• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I kinda preferred Sakuraba's work in the tri-Ace games though.

Just wondering, storywise and characterwise... Xillia > Graces?

.JayZii

Banned
I have never played a Tales game before and have only ever been mildly interested in the series. After looking up videos on the battle system though, I don't think I can put it off any longer. This looks really fast and fun and I'll probably be there on day one to pick it up.

Also, didn't John from 8-4 say they were the ones localizing this? If so, I guess its just another reason to jump into the series.

My bf just read that and he just gave me this look (cuz he's a huge Sakuraba fan).

It's literally true though! Sakuraba has talked about how for a Tales soundtrack he is given significantly fewer resources and almost no time to work, so he winds up doing crappy sound programming and reusing shit. His work is much better (relative to whatever baseline opinion of Sakuraba one has) in Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile, etc. because he has the resources to actually do the job.

I meant subtitle. I should've clarified. Sorry!

I knew what you meant. :p

Also, didn't John from 8-4 say they were the ones localizing this?

8-4 have traditionally worked on Tales in the US and as a result the Tales titles have some of the best JRPG localizations the English language has ever seen, so yes, I agree.

In Tales, I basically assume upfront that whenever there's a problematic element in the story, they will do it wrong. Racism? Dealt with in a painful and heavy-handed way. Romance? Ickified and weird. Kids? Annoying. Technobabble? Completely inscrutable and omnipresent. The best Tales can really manage narratively is to stay away from all this stuff and focus on elements that are hard to get wrong (and even then about the most they ever manage is 2/3rds of Vesperia, and that all still has Karol.)

I mean, I believe you that it's fine, but it doesn't take a lot to assume that a Tales game is going to have narrative elements that are so bad as to be actively offensive.
I believe that vesperia , xillia , rebirth doesn't follow this trend.
( believing as having played them )
Heck i don't see what was wrong between the racisms parts of Symphonia for example.
I do agree that they never did a romance properly.
You can sub in literally any non-Legendia Tales game and describe it with this. Rushed and underbudget tossed-off Sakuraba plus a legion of untalented cronies.

Yeah, what's wrong with "Tales of Graces f |OT|" exactly?
Given the lenght of some Tales ( abyss, symphonia, vesperia) i have a hard time to think they were in any waypossible rushed or anything of the sort . Original Graces,Xillia destiny2,legendia i can agree but making all of them in the same bag is unfair IMO given that they try a lot to be different in their systems ( and presentation ).

What does "untalented cronies" mean ??

The former.

Hasn't been a tales game in the states with dual audio. Not sure if there has been an actual confirmation though. I do feel tales english VA have been pretty solid from symphonia on.

You probably weren't around when i dismissed that idea myself in the previous Graces F thread then ..
Namco doesn't do this ... but they seems to do it for one title ... If they learned that this is requested enough for ni no kuni , i 'm just throwing the idea to see if anyone as a confirmation or not ... There is just a serious lack of communication about this game. ( from NB )

Well no Tales import gaf is too small. Xillia just has better (much) design and visuals to me.
6+ people is not enough to get a least a trend of opinions ?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just woke up. Ugh, what did I miss?

Is it really that bad or do you just not find it as good as Graces?

Well no Tales import gaf is too small. Xillia just has better (much) design and visuals to me.

Meh, Aeana just got turned off by its battle system and how the game handles mechanics overall such as the shops. I liked Xillia and I think it's better as a game overall compared to Graces but Graces has a much more solid battle system. My copy of the game is collecting dust still, whereas it's fun to go back to Graces. Ugh

Datschge

Tales of Eternia came before the split between Team Destiny and Team Symphonia. They were established with Tales of Destiny 2 (PS2) and Tales of Symphonia, respectively.
Correct, although there is still the neat tidbit that the typical "Team Destiny" project lead and main programmer (Kazuya Ishizuka and Ryuichi Ishizawa, also worked on ToD PS1) worked on Narikiri Dungeon while Eternia was led by later "Team Symphonia" project lead (Takashi Hasegawa) and otherwise consisted of later "Team Destiny" staff. ;)

