are unmarked spoilers allowed in this thread? Don't most big movies have an OT and a separate spoiler thread, or is that old news?

The OT is the spoiler thread now. Makes sense. These aren't video games where folks will be stopping in mid-playthrough to share thoughts and questions. It's the space to discuss the film. What is there, really, to discuss about a film without spoilers?

The review thread is where folks can post their non-spoiler thoughts.

graffix13

Watched the Final Cut of the original last night to prepare for this. Never saw the Final Cut, and I still say Deckard is human. I took the unicorn origami to signify that Rachael was a unicorn.

At any rate, I do like how the film leaves it open to interpretation. Sounds like 2049 doesn't answer this either. Good. Leave it as a good geek conversation piece.

The OT is the spoiler thread now. Makes sense. These aren't video games where folks will be stopping in mid-playthrough to share thoughts and questions. It's the space to discuss the film. What is there, really, to discuss about a film without spoilers?

I understand, it didn't used to be that way, so I was just checking if the rules had changed. Thanks.

Why are spoilers always unmarked in movie OTs? Wouldn’t a timeframe of spoilers work better seeing as some may just want impressions.

I’d be all over this tonight if my Alamo wasn’t filled to the brim:/

Gotta wait till next week now.

Why are spoilers always unmarked in movie OTs? Wouldn’t a timeframe of spoilers work better seeing as some may just want impressions.

I’d be all over this tonight if my Alamo wasn’t filled to the brim:/

Gotta wait till next week now.

I literally just posted why, at least why as I see it:

fade_

tfw you get the email that your moviepass is arriving soon last week and it's still not here before Friday.

Laughing at the "Hopefully Ford dies early in the movie" crowd. Hi Jett.

I figured Denis would be capable of getting a good performance out of Ford, but admittedly he was my biggest concern out of the lot for awhile.

I'm actually kind of impressed that Denis and Co. had the stones to
kill K off and keep Deckard alive instead. I'd figured Deckard was a goner from Day 1.

The really big thing I got spoiled on last weekend was
the fakeout on K not actually being Deckard and Rachel's kid and that the child was instead the woman seen only a couple times in the trailers.
I really wish I hadn't seen that, as I'd have loved to have been taken aback in the theaters with that reveal.

shaneo632

Anyone else get teary-eyed when
CGI Rachel showed up
and
Deckard met his daughter
? I did not really expect this film to make me cry.

I figured Denis would be capable of getting a good performance out of Ford, but admittedly he was my biggest concern out of the lot for awhile.

I'm actually kind of impressed that Denis and Co. had the stones to
kill K off and keep Deckard alive instead. I'd figured Deckard was a goner from Day 1.

The really big thing I got spoiled on last weekend was
the fakeout on K not actually being Deckard and Rachel's kid and that the child was instead the woman seen only a couple times in the trailers.
I really wish I hadn't seen that, as I'd have loved to have been taken aback in the theaters with that reveal.

this is the spoiler tag free thread.

that said - I didnt know and I didn't think the spoilers were that affecting tbh. It was sorta more "oh?" versus "i see dead people shook".

Anyone else get teary-eyed when
CGI Rachel showed up
and
Deckard met his daughter
? I did not really expect this film to make me cry.

I got teary when K found out he was not special and just a mere copy of someone he believed he was. I think the whole Dave Bautista part was also very emotional and straight up set the tone.

this is the spoiler tag free thread.

that said - I didnt know and I didn't think the spoilers were that affecting tbh. It was sorta more "oh?" versus "i see dead people shook".

I'm well aware of that. I just think those particular spoilers are ones decent enough to continue hiding in spoiler tags for at least a little while longer.

Top Bottom