• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's not a ton of incentive for non-developers to install this beta on an iPhone (no huge marquee features that'll actually work yet, since so much relies on iOS 11-compatible apps being published or other users also using iOS 11), but there's all the incentive in the world to install this on an iPad.
Control Center is enough for me.

Man that old one was cumbersome and poorly thought out.

Control Center is enough for me.

Man that old one was cumbersome and poorly thought out.

That's true - the new one is less attractive but vastly more useful (and that's the sort of change iOS needs - too much of the design is about photographing well instead of working well).

kiguel182

Installing now on my iPad mini 4. If it's bad I'll factory reset it, everything is in the cloud anyway so whatever.

Edit: won't try on my SE because of battery concerns and bugs are just more annoying on a phone that you are constantly using. My iPad is used mainly for Safari, YouTube and Netflix so it should be fine.

Enzom21

Q6Cmjcr.png
If you need to downgrade.

kiguel182

It seems like the files integration with Google Drive is just it opening the same front end that Google uses. Bummer.

I’ll probably switch to iCloud Drive next week or something once I have time to do the transition.

Edit: hopefully iCloud works well on Windows because despite having a MacBook I do some work on Windows and I like working directly on the cloud and that’s what I do with Drive.

Edit2: beta is also a bit laggy in the menu animations and swiping stuff. To be expected. Also, some flickering on the podcast app altought the app now looks much better. I like the Music design language and it’s cool that they updated most of their apps to use that. Podcasts needed it for sure.

epmode

I was excited about the Files app on iPad but the OneDrive implementation is pretty lousy. It just opens a small window in the center of the screen like a shitty version of the OneDrive app. None of the drag and drop stuff works.I hope they're planning on integrating it as well as iCloud Drive as I already have 1 TB with OneDrive!

The beta's pretty fun otherwise. It's definitely a bit touchy on iPad with some task switching bugs and issues with smooth scrolling so you might want to hold off.

wachie

Just so people know. I have the latest betas installed on my iPhone, watch and Mac. Battery life has dropped around 25-30% easily.

It seems like the files integration with Google Drive is just it opening the same front end that Google uses. Bummer.

I was pretty excited about the Files app on iPad but the OneDrive implementation is pretty lousy. It just opens a small window in the center of the screen like a shitty version of the OneDrive app. None of the drag and drop stuff works.I hope they're planning on integrating it as well as iCloud Drive as I already have 1 TB with OneDrive!

I was worried about this too once I first saw it, but after re-watching the keynote reveal of the files app and seeing how well integrated Box was I’m convinced this is just waiting for an update to the OneDrive/Google Drive/Dropbox apps.

Why do they recommend you "archive" an iTunes backup? Can't you just restore and have iOS 10 latest download?

Because it overwrites the backup if you don't archive it. If you upgrade to iOS 11, overwrite your 10.3.3 backup, then reinstall 10.3.3 it won't accept your new 11 PB backup.

kiguel182

Also got the error of the charger not being recognized and it works if I plug the charger after plugging the cable in the iPad and not the other way around. Weird bug.

And yeah, maybe Google needs to update their app. I’ll wait and see but I’m really inclined to switch now, it probably makes more sense given my situation.

Also got the error of the charger not being recognized and it works if I plug the charger after plugging the cable in the iPad and not the other way around. Weird bug.

And yeah, maybe Google needs to update their app. I’ll wait and see but I’m really inclined to switch now, it probably makes more sense given my situation.

Same charger bug on my iPad Air 2.

jts

...hate me...
I don't think I can ever go back to betas on my Mac or iPhone, but I installed it on Apple TV with no issues so far.

Netflix works... haven't tried HBO but it better work too.

AirPods handling is better, though still a bit iffy. Automatic day/night theme changing is good. Port begging that to the Nintendo Switch.

Downloading this completely bricked my phone, lmao. All I can get now is a black screen that says support.apple.com/iphone/restore; and no matter how many times I try, the phone won't restore, update, or reset to factory settings. It's just stuck. Guess I'll be making a trip to Jump Plus either this weekend or next.

epmode

I posted this in the other iOS 11 thread as well:

Found a relatively big problem for me in Safari on an iPad.

I can no longer open the m.neogaf.com links to the last page of a thread in a new tab. You know how iOS 11 now allows you to drag links into other apps? It looks like it’s interfering with my ability to hold my finger on one of those arrows so the New Tab prompt never appears. The prompt only works if I press on the thread itself, not the arrow that brings me to the last page of the thread.