You can sub in literally any non-Legendia Tales game and describe it with this. Rushed and underbudget tossed-off Sakuraba plus a legion of untalented cronies.
That "legion" is essentially limited to Tamura (unless you count the sound effects staff), and there are plenty people who like his stuff (e.g. "A Vow of Unity" and "Fury Sparks" in Vesperia) even though it's often decreasing overall consistency and quality of the soundtrack (which apparently was Sakuraba's job to ensure while Tamura got free reign to add anything if I interpret the insightful SEMO interview correctly, would perfectly explain tracks like e.g. "Lying in the Darkness" in Graces, that one track is sooo unbelievable terribad). As for Sakuraba's contributions to Tales I usually consider it as "fast food" while tri-Ace/tri-Crescendo and others often ask for "haute cuisine". I personally actually like plenty of the "fast food" as he's forced to do simpler pieces than usual (the lighter orchestral and piano pieces he's now doing everywhere essentially started in the Tales series). Really liking his town themes (e.g. Vesperia, Graces, Xillia). With Xillia finally being a solo effort the soundtrack became consistent and overall quality actually comparable to his non-Tales works, and I like it a lot for it. But I also think that after Eternia Sakuraba's contribution was constantly improving (while Tamura's got worse) which seems not to be a widespread opinion.

Thoraxes

They should just hire me to do their music.
I would work for cheap, maintain the aesthetic, and evolve it in awesome ways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
would perfectly explain tracks like e.g. "Lying in the Darkness" in Graces, that one track is sooo unbelievable terribad).
So bad.

This Graces dungeon theme was pretty bad too. I really dislike it, and it doesn't help that I spent a lot of time in that dungeon.

And yessss, you picked one of my favourite town themes from Xillia. So good. Xillia's soundtrack is quite mature and quite consistent on the whole. Admittedly, because I was grinding in a certain area, I got pretty sick of a few themes, but the soundtrack is great compared to Graces'. Though I wonder if he had more resources for Xillia's soundtrack given that it was an anniversary game.

Datschge

Though I wonder if he had more resources for Xillia's soundtrack given that it was an anniversary game.
It's significantly shorter than past Tales soundtracks, so probably told to focus on quality instead quantity while budget was still the same.

Also I found "From the Faraway Distance Towards Here" somewhat bearable, it actually has development and is atmospheric. "Lying in the Darkness" is a f-ing four seconds (!) three notes (!) lo-fi "melody" repeated for over two minutes (!) on the CD. x_X

Graces has one pretty good dungeon track, but I'm not sure who it's composed by. Sounds like Sakuraba but I don't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-SrdaMWAGI
That one is typical Tamura (drum loops and modern synths). =) His current band (he's bass).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What are these.... awful... tracks you are posting from Graces :\

God, this can't be true!

HOW AWFUL!!!!
I've said several times before that Graces doesn't have a very good soundtrack. D:

The instrumentation isn't awesome either. The samples... Well, I try looking at it this way, at least they aren't like Sonic 4's atrocious samples because Senoue doesn't know how to do synth well.

kayos90 said:
Yeah, Graces music is like from the SNES era. And not in a good way, rofl.
Ohhh, that's harsh.

I'm very disappointed that the ending version of the theme song had poor instrument sampling (the percussion) as well, since I was expecting more out of that.

Indeed. Music has always been the Tales series weakest point.

And well, the weak point of almost every game I've played with Sakuraba's "magic touch."

Although, the one game his work (apparently) shined in (Valkyrie Profile?), I have yet to play.

Now Tales of Legendia? SUPER AMAZING SOUNDTRACK. Go Shiina is love.

vic2020

Neo Member
The terrible soundtrack, along with the off-putting character designs(I especially loath the the look of the blue haired guy) led to me cancelling my pre-order. I like Sakuraba's music in VP/SO/RoF but in ToGf its completely dull. I would buy this if only it had custom soundtrack support...

kayos90

The terrible soundtrack, along with the off-putting character designs(I especially loath the the look of the blue haired guy) led to me cancelling my pre-order. I like Sakuraba's music in VP/SO/RoF but in ToGf its completely dull. I would buy this if only it had custom soundtrack support...

That stinks. Graces has probably one of the best combat systems in all RPGs this generation. There's only a handful that I prefer more. You're missing out.

sakuraba in vesperia / xillia was very good ...

I haven't played Graces F yet ( the only tales of missing in my collection [yeah i have played all the others including GBAs ] ).. this is gonna be a fun ride.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is unfortunate, because the "game" part of the game is extremely fun and it definitely makes up for any of the tiny presentation shortcomings that the game features.

Even "Lively Lake Shore"? =(

Just heard it.... not bad!

Oh no!

The gameplay is so fun, you are missing it :(

kayos90

Ohhh, that's harsh.

I'm very disappointed that the ending version of the theme song had poor instrument sampling (the percussion) as well, since I was expecting more out of that.

Yeah, that was a bit harsh. Hm... It's not absolute crap but it doesn't sound like this gen. I guess that's the Wii's fault though.

vic2020

Neo Member
This is unfortunate, because the "game" part of the game is extremely fun and it definitely makes up for any of the tiny presentation shortcomings that the game features.

Is the battle theme in the demo unique to the f arc? Those tracks posted above are much better than what I heard in the demo or listened through on youtube. I do really like this track as a battle theme over the demo version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqoPRqHvnU

RPGCrazied

I guess I'm just a Motoi whore. I love all his music. Sure he has a few bad tracks in his OSTs, but they're a lot worse out there.

Cedric

I find that, apart from some battle themes, Tales of music isn't really good... Which is weird since Sakuraba has great music in games like Valkyrie Profile. Within the Tales series, I think Symphonia (Like a Glint of Light, Fighting of the Spirit & Fatalize are awesome) and Phantasia have the best tracks.

I can't think of any good battle themes apart the ones I mentioned. Meaning of Birth is good, though I don't like it as much as before.

Omg, I hate that song. So annoying especially when you spent hours there. Ugh...

Really? :/ I think that's one of the few good songs from Graces.

And yes, Sakuraba usually phoning these in with a few greats sprinkled in, as described above. I'm more used to him snatching my attention by progging out thusly.

Sakuraba is pretty good with prog. There's one great prog track from Valkyrie Profile 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RC_WAtbgG0

I like his stuff in RoF too. He should do more prog rock stuff.

But ultimately I want to see him try his hand at a new Baten Kaitos game if it gets made. I'm not sure if he can keep the same quality as the first two but who knows.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I may be wrong on this, but isn't that the Battle Theme for the last dungeon or whatever (someplace close to the end)?
You're right.

To the poster with the original question, Future Arc has its own set of music not on the soundtrack (for obvious reasons), yeah. The costumes' battle themes aren't on the soundtrack either.

Cedric said:
I can't think of any good battle themes apart the ones I mentioned.
Here are some from Tales of Xillia:
School Costume DLC Battle Theme
Daring Sword
That Sword, Dancing Magnificently
Indomitable Fists That Know No Equal
My Sword Shall Open the Way
That Fist, Blinking Decision

Final boss theme is good too.

kayos90

You're right.

To the poster with the original question, Future Arc has its own set of music not on the soundtrack (for obvious reasons), yeah. The costumes' battle themes aren't on the soundtrack either.

Here are some from Tales of Xillia:
School Costume DLC Battle Theme
Daring Sword
That Sword, Dancing Magnificently
Indomitable Fists That Know No Equal
My Sword Shall Open the Way
That Fist, Blinking Decision

Final boss theme is good too.

I like Milla's 3rd Battle Song. Probably my favorite one out of all the normal battle themes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Milla's 3rd Battle Song. Probably my favorite one out of all the normal battle themes.
I think all of Milla's battle themes are quite refreshing for the series since we usually get stuff heavy with prog or synth most of the time. It's kinda too bad I started the game with Jude's side first from a musical point of view; but from a narrative point of view, it's good that I started the game with Jude's side to get a better idea of the narrative. Dual protagonists in Xillia was a nice concept, but I don't think it was executed very well in some respects.

But with that said, I like Jude's later two battle themes a lot, especially his third one. But the victory theme in that game is so... well, I don't like it, lol.

Seda

The ToS/ToA/ToV songs that I can remember off the top of my head.

Flanoir
Halure
Meltokio
ToS Battle Theme 1
Ossa Trail
Karma (and Meaning of Birth)
ToS Final Dungeon
ToS mini game music (doot doodoo doot doot doot.....catchy)
Edge of a Decision (Abyss battle theme 2)
Fury Sparks (Flynn Duel)

Probably many more. I actually seem to remember most of Symphonia. That's to be expected though as I've gone through the game about 15 times.

Rpgmonkey

I remember a bunch of songs from Rebirth, Symphonia, and Destiny 2.

I actually really like the soundtracks in those three. Good amount of variety and Rebirth in particular has some songs that are a little different for a Tales game, but they worked really well.

Verelios

I remember a bunch of songs from Rebirth, Symphonia, and Destiny 2.

I actually really like the soundtracks in those three. Good amount of variety and Rebirth in particular has some songs that are a little different for a Tales game, but they worked really well.

Yes.

Also, Eternia was pretty good in that regard.

Top Bottom