Those arrows never worked properly in the mobile site; You had to hold in a very specific area for it to work in iOS 10 but the new functionality really broke them.

Since this will probably have to be addressed on GAF's side, I'd like to bring this up to a mod that deals with technical issues but I'm not sure who that would be. Any ideas?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I posted this in the other iOS 11 thread as well:

Found a relatively big problem for me in Safari on an iPad.

I can no longer open the m.neogaf.com links to the last page of a thread in a new tab. You know how iOS 11 now allows you to drag links into other apps? It looks like it’s interfering with my ability to hold my finger on one of those arrows so the New Tab prompt never appears. The prompt only works if I press on the thread itself, not the arrow that brings me to the last page of the thread.

Those arrows never worked properly in the mobile site; You had to hold in a very specific area for it to work in iOS 10 but the new functionality really broke them.

Since this will probably have to be addressed on GAF's side, I'd like to bring this up to a mod that deals with technical issues but I'm not sure who that would be. Any ideas?
Just tested this, works fine for me most of the time, other times it just goes to the last page (or unread if that's your preference).

This is most likely due to a bug in the current iOS build of Safari on iOS 11. The iOS 10 beta exhibited similar issues at one point.

epmode

Just tested this, works fine for me most of the time, other times it just goes to the last page (or unread if that's your preference).

This is most likely due to a bug in the current iOS build of Safari on iOS 11. The iOS 10 beta exhibited similar issues at one point.

Wait, you can actually get the New Tab prompt to appear by holding your fingers on one of those arrows? The link works fine if I just press on it normally but I haven’t been able to get the New Tab prompt to appear once. The same thing happens on the Edit Post button Which beta version are you on?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wait, you can actually get the New Tab prompt to appear by holding your fingers on one of those arrows? The link works fine if I just press on it normally but I haven't been able to get the New Tab prompt to appear once. Which beta version are you on?

Yes, on the public beta.

On the flip-side my Safari doesn't work with content blockers, which apparently is supposed to be working according to someone earlier in this thread.

Safari is buggy on the betas.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Downloading this completely bricked my phone, lmao. All I can get now is a black screen that says support.apple.com/iphone/restore; and no matter how many times I try, the phone won't restore, update, or reset to factory settings. It's just stuck. Guess I'll be making a trip to Jump Plus either this weekend or next.

iTunes, DFU mode, 10.3.3 beta ipsw manually downloaded, opt-click restore and select it.

Fliesen

i always run the betas on my iPad, never on my daily driver iPhone.

iOS 11 beta 1 was crazy unstable on my iPad Air (1) - made the device super unresponsive at times.

DOWN

Banned
I'll jump on with my iPhone 7 Plus when Beta 3 or 4 hits but I'm gonna do iPad Air 2 right now. Though im totally forgetting what is supposed to be good about the update for regular iPad if anything

iTunes, DFU mode, 10.3.3 beta ipsw manually downloaded, opt-click restore and select it.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to get my phone into DFU and tried to manually restore 10.3.3 - but I encountered the same problem. The "Restoring iPhone Firmware" bar on iTunes fills up, but the bar on my phone only goes halfway; then I get a message saying, "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (56)."

Edit: Talked to Apple support, and it's apparently a hardware issue. Oh bother!

DOWN

Banned
Never put betas on your phone. It’s murder for your battery.
Around 2 months in, the battery life is usually back in normal range with the beta updates. I couldn't possibly wait till the next iPhone to get improvements this big on iOS. It's too exciting.

MilkLizard

This runs very poor on my 1st gen iPad Air. Tons of lag, certain apps not responding and the App Store doesn't load. Going to restore later and just wait for the final release and read some impressions before updating.

This runs very poor on my 1st gen iPad Air. Tons of lag, certain apps not responding and the App Store doesn't load. Going to restore later and just wait for the final release and read some impressions before updating.

That's unfortunate. I had similar issues with the first dev release on my Air 2. This public beta has been running notably better outside of a few bugs.

subrock

Weirdly specific question, but is anyone else using iOS 11 unable to play downloaded videos from amazon prime?

I seem to remember there being a specific known issue for video playback in the Prime video app

edit: nvm, seems to be resolved in DB2

MilkLizard

That's unfortunate. I had similar issues with the first dev release on my Air 2. This public beta has been running notably better outside of a few bugs.

Yeah but honestly I kind of expected it. The Air starts to show it's age by now but maybe the final release runs fine. I'll upgrade to a Pro 12 inch soon anyhow to replace my Air and Macbook.

Top Bottom